Reply
Moderator
Rachel-K
Posts: 1,495
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Later Chapters and Whole Novel

Was Permony the "she" that Elias wanted to save? Could she have been saved?


How would you describe Malin's character, now that we've gone through so many changes with her? What kind of mother will she be?

 

With Permony, we witness a truly revolting scene with Ahab! Had you suspected something so terrifying about this character? Is this the only character who transforms into a monster?

 

Hannah returns! Do you feel you understand her character any better? Do you have a conclusion about her?

 

Have you reached any conclusions about Daniel's character? Are you sympathetic to him?

 

Do you think Eva's fierce will or Meridia resilience has played a greater role in the events of the novel?

 

Why again see the Festival of the Spirits?

 

What are Meridia's fireflies?



 

Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36
Posts: 76
Registered: ‎09-16-2008

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

I still think Eva was who Elias wanted saved. Meridia tried to save Permony. She talked to Daniel and to Permony but to no avail. Permony felt she WAS being saved by marrying Ahab so no amount of "saving" by Meridia would work. Meridia did save Eva in the end to some extent.

 

Malin has become and extraordinary young women who is strong. She will be a fabulous mother now that she has seen clearly how it should NOT be done.

 

I am afraid that I must be dense because I still believe that Hannah is nothing more than a figment of Meridia's imagination. No one sees her but there is luggage to be seen. The only thing I can figure is that she is at that "transparent" state that we saw earlier with Patina and Pilar but who knows.

 

I wish that Daniel has been stronger. I was truly disappointed that he had the affair and that his mother kept her claws in him so long. I am glad he finally saw the light but look at how many lives had to be destroyed in the meantime. Had he been thinking clearly, Permony might have been saved. Noah might have been saved the destruction of his family etc.

Correspondent
MissShopaholic
Posts: 73
Registered: ‎01-22-2009

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

I do believe that Permony was the one Elias wanted Meridia to save. 

Could she have been saved?  I believe if Eva would have allowed her to stay with her and comforted her instead off adding more stress to her then yes, she would have been saved. Perhaps though maybe that is just me creating an alternate scene. 

 

I didn't expect Ahab to be that much of a monster and I was disturbed at the mental picture I envisioned. Yet I believe that was the best way to describe what an animal he really was. I do think to a certain extent that Eva had turned into a monster at one point, Ravenna into a ghost.

 

EVA had her (metaphorically speaking) bees.  Bees are somewhat vicious yet it was what she had to use to get her way.  So in the same sense, Meridia (whether she realized it or not) had her fireflies for protection (like a shield).

 

Mailin's character has changed greatly from the beginning until now.  I think it was because of the guy in her life (forgot name). With him they lived in a clearer more loving world (at the start of their relationship.  Through reflection she came to realize how Eva manipulated her. She seems to be a more caring person now. I believe she will be an excellent caregiver.  I admire how she stood up to Eva towards the end in her dead sister's defense.  This is a classic example of Karma.

 

I can't exactly explain Hanna. I mentioned before that maybe she is seen by those whom she wants to see her. (thinking city of angels here) is she a ghost or an angel?  THere was also a time when Daniel was somewhat invisible but visible to Noah.  I'm thinking these two happenings are somewhat related in a sense.

 

Daniel- I am very disappointed in him. Like I've mentioned before, he was such a mamma's boy who was unable to confront the issues rationally.  For example, I could tell he loved his mother that even with Meridia's intuition, warnings, and suspicion he overlooked them and shrugged her off. This allowed his mother to have the upper hand/ the power. I am proud of Meridia for the decisions she made.

 

I am glad that Meridia ended up being the  better person at the end of the story.  It was her compassion and good nature to compel her to stand up and improve conditions for Eva's care despite the war of deception and manipulation of the past several years. I don't think i would have been able to feel right about her decision if it had been any other way (eventhough i know it's just a book)

 

I hope i have explained this well enough for you to understand my thoughts... i'm not very good with writing expressively.

Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

There is so much to discuss as the book ends! So much sadness, some joy, and I think a couple of mysteries left to explore.

 

First, I think that the fireflies are Ravenna. It was sad to read about her death, but her sacrifice lead to Meridia's safety. Ravenna really loved her daughter, loved her enough to understand that Gabriel's death was not Meridia's fault, loved her enough to want to save her from the same type of life by sacrificing her own. The fireflies protected Meridia from simply going back to the status quo. The fireflies bombarded Daniel, making him see that he loved Meridia and Noah and that no one should be able to stand in the way. I really enjoyed the contrast between the truth brought on by the "stings" of the fireflies and the horror brought on by the "stings" of the bees.

