Contributor
debdesk
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

How do I comment on someone else's post and make it show up in my post.
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

Deb, when you hit reply above their post you just need to click on the "quote post" option right above the text box in the reply window that opens. 

debdesk wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I am currently in the middle of Handle With Care, Jodi Picoult.  I started Jonathan Strange, but my mind kept wandering, so I decided to take a break from magic and quickly finish Handle With Care.  I also started Loving Frank. I have books scattered all over the house, so what I read corresponds to what room I am in.
Goodreads ID: dinib
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Re: Reading preferences

nlsamson wrote:
How funny, just yesterday afternoon I told my daughter that I wanted "Prayers for Sale" for mother's day.  They always ask, and I always have such a problem finding something.  But my oldest (26) loves to buy me a new book whenever possible.  (she bought me Water for Elephants on year for Christmas, next to my dog, it was the best gift she ever came up with all on her own!)

Thayer wrote:

I am currently reading (and enjoying) Dog on It.  While at Barnes and Noble purchasing this book the associate recommended Prayers for Sale.  It is a Barnes and Noble Recommends selection. It looks really good, so have added it to my ever growing TBR file.  ~So many books, so little time~  Anyone read it?

Prayers for Sale 

As for my reading spot of choice, I can-and usually do-read anytime, anywhere. But I must say my fave place is outside, preferably in my hammock, or while picknicking on a blanket somewhere. I also love reading at the beach while on holiday. Nothing like the soothing sound of the waves, seagulls and laughter to enhance a lovely story.

Dog On It was great!  Actually I thought of our dog when I saw the cover; we have a border collie!!  And Prayers for Sale is on my TBR list. 

And here's a question...when an author has many books out, not necessarily a series, do you think it is better/good to go back and start reading them "in order"; read the ones that came before, then the new one?

BTW if you liked Water for Elephants, I think you would like Hannah's Dream by Diane Hammond.

Product Details

ponie
Contributor
debdesk
0 Kudos

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

Deb, when you hit reply above their post you just need to click on the "quote post" option right above the text box in the reply window that opens. 

debdesk wrote:

Look what a fast learner I am. HAHA thanks for your help.

Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

Anytime :-)

It's a handy habit when the discussion on the book starts since you'll be referencing other people's posts... it helps lesson the confusion when it's included.

Though some quote chains can get messy and too long.

debdesk wrote:

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

debdesk wrote:

Look what a fast learner I am. HAHA thanks for your help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Contributor
debdesk
0 Kudos

Thayer wrote:

I am currently reading (and enjoying) Dog on It.  While at Barnes and Noble purchasing this book the associate recommended Prayers for Sale.  It is a Barnes and Noble Recommends selection. It looks really good, so have added it to my ever growing TBR file.  ~So many books, so little time~  Anyone read it?

Prayers for Sale 

As for my reading spot of choice, I can-and usually do-read anytime, anywhere. But I must say my fave place is outside, preferably in my hammock, or while picknicking on a blanket somewhere. I also love reading at the beach while on holiday. Nothing like the soothing sound of the waves, seagulls and laughter to enhance a lovely story.

I cant wait to read Prayer for Sale. I read Tallgrass last month and loved it. I think Sandra Dallas is a great author.

Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I also have not read this series and don't plan to start.  Not that I have anything against them, I just have soooo many unread books in my house right now.

marciliogq wrote:

tabcat wrote:

I'm probably the only person left in the world who has not read the Twilight series, but I was given a copy of Twilight so I'm reading that for now.  It will be a quick read and I expect to get notice from the library that my request for The Forgotten Garden is in this week.

You are not the one in the team that has not read Twilight series yet. I have not read any page of this(these) book(s). I don't know what happens to me about best-sellers or books tied to teenage universe. I'm a bit afraid of them LOL.

Scribe
DSaff

But, you can remove the parts of the post you aren't replying to. Quote the post, then cut the parts that don't pertain to your reply. Just be careful not to cut out too much. :smileywink: 

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:
Anytime :-)

It's a handy habit when the discussion on the book starts since you'll be referencing other people's posts... it helps lesson the confusion when it's included.

