Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Re: Reading preferences

debbook wrote:
You can only buy/ download Kindle books if you live in the US. Though I am sure they will expand at some point. It has do do with the affiliation of Amazon and US cell companies. They don't have any yet with those outside the US.

ponie wrote:

marciliogq wrote:

So many wonderful indications of books. "A life is too short for so many books". Dog on it and Prayers for Sale have been indicated for a lot of people. I'd like to read them very much, but it's a bit complicated to buy books cause I'm from Brazil, overseas. Shippings are very high, dolar is too expensive if we compare currency, and we still take risks of paying importation taxes. So, I'd love to share information with you about most of these books you indicate but it's a far distant dream for me.

gl, suspense, mistery and horror books are among my favorite ones. My confession is: I love books, anyway.

marciliogq, you are from Brazil?  You are Brazilian?  You are working in Brazil?  Are there book stores like B&N?  From what you say I am guessing not.  Libraries?  As we have discussed earlier- loving and preferring the feel of the page, the cover, the binding, the feel of the book in the hand or on the lap BUT...and I don't really know how it works...would a Kindle allow you to get books you cannot get your hands on in your country???  I know they are expensive, I was just wondering.

WOW! increases my appreciation for many choices of books on demand, and always on hand, very accessible, and often at 20% to 40% off!!!  I take so much for granted.
ponie
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

ponie wrote:

marciliogq, you are from Brazil?  You are Brazilian?  You are working in Brazil?  Are there book stores like B&N?  From what you say I am guessing not.  Libraries?  As we have discussed earlier- loving and preferring the feel of the page, the cover, the binding, the feel of the book in the hand or on the lap BUT...and I don't really know how it works...would a Kindle allow you to get books you cannot get your hands on in your country???  I know they are expensive, I was just wondering.

Hello all,

First of all I'm Brazilian and live in the country, in a small town where I give classes in a Letters course of a governmental university. Secondly, we have bookstores like B&N here in Brazil but only in the capitals or even in big cities such as São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro. Where I live we have two libraries but the books that are available are most of them Brazilian Literature (which I love and have read all my life)  and almost nothing of foreign literature. Most of the books I have are bought from the internet. I have some classical books and tried to buy some used ones from BN, Amazon or others similar to them but the shipping is so high that doesn't worth it. So I prefer buying classical books which are less expensive and can buy them here in Brazil. This B&N book club is a unique opportunity I have to have contact to contemporary literature and increase my readings as well as discussing literature and get some interesting friends.

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Getting Rid of Books

It is *very* rare that I don't keep a book (although I don't usually buy books I don't plan on keeping, either; if I know I'm only going to read it once, I check it out of the library). I often loan books to trusted friends and family members. I know you said that your local library doesn't take donations; neither does mine, but the friends of the library organization does and they put on a GREAT booksale once a year. Have you tried local school systems? If you're not too particular on getting something back, you could always freecycle or do the book crossing thing (you register the book online with a serial number and then leave it in a public place, and the next person who reads it can also put it online and then you can track the travels of your book). 

JerseyAngel wrote:

I have a question... what do you all do with books you don't keep? I just don't have the room to keep every book I read. I keep the special ones but the others have to go. My local library doesn't take donations. I know I could give them to Goodwill, I've looked for other charities that take books without much luck. Then there's always Ebay but it doesn't seem worth the aggravation for the amount I would get for them. I've also heard of book swapping sites but haven't been able to locate a good one. Would love to know, for those of you that do part with books, what you do with them? If you know of any good book swapping sites, let me know!

Stephanie

Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

Re: Getting Rid of Books

krb2g wrote:
If you're not too particular on getting something back, you could always freecycle or do the book crossing thing (you register the book online with a serial number and then leave it in a public place, and the next person who reads it can also put it online and then you can track the travels of your book). 

No, the ones I would give up, I wouldn't care if I got back or not. Since I just don't have the room, I would rather pass them on to someone else that could enjoy them. I've never heard of the book crossing thing... are there websites for that? Thanks!!

Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

marciliogq wrote:

Hello all,
First of all I'm Brazilian and live in the country, in a small town where I give classes in a Letters course of a governmental university. Secondly, we have bookstores like B&N here in Brazil but only in the capitals or even in big cities such as São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro. Where I live we have two libraries but the books that are available are most of them Brazilian Literature (which I love and have read all my life)  and almost nothing of foreign literature. Most of the books I have are bought from the internet. I have some classical books and tried to buy some used ones from BN, Amazon or others similar to them but the shipping is so high that doesn't worth it. So I prefer buying classical books which are less expensive and can buy them here in Brazil. This B&N book club is a unique opportunity I have to have contact to contemporary literature and increase my readings as well as discussing literature and get some interesting friends.

Hello, marciliogq, and Welcome--I never fail to be amazed at how the internet "shrinks" the world.  It is wonderful that you can sit at your computer in Brazil and "visit" with those of us who are here in the U.S.--and in many different states--and, if we happen to be online at the same time, it can all happen almost instantaneously.  There are, or at least have been in other FL sessions, people from some other countries as well.

By a "Letters" course, do you mean books, literature, or something else?  It is interesting to me that you teach at a university in Brazil; I have a daughter-in-law who comes from Mexico and teaches Spanish at a university in this country.  Anyway, I'm glad, too, that B&N gives us all this opportunity to discuss books and share perceptions with others all over the world.

Joan

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I am surprised your library doesn't take donations. Our little town one does, to sell. I haven't read through everything yet here so someone might have mentioned these but places like swaptree.com and some others are good. Swaptree, you can list what you have to swap and see what you want but also you can swap them for DVDs and CDs too. Or if you join goodreads, you can have convos with others, start your own book discussions and also list all your books (or some) and there is a place to click if its a book you would be willing to swap. I did get an email on there from a woman who saw a book I had and wanted to know if I would swap it for something she had, so we did. We just paid our own postage to send the books. Depending on the books, you can also check with your schools, they will often take donated books for their library or to sell and don't forget the old yard sale. Next time you ever have one, put out the books or if you see someone is having one, see if they will let you put out your books with their yard sale. People often will.

JerseyAngel wrote:

I have a question... what do you all do with books you don't keep? I just don't have the room to keep every book I read. I keep the special ones but the others have to go. My local library doesn't take donations. I know I could give them to Goodwill, I've looked for other charities that take books without much luck. Then there's always Ebay but it doesn't seem worth the aggravation for the amount I would get for them. I've also heard of book swapping sites but haven't been able to locate a good one. Would love to know, for those of you that do part with books, what you do with them? If you know of any good book swapping sites, let me know!

Stephanie

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Re: Getting Rid of Books

Jersey Angel,

The book crossing website is: http://www.bookcrossing.com/. Like I said, I can't often bear to part with a book, so I don't use it a lot, but I think it's a really neat idea.

JerseyAngel wrote:
No, the ones I would give up, I wouldn't care if I got back or not. Since I just don't have the room, I would rather pass them on to someone else that could enjoy them. I've never heard of the book crossing thing... are there websites for that? Thanks!!

gl
gl
0 Kudos

Re: Reading preferences & online bookswapping sites

Thank you for all the recommendations - I haven't read any of them yet and will be checking them out! :smileyhappy:

We haven't got HBO either though I was tempted when I saw the No. 1 Detective Agency series. I'm hoping that they'll put it on DVD after the first season and get it or borrow it then!  It sounds terrific.

I sometimes use www.paperbackswap and www.bookmooch to trade books online.  Paperbackswap is stricter about the condition that the books must be in and they give you 2 book credit for referrals. If you list something on your wishlist on PBS and it comes up, Paperbackswap will hold the book for you for 48 hours.  Bookmooch doesn't give you credit for referrals but gives you 1/10th credit for each book you list or transaction that you rate.  Bookmooch doesn't reserve books on your wishlist, instead it informs everyone that's listed the book that the book is available. Bookmooch has a better search mechanism, you list what you like and it searches through amazon, then you select whether to list the book on your inventory or wishlist.

People list old schoolbooks/college texts too, so I've found it a good way to clear out my shelves for new things.  I've gotten some good books and cookbooks from both sites.  For some reason, the books I want come up in paperbackswap more often but I am able to send out plenty of books to bookmooch.  