 

Malin is the character I think made the biggest changes in the book. At first, I thought she was a spoiled "give me what I want" girl. Now, I see that while she used her mother's attention to get what she wanted, inside there was a wonderful woman ready to take charge and move on. I was sorry to see her marriage die, but happy that she took Permony's son to raise. She will be a fabulous mother.

 

Permony's death was a shock! I liked her character. Her marriage to Ahab was doomed from the start. I think everyone knew that his reputation was horrible, but to see that pig in all his desecration, killed her. He truly was a monster.

 

I don't think anyone deserves to end their life the way Eva was headed, not even someone as monsterous as Eva. Thankfully, Meridia had compassion and created that way for a humane ending to her life.

 

Now, to Hannah. At first, I thought Meridia and Hannah were lovers at the end. That still may be, but I also wonder if Meridia is both characters. No one saw Hannah when the suitcase was being moved down the street, and I think it is possible that Meridia has another personality that is male. This personality would only come out when absolutely needed, and would present as a strong female because of the culture. I wonder if this is because of her lack of a real relationship with Gabriel, and I will be interested to hear what others think.

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Linda10
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎10-02-2007

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

Shadowwolf, wow, I think you might be right!  Elias might have really wanted Eva to be saved, not Permony, even though we knew he was so fond of Permony.  I never thought of it in that way.  Good point!  But poor Permony ends up going from the frying pan into the fire with her marriage, just like Meridia did when she married Daniel and moved into his home.  Could Meridia have saved Permony from her awful marriage to Ahab?  I don't think so.  When it comes to matters of the heart, women (as well as men) will listen with their emotions instead of their reason.  I wish I could quote the page right now; but there was a point in the conversation she has with Meridia where we get the impression that she does realize that her marriage will be a disaster but is going to go ahead with it anyway.  And who can blame her?  She's never been loved in her own home while growing up; and along comes this wonderful man who practically worships her.  I understand Permony totally.  I'm just so sorry it was such an awful ending for her.

 

I, too, love how Malin stands up to Eva in the funeral home.  That was such a great scene!  I do have a quote from that scene that I wrote down.  "Malin's smile was an unbroken taunt, a steel wall constructed from a lifetime of resentments."  Wow!  This is just another example of how well Mr. Setiawan writes!  How descriptive!  How perfect!  Well, Eva had it coming!

 

Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
Posts: 168
Registered: ‎03-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel


Shadowwolf36 wrote:

I still think Eva was who Elias wanted saved. Meridia tried to save Permony. She talked to Daniel and to Permony but to no avail. Permony felt she WAS being saved by marrying Ahab so no amount of "saving" by Meridia would work. Meridia did save Eva in the end to some extent.

 


It was Eva who arranged for Permony to be with Ahab though. So if she had been saved from Eva, she may not have ended up with that monster & ultimately lost her life.

Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36
Posts: 76
Registered: ‎09-16-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel


JerseyAngel wrote:

Shadowwolf36 wrote:

I still think Eva was who Elias wanted saved. Meridia tried to save Permony. She talked to Daniel and to Permony but to no avail. Permony felt she WAS being saved by marrying Ahab so no amount of "saving" by Meridia would work. Meridia did save Eva in the end to some extent.

 


It was Eva who arranged for Permony to be with Ahab though. So if she had been saved from Eva, she may not have ended up with that monster & ultimately lost her life.


This is true but time and again, Elias saw that no one could truly be saved from Eva unless they died. He saw the pain inflicted on Patina (the woman who raised her), himself, Permony and nothing was done or could be done to save them. He certainly did nothing to truly save those he loved.

Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

I do see your point about Gabriel wanting Eva to be saved. He knew how people saw her and I think he knew that she would turn everyone away from her. Eva was really helpless without someone to control. In the end, Meridia did save her from the hands of her maid. No one else was paying any attention.


Shadowwolf36 wrote:

I still think Eva was who Elias wanted saved. Meridia tried to save Permony. She talked to Daniel and to Permony but to no avail. Permony felt she WAS being saved by marrying Ahab so no amount of "saving" by Meridia would work. Meridia did save Eva in the end to some extent.



 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
chris227
Posts: 111
Registered: ‎12-02-2008

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

[ Edited ]

Permony was definitely the she that Elias wanted to save and yes I think she could have been saved if the marriage to Ahab had been prevented as Meridia had wanted.

 

Malin changed a great deal from the beginning of the novel.  She realized that Eva used she and Permony against one another and wished she had realized Eva's evil ways before.  She was greatly affected by the loss of her child and is no longer selfish.  I think that she will be a wonderful, if extremely overprotective, mother to Permony's son, to make up for the fact that she lost her own son. 

