Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Reading preferences

I loved The Thirteenth Tale a great storyteller, it's kind of House of Rivertonish.
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Re: anticipation

liisa22 wrote:

ponie wrote:

I have confirmation envy!!!!!

Well, I will probably be the one who gets the book the day after we start discussion!  

Oh! Let's hope not!!  Remnds me when my kids rode the bus to/from school; they were first on and last off.  Made for a very long ride!!!
ponie
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

It really was good. I was glued to the pages waiting to see what happened.  :smileyhappy:

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

Wasn't it great? I keep looking for a new book by her but nothing yet.

I recommend TTT to anyone who asks me for a suggestion on what to pick up.

DSaff wrote:

I loved The Thirteenth Tale. I will be interested to hear how you like it.

Message Edited by DSaff on 05-04-2009 12:14 PM

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

I also love The Thirteenth Tale!  It's one of the best books I've read in a while.

Amanda

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:
Libralady you'll have to let us know what you think of The Thirteenth Tale... I personally loved it and thought it was truly a book for book lovers.

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

I also read The Thirteenth Tale - do let us know what you think of it.  Enjoy!!!

libralady wrote:

My favorite place to read, in the warmer months, is either on my screened porch or on the deck.  In the winter, you can find me in my big comfy recliner with a blanket.  :smileyhappy:  My drink of choice is tea; hot in the winter and iced in the summer.  I am a coffee lover, but for me tea goes better with books.  Sometimes I will listen to jazz while I am reading...depending on what I am reading.  I, too, have several books going at once.  Currently, I am reading The Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldI have had it for a while, but never got around to reading it.  So far, I really like it.  Next up is The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. I have read other books by him that I liked, so I am hoping that this one is no exception.  Of course, I can't wait to get started on Of Bees and Mist.

Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

About The Thirteenth Tale, I promise to let everyone know how I like it.  So far, I REALLY like it!  I am thinking, "It can only get better."  The House at Riverton  is also on my list.  The list is so long...so many books, so little time!

"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

The House at Riverton is another of my favorites. Kate Morton is a fabulous writer and her  newest one, The Forgotten Garden, is also wonderful.  :smileywink:

libralady wrote:

About The Thirteenth Tale, I promise to let everyone know how I like it.  So far, I REALLY like it!  I am thinking, "It can only get better."  The House at Riverton  is also on my list.  The list is so long...so many books, so little time!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I love Sandra Dallas!  I have read all her books and can't wait to get a copy of the latest, although I will probably wait until it is out in paperback, as I like my books to match.  My favorites are Persian Pickle Club and Tallgrass (which I thought was amazing).  

Thayer wrote:

I am currently reading (and enjoying) Dog on It.  While at Barnes and Noble purchasing this book the associate recommended Prayers for Sale.  It is a Barnes and Noble Recommends selection. It looks really good, so have added it to my ever growing TBR file.  ~So many books, so little time~  Anyone read it?

Prayers for Sale 

As for my reading spot of choice, I can-and usually do-read anytime, anywhere. But I must say my fave place is outside, preferably in my hammock, or while picknicking on a blanket somewhere. I also love reading at the beach while on holiday. Nothing like the soothing sound of the waves, seagulls and laughter to enhance a lovely story.

I read everywhere and anytime.   I take my mom to a lot of doctor's appointments and sit in the car and read while she sees the doctor.  However, I don't read in bed, because I will stay up all night reading, instead of sleeping.  

Message Edited by Tarri on 05-04-2009 10:25 AM
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

I have all the Earth Children books.  It has been a while ago that I read them.  I like them all, but I think the first one was best.   I have The Name of the Rose on my TBR pile.  I have the movie and decided to buy the book, as the book is usually better than the movie.  Right now I am reading the 4th installment of The Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte.  The Saxon Shore is the fourth of nine installments.  It is more historical fiction than Authorian myth.  The series starts back when Rome is leaving Britian which in this series would be Aurhur's grandfather. 

