Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

PiperMurphy,

I agree with you re: fireflies.  I thought they were a very special touch near the end of the book.

Love your thoughts about Hannah!!  Since Erick said in his posts that we can decide for ourselves about Hannah, I am going to choose your description.  I was never satisfied with the more obvious and kept looking for more to her.  This gives me some resolution with the novel's mystical references.  The others I was able to visualize or give some symbolic meaning (in my own mind), but not with Hannah until now.

Thanks!

Tcat

PiperMurphy wrote:

I think that the fireflies are Ravenna's spirit protecting Meridia. They first showed up when Ravenna disappeared and they left when Meridia no longer needed them.

I had another thought on Hannah. Erick suggested that the reason no one could see Hannah was because Meridia didn't want them to. Maybe it was because Meridia was insecure and vulnerable about who she was and was trying to become. She wasn't ready for people to see her true self, or she wasn't ready to deal with Eva's response. In the end they didn't need to see Hannah because they were seeing the complete Meridia.

Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36
0 Kudos

PinkPanther wrote:

Was Permony the "she" that Elias wanted to save? Could she have been saved?

Permony was the "she" that Elias was reffering to. He knew that Ahab was a bad person, but Eva made him believe otherwise with her bees. He knew that Eva resented Permony, but he did not want to suffer during the last days of his life. The weird language that he was talking while he was dying could have been a prayer to have the higher spirits watch over Permony. She could have been saved if it was not for Eva being the horrible person that she is. Permony went to her for help, and of course Eva rejected her. Eva also knew the things about Ahab were true, but she wanted Permony out of her life. She found it as a way to get rid of her. She had always wanted Permony to suffer for taking all the love from Elias. I even think that Eva knew Permony was going to die that night and thought nothing of it.

I think Ahab came into their lives briefly at Malin's wedding but Eva put Ahab into play after Elias had died so I don't think Elias was worried about him. I don't think Eva was necessarily trying to rid herself of Permony as much as she needed the money Ahab represented in order to make herself look better. She threw Permony to the wolf for money. Every person in Eva's life was just a means to an end. I don't think she cared about Elias' love -- they hadn't kissed even since before Daniel was born according to her...I think love was the furthest thing from Eva's mind.

Frequent Contributor
nfmgirl

I have always believed that Elias was referring to Eva when he said "Save her." I believe that underneath it all the love for her still existed. But more than that, through saving Eva so many things could have been saved: Permony's life, Meridia's marriage. So many things were destroyed or damaged by Eva and her bees.

I think that the fireflies were Ravenna's protection-- the protection that she rarely lended Meridia in life she surrounded her with in death.

I think Malin sort of saved herself, with the help of Jonathan. She was a strong woman who was never blinded by Eva and saw her as she really was, but she did have her vision blurred by all of the bees and her jealousy of Elias' love for Permony. For this reason, she thought ill of Permony in her younger years. But after getting away from Eva and her bees, she began to release her hatred for her sister.

I knew from the first moment that Ahab first appeared at Malin's wedding that he was a lecherous predator, and worried for sweet and delicate Permony. He finally showed his true face and was known for what he really was.

I've also always believed that Hannah is just another side to Meridia: a focused and driven and self-assure side. When she shows up, things go well for Meridia. She is never seen by anyone else, including in the mirror by Meridia herself. She says in the end that she will not leave again, because her heart could not stand leaving Meridia again. I think this is because Meridia cannot bear letting that side of herself go again.

I was disappointed in Daniel and allowing his mother's "bees" to figuratively blind him to the truth. It seems only fitting that he was later literally blinded BY the truth. You kept thinking, "Be a man! Stand up to your mother! Defend your wife!" The scales were finally removed from his eyes, Meridia, her compassion and the love he had for her finally won out over Eva and her bees, and he saw the damage he'd caused and the wastes that lay in his wake.

I was happy that Meridia responded with such compassion towards Eva in the end. She rose above it all and showed that she was a better person. In the end, she saved Eva, and thereby saved her own marriage, as so many things rested on the salvation of Eva all along.

Loved this book!

Heather
http://cerebralgirl.blogspot.com/
biljounc63
0 Kudos

TDid anyone catch the part in which no one was able to see Daniel but Noah?

It wasn't until Noah wanted others to see him that they did.

