Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Gabriel

What are your first impressions of Gabriel?

Is this man truly so hateful of his own daughter? Do you have any understanding of his awful behavior toward her?

Do your feelings for Gabriel change as the story goes on?

What is Gabriel's relationship with the house and with the mists?

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel

Re: Gabriel

So far, I'm not liking Gabriel. I think that he treats Meridia the way he does because of his earlier boasting when she was born and doesn't want to tempt the fates any more.
Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

Is this man truly so hateful of his own daughter? Do you have any understanding of his awful behavior toward her?

I don't like Gabriel at all....I am sure there is so much more to him but for right now, I dislike him intensely. I think the way he treats Meridia is horrible....no matter the circumstances for his obvious dislike for her and his wife, you don't treat children that way...it will certainly leave a lasting impression.  I think he feels he owes the house something because why would he return each morning if he has finally escaped in the evenings.....the mists are like a gate keeper that allows his comings and goings..
Scribe
DSaff

I do not like Gabriel. While there may be major problems with his marriage, Meridia shouldn't have to bear the brunt of his disdain. She is a child. It seems that he has no love for her at all, which makes me wonder if he thinks he is not her father. If that is so, why would he keep up appearances? What is the hold between Ravena and Gabriel? They were in love once, but something major happened between them and I think it involves Meridia's memory of the white light. But still, there is no reason to be so mean to her. She was a little girl trying to survive in a house with big problems.

Gut-wrenching quote: pg. 75

"Papa. Why does he hate me, Mama?"

Ravenna, far from surprised, replied instantly. "Have you gone mad? You know very well he doesn't hate you. Your father hates me."

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
scarpettajunkie
0 Kudos

At first I felt sorry for Gabriel and could see his POV.  But then, he opened his mouth and I feel nothing but extreme dislike because of how he treated his daughter.  All because he does not know any better is not even an excuse.  He could do so much better.  Half of the problem is his fault.  He just seems to be hateful and the house is antagonizing him.  I do think he returns for apperances sake and hopefully deep down inside for the hope that things might change for the better every morning.
Scarpettajunkie lover of Cornwell and historical fiction
dhaupt

[ Edited ]

Oh my I really can't voice how I really feel about Gabriel in polite company. Lets just say that I dislike him intensely since my mother told me never to say hate.

I don't know the true reason why Gabriel acts like he does to Meridia, I know that it has something to do with his relationship w/Ravenna and what happened that fateful night when Meridia was a baby.

So far my feelings have only intensified for Gabriel for no matter his relationship with his wife the way he treats his child is abominable.

Gabriel is one of the reasons the house is so cold and in the early chapters I'll say that he uses the mists to his benefit to hide his escape and return to the house. Like they kind of hide his shame.

Message Edited by dhaupt on 06-01-2009 10:34 AM
Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

My fingers are crossed and candles are lit that Gabriel will turn out not to be the loathsome person he appears to be at first.
Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Frequent Contributor
booksJT
0 Kudos

After reading the first few chapters I really don't care for Gabriel. He should not be taking out his frustrations on his daughter. Meridia is innocent, it is not her fault that his marriage is not working out.

The real reason he is so hateful towards Meridia has nothing to with her but the mother. The night of Meridia's birth was so eventful it changed the whole household afterwards. This ongoing behavior stems from that night.

As the story continues I still dislike Gabriel because he treats Meridia worst the older she gets. When he speaks to Meridia his words humiliate her. Gabriel embarrasses  her in front of his friends.

Pg 15  Gabriel said,"girl has no grace or beauty. She is awkward, unattractive,and silly." 

Gabriel uses the mist to escape the house and hide his shame. The house is cold because of the relationship  Gabriel has with his wife and daughter.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

[ Edited ]

My first impression of Gabriel is that this tall, elegant man spent days in his study living for the sake of knowledge and everyone was terrified of him. He seldom spoke but his gestures or look conveyed command. He was limited in patience, scrupulous in appearance, direct in his manner and there was no warmth in his eyes. 

Gabriel has a true resentment towards Meridia. On page 15, Gabriel says: “The little girl has no grace or beauty. She is awkward, unattractive, and silly. Her mind, if you could call it that, is idle and easily distracted. I expect nothing from her. She will bungle through life and slip out of it without leaving the faintest mark…” I believe he would have rather had a son. On page 74, Ravenna says of Gabriel’s mistress: “Does he think she’s going to give him a son?” 

My feelings for Gabriel do not change as the story goes on because Gabriel is very steadfast in his awful behavior. I can’t wait to read on to try to understand what has driven Gabriel to this resentment of his wife and daughter. 

The house and the mists seem like their own characters in the book also. The house is made of glass and steel and sits on a hill with large latticed windows. It has stone steps with a sloping garden to the front door. The house also obeyed laws of its own. There are wood floors with no sound of footsteps and people just appear in the doorways. It is a perfect setting for Gabriel and his family to live in.  

“An ivory mist hovered over the front door regardless of the weather. The mist was a bane to peddlers and visitors alike, it often held them suspended in midair. Two other mists also frequented the house at different hours. Every evening there was a yellow mist as Gabriel left the house. He hid himself inside the vapor. The yellow mist traveled with him along Monarch St. and became thinner until it vanished with Gabriel. In the morning it was a blue mist that accompanied Gabriel traveling in the reverse direction and growing denser as he approached the house and merged with the ivory mist. Then Gabriel would come out of the union of the blue and ivory mist still cad in the previous night’s clothes.”  

Message Edited by eadieburke on 06-01-2009 11:17 AM
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

Re: Gabriel (SPOILER ALERT)

[ Edited ]

*******SPOILER ALERT********* 

1) What are your first impressions of Gabriel?

He is a cold unloving old man with little use for his wife and daughter.

