Inspired Correspondent
Adeline79
0 Kudos

the classics

Hey, for those who are talking about reading the classics, don't forget Henry James. Portrait of a Lady is my personal favourite. I love tragic love stories... Also Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.

Has anyone else read Mr. Emerson's Wife (not a classic)? I enjoyed it because I live about 40min drive away from Concord Mass where Emerson and the gang lived and wrote. It really brings the stories to life when they are rooted in history and you can go visit the area. Has anyone else been to Concord? The Louisa May Alcott house is great fun too. I spent ages in that little gift shop.

http://thereadingjourney.blogspot.com
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Re: Reading preferences

DSaff wrote:

Oh, for a pool! What a great place to read. That goes right alongside the fireplace I would love. LOL  I think your job of reading the books then the kids reports is great. What a wonderful way to keep current on what the kids really want to read!

Message Edited by DSaff on 05-09-2009 12:05 PM

I guess I will consider myself quite lucky; I have both the fireplace and the pool!!  Both are indispensable to me for reading!

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

Re: the classics

So I had to decide on a new book to read last night.  All the discussions about classics inspired me.  Instead of Jonathan Strange, I started East of Eden by Steinbeck.  It is interesting to read about an area I live near.
Goodreads ID: dinib
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Re: The Reading Journey

Adeline79 wrote:

Does anyone find themselves a little depressed when in Barnes & Noble? It always makes me sad to see how many books there are ... if they did not publish so many we could make a dent in reading all the worthwhile books. It is such a conflict as to what to read. There are still many classics that I have not read, let alone all the current titles that everyone is recommending. 

I totally relate to the feeling of sadness at B&N. Too many books, so little time.  Of course, the library does the same thing. So overwhelming!

-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Adeline79 wrote:

I had a look and joined up with goodreads.com because a few of you mentioned it.

It seems like a good way to keep up with my reading.  I just hope I do not waste too much time on it!

And there's another problem I have. I can spend alot of time reading and writing about reading, when I ought to be reading books!!
-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Adeline79 wrote:

Yeah it seems pretty interesting.

This is me on goodreads if you want to look me up.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2302059

Adding as a friend there. I am Liisa22 there as well.
-Sir Richard Steele

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

This is me on goodreads :

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1994274

-Sir Richard Steele

Inspired Contributor
lexi-bear
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

ponie wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Ok for Stephen King I would suggest 2 books - Carrie and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

Both are quick reads. We need to get your TBR list as large as the rest of us.

My daughter is in college and I always have new books to suggest to her. She is now on a break between spring and summer sessions, so she will have time to read a few in her stack.

Pen21

Lexi-bear! I agree with pen21 here...at least The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.  I read that one awhile back.  Pen21 has good suggestions about books I'd usually not read.  I recently read Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz because that's the book pen21 suggested for our mystery book club.  And I liked it.  I will say tho, it was odd!!!!!:smileywink:  And Yep! She and I are in an offline face to face book club at a B&N near us!!!

BTW have you read any of Cynthia Voight???

I've been recommened Cynthia Voight, just keep forgetting to pick some up. Any particual book I should read?

I like odd books. haha. I'll add that one to my TBR list. =]

~Lexi-Bear
Inspired Contributor
lexi-bear
0 Kudos

Re: The Reading Journey

liisa22 wrote:

Adeline79 wrote:

Does anyone find themselves a little depressed when in Barnes & Noble? It always makes me sad to see how many books there are ... if they did not publish so many we could make a dent in reading all the worthwhile books. It is such a conflict as to what to read. There are still many classics that I have not read, let alone all the current titles that everyone is recommending. 

I totally relate to the feeling of sadness at B&N. Too many books, so little time.  Of course, the library does the same thing. So overwhelming!

I know what you mean! I've been stared at a few times when I'll walk up and down the isles running my fingers along all the books. I've been told I look like a little kid in a candy store! To me, I am a little kid in a candy store when I walk in there! There's just SO many books. I wish I could own one of each. =] Even if I never got to reading them, I'd like to be able to take my kids (when I have them in....oh, I dunno...15 years. ahah) into a home library, MY home library and telling them they could help themselves to any book and that if we didn't own a book, I'd buy it for them A.S.A.P. =] Cause books are amazing. I love just looking at them! But reading them is better. But still, I plan on having a HUGE home library in my home. It's going to be amazing. And with me TRYING to start collecting books now, it'll be even AMAZINGER! haha. :]
~Lexi-Bear
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

lexi-bear wrote:

ponie wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Ok for Stephen King I would suggest 2 books - Carrie and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

My daughter is in college and I always have new books to suggest to her. She is now on a break between spring and summer sessions, so she will have time to read a few in her stack.

Pen21

Lexi-bear! I agree with pen21 here...at least The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.  I read that one awhile back.  Pen21 has good suggestions about books I'd usually not read.  I recently read Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz because that's the book pen21 suggested for our mystery book club.  And I liked it.  I will say tho, it was odd!!!!!:smileywink:  And Yep! She and I are in an offline face to face book club at a B&N near us!!!