MG

marciliogq wrote:

I love books that involve history and fiction. The mixture of history and literature is fantastic. The name of the rose, by Umberto Eco is one my favorite ones. There's another great book which I'd like hardly to be indicated:

The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children #1) 

Scribe
vivico1

two words..."becoming overkill"

ponie wrote:

a la The Mamas and The Papas...

Monday Monday Confirmation Day

Monday Monday I sit and wait and hope and pray

This Monday morning my PM will tell me yea or nay

By Monday evening I hope I'm "in" and on my way!!!!!!

:smileyvery-happy:

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

ponie wrote:

ouch!  :smileysad: Hey! vivico1! sorry if I offended.  I was just having fun while waiting.
ponie
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

:smileysurprised: Maybe we should change to haiku? 

Although I do blame you, ponie.  Yesterday I was doing tractor songs about the brown truck as I was doing dishes.  Thankfully, there weren't that many dirty dishes.

ponie wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

ponie wrote:

ouch!  :smileysad: Hey! vivico1! sorry if I offended.  I was just having fun while waiting.

Correspondent
DiniB

Hi Ponie - I don't think anything you wrote should have offended anyone... 

I thought the community room was open to any subject, so rhyme away :smileywink:.  I just reviewed the "User Guidelines" and the first thing listed was "be respectful".  I think you are in the clear.

ponie wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

ponie wrote:

Goodreads ID: dinib
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Nope, don't get me wrong. I never said I was offended. You did not offend me. It takes a lot more than that to offend me.

Tarri wrote:
:smileysurprised: Maybe we should change to haiku?
Although I do blame you, ponie. Yesterday I was doing tractor songs about the brown truck as I was doing dishes. Thankfully, there weren't that many dirty dishes.

ponie wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

ponie wrote:

ouch! :smileysad: Hey! vivico1! sorry if I offended. I was just having fun while waiting.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

Moving along now everyone, please!

We have an incredible book on tap here and I just spoke to the publisher who is now getting started on an exclusive video for club members.

Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

Very exciting - you guys are so good to us!  Thank you!

Cheers,

Amanda

PaulH wrote:

We have an incredible book on tap here and I just spoke to the publisher who is now getting started on an exclusive video for club members.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Paul, I have noticed that some of the authors now (or their publishers) are making short videos showing the story line, almost like a promo for a movie. Karen Rose when she was in here last month, had one and we asked her if it was also a movie. She said no, just a promo for the book, but it was really cool and really fit the book. This is a new trend that is pretty interesting (I say new, I have never seen them like that before, just blips about the book, not like short movie scenes). Is that what they are doing for this one?

PaulH wrote:

Moving along now everyone, please!

Vivian
Contributor
Quzygirl
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone! I'm new here- just signed up for Of Bees and Mist and got my confirmation! So until we start our discussion thought I would jump in here and say hello! 

My favorite place to read is the porch! Of course this is difficult in a New England winter so I have to make due with the couch then!:smileywink: I do like some soft music in the background. Either way it's me with my pup BJ next to me while I'm reading. And speaking of reading I just got finished with The Gargoyle  by Andrew Davidson. It was a bit bizzare at the start, but turned out to be a great read... Anyone else read this yet?

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Hi PaulH,

I'd love to be in the discussion. I can't wait for the video and the book. I'm getting obsessive (OMG!!!). Sincewe started this community I can't forget this sentence: "her mother spends her days venomously beheading cauliflowers in the kitchen". I created a view of it on my mind so it'd be great to know what happens next.

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

[ Edited ]

Adding one more book to my list of reads before the next FL (no confirmation for me yet but, I still have my fingers crossed - makes typing very difficult :smileyhappy:).

I just received

The Angel's Game and can't wait to start it! It sounds great.

If anyone is a fan of Carlos Ruiz Zafon, you can check out the Angel's Game website. There is some music, an interview with the author and ultimately it looks like there will be a trailer (nothing there on my browser though).

Zafon is the author of Shadow of the Wind  -- I have not read this one. Has anyone else?

CathyB

Message Edited by CathyB on 05-04-2009 07:52 PM