 

I definitely suspected something with Ahab - he was always described as lurking and hulking and large.  Something wasn't right.  And then there was the gossip Meridia heard that turned out to be true.  I didn't think that he really would have been so vile and disgusting to rape litlle girls.  (And the fact that Eva knew!  Poor Permony!)  I think many, if not most, characters in the book were monsters in their own right.  Gabriel was monsterous toward Meridia. Malin was a monster when she was a child, and Eva was definitely a monster. 

 

I am still completely confused about Hannah!  Again she appears when Meridia is at a low point and needs comfort and friendship.  Does Noah see her?  Is she an imaginary friend?  The way she was descirbed in this last section though she was described almost more of a lover than a friend - but perhaps I am reading too much into the words -but then that is what Meridia missed most in her life at that point, Daniel's love. 

 

I am very ambivalent about Daniel.  He is definitely weak because he is swayed so easily by his mother (but then it seems men are, but women can see the real Eva, and I guess her constant picking isn't exactly easy).  I am glad he finally tells Eva she is no longer welcome in his house and I feel somewhat sorry for him, but there is a lot that he did wrong as well.  I agree Ravenna wounded his pride but that is not as bad as trying to kill him as Eva tried to do to Meridia, so I think his reaction towards Ravenna's moving in was totally uncalled for.  Also the cheating was totally unforgiveable, but again Eva played her part in that.  I am hoping that when Eva is finally completely out of the picture Meridia and Damiel can be together and happy. 

 

I think Meridia's resilience played the greater role.  Had she not been so strong she would have either simply submitted to Eva's punishing nature, never returned to Daniel, or died in childbirth.  She fought for her family and stood her ground against Eva, something no one else would do (except Malin in the end).

 

Meridia's fireflies are Ravenna's spirit staying with Meridia and giving her courage and protection.

 


 

Message Edited by chris227 on 06-22-2009 09:30 AM
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

Meridia stated on page 368 "Now at last she knew his meaning. All these years she had been too slow and stupid to understand it." She was talking about when Elias said save her, I had thought before that he was referring to Eva but I was wrong he meant Permony. The only way Permony could have been saved is if she were removed from the house with Eva after Malin got married then maybe the bees wouldn't have affected her mind and she would have seen Ahab for what he really was and perhaps chosen better in the spouse department, but really the only person responsible for Permony's death is Eva.

 

In regard to Malin, I think she will be a loving if not overprotective mother.

 

I was suspicious of Ahab especially when we learn that Eva is pushing the courtship because we have learned from the whole novel never to trust Eva. I am surprised however by the intensity of his abhorrent behavior. He is not the only character who is a monster, his mother-in-law is the biggest monster of them all because she did not protect her daughter from him.

 

I have not been able to define Hannah's character, try as I might I want her to be real but since the only person who seems to see her is Meridia I just don't know, but then again I think if she's not real why and who's suitcases are Meridia lugging home.

 

I am very sympathetic toward Daniel, and I know I'm going to upset some people out there. But he was just blind to the fact that his mother was an evil witch, I think his biggest failure was that he was a dutiful son who believed his mother's lies over the truth. And I think that he suffered as much as any of the children because of her treachery and he was allowed redemption at the end because of Meridia's love and her selflessness. 

 

I think both women made their marks equally in the novel, however where Eva leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth it's Meridia's heart and love that saves everyone from her in the end, I saw it as the ultimate goodness versus evil.

 

The festival of the Spirits is where Hannah comes back into Meridia's life so what better than a mystical place to bring back a mystical character.

 

Meridia's fireflies were her strength and her distraction during her divorce and her loss of Ravenna and Permony. They gave her the creativity she needed for her business and the distraction she needed when she felt lonely and alone and they left when she didn't need them any more. They were to her what the mists were to Ravenna.

 

Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

I think it was Permony whom Elias wanted saved for a couple of reasons. One, he knew only too well Eva's nature and how do you save someone from themselves, when they don't think they are wrong or need saving?? And two, remember his reaction to Ahab at Malin's wedding, where we first see him? He did not like the man and I think he knew then what Ahab was and what he wanted and that he would hurt his daughter or wind up killing her. He was so very close to Permony, that I can see that as his last wish, especially when he feared it was to come.

 

Malin did change a lot and in probably the ways that someone being abused and used all the time would, if they do not become the same way. She had to really learn about Eva and how she was used by her as a kid to get at Permony. She had to learn how Eva used her as a pawn too in her marrying who she did, even tho she loved Jonathan. She saw what was happening to those around her and learned. And with the death of her baby and inability to conceive more, she really had to go through the grief herself, alone at the cemetary, feeling lost and I think a bit useless because of it all. She went through most of this growing alone. Meridia, if you think about it, wasn't there that much for her and she wouldn't let Permony in, in her grieving. Malin grew on her own and as a result came to realise what she really wanted out of life and who she really wanted to be and not be. Then she was someone you really wanted around you and she became someone whom others could care about too.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

Actually, I thought the fireflies were Noah's. You did not see them around Meridia before, they did not save her or those she loved before. But to me, fireflies would represent the "light" in Noah, the hope and were his magic. He is of the next generation and maybe a better one.

