Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I read the Gargoyle.  The first part (regarding the accident, and early hospital stay) was a bit difficult to read.  But I really enjoyed the book.  Different than what I would normally have read ( I think I had just finished Edgar Sawtelle ) but still very enjoyable.  I seem to read a variety of things.  (finished Dog On It, and went right into Nora Roberts "Vision in White". Now that's done, I think I need to go buy Prayers for Sale) 

What are you reading now while we wait?  (my message hasn't been read yet)

Quzygirl wrote:

Hi Everyone! I'm new here- just signed up for Of Bees and Mist and got my confirmation! So until we start our discussion thought I would jump in here and say hello! 

My favorite place to read is the porch! Of course this is difficult in a New England winter so I have to make due with the couch then!:smileywink: I do like some soft music in the background. Either way it's me with my pup BJ next to me while I'm reading. And speaking of reading I just got finished with The Gargoyle  by Andrew Davidson. It was a bit bizzare at the start, but turned out to be a great read... Anyone else read this yet?

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Scribe
vivico1

[ Edited ]

For those of you who are fans of Lisa See, I just read an ARC of her new book (out this month) Shanghai Girls. It is historical fiction and man is it a good book! Lisa sure has a way of putting you right into the story, and the stories are always good, but also making you think. There were definitely things in this book that will make you think about who you are, as a woman or a man, as a minority or not, and as an American. The story of these two Chinese sisters is just wonderfully written. The setting and history of WWII, in China and here, well, you may learn some things you never heard in any school text book. I first ran across her books when she was in here for Peony In Love and I loved that book. I think she will be here again, in Center Stage in a month or two, and about this new book. It is truly a great read. Entertaining and so very moving. I know this will be an award winning book!

Shanghai Girls

Message Edited by vivico1 on 05-04-2009 07:20 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
Quzygirl
0 Kudos

Yes, the first part of the Gargoyle made my stomach nauseous. But the "stories" that Marianne told in between all the recovery parts were wonderful. The 'stories' reminded me of Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

How did you like Dog on It? I have that sitting in the TBR pile! And Edgar Sawtelle for that matter! ( So many books, too little time!) To tide me over until we get Of Bees and Mist, I'm reading Sixtyfive Roses: a sister's memoir by Heather Cariou. The authors sister had Cystic Fibrosis, but at 4yrs. old couldn't pronounce it correctly and use to tell people she had sixtyfive roses. I'm reading it for our reading group. I won a drawing on the authors site and she was kind enough to send enough copies for the whole reading group. It's a very touching memoir. I also like to read a variety of books...

Contributor
Quzygirl
0 Kudos

I loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan too! If you haven't read that one by Lisa See yet you would probably enjoy it too! One of my favorites! 
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

I loved Dog On It (which was recommended by other First Lookers) and Edgar Sawtelle as well (although,it was not the ending I wanted)  I haven't read Pillars of the Earth, but understand it's a great read. I'll have to check into Sixtyfive Roses, although the sister thing is hard for me at this point in my life. :smileysad:  I have so many books on my TBR list, from people on here,  I don't know if I will ever find the end of the list!

Quzygirl wrote:

Yes, the first part of the Gargoyle made my stomach nauseous. But the "stories" that Marianne told in between all the recovery parts were wonderful. The 'stories' reminded me of Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

How did you like Dog on It? I have that sitting in the TBR pile! And Edgar Sawtelle for that matter! ( So many books, too little time!) To tide me over until we get Of Bees and Mist, I'm reading Sixtyfive Roses: a sister's memoir by Heather Cariou. The authors sister had Cystic Fibrosis, but at 4yrs. old couldn't pronounce it correctly and use to tell people she had sixtyfive roses. I'm reading it for our reading group. I won a drawing on the authors site and she was kind enough to send enough copies for the whole reading group. It's a very touching memoir. I also like to read a variety of books...

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

Reading Twilight

I'll probably not be the one to encourage you to read it:smileywink:

It holds my interest, but I think I'm too old now (50's) to appreciate the teen age angst.  My son bought the book for me at Christmas on recommendation of a friend who is a HS English teacher.  I will definitely finish it, but doubt that I will read the rest of the series.

t.

dhaupt wrote:

tabcat wrote:

I'm probably the only person left in the world who has not read the Twilight series, but I was given a copy of Twilight so I'm reading that for now. 

No you're not the only one. I haven't been talked into it yet. I enjoy romance as well as every other section of fiction, but can't seem to get my head into YA romantic fiction. Still waiting for some one to change my mind though.

Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

Reading Twilight

Cathy,

I am about half way through Twilight and while I'm enjoying the story line, the teen age angst is a bit much for me :smileywink:

I'm sure that I would have loved it 30-40 years ago.  Oh my...that makes me feel old!

I'll let you know if I've changed my mind when I finish. Will you go on to the next book in the series?

t.

HannibalCat wrote:

Hi tabcat, I just finished the second book, New Moon. Let me know what you think of Twilight when you finish, or as you progress. I am really interested to know your thoughts.

Cathy

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

That's the next one on my list. :smileywink: She has become one of my very favorite authors!

Quzygirl wrote:
I loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan too! If you haven't read that one by Lisa See yet you would probably enjoy it too! One of my favorites!

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

Re: Twilight

ann1009961 wrote:
Tabcat: You're not the only one.  I haven't picked them up yet either, although my teenager has them and has read each one at least twice.