I've been recommened Cynthia Voight, just keep forgetting to pick some up. Any particual book I should read?

I just checked Cynthia Voight titles on amazon.  I liked them all!  But if you want just one, go with Jackaroo.

And have you read The Summer of My German Soldier?  A Tree Grows in Brooklyn?

ponie
Wordsmith
ponie

Lexi-bear!  another thought...this could go on and on, one good book remembered makes me think of another good book....or 2 or 3!

Have you read any of Madeleine L'Engle?  A Wrinkle in Time?  Meet the Austins? 

And then there's always The Chronicles of Narnia...C.S. Lewis

And then there's George MacDonald's The Princess and The Goblin and The Princess and Curdie.

See! one good read leads to another!!!!  and another!!  More for your TBR list perhaps!!!

Stack 'em high!!!!!:smileyvery-happy:

ponie
Inspired Contributor
lexi-bear
0 Kudos

ponie wrote:

lexi-bear wrote:

ponie wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Pen21

I just checked Cynthia Voight titles on amazon.  I liked them all!  But if you want just one, go with Jackaroo.

And have you read The Summer of My German Soldier?  A Tree Grows in Brooklyn?

No, actually, I haven't. Are they good?
~Lexi-Bear
Inspired Contributor
lexi-bear
0 Kudos

ponie wrote:

Lexi-bear!  another thought...this could go on and on, one good book remembered makes me think of another good book....or 2 or 3!

Have you read any of Madeleine L'Engle?  A Wrinkle in Time?  Meet the Austins? 

And then there's always The Chronicles of Narnia...C.S. Lewis

And then there's George MacDonald's The Princess and The Goblin and The Princess and Curdie.

See! one good read leads to another!!!!  and another!!  More for your TBR list perhaps!!!

Stack 'em high!!!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Whoo! More books! added them all except The Chronicles of Narnia. I read the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I could read the rest....just don't wanna. haha.
~Lexi-Bear
Inspired Contributor
lexi-bear
0 Kudos

Ponie! I just remembered! I have read a book by Cynthia Voigt! Her book Homecoming! I had to read it for an english assignment. Good book. Could've read it in one sitting, but mom kept calling for me. haha.
~Lexi-Bear
Scribe
vivico1

The Summer of my German Soldier was very good. Another book that was made into a very good movie too with Kristy McNichol when she was very young. A lot of people still do not know we had German POWs in camps in America during WWII. My mother saw some of the camps in the south when she was about this age. It did make a very good movie, hmm, now I may have to see if there is any copy of it ever put on DVD.

ponie wrote:

lexi-bear wrote:

I just checked Cynthia Voight titles on amazon. I liked them all! But if you want just one, go with Jackaroo.

And have you read The Summer of My German Soldier? A Tree Grows in Brooklyn?

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
dhaupt
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

The Summer of my German Soldier was very good. Another book that was made into a very good movie too with Kristy McNichol when she was very young. A lot of people still do not know we had German POWs in camps in America during WWII. My mother saw some of the camps in the south when she was about this age. It did make a very good movie, hmm, now I may have to see if there is any copy of it ever put on DVD.

ponie wrote:

lexi-bear wrote:

I just checked Cynthia Voight titles on amazon. I liked them all! But if you want just one, go with Jackaroo.

It's amazing what our American History books fail to show us. Sandra Dallas's Tallgrass is about a Japanese interment camp during WW11 it's excellent

Correspondent
joyfull
0 Kudos

To other GoodReads members: My profile page is here:  http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2308007-margot-peck

Speaking of classics, I just finished reading The Good Earth by Pearl Buck. What a great story that is, especially when looking at modern China. Anyone else read this one lately?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Read Lisa See's new book Shanghai Girls, coming out the end of this month, its a great book, and see what we also did to the Chinese fleeing China during the Japanese invasion of China, who came here. They did not go through Ellis Island, oh no, we had something special for them! It really is a good historical novel and she writes such great characters too.

dhaupt wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

ponie wrote:

lexi-bear wrote:

It's amazing what our American History books fail to show us. Sandra Dallas's Tallgrass is about a Japanese interment camp during WW11 it's excellent

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Read Lisa See's new book Shanghai Girls, coming out the end of this month, its a great book, and see what we also did to the Chinese fleeing China during the Japanese invasion of China, who came here. They did not go through Ellis Island, oh no, we had something special for them! It really is a good historical novel and she writes such great characters too.

I just read Lisa See's book Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. It was a great book. I agree she has such wonderful characters.

pen21

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Jennmarie68 wrote:

I LOVE Goodreads! I'm on it all the time http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1613620

Don't forget about the giveaways!!! http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway

I have belonged to Goodreads for a couple of years and didn't know anything about the giveaway. Thanks for  putting it on here.