I noted that as well. I really don't know what power he had in being the one to acknowledge Daniel before he became visible to others. Unless I messed something it was not clear to me.

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean

rkubie wrote:

Toss up on this one-could be Permony or Eva. I think the posts others have stated about saving Eva from herself are where I'm leaning....

How would you describe Malin's character, now that we've gone through so many changes with her? What kind of mother will she be?

Malin will use all she has learned about herself and how a true family really is to make the best mother for Permony's child. 

With Permony, we witness a truly revolting scene with Ahab! Had you suspected something so terrifying about this character? Is this the only character who transforms into a monster?

Yes this man was a monster from day one............Eva was blatently a monster but this guy shadily gave you the creeps so you KNEW something was gonna happen with him at some point..........and of course the references to the acts before kind of stayed with you! Out of all the imagery this scene was the most vivid because you can actually PICTURE this guy as a monster and it's not necessarily a fairy tale kind of visual.....

Hannah returns! Do you feel you understand her character any better? Do you have a conclusion about her?

I truly cannot make a final determination of who Hannah is, her lover, her imaginary friend, her alter ego.........so many choices. And although I thought I needed a final answer in clarity during the story.........oddly enough I'm okay NOT knowing. I kind of think of her as different things when I think about Meridia in different ways.

Have you reached any conclusions about Daniel's character? Are you sympathetic to him?

Although I think Daniel was forever blinded by his mother's influence, I think he did truly love Meridia with all his heart. I think her waiting until they were completely free of her to consider starting again shows her maturity and realizing he loves her, although he is weak. We of course would love to have the strongest partner in all situations, but I'm the first to say I have weaknesses too.

Do you think Eva's fierce will or Meridia resilience has played a greater role in the events of the novel?

I think it was the perfect battle of the two that made the book what it is...........so that is an equal balance!

Why again see the Festival of the Spirits?'

Definitely coming full circle so to speak..........and the part about seeing the speakers and realizing how that came to be as far as the music luring folks in I took to be as the obvious period of growth Meridia went through and she is truly matured and will handle things much differently this time around.

What are Meridia's fireflies?

Ravenna!

Contributor
cornwall
0 Kudos

I couldn't put the book down at end end. I did not see Ahab's scene coming, but it didn't surprise me. That was a wrenching scene. I do feel the fireflies are Ravenna. I do think Hannah is a "safe" place, perhaps even a male who comes out when she needs to be especially strong.
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Shadowwolf36 wrote:

fordmg wrote:

Shadowwolf36 wrote:

Malin has become and extraordinary young women who is strong. She will be a fabulous mother now that she has seen clearly how it should NOT be done.

I am not in a hurry to declare Malin cleared.  Afterall, Permony lost everything, and Malin reaped the benefit.  In the end she took everything from Permony. 

MG

I don't see this at all. Malin didn't take her life or her baby because she was evil and wanted to. Eva and Ahab did this in each of their evil ways. She protected Permony's baby by not allowing Eva or Ahab access to the child, not because she wanted the baby all to herself (because she wanted to raise it with her husband) but because she didn't want Permony's child subjected to what Eva and Ahab represented. She may have been a day late and a dollar short to protect Permony but she had the ability to protect her child and she stepped up.

While it is true that Permony was a pawn to Eva and Ahab, Malin was not a pawn to anyone.  She breezed through life until she lost her baby.   Then used Permony's baby to make everything up.  Yes, she wanted her husband back, but she didn't seem to realize what her actions had done to destroy her marriage in the first place.  She ended up satisfied to go it alone, selfish to the end.

MG

PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

biljounc63 wrote:

TDid anyone catch the part in which no one was able to see Daniel but Noah?

I noted that as well. I really don't know what power he had in being the one to acknowledge Daniel before he became visible to others. Unless I messed something it was not clear to me.

I noticed this too. I remember thinking that he seemed pleased with himself for keeping Daniel hidden. Noah protected his mother and sided with her. I thought that he was enjoying having some power over his father and was punishing him for his parents breakup. It mirrors Meridia's situation with her parents except that Noah took action instead of becoming invisible.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

nfmgirl wrote:
I have always believed that Elias was referring to Eva when he said "Save her." I believe that underneath it all the love for her still existed. But more than that, through saving Eva so many things could have been saved: Permony's life, Meridia's marriage. So many things were destroyed or damaged by Eva and her bees.

