Inspired Correspondent
Adeline79
0 Kudos

Re: Eva and Elias

biljounc63 wrote:
When reading about Eva I only picture the obnoxious and annoying Mrs. Olson from the old Little House on the Prairie television show.

That is a good comparison, but Eva does go a lot further I think. She seems a lot more evil than just opinionated and bossy.

http://thereadingjourney.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
Adeline79
0 Kudos

I wonder how Elias ever ended up marrying Eva. I just can't imagine her being a sweet young girl. Perhaps she was devious and trapped him. I don't remember any information in the book to do with their courtship. (Correct me if wrong.) She may have used honeyed words at first.
http://thereadingjourney.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

In each household, the mothers are an overpowering, supernatural force. What are Eva's qualities and powers?

Eva is a self centered, self absorbed bully. She has the power to prattle, belittle, beleaguer and annoy.

How does Meridia fit in with her? Would it be possible for Meridia to make peace with her and still be her own person?

Merida and Eva are destined for disaster. At one point, there may have been a possibility of at least mutual acceptance but after Noah's birth, I don't think Eva deserves acceptance and I'm sure Merida would agree.

What is the role of the bees in Eva and Elias' relationship?

The bees are metaphorical for Eva's constant prattling. I believe Elias to be of the peaceful sort by nature but Eva eventually prods him into regretful action with her stinging words.

What are Eva and Elias' relationships like with each of their children?

They are actually distant for both children and both parents. I think that Eva keeps everyone so stirred up with negative emotion that it's very hard for anyone to express love.

Do we get glimpses here of what the earlier and more loving relationship between Eva and Elias might have looked like?

Only a glimpse...

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

Quzygirl wrote:

Eva's power is her relentless hounding! She expects everyone to "obey" her and she is just so evil. She does have the amazing ability to "sweet talk" people- she can make you feel completely welcome in her presence (as long as she is pleased).

Meridia could not satisfy Eva unless she became the slave that Eva wanted. And I believe she did try for Daniel's sake to allow Eva full control- but it was never enough. Even when Eva tested her- such as with the baby's disheveled clothes she sent over- Meridia held her tongue.

The bees at first really confused me- were they real or just a metaphor? I finally decided it didn't matter either way, and that the bees were Eva's personal army of rage which she would set upon whoever displeased the most. She used the bees to control Elias.

I think that Elias' relationship with the children is pure. He has genuine affection for Daniel & the girls and especially with his grandson. He is seems pure of heart. Where as Eva tries to manipulate the children for her own gain. 

Very complicated family relationships! 

A great post & very well said! I couldn't agree more!
TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Ravenna cared for her daughter very much but did not know how to show her. Partly it was due to the depression she suffered with the birth of Meridia. Clearly what Ravenna suffered was postpartem depression. Apparently Ravenna lived in the era that did not have the knowledge of the things that affect a woman after she gives birth.

I agree with you here. It can be a very damaging thing. Do you think Ravenna ever really got over it?

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

tabcat wrote:

I see Eva as driven by money and social standing:

• She allows Daniel's marriage since Merida's family has money and  brings a nice dowry.  After Eva has what she wants from Meridia and finds that Meridia is not passive, she is more than ready to remove her from the house and Daniel's life (but keeps the dowry).
  • Merida is wise to Eva's motivation and is able to get Patina's medicine by telling Eva about Patina's pain in front of her visitors.
  • Eva gives in to Gabriel's demands to provide a house and business for Daniel and Merida only after Elias tells her that if they don't there will be a scandal, people will gossip about them and drag them through the mud (p.165).
  • Perhaps her disappointment in finding out that she is adopted has something to do with her percieved social status if it is true as Pilar said that Eva was a "street baby" and her mother a whore (p 120)

Tcat

A very enlightening perception of why Eva is Eva. Great job!
TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

ClaudiaLuce wrote:

Eva is the quintessential Queen B! (and I don't mean bee!)  Erik has fully conquered the English language by creating this delightful juxtaposition!!  I do believe that Eva is the most complex and fully developed of all the characters at this point in the book.  Her assiduous need for love has destroyed all the goodness in her and has created this creature who buzzes around concocting ways to destroy those around her, especially those who would dare to step on her boundaries!  She inflicts physical pain on those who she feels take the tiniest bit of love from her. She is so twisted about losing the love of her birth mother that she cannot accept the love Patina gives her. Because she feels so unloveable, due to the fact that she was abandonded by her birth mother, she cannot give and receive love and manages to throw barriers up to keep others from loving her.  Hence, the bees. 

While Eva does have a certain amount of love for her children, she doesn't understand it and can't accept it.  She is so full of self hate, that she can't love them.  She does have some love for Elias and that is the reason that Melina is her favorite child; this is the child that resembles Elias.  Eva treats Pemony with such rancor because she looks and acts like herself.  She cannot tolerate that here is her "mini-me" and that she should feel love towards her when she cannot stand herself!  However, she does want them completely devoted to her, and no one but her - she cannot have Daniel, her male child, showing love and affection to Meridia, so she will make her a slave to the household, lowering Meridia in status. 

When a grandchild comes in to the picture, Eva is devastated.  Here is someone else to take the limelight from her.  Elias is delighted, and so is Daniel.  This little being will take their devotion from HER.  Eva must do something and so she curses both mother and baby and almost has her way with doing away with the pair!  I see Eva as Margaret Hamilton as the Wicked Witch of the West!! More so than Mrs. Olson.  She is too pinched a person to be Mrs. Olson ~ Mrs. Olson did have some soft sides, the Wicked Witch didn't have any!

Erik has created a most interesting battle of wits between three strong willed women.  I am enjoying watching the ins and outs of these battles take place.  Way to go Erik!

What a great post! You've done a great job with getting inside Eva's head....Scary! :smileywink:
TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

spaced57 wrote:

In the end she will have alienated everyone around her, burned every bridge, and she will not receive kindness from a single soul. Therefore, in the end Eva's bees have nowhere to go but inward where she'll be stung by the bees of her own making.

Almost a pleasant thought, No? :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

I fully agree with

kiakar wrote:

Ravenna cared for her daughter very much but did not know how to show her. Partly it was due to the depression she suffered with the birth of Meridia. Clearly what Ravenna suffered was postpartem depression. Apparently Ravenna lived in the era that did not have the knowledge of the things that affect a woman after she gives birth.

It is very clear that Ravenna had post partem depression and never received treatment for it -- this may have been due to the culture, time period, etc. -- but sometimes even in modern times in USA there are women that go untreated for some reason.  Sometimes a woman will snap out of it after a period of time without treatment while others can not and if not treated it may lead to some very horrific events such as murdering ones own children like Andrea Yates did.  Luckily for Meridia, that Ravenna did not act out in the same manner.

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

LISA-BRYAN wrote:

but sometimes even in modern times in USA there are women that go untreated for some reason. 

This is very true. I belonged to a veteran mom's advice group a while back and came across a post by a new mom begging for help. She was so upset because she was having "bad thoughts" and couldn't figure out why. From everything she described, it sounded like she had postpartem depression. I sent her some links with further information about PD and only then did she realize that was what she was experiencing. She set an appointment to visit a Dr. but I'm not sure how it all worked out.