2) Is this man truly so hateful of his own daughter? Do you have any understanding of his awful behavior toward her?

Gabriel is a bully towards Meridia --- he mocks her and treats her awfully.  Perhaps any attention on his part could be construed as love -- but it is a stretch.

3) Do your feelings for Gabriel change as the story goes on?

Yes - he actually does care and love Meridia... if it wasn't for him things would have been much different for Meridia and Daniel and Noah. 

No - his 20+ year affair with Pilar really puts a knife in you... how he could continue a relationship - knowing that his mistress was connected with his daughter's new family was very upsetting.

4) What is Gabriel's relationship with the house and with the mists?

Gabriel eats meals at the house.  When he arrives so do some of the mists.... thus combining with Ravenna's mists make the house colder and less inviting to outsiders.

Message Edited by rkubie on 06-08-2009 11:58 AM
Inspired Correspondent
ponkle

Gabriel does appear cold and hateful but I have to wonder the reasons for this. Just as the mist provides a barrier, is his treatment of Meridia to keep from loving her because he doesn't want to love her mother anymore? Possibly this helps him feel apart from Ravenna.
Wordsmith
kiakar

ponkle wrote:
Gabriel does appear cold and hateful but I have to wonder the reasons for this. Just as the mist provides a barrier, is his treatment of Meridia to keep from loving her because he doesn't want to love her mother anymore? Possibly this helps him feel apart from Ravenna.

I know alot of people disagree but I do feel pity for a remarkable mean person. Something has made them react to life in this manner. And the most common answer by others is "he doesn't have to be ugly to others because he suffers inside from some hidden dark reasons. But I will always say for some, life is more difficult than it is for others. Some things do not effect some as it does others.  So if someone is letting the dark things overshadow them and it makes them a miserable person then I pity that person. If that person knew how, I believe he wouldn't want to be miserable, he would change. Sometimes it just takes time and wisdom to do it. I know there are still mountains of things to learn as of yet. It is especially cruel to tell a child she is ugly, useless and not worthy. It really affects that child all their life and it doesn't matter the reason for it. And maybe that is what happened to Gabriel. I do not think anyone is born bad or mean. The world makes us or begins us and then through many trials and tribulatons we change for the better or worse.

emmagrace
0 Kudos

My first impression of Gabriel is not a good one. He is very cold and hateful to his daughter and I can not sympathize wuth someone that is cruel to a child no matter their reasoning. Misery loves company and he is making his daughter miserable.

The mists show us of a betrayal made by Gabriel and of his unhappiness in his home and with his life.

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB

Gabriel seems to be cold, distant and angry. He lashes out at Meridia since he no longer speaks to Ravena. Additionally, I think his behavior is also a wacko form of protecting her. If they are truly cursed because of the townfolk's jealousy, he is not going to let them get to her - she will not repeat their mistake.

Gabriel is trapped by the mists. They are sucking the happinesss out of him. They allow him to rejuvinate and then start punishing him all over again.

CathyB

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Donna:

I agree, that quote was sooooo sad.

CathyB

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

booksJT, nice observation. I didn't think of him hiding the shame in the mists.

CathyB

PiperMurphy

I'm actually finding Gabriel interesting. This is where not being able to identify the time and place of the setting comes in. I'm visualizing the rigid, straight-laced, English lords of the Victorian era since he is described as wearing a long coat and a top hat. He is the master of his home. I think that he believes that there are certain proprieties that he must maintain, and that these govern how he treats Meridia. I think that there is some significance in the house being made of glass and steel. I don't have this totally figured out; I think it symbolizes several things, but one thing it might be is Gabriel's attitude and behavior - like the old saying about people who live in glass houses.
"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

rkubie wrote:

My first impressions of Gabriel was that he is a very bitter man who for some reason felt as though he was better or superior to everyone else in his life.  Initially, I could not understand why he was that way, because it appears that he has everything.  A wife and daughter, who he should be showing all of his love.  A home and what would appear to be a standing in the community.

I'm not sure if Gabriel truly hates Meridia, or if he has lost his ability to love completely.  I say this because I'm assuming that there was love in him when he and Ravenna married, but something definitely changed.  Probably the affair noted later in this section of the discussion.  Because of that, Gabriel no longer is capable of showing love, primarily, I would suspect, because of the guilt he is feeling.  None of this excuses he behavior.

To this point in the story, I can't say that I have any use for Gabriel.

Gabriel's relationship with the house, I am guessing here, was at one time one of fulfillment, but since the life got sucked out of it, it has become his mental prison.  He has no or little communication or contact with anyone in the house, and spends most of at home time in his study, where he closes off everyone and allows no one in.  

As for the mists, well I'm not sure if he has a relationship with the ivory mist, but the yellow mist transports him away unseen to his mistress.  The blue mist transports him back again unseen.  If he thinks that he's getting away with anything, he's got another thing coming, because the only one he's fooling is himself.

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if Gabriel doesn't treat Meridia the way he does because he is trying to protect his heart.  Afterall, he loved Ravenna so much, and something happened there, so maybe his his just afraid to let Meridia in.  He might even be protecting Meridia from something (what I'm not sure of yet).

I can't stand him, because of his treatment of his daughter (and wife), but I'm hoping we see a better side of him, at some point.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

For now, I will say that I do not like Gabriel at all.  There is no reason for him to treat Maridia the way that he does.  I was a little surprised when he said that he would not allow her to marry Daniel.  I would have thought that he would be glad to have her out of the house.  I do agree with an earlier post that maybe he is no longer capable of love.  When Maridia asked Ravenna why did her father hate her so, Ravenna said he did not hate Maridia, he hated her.  Still, no reason for him to treat his only child that way. 
"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"