Erick finally answered this question in his questions thread! Very interesting answer that he gave!

Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

fordmg wrote:

While it is true that Permony was a pawn to Eva and Ahab, Malin was not a pawn to anyone.  She breezed through life until she lost her baby.   Then used Permony's baby to make everything up.  Yes, she wanted her husband back, but she didn't seem to realize what her actions had done to destroy her marriage in the first place.  She ended up satisfied to go it alone, selfish to the end.

MG

That's actually the opposite of how I interpreted Malin's story arc. Sure, she was spoiled and bratty when she was younger though in the end we come to see it was more due to Eva's power than her being a mean spirited person to the core. Yet losing her baby broke the bond she had with Jonathan and they could never recover from the grief (which is very real and happens to many couples... the loss of a child is in many ways impossible to overcome).  From what little view we have of their home life Jonathan was just as much at fault as Malin (perhaps more so) since he never attempted to reach out and comfort her so Malin wandering the graveyard and continuing to mourn the loss of her child wasn't selfish it was the only way she knew how to make it through the day with no support at home.

After Malin lost her baby I never once saw her as a selfish person again (like she was as a child), she grew up and changed into a woman that was very unlike the child she once was. She tried to save Permony and while she decided to raise Permony's child you know she will make sure the child knows that Permony is the real mother, she's just filling in for her and doing the best she can. It's Permony's baby, not Malin's... and Malin knows that, but it does help to fill the void much like baby Eva did for Patina after she lost her child.

Ironic how the daughter so much like her mother ends up in a similar baby situation at the end of the novel as a woman completely opposite from her own mother, huh?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

I feel a bit lonely. No one agrees with my theory that it was Malin that Elias wanted rescued. Most of you seem to think that Malin was strong and didn't need saving. Yet I still believe that she was the only one that was left totally bereft, in the end, after the death of her child. (except of course for Eva who was a mere shadow of her former self, as the book draws to a conclusion).

Malin's cruelty, in her youth, was her reaction to the perceived weakness in other's behavior toward her mother. She had no weapons to fight her mom but the ones she used, selfish indifference and cruelty. As an adult, Malin brought Permony her moment of peace at the end of her life.

I didn't even consider Eva as someone who needed to be rescued since she was really the engineer of her own demise.

Meridia was strong and self-reliant when she had to be and always managed, in some way, to rescue herself.

Permony was happy until she discovered her huband's deviant behavior. Her child was the vehicle that enabled Malin to restore herself and begin living again. 

Saving the baby would not have been possible if Meridia had not gone along with the plan.

So in the end, I still think Meridia rescued Malin by participating in the pretense of the baby's death. Malin was the only one who went on to a new and different life in which she could be happy and she couldn't have done it alone. Who else did Meridia actually rescue, if not  Malin. Permony died. Eva died. Every other female passed on or out of life as transparencies.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my theory?

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

rkubie wrote:

How would you describe Malin's character, now that we've gone through so many changes with her? What kind of mother will she be?

With Permony, we witness a truly revolting scene with Ahab! Had you suspected something so terrifying about this character? Is this the only character who transforms into a monster?

Hannah returns! Do you feel you understand her character any better? Do you have a conclusion about her?

Have you reached any conclusions about Daniel's character? Are you sympathetic to him?

Do you think Eva's fierce will or Meridia resilience has played a greater role in the events of the novel?

Why again see the Festival of the Spirits?

Hi All,

I do believe the Permony was the one that Elias meant when he said "Save Her" on his death bed.  He said it to Meridia, the only problem was that Meridia couldn't have known that Permony was the one in danger.  At that point in the novel, he could have meant Eva or Malin  or for that matter all of them.  

Now for Malin and her character.  When we first met Malin, she was still younger and under the control or influence of her mother Eva.  I think that she wanted to be like her mother in a controlling manner, and took it upon herself to punish and mentally torture Permony every chance she got.  

As the story unfolded later, we found Malin confiding in Meridia in what I perceived as her attempt to get out from under the controlling atmosphere of her household and her mother.  Once she found the Meridia could stand up to Eva, Malin found a new respect for Meridia, therefore confided in her to help her.  