Though some quote chains can get messy and too long.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

JerseyAngel wrote:

I have a question... what do you all do with books you don't keep? I just don't have the room to keep every book I read. I keep the special ones but the others have to go. My local library doesn't take donations. I know I could give them to Goodwill, I've looked for other charities that take books without much luck. Then there's always Ebay but it doesn't seem worth the aggravation for the amount I would get for them. I've also heard of book swapping sites but haven't been able to locate a good one. Would love to know, for those of you that do part with books, what you do with them? If you know of any good book swapping sites, let me know!

Stephanie

I resell my books on Amazon (sorry B&N!). It is really easy to list a book and you would be surprised at what people want.
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Good question, Ponie. If the books are in a series, it always seems better to read them in order. But, if they have nothing to do with each other, I don't think it really matters. For example, I love Agatha Christie but don't read the books in the order in which she wrote them. BTW, Prayers For Sale is on my Wish List. It really looks good.

ponie wrote:

And here's a question...when an author has many books out, not necessarily a series, do you think it is better/good to go back and start reading them "in order"; read the ones that came before, then the new one?

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

Ponie:

Thanks, I will put Hannah's Dream on my TBR list (if I can find the end.. lol)

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

So many wonderful indications of books. "A life is too short for so many books". Dog on it and Prayers for Sale have been indicated for a lot of people. I'd like to read them very much, but it's a bit complicated to buy books cause I'm from Brazil, overseas. Shippings are very high, dolar is too expensive if we compare currency, and we still take risks of paying importation taxes. So, I'd love to share information with you about most of these books you indicate but it's a far distant dream for me.

gl, suspense, mistery and horror books are among my favorite ones. My confession is: I love books, anyway.

Thayer wrote:

Prayers for Sale 

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

I love books that involve history and fiction. The mixture of history and literature is fantastic. The name of the rose, by Umberto Eco is one my favorite ones. There's another great book which I'd like hardly to be indicated:

The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children #1) 
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

marciliogq wrote:

So many wonderful indications of books. "A life is too short for so many books". Dog on it and Prayers for Sale have been indicated for a lot of people. I'd like to read them very much, but it's a bit complicated to buy books cause I'm from Brazil, overseas. Shippings are very high, dolar is too expensive if we compare currency, and we still take risks of paying importation taxes. So, I'd love to share information with you about most of these books you indicate but it's a far distant dream for me.

gl, suspense, mistery and horror books are among my favorite ones. My confession is: I love books, anyway.

marciliogq, you are from Brazil?  You are Brazilian?  You are working in Brazil?  Are there book stores like B&N?  From what you say I am guessing not.  Libraries?  As we have discussed earlier- loving and preferring the feel of the page, the cover, the binding, the feel of the book in the hand or on the lap BUT...and I don't really know how it works...would a Kindle allow you to get books you cannot get your hands on in your country???  I know they are expensive, I was just wondering.

ponie
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

You can only buy/ download Kindle books if you live in the US. Though I am sure they will expand at some point. It has do do with the affiliation of Amazon and US cell companies. They don't have any yet with those outside the US.

ponie wrote:

marciliogq wrote:

marciliogq, you are from Brazil?  You are Brazilian?  You are working in Brazil?  Are there book stores like B&N?  From what you say I am guessing not.  Libraries?  As we have discussed earlier- loving and preferring the feel of the page, the cover, the binding, the feel of the book in the hand or on the lap BUT...and I don't really know how it works...would a Kindle allow you to get books you cannot get your hands on in your country???  I know they are expensive, I was just wondering.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook

I think you're my fathers' cousin's wife's sister-in-law's half brother's daughter.

debdesk wrote:
I dont know if I am realted to Debbook - But maybe....:smileytongue:

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:
You can only buy/ download Kindle books if you live in the US. Though I am sure they will expand at some point. It has do do with the affiliation of Amazon and US cell companies. They don't have any yet with those outside the US.

ponie wrote:

marciliogq wrote:

What a colossal bummer!!!!  Could a person in Brazil download an audio book from a US library?
ponie
Contributor
debdesk
0 Kudos

Well it is nice to meet you distant relative...

debbook wrote:
I think you're my fathers' cousin's wife's sister-in-law's half brother's daughter.

debdesk wrote:

Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:

debdesk wrote:

I knew it!!!!!! :smileyvery-happy:  It's that 6 degress of separation thing.  If a debchair signs up it's going to get interesting.
ponie