Contributor
spaced57
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]
ponie wrote:

spaced57 wrote:

I still haven't received my book yet. I live in Minnesota.

After hearing ppl in east coast received theirs on Friday, I watched for my UPS today, Monday, but nothing.

I feel like I'm out of the loop with this already.

I hope it comes soon. Wish I had tracking number so I can know when it's coming.

But, I know it would be too difficult for them to do that.

I'm looking forward to receiving it so I can start reading and join in.

It sounds like the cover is awesome.

Did he sign it? Just wondering since I know that Sag Harbor was, but Deliverance Dane wasn't.

Has anyone in the midwest receive today?

spaced57, where are you in MN?  Mpls?  I'm in a MPLS suburb and no book yet.

Hi Ponie,

yes, I live in South Mpls, right off of E Lake Street, close to the river so my son can ride

his bike on nice days to the U of M.

I hope we'll get our book soon! I feel sort of like a late comer when I know others are already reading, and I don't have the book yet.

Let's keep our fingers crossed it comes Tuesday. PM me if you get it, I'll do the same.

:smileywink: 

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 12:21 PM
Distinguished Correspondent
ClaudiaLuce

[ Edited ]
ponie wrote:

Hey! Claudia!  I'd be interested in the Georgia Book Award winners for gardes 4 - 8.  I could probably go looking but if you have a list I'd like to see it.

Okay Ponie,

Here is that list for you:

GEORGIA CHILDREN’S BOOK AWARD NOMINEES 2009-2010

ESPECIALLY FOR LOWER GRADES (4-5)

Mills, Claudia (2006). TRADING PLACES. Farrar.

Nitz, Kristen W. (2007). SAVING THE GRIFFIN. Peachtree.

ESPECIALLY FOR UPPER GRADES (7-8)

Haddix, Margaret P. (2007). UPRISING. Simon & Schuster.

Schmidt, Gary D (2007). THE WEDNESDAY WARS. Clarion.

POSSIBLY FOR ALL GRADES (4-8)

Berlin, Eric (2007). THE PUZZLING WORLD OF WINSTON BREEN. Putnam.

Blume, Lesley M. M. (2007). THE RISING STAR OF RUSTY NAIL. Knopf.

Bruchac, Jospeh (2007). BEARWALKER. HarperCollins.

Crowley, Suzanne (2007). THE VERY ORDERED EXISTENCE OF MERILEE

MARVELOUS. HarperCollins.

Curtis, Christopher Paul (2007). ELIJAH OF BUXTON. Scholastic.

Easton, Kelly (2007). HIROSHIMA DREAMS. Penguin.

Fleishman, Sid (2008). THE ENTERTAINER AND THE DYBBUK. HarperCollins.

Fogelin, Adrian (2007). THE SORTA SISTERS. Peachtree.

Green, Tim (2007). FOOTBALL GENIUS. HarperCollins.

Hahn, Mary D. (2007). DEEP AND DARK AND DANGEROUS. Houghton Mifflin.

Lichtman, Wendy (2007). DO THE MATH: SECRETS, LIES AND ALGEBRA.

HarperCollins.

O'Connor, Barbara (2008). GREETINGS FROM NOWHERE. Farrar.

Porter, Tracey (2007). BILLY CREEKMORE. HarperCollins.

Wilson, N.D. (2007). LEEPIKE RIDGE. Random House.

Wolf, Joan M. (2007). SOMEONE NAMED EVA. Houghton Mifflin.

Woodson, Jacqueline (2007). FEATHERS. Putnam.

Quite a collection of different types of fiction!  Enjoy!

Claudia

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 12:22 PM
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -
-- Sir Richard Steele
ClaudiaLuce
0 Kudos

Re: Waiting impatiently for my copy!!

gringorn wrote:
Hi everyone!  Has anyone from Georgia received their copy of "Bees and Mist" yet?  I always get nervous when I see all the happy stories of the brown truck arriving and I have not even heard the hum of a truck motor! 

Yesterday when I got home from work, (that was Monday), the carrier pigeon from NYC had arrived and placed my book on my front porch. Yippee!!

Gringorn, where are you here in our beautiful state?  I am in the Northwest corner, Cedartown ~ the snow line (Ha, ha).  My daughter lives just south of Macon and my sister lives outside of Savannah. So, my family is covered from the mountains, to the plains, to the seacoast!!

Claudia

-- Sir Richard Steele
ClaudiaLuce
0 Kudos

Several of you have written about how you are going to read ~ I am going to have trouble sticking with the schedule!!  I can already tell.  So, I AM marking up my book this time - highlighting and writing notes in the margin.  This will slow me down and make me more aware of what I am actually reading!  I am already enthralled in just the first few pages of "Of Bees and Mist".  Once the book comes out, I will buy a hard copy in order to have a clean version here. 

I decided to start reading this way when I had to start coming up with the detailed questions for the kids on my reading bowl team.  I make notes in the margins and in a special notebook kept for that reason, but it is often much easier to refer to the book.  Then, when the kids are readying for a competition, they can use my book to refresh themselves on the important points.  Not your normal way to read, but useful for discussions and competitions!:smileywink:

Claudia

-- Sir Richard Steele
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady

Here's my little effort to move the conversation from news and updates to the community room..........

the bees and mist have arrived in Ohio and the forecast is they are moving westward to a town near you.

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Welcome Kath!! This is a great group!

I just finished Angel's Game last week - let us know how you like it.

CathyB

mckait wrote:

Well, I'm kath..I am in my mid fifties, and I am an avid reader. I live in SWPA and love sitting on my porch to read.. or curled up on the sofa. 