With the death of Permony, falling childbirth, Malin learned much more than I think she really wanted to learn.  It was kind of like a smack in the face to realize exactly what her mother had done and how Permony had been theoretically sold off to Ahab.  As a result of Permony's death, Malin took the child and becomes a wonderful and caring mother, who relies on Meridia for advance in how to raise the child.  Do I think she will be a good parent.  Oh Yes.  

I'm not sure what I expected to find with Ahab, but his changing into a monster was not one of the things I expected.  Yes, I did expect something terrible, but not that.  It was obvious that Ahab was going to be a controlling factor in Permony's life, which took the place of her mother's controlling nature.  When we read of the drugging every night of Permony by Ahab, and how she eventually found out, I found it to be appalling.  The other thing there was no excuse for was Eva's response to Permony when went to her for help.  The way Eva sent her back home only showed that she did not care.  What Eva did was to send Permony to her death.

I still believe that Hannah is Meridia's alter ego.  The one Meridia turns to when she needs comfort and direction.  As we read throughout the novel, when Hannah showed up, she was there to guide Meridia or keep her on track.  At the end of the story, Hannah arrives again, and I think it's to keep her safe.  

Daniel.  His character went almost full circle.  He initially showed us how he depended upon and was controlled by his mother, only Daniel had glimmers of finding a way out.  Meridia was the stronger of the two and I think that Daniel still was looking for a controlling factor, just now his mother.  The problem here was that he didn't know enough to tell his mother that it was Meridia he wanted, therefore he was easily swayed when his mother lied to him as to what was going on.  

He should have known from past experience, but somehow, he didn't want to her his mothers' feelings.  When he did start to grow on his own, his character showed signs of strengthening, only to be pulled back by his selfishness, when Meridia brought her mother into their house to care for her.  Once that happened, Eva again had complete control of Daniel, filling his head with falsehoods and catapulting Daniel into an affair.  

Only after Eva fell so ill and Meridia came to her rescue, and subsequently informed  Daniel of her condition, did he understand that Meridia had been there all the time.  Hopefully Daniel will continue to grow and find happiness back with Meridia and Noah. 

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Wouldn't it be great to know how Eva treats Daniel when he goes to her in the end?  Does she finally show gratitude that someone is caring for her in spite of how she led her life or does she just keep on buzzing to the grave??  Maybe that's how Meridia "saves" Eva, as per Elias' request - she sends Daniel to comfort and care for his mother through her dying days.
"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

I feel a bit lonely. No one agrees with my theory that it was Malin that Elias wanted rescued. Most of you seem to think that Malin was strong and didn't need saving. Yet I still believe that she was the only one that was left totally bereft, in the end, after the death of her child. (except of course for Eva who was a mere shadow of her former self, as the book draws to a conclusion).

Malin's cruelty, in her youth, was her reaction to the perceived weakness in other's behavior toward her mother. She had no weapons to fight her mom but the ones she used, selfish indifference and cruelty. As an adult, Malin brought Permony her moment of peace at the end of her life.

I didn't even consider Eva as someone who needed to be rescued since she was really the engineer of her own demise.

Meridia was strong and self-reliant when she had to be and always managed, in some way, to rescue herself.

Permony was happy until she discovered her huband's deviant behavior. Her child was the vehicle that enabled Malin to restore herself and begin living again. 

Saving the baby would not have been possible if Meridia had not gone along with the plan.

So in the end, I still think Meridia rescued Malin by participating in the pretense of the baby's death. Malin was the only one who went on to a new and different life in which she could be happy and she couldn't have done it alone. Who else did Meridia actually rescue, if not  Malin. Permony died. Eva died. Every other female passed on or out of life as transparencies.

Out of all the "hers" Elias would ask Meridia to save, I agree that the one in most need of saving then was Malin.

And just because she needed saving doesn't mean that she still wasn't a strong woman. She had to deal with losing a child, a husband who completely disappeared from her emotionally (and even physically as it says multiple times he wouldn't go near her), even the strongest person will stumble and need a helping hand to get up from that blow.

