Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1

Re: Community Room

I think we are losing posters. The first chapters 1-19 had 428 posts, the middle chapters 10-19 had 152 posts and now the middle 20-23 chapters has only 102 posts. It has been quiet on the boards some this week, not a lot in here at the same time for discussion. Is it nice summer weather most places? lol, is that it? I am in Oklahoma and we had 104 heat index yesterday, too hot here to do anything but stay in and read! I am more of a Fall person here myself, thats when it starts to cool off, great color changes and no humidity OR TORNADOES! lol May and June are our worst tornado months. I live 5 miles from where the 1999 Oklahoma tornado that was the biggest ever recorded and cause such devastation and death, came through. That was a monster and stayed on the ground for such a long time. Anyway, hope people are having a good summer. I will go read some more :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Actually, a common trajectory in the First Look program. Take a look at the last club's stats.

If I had to guess, it's the tendency of people reading ahead, so they are well beyond the "middle" chapters at the time they're being discussed.

vivico1 wrote:
I think we are losing posters. The first chapters 1-19 had 428 posts, the middle chapters 10-19 had 152 posts and now the middle 20-23 chapters has only 102 posts. It has been quiet on the boards some this week, not a lot in here at the same time for discussion. Is it nice summer weather most places? lol, is that it? I am in Oklahoma and we had 104 heat index yesterday, too hot here to do anything but stay in and read! I am more of a Fall person here myself, thats when it starts to cool off, great color changes and no humidity OR TORNADOES! lol May and June are our worst tornado months. I live 5 miles from where the 1999 Oklahoma tornado that was the biggest ever recorded and cause such devastation and death, came through. That was a monster and stayed on the ground for such a long time. Anyway, hope people are having a good summer. I will go read some more :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Re: Weather

[ Edited ]

Vivco:

Check out this article from the local paper regarding the weather in Southeastern PA where I live. Lots of rain! It's rain practically every other day since May 1st. with temperatures in the 50's and 60's. Definitely reading weather!

http://tinyurl.com/n4m4rq

vivico1 wrote:

Message Edited by PaulH on 06-19-2009 11:18 AM
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Scribe
DSaff

Re: Katherine Howe

It is! Mike and I were at B&N last night and saw the published version. I have to say that I like our copy better because of the extra flap. The new one feels like it is missing something.

dhaupt wrote:

Yes I've been keeping up with her posts on facebook, isn't it great that we got to be there first and knew all along that it would be a best seller.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

meme1 wrote:

In a previous post I shared a story about the impact of "scents" in my life.  For days I've been thinking about two other installment of "scents" in my life.  Our daughter-in-law who was 38 died last summer from breast cancer.  She and our son have three children.  About a year before she died I had bought her a perfume that she loved.  This spring after our 11-year-old granddaughter had celebrated her birthday, she had a goodly sum of money.  She asked me if she had enough to buy a bottle of this perfume.  I suggested that it wasn't a scent that a young girl would wear.  A few days later her minister's wife shared a story with me.  She had asked our granddaughter what some of the things she missed most about her mom.  One of them was how her mom smelled.  Just by chance on the day I heard this story, we had found a sample bottle of the perfume and had given it to our granddaughter.  She sprayed her pillow with the scent.

Now about a month later I was checking out at a store.  The cashier asked what perfume I wore.  I told her and she said it reminded her of her mother.  She continued on telling me that her mother had recently died and she had gathered her mother's clothes to keep because they smelled like her mother.

"Bees" has made me realize that "scents" become a part of the person more than I ever considered. 

What a touching story, made me cry a little.

Correspondent
bookowlie

June is a busy month due to the end of the school year, graduations, registering for camp, etc.  I also think this book is a slower read due to the metaphors and symbolism.

vivico1 wrote:

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

You are right on all accounts! I have no kids and I forget those school things too. And it is either a slower or harder book to read because of the metaphors and symbolism, or like Paul said, kind of the opposite, some may have read ahead of what is being posted and just not posting I guess. Some may have given up, but some may have read it straight through too and are not posting because they are off now doing the things you mentioned. I know in the first look clubs, you don't end up with the same number of people that you start with, its a given that some just stop participating once they get their book and thats a shame too. I don't think tho Paul, you want to compare with last months tho. I didn't do that book but I did just look at the posts and if nothing more, the number of views on each post. I think the number of views tell you more about how many are still with us than the posts actually. Some people like to be in on the clubs but are not sure what to say, or just not comfortable with posting but they keep up with reading them. But activity does change the first part of summer too. And Eadie! Send some of that rain our way!!! lol. The problem is this time of year down here, even if we get rain, its always with severe weather, but its awefully hot and dry right now.

bookowlie wrote:

June is a busy month due to the end of the school year, graduations, registering for camp, etc. I also think this book is a slower read due to the metaphors and symbolism.

vivico1 wrote:

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The number of views is misleading, as the previous board has been up over double the amount of time.

vivico1 wrote:

You are right on all accounts! I have no kids and I forget those school things too. And it is either a slower or harder book to read because of the metaphors and symbolism, or like Paul said, kind of the opposite, some may have read ahead of what is being posted and just not posting I guess. Some may have given up, but some may have read it straight through too and are not posting because they are off now doing the things you mentioned. I know in the first look clubs, you don't end up with the same number of people that you start with, its a given that some just stop participating once they get their book and thats a shame too. I don't think tho Paul, you want to compare with last months tho. I didn't do that book but I did just look at the posts and if nothing more, the number of views on each post. I think the number of views tell you more about how many are still with us than the posts actually. Some people like to be in on the clubs but are not sure what to say, or just not comfortable with posting but they keep up with reading them. But activity does change the first part of summer too. And Eadie! Send some of that rain our way!!! lol. The problem is this time of year down here, even if we get rain, its always with severe weather, but its awefully hot and dry right now.

Message Edited by PaulH on 06-19-2009 11:15 AM
Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

Donna,

I am in total agreement with you!  I saw the book the other night in the book store as well and I thought to myself, "I like the copy we read so much better."  The x-tra flap definitely added something to the cover! 

DSaff wrote:

It is! Mike and I were at B&N last night and saw the published version. I have to say that I like our copy better because of the extra flap. The new one feels like it is missing something.

dhaupt wrote:

Yes I've been keeping up with her posts on facebook, isn't it great that we got to be there first and knew all along that it would be a best seller.

"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Scribe
vivico1

Yes, you are right, which is why you can't really compare it with any other club and I said, you wouldn't want to compare it with this one,  but I am just saying, in general with the first look clubs, you have a better idea of who is still with us from the views rather than the posts because some people don't like to post. That is always true and not a good thing or bad thing, just an indicator. But mostly only during the club or right at the end, because others will go view club posts way after a club is even over, if the club is still up. I know because we had one thread one time we created and used for one month and 6 months later, it showed over 8000 views! So just saying, in the first look clubs, interest is better shown by views than by actual posts, dont you think?

PaulH wrote:

The number of views is misleading, as the previous board has been up over double the amount of time.

vivico1 wrote:

Vivian
pen21
0 Kudos

I was with my daughter and saw Katherine's book at Target.

I was able to say I got to read before it was on the shelf.

pen21

libralady wrote:

Donna,

I am in total agreement with you!  I saw the book the other night in the book store as well and I thought to myself, "I like the copy we read so much better."  The x-tra flap definitely added something to the cover! 

DSaff wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

I have to agree with Paul. The last FL was a lively bunch but I do recall it slowing down towards the end and not seeing as many posts as in the beginning.

PaulH wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

Does make us feel special doesn't it? I was thinking, I don't think I would ever want to give up my ARCs because, to think, how special would it be if these authors go on to be very successful (as we all think they should & will). To be able to own an ARC of their very first book in print. Truly a special thing to hold!

pen21 wrote:

I was with my daughter and saw Katherine's book at Target.

I was able to say I got to read before it was on the shelf.

pen21

libralady wrote:

Donna,

DSaff wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I totally agree! These FL ARC's are so special to me. We get to talk to the author and others who have put time and energy into the book. We get to discover what goes into a book, why an author writes. I would love to run into any of them at a book signing with my ARC and have it signed!

JerseyAngel wrote:

Does make us feel special doesn't it? I was thinking, I don't think I would ever want to give up my ARCs because, to think, how special would it be if these authors go on to be very successful (as we all think they should & will). To be able to own an ARC of their very first book in print. Truly a special thing to hold!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

In some well, most of the clubs, I've read ahead but my problem is trying to formulate what I want to say.  It seems that no matter what, the discussion gets away from me.  Then again, I don't want to repeat what has already been said.  I hate posting just to say I agree with you or that's what I was thinking.  Sometimes I do though just to let everyone know I'm still here, :smileywink:

I'm in MO and the weather here has been either rainy or hot and humid.  I'm afraid I may just melt away :smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
Tarri

vivico1 wrote:

I've been having a heck of a time with this book.  First my computer was in the shop for almost three weeks and lately I've been having trouble signing on to B&N Book Clubs.  It's like a conspiracy and I blame Eva.  

Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Prettymuch what can be said has been said.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

hehehe. cute! :smileywink:

Tarri wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

I've been having a heck of a time with this book. First my computer was in the shop for almost three weeks and lately I've been having trouble signing on to B&N Book Clubs. It's like a conspiracy and I blame Eva.

Vivian
Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

So sorry my posts declined this week.... I am having to drive 5 hours roundtrip each day to take a class that takes 7 hours a day....  so I am catching up on the weekends.  Next week is my last week of class.  This is the bummer that teachers have to spend their summers taking courses to keep up to date so they do not lose their certification.

Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

Paul-

I have been driving/going to class this past week for 12+ hours a day --- so now I am certain I have missed signing up for July's First Look's book.  Please let me know if I missed out -- I can handle it --- I may need extra tissues as I have fallen in love with my new hobby -- First Look has been so fun and relaxing.