Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Daniel

How would you describe Daniel's behavior, from his courtship of Meridia, on?

What do you find to be his strongest attribute, and what is his greatest flaw?

Did you think less of Daniel when you saw his interactions within this family?

What kind of husband is Daniel shaping up to be? Why didn't he immediately protect his wife from his mother?

Is he right to have developed such raw resentment against Ravenna?

If you looked at the marriages of the parents, how does Meridian's and Daniel's marriage compare? Will they make it?

Scribe
DSaff

Re: Daniel

[ Edited ]

I have only read through the second section, so my  perception of Daniel is based on that. I am actually enjoying his character more than I thought. At first, Daniel seemed to be from a dream. Meridia needed him and there he was. Their courtship was sweet and tender, and I had great hope for him. Then, they moved in with is parents and things seemed to fall apart. Meridia and Daniel didn't seem to see eye-to-eye, although he tried to pacify her when things were going badly with his mother. At that point, I thought Daniel was a pacifist only.

Then came the huge fight when Meridia went back to her parents' home. It was devastating to watch because it didn't think that Daniel would stand up for himself and his wife. I felt Meridia's heart break when she thought he didn't care. But, Daniel does care - he loves Meridia. That was evident when he showed up night after night and fought the mist to try to get to her. I was very happy to find out that he had tried to follow Meridia the night she left, but his parents prevented him from leaving. (I am wondering what kind of "powers" each of the parents has.) I think Daniel's greatest strength is his complete love for Meridia and his biggest flaw is a lack of backbone with his parents. I saw that backbone start to stiffen in the second section and I hope that continues as Noah grows. He and Meridia seem to be able to communicate well without words, i.e. hiding the money and gold, and that is fun to watch. They seem made for eath other.

Thankfully, we see them back together. We see BOTH fathers looking out for the welfare of this young couple. Gabriel "negotiates" the purchase of the house and business for them and Elias does things for them on the sly. I loved reading how the fathers fought, each in his own way, to give them the opportunity to make it. After all, they have to live with their wives. Their marriages seem to be very undesirable (although I hold out hope for Gabriel and Ravenna), and they seem to want their children to succeed.

Message Edited by DSaff on 06-08-2009 07:59 AM
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36

I think that Daniel is coming into his home. We see that his father has been completely overpowered by Eva and her bees. Daniel's finally leaving the house has been a positive experience for him. I love that he can finally see what Eva is about and is completely on Meridia's side in trying to thwart Eva's attempts to break up and control their lives. I think it is still too soon to tell whether or not they will make it but so far it seems that their marriage is stronger than either of their parents marriages. They work together to get things done and that should go a long way in helping their marriage work.
Wordsmith
Deltadawn

During his courtship of Meridia, Daniel's was entirely charming, attentive, completely smitten and devoted.

After their marriage, he still was very devoted to his wife, but Daniel allowed his mother to control almost every aspect of his and Meridia's life. He tried to pacify Meridia and keep the peace, but he did not have the strength to stand up to Eva.

His greatest attributes are his love and devotion - but they can also be seen as his greatest flaws - because he does not see when his devotion is being exploited by his mother. That unwavering devotion, which he also bestows upon his mother, compromises and almost destroys his marriage to Meridia. (Hoewver, the devotion he displays for his mother is not merely an illustration of his love for her - but also his fear of her).

I definitely thought less of Daniel after seeing his interactions with his family. He seemed to not be shaping up to be a very devoted husband. However, when he returned every night - night after night - to seek out Meridia at her parents house - his commitment to her and love for her shone through. I don't think his love for her is in question - but his strength to stand up for himself and her against his parents - that is his weakness and his main problem.

Daniel is not right to have developed such raw resentment towards Ravenna. She was trying to protect her daughter. He has the expectation that Meridia will learn to deal with his mother and her constant interference in their lives - if only for Meridia's sake, he should make an attempt to have a civil relationship with Ravenna.

dhaupt

Daniel's behavior from courtship on is pretty much typical male behavior, he sees who he wants and goes after her. But I was very impressed by his actions regarding Meridia and how he stood up to his parents. 