I never thought Elias meant Eva though part of me thought that Elias might have meant Meridia herself. Though I think saving Malin allowed Meridia to come around to saving herself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

I think that your theory is logical and another possibility. I, too, thought that Elias was referring to Permony or Eva. He didn't specify who or how. He also didn't specify what "save" meant. Meridia rescued Malin, but it was Malin who saved Permony. Maybe not her life, but her soul. I think that Permony was happy and free in the end.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
emmagrace
0 Kudos

MissShopaholic wrote:

Did anyone catch the part in which no one was able to see Daniel but Noah?

I totally did not catch that! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
Wordsmith
Deltadawn

I had thought that Permony was the one that Elias wanted to save but after reading some of the posts, I'm not so sure. Maybe it could have been Malin, after all, as was mentioned.

Malin has evolved into a strong, deeply caring woman. I believe she will be a wonderful mother.

I think there was plenty of foreshadowing to suspect that Ahab was a truly revolting character - but who could have foreseen the full scope of that horror!

Disappointed in Daniel's weaknesses - disappointed that he was swayed by his mother and had an affair. yes, I am sympathic to him in spite of this. he seems to recognize his weakness and feel complete despair over what he has done.

I believe that Meridia's resilience plays the greatest role in the events of the novel. She is definitely a force to be reckoned with! She can and does take care of her own. And she had mercy on Eva at the end, as well as for Daniel (along with her love & forgiveness of him.) her resilience, I believe, would not have evolved if she had not had to deal with Eva and her fierce will and determination to destroy her....

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

yes - when I read that scene in the book i believed he was referring to Permony - but you make a strong point that he probably wanted Meridia to save Malin.  :smileyhappy:

I'm still not 100% sure but I definitely see your point!

thewanderingjew wrote:

Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN

1) Elias had tried for many years to save Eva -- but the bees were too much for him.

He probably had tried to save his children from the clutches fo Eva --- and knowing how much Eva disliked Permony he knew that Eva would treat her poorly in comparision to her other children.  Elias was pleading for Meridia to save Perimony as he was dying and was unable to stand up to Eva and save Perimony from Eva's wrath.

2) Malin will be a terrific mother -- she has seen how horrible Eva treated others and after losing a child herself -- Malin will do everything not to feel pain or cause pain to others

3)  Perimony and Ahab her put together by Eva --- the evil matchmaker -- Eva has not done anything nice to Perimony for her whole life -- why would anyone think that all of sudden Eva would do something nice and good for Perimony.... I thought there were so many red flags that someone should have caught onto Eva's evil plan

4) I still think that Hannah is Meridia's imaginary friend --- one that appears when Meridia needs her the most

5) Daniel is really a pathetic "man" and use the word "man" loosely.  However, I do feel sorry for Daniel as he is a product of his environment and his upbringing by Eva.  He never learned how to be a man since Eva did not every allow Elias to be a man.  No wonder Daniel turned out the way he did.

6) Meridia's character has evolved so much and her resilence shaped the novel and the characters -- if she had remained the naive clueless girl the story would have turned out so much differently.  Meridia rose up to fight evil -- otherwise evil would have enveloped everyone else

7) The reappearance of the Festival of Spirits connects the beginning and ending of the book -- it shows how life goes on even though other things have happened.

8) Hmmm Meridia's fireflies I believe would be Ravenna.  Ravenna wears the verbena which keep the bees away.  Firefly larvae are predators to other insects (perhaps bees), snails and worms.  The adult fireflies will suck plant nectar (a vital food source for bees) to lengthen their lives.  By taking the food away from bees -- it will keep the bees away from that particular area since their food source is gone... much like Ravenna's verbenna essences keeping the bees away.

rkubie wrote:

Why again see the Festival of the Spirits?

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

That scene was horrific!  It makes me shudder just thinking about it.   

I would argue that Eva also turns into a monster, spending so much of her life and energy trying to ruin Meridia, her business, and her relationship with Daniel. 

I think Hannah is real.  I think she could be a spirit, but that doesn’t make her not real.  Few, if any, people can use the full power of their minds to experience everything around them.  I think Meridia can experience Hannah and benefit from her relationship with Hannah.  I a content to leave this aspect be a bit mysterious. 

I am sympathetic to Daniel.  He has been so heavily influenced, actually brainwashed, by his mother, he has not been allowed to be his true self.  Thank goodness Meridia is giving him another chance.  Neither of them deserved a “bad” ending. 

Meridia’s resilience played a greater role.  I say that because she ultimately won. 

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.