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

I Just started reading The Commoner last night. It seems like it will be a quick read so I have selected a second book

(Shakespeare's Kitchen 

to fill in the gap between FL selections (still hoping).

CathyB

gl
gl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Stephanie,

I use two bookswapping sites often and am very happy with both of them.

Paperbackswap.com (PBS) and Bookmooch.com (BM).  PBS is stricter about the books that they allow you to post, no damage whatsoever, no ARCs, etc. and the timeframe when you have to mail the books (within 1 week).  I tend to order more books from PBS and they sometimes have cookbooks and books that are on my wishlist.  They hold the books for you for 48 hours if you've listed the book on your wish list.  PBS gives you points for referring people to the site and for when you mail out a book but not for any other acts.   BM allows you to list books that are not as in good condition, but you should describe the problem in the condition notes to avoid any miscommunications.  BM allows you to delay sending the book out, as long as you notify the requestor in advance, so you can delay for 2 weeks or so before sending the book.  BM includes members from overseas and gives you double points for mailing it to them.  You can choose to only mail within your country or mooch from within your country - which is less expensive.  But there are also BM Angels - people who request and mail books overseas for other members when the posters don't mail overseas!    BM doesn't give referral points but it gives you 1/10th point for each book you list in your inventory (and deducts when you remove a book) to incentivize increasing inventory, BM also gives 1/10th point for rating the transaction when you receive a book.  BM doesn't hold a book on your wishlist for you - it does email everyone who listed the book on their wishlist that the book is available, so whoever acts first gets it! 

I've found that using both sites together works best for me, though you have to remember to update both inventories when a book is mooched.

Hope this helps!

Gaby

Message Edited by gl on 05-04-2009 09:44 AM
gl
gl
0 Kudos

Hi Pen21,

Thank you for the suggestions! I haven't read any of these and will check them out!

Gaby

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Buying First Look Books

biljounc63 wrote:

I have been involved with the the last three first looks and have signed up for the next one as well. I did not like A Fortunate Age, I liked Sag Harbor and I loved The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. That being said the first two I have not gone and purchased/ordered the books reading the ARC was plenty. I am very tempted to order Physic Book I enjoyed both the story and the packaging of the book.

Do you find yourselves ordering the final version of the books?

I feel the same way about the last three books we've read and am looking forward to this one as well. I was thinking of ordering the books that I liked, but changed my mind because the ARC seems special to me, in fact I've even kept the notes from the authors that were included and the letter from B&N. It just makes me feel really special to be a part of this community.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

[ Edited ]

I am right now finishing the new Black Dagger Brotherhood book

Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series #7)  

It's the best one so far, it has over 500 pages and I'm just now wishing it had 500 more.

I also read over the weekend Angie Fox's 

The Accidental Demon Slayer  

I just found out she was a local author from St. Louis, it was hilarious I don't think I ever stopped laughing, her humor shows throughout the whole book. Of course you have to like paranormal romance to enjoy it, but I do, so I did! 

Message Edited by dhaupt on 05-04-2009 09:53 AM
gl
gl
0 Kudos

Hi Dsaff,

Thank you for suggesting Spencer Quinn. I haven't read any of that series.  I love Agatha Christie, too.  My uncle introduced me to her books when I was young and that started my love for detective novels.   He used to lend me books each weekend from my grandfather's library and we'd discuss them the following week.  He also introduced me to Janet Tay's detective stories, which you might enjoy too. 

Pony's story of her friend Hope reminded me of my uncle Eddy.  :smileyhappy:

Gaby

dhaupt
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Since this is our Community room, I thought it might be fun to get to know each other a little better. So, the questions I pose to us all are where is your favorite place to read, is it quiet or is there music, and what to you have to drink/snack? Feel free to add other preferences too.

For me, my favorite place to read is the front porch. I can hook Oscar up outside and we have shade and sun to enjoy. I read with the sounds of children playing, etc., but do prefer soft music in the background. I usually have a tall glass of water or iced tea, and may have some nuts or sugar-free chocolate to munch on. 

