Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

Re: Katherine Howe

How nice that you got to meet Katherine Howe! I'm sure she also enjoyed meeting one of the First Lookers. I just saw the book at B & N yesterday. I think it will be a bestseller.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Does anyone know when the July new reads club East of the Sun actually starts? I looked at it on announcements and didn't see. Is it the 1st or the 6th? I have it ordered but not here yet and I can not read very quickly, especially a 600 page book, but I am looking forward to it.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

It starts on Monday the 6th.

vivico1 wrote:
Does anyone know when the July new reads club East of the Sun actually starts? I looked at it on announcements and didn't see. Is it the 1st or the 6th? I have it ordered but not here yet and I can not read very quickly, especially a 600 page book, but I am looking forward to it.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul, that gives me time! :smileyhappy:

PaulH wrote:

It starts on Monday the 6th.

vivico1 wrote:

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul - I plan to start reading tomorrow (need to finish The Woman in White today).

CathyB

PaulH wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

pen21
0 Kudos

Thank you for the information Paul.

I wanted to finish a mystery book I am in the middle of.

And I should clean my house.

pen21

PaulH wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Inspired Contributor
canterbear
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Will there be a new First Look book for July?

thanks 

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

We are hoping to announce the next selection this week for an August discussion.  

canterbear wrote:

Will there be a new First Look book for July?

thanks 

Inspired Contributor
canterbear
0 Kudos

Re: Buying First Look Books

Answering biljounc63's question: Do you find yourselves ordering the final version of the books?

I usually dont..due to finances, but I sure do recomend the books I have enjoyed in the ARC discussions. I send friends out to buy them and also recomend them to members of another book chat.

These ARC books give me a chance to read while I cant afford to buy books and I love the variety.

I am an advid reader and learn about writing from all I do read. 

Inspired Contributor
canterbear
0 Kudos

Paul,

thanks for the prompt reply and for letting us know.

Looking forward to the next book.

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Re: Buying First Look Books

canterbear wrote:

Answering biljounc63's question: Do you find yourselves ordering the final version of the books?

I usually dont..due to finances, but I sure do recomend the books I have enjoyed in the ARC discussions. I send friends out to buy them and also recomend them to members of another book chat.

These ARC books give me a chance to read while I cant afford to buy books and I love the variety.

I am an advid reader and learn about writing from all I do read. 

I used to but now with the past few books, because of finances I am unable to.  I do recommend the books to my family and friends, even the ones I don't enjoy so much in case they might.  In fact, I not only recommend the books but Barnes & Nobles as well.
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

I just saw this book on the B & N Long List (thanks to Moderator Becke) and it made me think about OBAM.  If anyone reads or has read it, I'd love to hear what you think.

Tcat

White Is for Witching  

In Helen Oyeyemi's White Is for Witching, nobody, and nothing, goes unhaunted. Doubles of unmatchable perfection, ancestral spirits, and objects brought to life all roam its pages, uninvited but not altogether unwelcome. The story of a precocious, otherworldly teenager named Miranda Silver, Oyeyemi's novel feels in certain ways as if it fell out of the 19th century -- only the occasional references to cell phones and pop songs jog it back to its contemporary reality. But really, it is less a coherent story than a coherent atmosphere. Told from the perspective of three alternating narrators -- Miranda's twin brother, Eliot, her friend and eventual lover, Ore, and, in an unlikely twist, her house -- Miranda's descent into illness in the wake of her mother's death exists somewhere between a cruel fairy tale and an elegiac ghost story.