Daniel's strongest attribute is his love for his own family of Meridia and Noah, his greatest flaw hasn't been revealed to me yet.

I think more of Daniel after his interactions with his family not less.

Daniel is at this point shaping up to be a good husband and father.

I don't think Daniel saw that Meridia needed protection from Eva and at first neither did Meridia think she needed protection.

I don't know if he has a right for his resentment toward Ravenna, but I can see why it occurred.

Compared to the parents' marriages it doesn't bode well for Meridia's and Daniel's, but maybe they will change the pattern and become a truly happy family. 

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB

I think that at the start of the courtship Daniel was sweet and innocent. Once married, he lived in his own isolated world. He did not see what he did not want to see.

I never really thought too much of Daniel and my attitude has not changed. Yes, he finally stood up to his parents but he did it out of his own selfish need and not when he should have.

He didn't immediately defend Meridia becase he had been ingnoring the situation - but, the dam finally broke ...

No, his raw resentment toward Ravenna is not yet warranted.

Hopefully, the marriage will last. It appears that the other two did have love at the beginning so, who knows what will happen to change things.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

CathyB wrote:

I think that at the start of the courtship Daniel was sweet and innocent. Once married, he lived in his own isolated world. He did not see what he did not want to see.

I never really thought too much of Daniel and my attitude has not changed. Yes, he finally stood up to his parents but he did it out of his own selfish need and not when he should have.

He didn't immediately defend Meridia becase he had been ingnoring the situation - but, the dam finally broke ...

No, his raw resentment toward Ravenna is not yet warranted.

Hopefully, the marriage will last. It appears that the other two did have love at the beginning so, who knows what will happen to change things.

Cathy, I saw Daniel's attitude at first was just inattentiveness, I don't think men see problems as quickly as women do especially between women and especially between his mother and his wife. But you've made me try to see it from a different perspective.
thanks 

Frequent Contributor
booksJT

Daniel was attentive to Meridia during their courtship. After they got married he was still devoted but Eva had a lot of influence over him. Daniel seemed to believe everything Eva was saying without any proof. Daniel was weak in the beginning of his marriage because his mother had control over him. She treated him as her baby and not as a married man with a family.

His strongest attributes are his love and devotion for his family. But they are his greatest flaws because he is confused about which family needs his love and devotion. He seems to give his mother his love and devotion when Meridia is the one who should be getting it.  His mother has him so confused at times he doesn't know what to do.

I thought less Daniel when he didn't stand up for his wife. His mother had put so much fear in him that he was scared that he might lose his mother's love.

After Daniel persisted in trying to get Meridia back I gained a little more respect. I think Daniel thought that Meridia would stay with him no matter what. Once Meridia stood up for herself then Daniel realized he had to fight for his family regardless  of the consequences.

Daniel was not right for being upset with Ravenna. She was only trying to protect her daughter.

Their marriage will be stronger then their parents. I think Daniel and Meridia will make it because they have so much love for each other. Meridia realized what caused her mother's marriage to be ruined so she changed what was happening with her and Daniel.

Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

Dsaff,

I totally agree with you...at first I thought that Daniel was weak and was afraid to stand up to his parents. I don't like when I see or hear of men not standing up for their wives against their mothers (of course in a respectible way). I believed Daniel was like this at first and really just got aggitated from his character. But when I read later that he stood up to them and did try to go after her I felt much better because I was hoping he would change and here he was the person I thought but didn't read about that until later.

I also can appreciate the deception that him and Meridia tried to pull on their mother also because she truly is suffocating them and Daniel started to get smart and agreed with Meridia that obtaining a partnership would be best!

I'm routing for Daniel and hope that he will continue to support and love his wife.

Read on!

Danielle

PiperMurphy

rkubie wrote:

What kind of husband is Daniel shaping up to be? Why didn't he immediately protect his wife from his mother?

If you looked at the marriages of the parents, how does Meridian's and Daniel's marriage compare? Will they make it?

I think Daniel will turn out to be a good husband. He only has his parents as an example to go by, which is why he didn't intervene between Meridia and his mother. He didn't see what was happening as a problem because it was what he had grown up with and was used to. I don't think that Daniel understands Ravenna anymore than we do. I think that he will eventually find out that he misjudged her.