I read a wide variety of books, from fiction to non fiction, to horror to fantasy and more :smileyhappy:

I am currently reading The Angel's Game    and will be reviewing it in a day or two. I am looking forward to this book. It looks very good!

I am a member of LibraryThing, and bookmooch. I do indeed buy hardback copies of ARCs that I receive that I like a lot, for instance Lace Reader . I have three copies, and have given two as gifts.

I review a lot of books and keep a book review blog.

Nice to meet you all.  

chris227
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

lexi-bear wrote:

DiniB wrote:

Adeline79 wrote:

Yeah it seems pretty interesting.

This is me on goodreads if you want to look me up.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2302059

And me - http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2237407

Ooo! And me! =] - http://www.goodreads.com/lexi-bear 

And me :

www.goodreads.com/chris227

I only joined a couple weeks ago (after hearing about it through this discussion) and I already won one of their giveaway.  And am anxiously awaiting Heavenly to come in the mail.  As if I don't have enough on my TBR pile already!!  I am getting way way behind!

Message Edited by chris227 on 05-19-2009 09:27 AM
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Sorry to say the book has not arrived yet to St. Charles County Missouri, but I have my husband on brown truck alert and he's to call me at work the MOMENT it arrives.
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:
Sorry to say the book has not arrived yet to St. Charles County Missouri, but I have my husband on brown truck alert and he's to call me at work the MOMENT it arrives.

Hasn't arrived in St. Louis County Missouri either.
chris227
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

Jennmarie68 wrote:

gl,

Great Expectations is on my to read list. I'll have to check out Hard Times. 

Thank you for the suggestions. There's so many classics that I've never read, I'm trying to get my hands on an old copy of War and Peace and Of Mice and Men (never read either). I like getting old copies because it seems to add a "magical" bit to the whole experience. But maybe that's just me....

I agree that there are so many classics that I have not read.  I try to mix a classic in with other books I'm reading so I can catch up on them.  I also find myself wanting to re-read some of those classics I read in high school.  You get so much more out of them as an adult (and when you want to read it, as opposed to being forced to read it.  I hated Great Expectations freshman year but thought it was fantastic a few years back!  I'm actually in the middle of reading A Tale of Two Cities out loud to my fifteen month old daughter.  We started a few months back and it's slow going since she'll only sit still for minutes at a time but I want her to hear all the wonderful vocabulary and try to instill in her my love for books!
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Catch the Reading Bug

[ Edited ]

I found this video I thought everyone would enjoy while we are waiting for everyone to get their books. Hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaLEoeHnDV8

Be sure to check out some of the others too!

Message Edited by eadieburke on 05-19-2009 10:04 AM
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Re: Waiting impatiently for my copy!!

I hadn't received my book yet after work, however, I had to go into the city for a meeting, and it was between the door and screen when I came home after 9:00.  I am set to start reading after Memorial Day.  Need to finish my current book by then. 

MG

Frequent Contributor
Shapatm
0 Kudos

Finally!  My book got here yesterday afternoon.  The books have made it as far as Western PA.

I just wish the UPS guy would actually knock on my door to let me know that he left me a package.  Hubby found it when he got home from work and had to tease me that that he got to find it first.  I felt like a kid at Christmas who had to wait to open her presents.

Correspondent
retromom
0 Kudos

Re: Catch the Reading Bug

Hi! I am in Wisconsin and the little brown truck brought me my book this morning. The books are making their way across the country pretty quickly! I can't wait to start reading but I need to finish The Lace Reader.
Beth

http://bookaholicmom.blogspot.com/
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Still more than ten days away from the beginning of the discussion of "Of Bees and Mist" and already 1248 posts, most of them about birds and bees and UPS trucks.

My question as first time First Look participant (and I know I could check previous discussions, but don't have the time to wade through them): What is my responsibility as recipient and reader of the free copy?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

There's no "set in stone" responsibilities, Sunltcloud, but I would hope the book pushes you to want to discuss it here on the boards and we do ask that you add your review of it to the product page. Good or bad. We just like to hear your opinion of it.

Enjoy!

Sunltcloud wrote:

My question as first time First Look participant (and I know I could check previous discussions, but don't have the time to wade through them): What is my responsibility as recipient and reader of the free copy?

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

chris227 wrote:

lexi-bear wrote:

DiniB wrote:

Adeline79 wrote:

And me :

I only joined a couple weeks ago (after hearing about it through this discussion) and I already won one of their giveaway.  And am anxiously awaiting Heavenly to come in the mail.  As if I don't have enough on my TBR pile already!!  I am getting way way behind!

Me too - http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2306585

I just joined this month and also won a giveaway - Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji.

I joined a couple groups there and have to finish People of the Book by May 31st fo one discussion. Almost done.

Waiting until Memorial Day weekend to start oBaM.

CathyB

Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

CathyB wrote:

chris227 wrote:

lexi-bear wrote:

DiniB wrote:

Adeline79 wrote:

And me :

Me too - http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2306585

I just joined this month and also won a giveaway - Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji.

I joined a couple groups there and have to finish People of the Book by May 31st fo one discussion. Almost done.

Waiting until Memorial Day weekend to start oBaM.

CathyB

I won a book giveaway last week.

Goodreads ID: dinib
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

DiniB wrote:

What book did you win?

Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

CathyB wrote:

DiniB wrote:

What book did you win?

Hi - I won a book from goodreads.com from their give away list.  The book is I Apologize by Bradley Booth.

Goodreads ID: dinib