Inspired Contributor
BDonnelly
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters, 1-9

I'm LOVING this book!  I've read other books by Haruki Murakami - Kafka on the Shore and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles - that are reminscent of this book.  Also, the movie Pan's Labyrinth seems similiar.  They are all stories where you are not sure what is real, made up or some metaphysical alternate reality.  Very intriguing.  And it makes me work while I read because I don't want to miss any clues or misunderstand what's going on. 

I want to reserve comment on anything else because at this point I don't know what's going on.  But I can't wait to keep reading.

Correspondent
CJINCA
0 Kudos

libralady wrote:
I am glad that you brought up Patina.  I, too, am curious about her and wonder why her hobble worsens as Meridia gets closer...I also wonder why Eva appears to work her so hard when obviously she has physical limitations.  I am not quite sure what her part in this story will be, but I am sure it will be revealed as we read on.  As for Patina's eyes, p. 89 says, "her brown eyes were as soft as a baby's, yet something in those fathomless depths seemed ravaged by grief."  I am thinking that something bad must have happened to her in the past.  Possibly at the hands of Eva?  I am anxious to find out more about this relationship.
Danimal79 wrote:

Two things I'm really interested in are the notion of religion in this story and Eva and Patina's relationship.

In regard to the notion of religion.. There has been mention of God and of heaven but there is also mention of spirits (for example, when Daniel and Meridia run out of the seer's tent, the seer is angered and claims that their actions will also anger the "spirits."). And then there was the woman who asked  Meridia if she cared to insure her "afterlife" (at the festival).  I'm really interested to see if the author will expand on his vision of religion and how it plays into the fantastical world he's created in this book.

In regard to Patina and Eva.  I was intrigued when it was noted that Patina's hobble got worse as Eva came closer to her.  I'm wondering what the connection between the two women is.  I was thinking..could Patina be another daughter of Eva's but be in the body of an old woman? (Meridia did notice that Patina's eyes were youthful).  Or, perhaps, Patina is Eva's sister or her mother?  I definitely want to know more about these two characters and I'm pretty certain there is a more significant relationship between them than simply employer/employee.

I can't wait to read this week's chapters!!

Danimal

...and Patina's feet are described as "hoof-like" more than once -- p65, p88 -- some hint of enchantment here??

Inspired Contributor
BDonnelly

Just read some of the last posts about the numbers - nice observation.  Very interesting! 

There are many omens including the fawn and eagle.  And the colors of the mist, but, has anyone noticed how often descriptions include colors.  More than in any other book I've read.  Or is that just my paying more attention to colors since I've been trying to figure out the colors of the mists?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

BDonnelly wrote:

I'm LOVING this book!  I've read other books by Haruki Murakami - Kafka on the Shore and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles - that are reminscent of this book.  Also, the movie Pan's Labyrinth seems similiar.  They are all stories where you are not sure what is real, made up or some metaphysical alternate reality.  Very intriguing.  And it makes me work while I read because I don't want to miss any clues or misunderstand what's going on. 

I want to reserve comment on anything else because at this point I don't know what's going on.  But I can't wait to keep reading.

I was so happy to read your post referring to "Kafka on The Shore,and "The Windup Bird Chronicles"I happened upon H.Murakami and was totally engrossed in his books,and have felt that in and out of fantasy and reality.. Murakami has a gift of holding my attention,long after I have finished both books,so detailed,,Erick Satiawan has that gift as well..sometimes i get troubled, because I get it,and the house and all the feelings that are seem so normal after I get past the Fantasy,and sometimes not...  no spoilers I promise..Vtc
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
gosox
0 Kudos

Before I begin reading and responding to the posts on Chapters 1-9, I wanted to note a few things about my early reaction to the book.

Although I am enjoying the book so far, I do find it a bit confusing at times. Also, does anyone know where it takes place? I guess I enjoy having a place, a culture, a time period, or something to hang onto as I read a story. Considering Setiawan's background, I guess I find it a bit odd to have him write a book about women set in a place that seems a bit more Central/Latin America? Mexico?

How about Meridia's first meeting with Eva? Talk about Monster-in-law! Did anyone else pick up on the following line: "Eva brimmed with such energy and resilience that anyone would be hard pressed to imagine her ill." (62) Has there been mention of her being sick? If so, what is her illness?
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Wow great job noticing the numerology aspect of the story. The number 27 is referred to a lot in religious terms - there are 27 chapters in the New Testament, Revelation is the last chapter and the war lead by the Antichrist described in that chapter is supposed to last 27 years. Here's a web site about the number 27 http://www.ridingthebeast.com/numbers/nu27.php

And here's one about 10

http://www.prntrkmt.org/numerology/10.html 

Thanks Debbie for all the information...Yet another book has been written about 27",but its very off topic and will post it ,on the Community Board not on Ericks Site Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

I seem to be in the minority, but I'm having difficulty with the amorphous and ambiguous nature of this book. Also, I'm finding it glaringly obvious that the author's first language is not English, and the misuse of words is extremely distracting. Most plots evoke some sort of emotion from the first chapter, and that is not happening. I'll keep going, but I'm not certain I can make it to the end.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Re: Mist Colors

I love that the mists have such distinct personalities that we can distinugish them from  one another!

RNLana wrote:

I love this!  Thank you for this information.... What about the colors themselves as they pertain to Gabriel's point of view?  When he leaves, it is in the yellow mist.. a little ray of sunshine in his day?  a temporary escape.  When he returns, it is in the blue mist, to me blue represents cold, the cold house he comes back to, as well as the cold emotions present in the house, the absence of love.

Lana

DSaff wrote:

I don't know if anyone else is trying to figure out if the color of the mist has any significance, but I have been. Here is some of what I found and two sites with information. I would love to hear your thoughts.

White - stands for purity, cleanliness, and neutrality

Yellow - two-sided: wisdom, joy, intellectual energy and cowardice, deceit

Blue - youth, spirituality, peace, calming influence but too much can dampen spirits

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/color/a/symbolism.htm

http://www.crystal-cure.com/color-meanings.html

I may be totally off on this, but here goes. 

The white mist seems so cold and daunting, but also powerful in its control of things. This could represent the coldness of the marriage.

The yellow mist is seems to lean more toward the deceit meaning, and that deceit may simply be that no one knows where he goes. It could also mean that there is an affair.

The blue mist seems to tell me that he is calmer coming home than when he left. Those seeing it may be more depressed, however.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Cover

What's our current cover art inventory? Is this list missing anything?

Two sets of eyes

Fawn

Baby

Bee

Pendant

Bird

Shovel

Inspired Contributor
AnnJE
0 Kudos

I agree, Piper.  We may be overanalyzing and missing what is a wonderful read.  I am just going with the flow!
Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

Re: Cover

rkubie wrote:

Two sets of eyes

Fawn

Baby

Bee

Pendant

Bird

Shovel

There's a ring also on the front cover
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Re: Cover

rkubie wrote:

Two sets of eyes

Fawn

Baby

Bee

Pendant

Bird

Shovel

Diamond ring!   Surely we girls weren't about to overlook THAT...

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

I've reported on the misuse of a couple of words, asking if this kind of editing is part of the book discussion. I didn't receive an answer to my question. I don't want to embarrass the author, on the other hand I would hope that he wants to avoid mistakes in the final copy. As a writer one has the opportunity to make up new words, but a word that can be viewed as being misused is best avoided.

katknit wrote:
I seem to be in the minority, but I'm having difficulty with the amorphous and ambiguous nature of this book. Also, I'm finding it glaringly obvious that the author's first language is not English, and the misuse of words is extremely distracting. Most plots evoke some sort of emotion from the first chapter, and that is not happening. I'll keep going, but I'm not certain I can make it to the end.

Frequent Contributor
julyso
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Is Bees and Mist what you expected? What novels have you read (if any) that you might compare to it?

I am not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't quite this. Of Bees and Mist isn't something I would normally pick up & I am having a hard time getting into it. I like Meridia & do feel so sorry for her. I am wondering what will happen to her... I am just not enjoying all the spirits, spells, & witchcraft.  I am just not into the whole magical thing, not yet, anyways!

It reminds me of books written by Alice Hoffman...I usually enjoy her books, so I am going to stick with this one & see if I can get into it!

Message Edited by julyso on 06-03-2009 03:32 AM
Julie
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Advanced Reading Copies are also called Uncorrected Proofs meaning they will still undergo a final line edit for misspellings and misuse.

Sunltcloud wrote:

I've reported on the misuse of a couple of words, asking if this kind of editing is part of the book discussion. I didn't receive an answer to my question. I don't want to embarrass the author, on the other hand I would hope that he wants to avoid mistakes in the final copy. As a writer one has the opportunity to make up new words, but a word that can be viewed as being misused is best avoided.

katknit wrote:

Inspired Contributor
ilenekm
0 Kudos

I am still not sure whether I like this book. It is definately not the type of book that I would have picked up had it not been the First Look selection. I often dont read fantasy books or books with much mysticism.  I loved the last book, The Physic Book of Deliverance Dane because to me that was more history than fantasy.  I will continue reading this book, however, because I did find it was a quick read and I may be pleasantly surprised. 

Since the nurse was so overprotective of Meridia and she never really had friends, Hannah, either real or imaginary had a good influence on bringing Meridia out of her shell so that she could go to the festival and meet her intended. While reading, I never picked up on Hannah being a ghost but after reading the posts, I am not sure.  I am intrigued by Meridia so I will continue reading.

Reader 4
mckait
0 Kudos

It took me no time at all to be caught up in this book. 

In fact, once I picked it up I read it right through to the end.

I was immediately involved with the character, particularly Ravenna and

Meridia. If I don't like the characters, I do not enjoy the book. Not a problem here!

Everyone laughs and cries in the same language.
~ dreamslaughter
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

I just finished chapter 1 and am wondering what is going on? It is like her parents could care less about their daughter. She is just a nuisance to them.

I don't understand how a mother could just leave her daughter then claim she was there all the time. I am wondering if Rowenna has a problem.

It is like she never wanted the baby to begin with. I will be starting chapter 2 soon.

ReadingPatti

Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

Sassy398 wrote:

This book is absolutely awesome...it really makes you think. It has a whole scope of

different aspects to experience. From love,hate, empathy and mystery...Hats off to

Erick Setiawan.  The answer about Meridia's friend is that she is either imaginary or

Meridia has a split personality.

Wow I never considered the split personality aspect.......I kind of thought the "imaginary person" she longs to be but it could be a split personality! Great idea!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Could "Hannah" be the real unfettered Meridia?

mv5ocean wrote:

Sassy398 wrote:

This book is absolutely awesome...it really makes you think. It has a whole scope of

different aspects to experience. From love,hate, empathy and mystery...Hats off to

Erick Setiawan.  The answer about Meridia's friend is that she is either imaginary or

Meridia has a split personality.

Wow I never considered the split personality aspect.......I kind of thought the "imaginary person" she longs to be but it could be a split personality! Great idea!