dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters, 1-9

I wondered about Hannah as well.  She seems almost a fairy godmother or guardian angel type character - someone who appears when Meridia seems lost and in need of a friend.

Contributor
stkong7

[ Edited ]

At first I was not sure about the writing style, but as I kept reading, I finally got it!  I chose to interpret some of the things as symbolic, and not actual.  Like the mist, while the author's descriptive writing style forces the reader to literally envision an actual mist or cloud like substance, I think it is more like a "force" propelling its inhabitant. 

Message Edited by stkong7 on 06-05-2009 05:32 PM
Inspired Contributor
kaylami
0 Kudos

I'm behind on this discussion...which happens when your trying to move and have trouble getting the computer connected again.

I just wanted to add a thought about Hannah...and it might have been already said.  If that's the case, then I apologize.  But, I think Hannah is a ghost as well.  Perhaps part of the whole curse on the house and family.  I haven't figured that out the why and how yet. 

At first reading a book with no real location or time period left me frustrated.  Now I realize that it puts me in the same boat as Meridia...confused and lost.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Cover

Question: Does anyone feel that this wonderful book is appropriate for a 13 yaer old..I do..I believe Of Beesand Mist is really an ageless book
Jo6353 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:
Ghostlike figure left side front cover where a "A Novel" is written and yellow rose,but again if I am the only one who see's it that fine,3 years ago My Dad was sitting in my Living Room  when I walked in the front door..my Dad has been deceased for 21 yrs..,then he was gone...Just checking up on me,I suppose..V

Making sure that you came home on time!

How did you know?,I suppose when he passed away and then came to visit me,he just remembered how old I was back then...Now everyone will know that I believe in reincarnation..its ok..Vtc
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
KimberlyH

I have really enjoyed reading this book.  It quickly drew me into the story.  I instantly wanted to know what was going to happen to this little girl.  Empathy was instant.  There was so much to the story in the first few pages.  With so many choices of books on the market this is a great selling point. 

There is formable tension in the house between Ravenna and Gabriel.  Meridia’s nurse seemed to live in the sprit of the house – bundling the little girl up for walks as if the cold of the house was going to follow them to the park.  She also provided a shelter and warm for Meridia.  On page 16 “The nurse smiled with indulgence” when Meridia was entering womanhood, this tenderness shown in the nurse’s face would never have been seen from her mother.

Ravenna and Gabriel - these two poor souls are so contained in their own misery that Meridia becomes a ghost in her own house.  For her mother, Meridia embodies the desire to forget memories of the past, the anger of her current entrapment and her helplessness / weakness to move from her current path.  To her father, Meridia is the embodiment of the resentment for the loss of his desired life.

I just loved fight between the ghost and the mists.  Her discovery of her Ravenna being the ghost and acting out the frustration of Gabriel’s affair was eye opening.  On page 34, Meridia finds herself connected to the ghost’s continuous fighting – “her dream of the bright light always preceded these attacks, and it came and went according to the same frequency.”  She is being to understand the dynamics of the household.

There are three mists, and I have not decided if these are representations of the three souls living in the house, the three adults in the love triangle or something completely different.  Meridia using them to help her translate her mother’s “dark and private language” that she secretly wrote down.  She bribed and stalked the mists using them as a translator for the sounds from Ravenna’s mouth.   

Hannah appears to be the girl that Meridia wants to be herself.  She is outgoing and fun, and knows all the fun spots in town.  However, Hannah does not appear in the mirror at the hairdresser.  Meridia herself noticed on page 39 “she could not see her friend’s reflection.”  When Hannah moves on to a new city, Maridia finds a letter from her friend on her hall table.  How would a letter be in her house?  I am started to think that Hannah is one of the mists.
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

Hannah

bookworm_gp wrote:
I thought Hannah was imaginary until I read about the letters between her and Meridia. Now I'm not so sure. Would she imagine the letters too? And then if Hannah was imaginary why wouldn't Meridia keep her around longer. I'm curious to see if she reappears later.

Perhaps just as Meridia can't be seen in the mirrors of her home as a symbol of her invisibility to her parents, Hannah doesn't show up in mirrors since she is transient in Meridia's life. It is not too long after this that Hannah leaves.

Tcat

Inspired Contributor
dragonchica
0 Kudos

Wow, I'm finally caught up lol.  I had a question that may have already been answered, or I may have missed the answer while I was reading; but does anyone know what year or time period this story takes place in?  I swear, all signs of times besides days and months are missing...Also, does anyone else thonk that Eva may have pocketed the wedding gifts the Daniel "picked for charity". I think some of those silks will make a second appearance as Evas' dress lol. When I first started this book, I had no idea what was going on, the description on the back of the book didn't sink in until around chapter 7.  Now I'm very interested to see what happens, especially all the mystery around Eva...Good stuff

sorry if I repeated anything :smileywink:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonchica/
Distinguished Correspondent
ReaderGal74

I noticed the cover right off.  I love books that have "hidden" pictures in them.  Does anyone remember when Da Vinci Code had hidden messages in them...anyway I digress.

I thought with as much as I liked the cover I would enjoy the book. I have to say that I am honestly not sure where I stand with my emotions about this book.  I felt like I had a hard time getting into the story, but I couldn't seem to put the book aside, hence my confusion.  The beginning of the story was intruiging in the way that the mist covers the house and attacks people who get in its way.  I imagined that the mist is the physical representation of the pall that hangs over the household and its members. 

The nurse in the beginning, I wanted to resent her for putting all of those fears and issues upon Meridia until I began to see that she was in her own way trying to protect her.  Maybe it is the time that the story is set, but the more I read the more I forgave the nurse for being so strict.  I think the nurse disappeared not because of her own will but because of whatever mystical forces surround the house.  No one wants Meridia to know the truth, whatever it may be.

I think the part where the book started moving for me is when Meridia met Daniel.  I believe that he was what she needed at that time and became her confedant and friend.  Without him, I believe she would have been consumed by that house.

I have read that many readers compare this book to Harry Potter and I honestly can't see the comparison between them, unless you count a neglected child as similar.  I can't even say there is a book that I would compare it to unless it was one of Stephen Kings books like Geralds Game or Rose Red. 

Hannah still confuses me and reading all of the responses about her, I still can't say where I would place her.  I believe this may be why I am feel like I am having a difficult time reading this book because I don't know where to place everything.

Books...Never leave home without them
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

That was pretty much my first impression of the book as well - although it has a much more involved and gripping storyline and fascinating characters.
Frequent Contributor
bookworm_gp

" I think the nurse disappeared not because of her own will but because of whatever mystical forces surround the house.  No one wants Meridia to know the truth, whatever it may be."

-------------------------------------------

I don't believe the nurse went on her own free will, but I think Ravenna sent her packing because she caught her telling Meridia about the history between her and Gabriel. Just when the nurse was about to tell Meridia what happened when she saw the flashing light she smelled Ravenna's scent and stopped. I'm afraid that light means Ravenna or Gabriel tried to hurt Meridia when she was an infant.

http://write-juncture.blogspot.com/
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Gail_Pruszkowski
http://www.facebook.com/gail.pruszkowski
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bookworm_gp

Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Re: Hannah

tabcat wrote:

bookworm_gp wrote:
I thought Hannah was imaginary until I read about the letters between her and Meridia. Now I'm not so sure. Would she imagine the letters too? And then if Hannah was imaginary why wouldn't Meridia keep her around longer. I'm curious to see if she reappears later.

Perhaps just as Meridia can't be seen in the mirrors of her home as a symbol of her invisibility to her parents, Hannah doesn't show up in mirrors since she is transient in Meridia's life. It is not too long after this that Hannah leaves.

Tcat

Not only is Meridia invisible to her parents, but to the entire community in which she sometimes tries to immerse herself. 

The names of some of the central characters  are interesting. Meridia, for instance,relates to meridian, which can  mean  halfway dividing line, or  highest point.

No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Re: Hannah

Good idea on Meridia being halfway.

It made me think of her halfway between the 2 houses.

Especially after just finishing Chapter 9 where Meridia is moving from her home

to Daniel's home.

pen21

katknit wrote:

Not only is Meridia invisible to her parents, but to the entire community in which she sometimes tries to immerse herself. 

The names of some of the central characters  are interesting. Meridia, for instance,relates to meridian, which can  mean  halfway dividing line, or  highest point.

Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

Haven't we all written a note to oneself --- who is to say that Meridia was not writing Hannah --- my bets are still that Hannah is an imaginary friend.

Imaginary friends exist sometimes for a short period of time and sometimes for a lifetime.  My father tells me that I had an imaginary friend when I was under 5 years of age ... she was a yellow duck! No I didn't live on a farm.  The duck would sit at a separate chair at mealtime and no one could sit in that chair for fear that the duck would be smashed.  I don't remember "writing" letters or receiving letters from my friend the yellow duck - however, I do know I ran a neighborhood post office at the same time and all the neighborhood kids could mail and pick up their mail at the time... perhaps my friend the duck corresponded with me through a letter or two.

Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

I'm curious if it's a staircase as well.  I would lean toward it being one.  Someone mentioned that it's very abstract where the rest of the pictures are not.  However, the staircase it's self is pretty abstract, so maybe it fits that way?

Amanda

BookWoman718 wrote:

I'm voting with the "it's a staircase" people and I'm so glad someone had the imagination to see it. 

Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
OH, one other thing on the first chapters. One thing that has me hooked, is this memory or vision of Meridia that no one will explain fully. That flash of light! Things going wrong from then. She wants to know what happened, what it was, why her parents treat her they way they do, and she has had some explanation of why they do, but not what the flash of light was. They seem to move on about that, or go away, like the nurse. If I missed what the light was, someone tell me, but ONLY if its in the first 9 chapters! lol It has me "Mist"ified! :smileywink:

You haven't missed the explanation of the light.  I am still wondering about that too.  I find it odd that when the nurse tries to talk about it she disappears the next day...when Meridia asks her mother or father about it they both "shut down" or "go away" and go into themselves again.  What happened so that everyone, and possibly everything (the spirits), are shutting off Meridia from the truth?

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

ponkle wrote:

As I said before I love this book from page one but sometimes I got the feeling that Meridia wasn't real. Maybe she did die at birth and this is an imaginery story by another. That's why she becomes invisible. No, I don't think this is the case but one of the things I liked about this book is with all the imagery and "magic" you can interpret in many ways.

I just wanted to mention that I actually thought of that at one point.  Whether or not Meridia was actually real and that is why she is being ignored.  But then I thought otherwise because she gets married to Daniel.  It's still a thought in the back of my head though.

--Jen--

Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

Has anyone noticed the necklace on the upper left of the back cover? I wonder if all of the pictures hidden in the cover are symbols of hidden messages in the book which seem confusing now but will all be resolved when the book is concluded.

twj

I did see that and was wondering if anyone else noticed it as well.  We will have to see why it is there and what part of the story it comes in.

--Jen--

Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

Re: Cover

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

There's also two unattached leaves on the back cover... one in the upper left by the start of the second paragraph anf the other on the mid-right next to the last paragraph. All other leaves both front and back are attached to the branches.

There are actually three unattached leaves...if you look on the back cover all the way to the left and down towards the huge open space between the top vine and bottom vine...there is an unattached leaf with no stem.  I don't know if its supposed to be attached or not, but I just noticed it.

I also noticed a cresent moon with a "face", again I may be seeing things.  If you look at the spine of the book, all the way at the top, it is attached to the black box that says "Advance Reader's Edition" and it goes onto the back.  Does anyone else see it?

--Jen--

Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

FrankieD wrote:

I read our current chapters this morning while having my chemotherapy meds flowing...which took about 1 1/2 hours. The book had me absorbed within the first few minutes and before I knew it...I was invisible in the chemo room and went unnoticed by the rest of the crowd. Haven't we all had moments...or longer...of "invisiibility" at sometime during our lives...although Meridia's is long-lasting and at regular times.

Oh yeah...the cover was interesting to me as well and all the hidden items caught my eye early on. Lately I've been noticing shapes in things as well...like a face in my bathroom that has pine knots as eyes...and today I even saw a clowns face in the garbage liner in the chemo room while getting my treatment??? Perhaps this has been a side-effect of my meds...but it happens a lot.

So...as I said...this book has me drawn me in already and in some ways I almost feel like I've been living some of it already...but then I come to my senses...sort of!!!

Looking forward to the next section...FrankieD :smileyhappy: 

FrankieD,  haha you reminded me of my childhood bedroom which had a knotty pine door. The images contained in those pine knots could instantly change from a beloved cartoon character to a demonic apparition with the flick of my light switch. Funny how the mind works. :smileyvery-happy:  Glad you are enjoying the story, I am as well. Isn't it wonderful that we all enjoy a hobby (or in my case, an addiction) that can transport  us from the worries and anxieties of our mortal lives?
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud

Excellent point. I write a journal to my imaginary shrink. I invented him years ago when I was going through some major changes but couldn't afford a real shrink. Eventually the character evolved into a companion who would be called in whenever I had a problem I could only solve by dissecting it into its parts. When I joined a group of writers he become an excellent vehicle for detailing thoughts through "show, don't tell" since I was able to add dialogue this way.

LISA-BRYAN wrote:

Haven't we all written a note to oneself --- who is to say that Meridia was not writing Hannah --- my bets are still that Hannah is an imaginary friend.

Imaginary friends exist sometimes for a short period of time and sometimes for a lifetime.  My father tells me that I had an imaginary friend when I was under 5 years of age ... she was a yellow duck! No I didn't live on a farm.  The duck would sit at a separate chair at mealtime and no one could sit in that chair for fear that the duck would be smashed.  I don't remember "writing" letters or receiving letters from my friend the yellow duck - however, I do know I ran a neighborhood post office at the same time and all the neighborhood kids could mail and pick up their mail at the time... perhaps my friend the duck corresponded with me through a letter or two.