Hi Donna,
my favorite place to read in the spring, summer and fall is in my screened in porch, close enough to my bird feeders to watch the humming birds and orioles.
In the winter it's either in my library at home(really an unused bedroom, buy hey I can call it whatever I want ) or in the family room when the TV is off and the fireplace is on. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

JerseyAngel wrote:

I just finished The Woods by Harlan Coben. I just started reading The Sleeping Doll by Jeffery Deaver. I had picked them both up as Bargain books at B&N. Loved The Woods, too early to say for The Sleeping Doll.

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,
I loved the Woods too. I enjoy Harlan Coben's dark writing style. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

tabcat wrote:

I'm probably the only person left in the world who has not read the Twilight series, but I was given a copy of Twilight so I'm reading that for now.  It will be a quick read and I expect to get notice from the library that my request for The Forgotten Garden is in this week.

t

No you're not the only one. I haven't been talked into it yet. I enjoy romance as well as every other section of fiction, but can't seem to get my head into YA romantic fiction. Still waiting for some one to change my mind though.

gl
gl
0 Kudos

Hi Ponie,

Thank you for sharing the story about your friend Hope. :smileyhappy:  It reminded me of my uncle who would direct me to books when I was growing up and how that had made such a difference for me.   He'd given me a copy of the Secret Garden and A Little Princess and I'd loved those books as well.

Thanks too for your book suggestions.  I haven't read any of the mystery authors that you'd listed. Loved Water for Elephants, and will check out the book recommendations!  Thanks!:smileyhappy:

Gaby

dhaupt
0 Kudos

ponie wrote:

On a more serious and truly magical note...I must tell this...

I did not grow up a reader.  My mother did not and to this day does not read.  She can read, but, sadly she does not read.  She does not understand what walking thru a bookstore, just touching books (saying "I read this one, ooh I read this one, ooh, now here is one I want to read") is all about.  A few years ago I took her to her local library and made her get her first library card at 75 years old!!!  She has never used it or returned to the library.  I am at my library several times a week. 

But I did not become a reader til I was in my late 20s.  A friend (a librarian) began introducing me to all I had missed out on.  One of the first books I read was The Secret Garden.  I remember staying up til 3 in the morning finishing that book with nothing but a flashlight in our Bethany camper set up outside our cabin in northern MN on an early summer night.  I can close my eyes and be there even now.  It almost makes me cry but it's a good cry.  It truly was magical.  And I became hooked.  And thanks to her, her name was Hope, I became a reader (and began making up for lost time) and my children are readers, and I know their children will be readers. 

What a gift!  Thanks Hope, wherever you may be.

ponie, that was very inspirational. I too started reading "again" later in life. I enjoyed reading as a youngster and my mom would take my sibs and me to the library for reading time, but as a teen I hated reading, perhaps if I would have been able to pick and choose my reading instead of being told what to read the outcome would have been different and from there through college and up to my very late 40's I never read books for pleasure. I now read an average of 4 books/week and am an voracious reader. I review books for several publishers as well as an on-line review group and am on many of the clubs here at B&N as well as being in an in-person book club, I volunteer at my local library branch and sit on the board of directors for our library district all within the last 7 years and sometimes I still wish I could do more for the reading community. I feel very fortunate that for whatever reason I started this journey.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

JerseyAngel wrote:

I have a question... what do you all do with books you don't keep? I just don't have the room to keep every book I read. I keep the special ones but the others have to go. My local library doesn't take donations. I know I could give them to Goodwill, I've looked for other charities that take books without much luck. Then there's always Ebay but it doesn't seem worth the aggravation for the amount I would get for them. I've also heard of book swapping sites but haven't been able to locate a good one. Would love to know, for those of you that do part with books, what you do with them? If you know of any good book swapping sites, let me know!

Stephanie

Hi again, I can't believe your library doesn't take donations. Mine does and if it's a book that's out of circulation or too ratty or whatever they save it for their annual book fair. Maybe you could suggest something like that at your library.
But to answer your question. I have a really hard time letting go of any of my books, it would be like getting rid of my kids, oh wait, I could get rid of my kids easier. :smileywink: