Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Lisa, the first look clubs are normally not every month and there is not one for July (I think one will be announced in July tho for later), BUT there are a lot of clubs that will start in July. Just go to the "choose a discussion" drop down window and go to announcements and you will see all the new clubs listed for July.

LISA-BRYAN wrote:

Paul-

I have been driving/going to class this past week for 12+ hours a day --- so now I am certain I have missed signing up for July's First Look's book. Please let me know if I missed out -- I can handle it --- I may need extra tissues as I have fallen in love with my new hobby -- First Look has been so fun and relaxing.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info -Of Bees and Mists is my first time participating in the First Look book club -- so I was a little unclear on how everything worked

I will just keep my eye out and check out the the other book clubs.

Frequent Contributor
julyso
0 Kudos

Tarri,

You crack me up! Yes, let's blame Eva for any & all problems, sounds good to me!:smileyvery-happy:

Tarri wrote:

I've been having a heck of a time with this book.  First my computer was in the shop for almost three weeks and lately I've been having trouble signing on to B&N Book Clubs.  It's like a conspiracy and I blame Eva.  

Julie
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Right. The next First Look selection will be announced sometime at the beggining of July and we'll discuss the book in August.

vivico1 wrote:

Lisa, the first look clubs are normally not every month and there is not one for July (I think one will be announced in July tho for later), BUT there are a lot of clubs that will start in July. Just go to the "choose a discussion" drop down window and go to announcements and you will see all the new clubs listed for July.

LISA-BRYAN wrote:

Paul-

I have been driving/going to class this past week for 12+ hours a day --- so now I am certain I have missed signing up for July's First Look's book. Please let me know if I missed out -- I can handle it --- I may need extra tissues as I have fallen in love with my new hobby -- First Look has been so fun and relaxing.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Happy Father's Day =)

I want to wish a very Happy Father's Day to all of the fathers participating in book discussions. We appreciate you!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info --- I thought I had somehow missed it while I was driving back and forth from class -- 4 more 12+ hour days --- and then I will be back to my routine. 

I will be watching the announcements again in early July -- I absolutely love the First Look Book Club --- it makes the experience of reading the book so much more exciting when you have others sharing their interpretations.

pen21

I also did 2 books on the Center Stage. The authors are there for a week. The discussion was about that book and others the author wrote. The discussions had a smaller group of participants, but very good discussion.

I am going to join the New Read for July. The author will discuss the book for the month of July. From what I have read, they have a new book each month on the New Reads.

LISA-BRYAN wrote:

Thanks for the info --- I thought I had somehow missed it while I was driving back and forth from class -- 4 more 12+ hour days --- and then I will be back to my routine. 

I will be watching the announcements again in early July -- I absolutely love the First Look Book Club --- it makes the experience of reading the book so much more exciting when you have others sharing their interpretations.

Contributor
AKWillett
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

Actually, a common trajectory in the First Look program. Take a look at the last club's stats.

If I had to guess, it's the tendency of people reading ahead, so they are well beyond the "middle" chapters at the time they're being discussed.

vivico1 wrote:
I think we are losing posters. The first chapters 1-19 had 428 posts, the middle chapters 10-19 had 152 posts and now the middle 20-23 chapters has only 102 posts. It has been quiet on the boards some this week, not a lot in here at the same time for discussion. Is it nice summer weather most places? lol, is that it? I am in Oklahoma and we had 104 heat index yesterday, too hot here to do anything but stay in and read! I am more of a Fall person here myself, thats when it starts to cool off, great color changes and no humidity OR TORNADOES! lol May and June are our worst tornado months. I live 5 miles from where the 1999 Oklahoma tornado that was the biggest ever recorded and cause such devastation and death, came through. That was a monster and stayed on the ground for such a long time. Anyway, hope people are having a good summer. I will go read some more :smileyhappy:

I agree with Paul. I read ahead and finished the book before discussions began, so, I've been holding off on posting much until the later chapters - I don't want to give away any of the secrets and ruin it for everyone else! So much of the book makes sense by the time you reach the end.

I grew up in Tornado Alley (Arkansas), and I  always loved Fall the best too! Tornadoes are terrifying.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Welcome back for the last week! You showed a lot of restraint to read the whole book and not comment at all until now as to not cause any spoilers. Very good!

I am afraid this may be one of our hottest summers yet. It is going to be near or at 100 all week and we are still in june. And August is our hottest month! Other than yard work I just have to do, I will just keep myself inside and read or go to summer movies! Not a bad thing, as long as there is AC and cool drinks and a book or movie, I am fine. :smileywink: I am worried about my neighbors tho. I live out of town a ways and when people move out of town, they think they should set off every firework known to man. Some new people bought the acreage next to mine a little over a year ago and last year they set off some really major fireworks! We were under a no burn ban too. They have been setting them off every evening for the past several days. I LOVE fireworks but there is too much wild grass out here that is dry. The whole property on the other side of me burned from kids just tossing a cigarette as they walked back from a pond where they had been fishing. From my porch, I sit on a little rise, I can see the fireworks from my little town, and three nearby towns, pretty cool! But this stuff in the yards is worrisome with no rain in sight. But yeah Fall, its a great time of year, when its starting to cool off, you can see pretty fall colors, NO HUMIDITY lol, no storms and wonderful nights! My allergies are down then and I just love to lay out under the stars. Great view out here away from town. See, I am already pining for October LOL.

AKWillett wrote:

PaulH wrote:

Actually, a common trajectory in the First Look program. Take a look at the last club's stats.

If I had to guess, it's the tendency of people reading ahead, so they are well beyond the "middle" chapters at the time they're being discussed.

I agree with Paul. I read ahead and finished the book before discussions began, so, I've been holding off on posting much until the later chapters - I don't want to give away any of the secrets and ruin it for everyone else! So much of the book makes sense by the time you reach the end.

I grew up in Tornado Alley (Arkansas), and I always loved Fall the best too! Tornadoes are terrifying.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy

I thought that I would share this poem. It was in this morning's Kansas City Star "Munday on Monday" column. I think I'm a Gutenberg.

Speaking volumes

The youngsters, raised

on point and click,

Where every site

is summoned quick--

They see me reach

for printed tome

Upon the shelf; their eyes

will roam;

They tease me, call me

Gutenberg,

But let 'em scoff, they'll

not disturb

My love of books,

the printed page,

The way the thoughts

are there conveyed;

Though trends will change

in constant hurry,

We Gutenbergs? No need

to worry.

--Don Munday

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

Ponie

Wondering where Ponie went? I haven't seen her post in some time. The casting call thread is what really drew my attention to it (knowing full well she'd have to put Hugh Jackman in somewhere, lol). Hope everything is ok!

Stephanie

Frequent Contributor
luvmykiddos
0 Kudos

I don't remember where I saw it mentioned..... but it was so neat to see how others noticed the "hidden" little bits on the cover. I don't think I ever would have paid attention to that.
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I'm a Gutenberg too! Thanks for sharing this, Piper.  :smileyhappy:

PiperMurphy wrote:

I thought that I would share this poem. It was in this morning's Kansas City Star "Munday on Monday" column. I think I'm a Gutenberg.

Speaking volumes

The youngsters, raised

on point and click,

Where every site

is summoned quick--

They see me reach

for printed tome

Upon the shelf; their eyes

will roam;

They tease me, call me

Gutenberg,

But let 'em scoff, they'll

not disturb

My love of books,

the printed page,

The way the thoughts

are there conveyed;

Though trends will change

in constant hurry,

We Gutenbergs? No need

to worry.

--Don Munday

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Scribe
DSaff

What a great group!

Thank you all for making this discussion so great! What a thought-provoking book, huh? There have been many great thoughts, questions, and book reviews (with more to come I'm sure). I have really enjoyed it and can't wait to share another book with all of you. I'll be in the discussion about The Road next month, and maybe The Haunting of Hill House. I hope to see you in one.  :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB

Re: What a great group!

I agree Donna! This is a great group and we have had an interesting discussion.

Not everyone agrees about certain points and that is OK. No two people read a book in the same way - one may have expectations of how things should be and many things affect how one will interpret something.

I like the differing opinions as it makes me look in another direction to see if I had missed something or could see things in a different light - as you said, thought-provoking.