Ann,

You have time to read the first one before Of Bees and Mist arrives!  There have been several responses to my comment about reading Twilight.  If you decide to pick it up, let us know what you think.  Inquiring minds want to know :smileyhappy:

t

Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

Re: anticipation

ponie wrote:

a la Carly Simon:

Anticipation, anticipation
Is makin' me late
Is keepin' me waitin'

I know I am not alone in the waitin' and watchin' and checkin' and wishin' and hopin'......

Dusty Springfield?

t.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

The book trailer is certainly a big -- and recent -- part in a book's marketing and promotion.

I'm not sure what Simon & Schuster has in mind for our video. What do you guys like to see?

vivico1 wrote:

Paul, I have noticed that some of the authors now (or their publishers) are making short videos showing the story line, almost like a promo for a movie. Karen Rose when she was in here last month, had one and we asked her if it was also a movie. She said no, just a promo for the book, but it was really cool and really fit the book. This is a new trend that is pretty interesting (I say new, I have never seen them like that before, just blips about the book, not like short movie scenes). Is that what they are doing for this one?

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Dionne Warwicke

tabcat wrote:

ponie wrote:

a la Carly Simon:

Anticipation, anticipation
Is makin' me late
Is keepin' me waitin'

I know I am not alone in the waitin' and watchin' and checkin' and wishin' and hopin'......

Dusty Springfield?

t.

Vivian
Contributor
Quzygirl
0 Kudos

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time right now... Maybe Sixtyfive roses is one to wait on- one of the girls just finished it and said she finished a whole box of tissues.... Thanks for the positive feedback on Dog On It and Edgar Sawtelle. If like the middle age setting Pillars is great! My whole reading group gave me the hairy eyeball about picking Pillars of the Earth because it is almost 1000 pages, but EVERYone loved it! And almost everyone went on to read the next book that takes place 200 years after Pillars in the same place.

nlsamson wrote:
I loved Dog On It (which was recommended by other First Lookers) and Edgar Sawtelle as well (although,it was not the ending I wanted)  I haven't read Pillars of the Earth, but understand it's a great read. I'll have to check into Sixtyfive Roses, although the sister thing is hard for me at this point in my life. :smileysad:  I have so many books on my TBR list, from people on here,  I don't know if I will ever find the end of the list!

Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

CathyB - I LOVED Shadow of the Wind.  I would have to say Shdow of the Wind is my favorite book.  I had a hard time starting another book once I finished it because nothing compared.  Is the new book out already or did you get and ARC??

CathyB wrote:

Adding one more book to my list of reads before the next FL (no confirmation for me yet but, I still have my fingers crossed - makes typing very difficult :smileyhappy:).

I just received

The Angel's Game and can't wait to start it! It sounds great.

If anyone is a fan of Carlos Ruiz Zafon, you can check out the Angel's Game website. There is some music, an interview with the author and ultimately it looks like there will be a trailer (nothing there on my browser though).

Zafon is the author of Shadow of the Wind  -- I have not read this one. Has anyone else?

CathyB

Message Edited by CathyB on 05-04-2009 07:52 PM

Goodreads ID: dinib
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

hmmmm, how about ghosts floating in a mirror, and of course, the mother beheading the cauliflower :smileywink: Maybe some hauntingly romantic music should play in the background.

PaulH wrote:

The book trailer is certainly a big -- and recent -- part in a book's marketing and promotion.

I'm not sure what Simon & Schuster has in mind for our video. What do you guys like to see?

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
Jennmarie68
0 Kudos

Re: Buying First Look Books

I love this community also. I read alot of ARC's but for some reason the one's I get from the First Look program seem to hold more value for me. I think it's because of the discussion that goes along with them.

I usually let people borrow my other ARC's when I finish them and so far I have only let one person borrow a First Look ARC (and that was my step-mother). I don't know what it is I just can't seem to let them out of my sight. 

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Jennmarie68
0 Kudos

Right now I'm reading Enduring Justice by Amy Wallace, then I have to read Eternal Cravings by Nina Bangs. Plus I'm finishing up my World Lit class so I have a few short essays to read this week. 

I have a bunch of review books sitting next to my computer I just don't feel like listing them all, and I'm sure non of you want to read a 20 some long list...  But I can't wait to get my hands on this one!

Eleanor Roosevelt
Jennmarie68
0 Kudos

I recently finished Twilight. I won't say I loved it, but I didn't hate it. I want to get the next one in the series I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

DiniB:

I got an ARC - I think the book comes out in June. I will be starting it tomorrow. I have heard good things about Shadow of the Wind. I guess I will have to get that one and add to my TBR pile.

CathyB

DiniB wrote:

CathyB - I LOVED Shadow of the Wind.  I would have to say Shdow of the Wind is my favorite book.  I had a hard time starting another book once I finished it because nothing compared.  Is the new book out already or did you get and ARC??

CathyB wrote:

Adding one more book to my list of reads before the next FL (no confirmation for me yet but, I still have my fingers crossed - makes typing very difficult :smileyhappy:).

I just received

The Angel's Game and can't wait to start it! It sounds great.

If anyone is a fan of Carlos Ruiz Zafon, you can check out the Angel's Game website. There is some music, an interview with the author and ultimately it looks like there will be a trailer (nothing there on my browser though).

Zafon is the author of Shadow of the Wind  -- I have not read this one. Has anyone else?

CathyB

Message Edited by CathyB on 05-04-2009 07:52 PM

Jennmarie68
0 Kudos

I'll have to pick up that Accidental Demon Slayer (I just added it to my paperbackswap list) I just recently fell into paranormal romance by way of Lori Handeland. I started with Blue Moon and I've read Hunter's Moon. I want the next one but I have so many books to read right now...

But thanks for the recomendations!

Eleanor Roosevelt