Since this is a fable, I'm predicting that Meridia and Daniel will use the examples of the parents' marriages to correct their own and will live happily ever after.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
emmagrace
0 Kudos

I fell for Daniel in the earlier chapters. He was Meridia's salvation. He was so kind to her. He showered her with the attention that she desperately needed. His biggest failing is that he lets his mother control every aspect of his life. He obviously adores Meridia, but he is letting his mother ruin everything that they have together.

I was so disappointed in Daniel when he did not stand up for his wife right away. I blame it all on the years that he has been under his mother's thumb.

Things seem to be very rough right now, but I think their marriage is so much better than the other two couples. I know that Eva will continue to try to ruin their marriage, but I am hoping that they will find a way to pull through and live a happy life together.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

What a beautiful description! I agree with you totally.

But you also made me think.

I especially like how you described how the fathers were looking out for the couple.

Very good post.

pen21

DSaff wrote:

I have only read through the second section, so my  perception of Daniel is based on that. I am actually enjoying his character more than I thought. At first, Daniel seemed to be from a dream. Meridia needed him and there he was. Their courtship was sweet and tender, and I had great hope for him. Then, they moved in with is parents and things seemed to fall apart. Meridia and Daniel didn't seem to see eye-to-eye, although he tried to pacify her when things were going badly with his mother. At that point, I thought Daniel was a pacifist only.

Then came the huge fight when Meridia went back to her parents' home. It was devastating to watch because it didn't think that Daniel would stand up for himself and his wife. I felt Meridia's heart break when she thought he didn't care. But, Daniel does care - he loves Meridia. That was evident when he showed up night after night and fought the mist to try to get to her. I was very happy to find out that he had tried to follow Meridia the night she left, but his parents prevented him from leaving. (I am wondering what kind of "powers" each of the parents has.) I think Daniel's greatest strength is his complete love for Meridia and his biggest flaw is a lack of backbone with his parents. I saw that backbone start to stiffen in the second section and I hope that continues as Noah grows. He and Meridia seem to be able to communicate well without words, i.e. hiding the money and gold, and that is fun to watch. They seem made for eath other.

Thankfully, we see them back together. We see BOTH fathers looking out for the welfare of this young couple. Gabriel "negotiates" the purchase of the house and business for them and Elias does things for them on the sly. I loved reading how the fathers fought, each in his own way, to give them the opportunity to make it. After all, they have to live with their wives. Their marriages seem to be very undesirable (although I hold out hope for Gabriel and Ravenna), and they seem to want their children to succeed.

Message Edited by DSaff on 06-08-2009 07:59 AM

Scribe
vivico1

I must be one of the few who mistrusted Daniel during the courtship! I wasn't even sure he was real! But I had this forboding feeling about him from the very first. Then when he thought dear old mom (Eva) was fine with how she treated the girls, I thought, Run Meridia Run! lol

When Daniel didn't stand up for Meridia right away and stand by her, I thought, well there it is! But I am very happy he proved me wrong. He had to love Meridia to stand outside her house and have some evil mist rip the clothes right off him and throw him back and then come back again with more layers of clothes LOL! WHO do you know today, young man or old, would come back after that lol. I even then started to worry that Meridia was the one who was going to listen to her parents and lose him, let him go!

Both are young, they both nearly let go of each other because of their parents but they finally didn't. I like Daniel now and I think his biggest weakness was the same as hers, just being young and trying to do as their parents say. I think his biggest strength is the same as hers also, their love for each other. I want to see what becomes the mystical symbols of their lives together and what their home will show about them!

side note, I asked Erick about this but have you noticed that all of the male names in here are bible names of pretty dominant figures? Daniel, Noah, Gabriel, Elias, Samuel (won't say more about Samuel so there will be no spoiler but I got just a couple of chapters ahead lol, so just saying his name as another example)???? And forget looking up the meanings of those names, just think about who they were in the bible. Daniel has certainly been in the lions den for some time now! Noah may help save many of them from the rocky seas and so on. Some of the women's names are too, Hannah, Rebecca and Leah, but not all. I am curious about that and what Erick will say about it.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

rkubie wrote:

I'm still wondering if Daniel and Meridia were set up with regard to their meeting.  However, if this connection was planned by family, it has backfired, because Daniel and Meridia have truly fallen in love.  From their first meeting on you could feel the relationship growing.  

What I find to be Daniel's strongest attribute is his ability to love to it's fullest.  He truly loves Meridia and I can feel it as I read.  As for his greatest flaw, I would say he is to easily swayed or controlled by his mother, and would not stand up for Meridia against his mother and father.  

Daniel is finally shaping up well as Meridia's husband.  He finally has cut the umbilical cord and  is now free ( so to speak) of his mother's influence and control.  As to why he didn't protect his wife from his mother, well I think he needed to grow a backbone in order to stand up to her.  Since then he has proven himself to Meridia and things have definitely improved.

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
emmagrace
0 Kudos

Well said DStaff!
PiperMurphy

MSaff wrote:

rkubie wrote:

I'm still wondering if Daniel and Meridia were set up with regard to their meeting.  However, if this connection was planned by family, it has backfired, because Daniel and Meridia have truly fallen in love.  From their first meeting on you could feel the relationship growing.  

What I find to be Daniel's strongest attribute is his ability to love to it's fullest.  He truly loves Meridia and I can feel it as I read.  As for his greatest flaw, I would say he is to easily swayed or controlled by his mother, and would not stand up for Meridia against his mother and father.  

Daniel is finally shaping up well as Meridia's husband.  He finally has cut the umbilical cord and  is now free ( so to speak) of his mother's influence and control.  As to why he didn't protect his wife from his mother, well I think he needed to grow a backbone in order to stand up to her.  Since then he has proven himself to Meridia and things have definitely improved.

What if their meeting was brought about by the seer at the carnival? Actually, maybe it was predestined. That's an interesting possibility come to think about it.
"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

i like vivico1 statements....it never crossed my mind that Daniel might not be real!!
Frequent Contributor
GnANorman

Daniel was like his father in a lot of ways.  He tended to ignore what his mother was doing and just follow her direction.  The problem is that Meridia was blindsided by Eva- first by giving her a glimpse of what she thought a mother should be, the by showing her true colors to Meridia.  Daniel became a loving parent and father once Gabriel stepped up and told Daniel and his family the requirements needed for Meridia to return home to him. He learned what he could lose (true love).  Unfortunately, Eva's needling did not stop.  

I think Daniel was resentful of Ravenna because she offered the qualities of caring and support that Eva lacked.  She seemed to show up when Meridia was most in need.  Eva just showed up and liked to stir up problems.  Ravenna offered honesty- Eva offered lies.

rkubie wrote:

Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

I think Daniel is shaping up to be a good husband and I think that he will be a good father as well.  At the start of his marriage, I think he was acting very much like Elias.  He chose to ignore what was starting to happen between his mother and Meridia and was just concerned with keeping peace.  I don't think he expected to have to make a choice between his mother and his wife.  When faced with that decision, I was glad to see him choose Meridia.  When he told Eva that she no longer needed to come to the shop two and three ties a day and when he confronted her about paying the boy to watch them are good examples of Daniel finally taking a stand against Eva.  Being a strong husband is something Daniel had to grow into.  His own father certainly did not set a good example for him. Being out of the Orchard Street house and Eva's control helped him to grow up. 
"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

I believe I remember Daniel talking about his Mom to Meridia while they were courting. He seemed to be a really good person and was a good son. And of course right away you think he would be a good husband and father. It was as if Eva had a spell on him when she was with him. He would try to listen to what Meridia said but once he got into Eva's  company he completely became unreasonable . As he couldn't understand why his wonderful mother would lie. Daniel had watched his father through the years and understands that it was best to let the bees alone. He and Meridia go out to eat when she was in one of her uproars with Daniel's father.  So he was use to looking the other way when Eva was in one of her rages.  I wonder, did Daniel think this was normal behavior for a mother to be like Eva.  Anyway, I am liking this second set of chapters.