I purchased East of the Sun  for the New Reads discussion - have to start reading that! I am not sure if the New Reads is for a month or for a week.

Looking forward to future discussions with all of you!

CathyB

DSaff wrote:

Thank you all for making this discussion so great! What a thought-provoking book, huh? There have been many great thoughts, questions, and book reviews (with more to come I'm sure). I have really enjoyed it and can't wait to share another book with all of you. I'll be in the discussion about The Road next month, and maybe The Haunting of Hill House. I hope to see you in one.  :smileywink:

Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

I agree that this is a great group of readers!  I love being a part of such a diverse group.  I enjoyed this discussion more than any of the previous ones.  This book left so much room for individual interpretation and it was very interesting to see the different perceptions as well as the likes and dislikes of the author's use of symbolism, magic, etc.  Once I got into the book, I knew that the discussions would be lively.  I am looking forward to reading all of the reviews.  I will be posting mine soon!
"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
pen21

A book is so much better when you can discuss it with someone else. It doesn't matter what genre or who the author is. I love the discussion, the debates, the high fives for a great idea and the what led you to think that. I agree that the diverse discussion adds to this experience.  A good discussion will lead me to look at a character or storyline in a way I never would have thought of.

I just received East of the Sun and will be joining the New Reads discussions.

I think it is the whole month with the author.

I also plan on joining in on the discussion for The Road on the Sci-Fi thread.

So I am glad I will see some familiar posters (CathyB and DStaff) on the both of these.

pen21

CathyB wrote:

Not everyone agrees about certain points and that is OK. No two people read a book in the same way - one may have expectations of how things should be and many things affect how one will interpret something.

I like the differing opinions as it makes me look in another direction to see if I had missed something or could see things in a different light - as you said, thought-provoking.

I purchased East of the Sun  for the New Reads discussion - have to start reading that! I am not sure if the New Reads is for a month or for a week.

CathyB

DSaff wrote:

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Nothing like good debates to get the juices flowing! I have ordered East of the Sun, sure hope it comes soon to get started on, its a long book and yeah,I want to be ready to talk to the author for the month! I will look forward to seeing you guys in there. The Road, is one of the most powerful books I have read! I might peek in there sometimes, to see how the club is going.

pen21 wrote:

A book is so much better when you can discuss it with someone else. It doesn't matter what genre or who the author is. I love the discussion, the debates, the high fives for a great idea and the what led you to think that. I agree that the diverse discussion adds to this experience. A good discussion will lead me to look at a character or storyline in a way I never would have thought of.

I just received East of the Sun and will be joining the New Reads discussions.

I think it is the whole month with the author.

I also plan on joining in on the discussion for The Road on the Sci-Fi thread.

So I am glad I will see some familiar posters (CathyB and DStaff) on the both of these.

pen21

CathyB wrote:

I purchased East of the Sun for the New Reads discussion - have to start reading that! I am not sure if the New Reads is for a month or for a week.

CathyB

DSaff wrote:

Thank you all for making this discussion so great! What a thought-provoking book, huh? There have been many great thoughts, questions, and book reviews (with more to come I'm sure). I have really enjoyed it and can't wait to share another book with all of you. I'll be in the discussion about The Road next month, and maybe The Haunting of Hill House. I hope to see you in one. :smileywink:

Vivian
Shadowwolf36
0 Kudos

Katherine Howe

I had the opportunity to go to her read/meet/greet and sign at B & N in Framingham, MA last night. If she is in your area and you get a chance to meet her, please do.....she is funny and smart and the hour just flew by.....she wanted me to let other First Lookers that they are adding lots of dates (most on East Coast/New England) and that she would love to meet more of us.....
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

Re: Katherine Howe

Shadowwolf36 wrote:
I had the opportunity to go to her read/meet/greet and sign at B & N in Framingham, MA last night. If she is in your area and you get a chance to meet her, please do.....she is funny and smart and the hour just flew by.....she wanted me to let other First Lookers that they are adding lots of dates (most on East Coast/New England) and that she would love to meet more of us.....

How wonderful for you! I am keeping my fingers crossed that she will make it to my area one day!