 

I love fireflies, and they have just starting showing here at night this week.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,827
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel


vivico1 wrote:

Actually, I thought the fireflies were Noah's. You did not see them around Meridia before, they did not save her or those she loved before. But to me, fireflies would represent the "light" in Noah, the hope and were his magic. He is of the next generation and maybe a better one.

 

I love fireflies, and they have just starting showing here at night this week.


Interesting, I didn't think of them as Noah's but I can see that. And they arrived here last week for me. I love them too.

 

Inspired Contributor
Linda10
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎10-02-2007

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel


dhaupt wrote:

 

I am very sympathetic toward Daniel, and I know I'm going to upset some people out there. But he was just blind to the fact that his mother was an evil witch.

 


Dhaupt, I think you're right about that.  I think when Daniel became blind from the bees, it was not only literally blind but symbolically blind as well.  Remember how the townspeople saw him flailing his arms at something, but never actually saw any bees themselves?

 

Once Daniel is "cured" through Meridia's help, i.e., the necklace, the bees disappear and he is no longer blind.  It is then that he realizes how wrong he has been and just how much he loves Meridia and always has.

 

Frequent Contributor
booksJT
Posts: 108
Registered: ‎11-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

Elias wanted to save Eva not his daughter . Meridia thought she could save Permony by talking to Daniel  but it didn't work. Permony felt that if she married Ahab she could save herself from being like her mother. Permony didn't realize until it was too late that she was doomed for a loveless marriage. It was hard to help Permony because she refused to listen to anything bad about Ahab.

 

Meridia has become a remarkable women and a good mother. Now that she can see her inlaws for what they are she flourish as a mother.

 

I didn't suspect this Ahab character to be such a monster.  We see Elias turn into monster after Eva's bees attacks him. He becomes unstoppable when he tries to go see his grandson Noah. In one scene Elias becomes outraged by his grandson, "Shut up you monkey!" on page 228. Following this incident Noah falls and hurts himself an earlier part of the novel he goes on a rampage to the neighbor's house to shut up the dog.

 

I think Hannah is still a figment of Meridia's imagination. She is the only who can see and hear her. She only appears when Meridia needs  consoling  or some advice.

 

I think Daniel was a mamma's boy through out the novel. When he needed to be strong he was influenced by his mother's (bee's) nagging. He just couldn't get from under her thumb until it was too late. She had to die before he was released from her hold on him. I am not sympathetic to his character he got what he deserved.

 

I think that Meridia's resilience has played an important role in the novel. If not for Meridia Eva would not have received the care she needed in the end. Meridia was the better person, she pushed aside her feelings to help her mother inlaw.(Eva)

 

The  festival and spirits are seen again because that is where she first met Daniel. She was trying to remember how it was before they got married.

 

Meridia's fireflies are the spirits of Ravenna. Ravenna gave her the fireflies to protect her and keep her strong.

Inspired Contributor
BDonnelly
Posts: 47
Registered: ‎04-22-2008

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

I also think it was Eva that Elias referred to on his death bed.  I think he realized that Meridia was the strong one in the extended family- the only one who showed any ability to stand up to Eva and Eva really needed to be saved from herself.  Clearly he showed alot of love for her just by staying with her when she was so difficult.

And, in the end, Meridia does save Eva because she allows Daniel to be there for his mother as she is dying rather than using her own power against Eva.

 

I think Malin will be a great mother because she learns so much of what not to be.

 

Ahab was not a suprise that he turned out to be a bad guy but what a bad guy!  He was a true monster.  I think Eva was a monster as well just not a monster in the physical sense.

 

I still don't understand Hannah but my take on her would be that she is an aspect of Meridia.  Thus, we don't actually see her but Meridia feels her at necessary points.  Hannah is the part of Meridia that is smart, fun, and successful.  I think that's also true of the fireflies.  I believe the fireflies are the part of Meridia she gets in touch with to protect herself

just like Eva's bees are the part of Eva that attacks.   

 

I do feel sympathy for Daniel - I believe he loved Meridia but was not strong enough to overcome his mother.  He is a little disappointing in not being strong enough but I don't know how well i'd hold up against a wall of bees 24/7.

 

Finally I think Meridia's resilience wins out as we see her quiet triumph in the end but I think Eva's fierceness play a greater role in creating the events of the book.

 

I loved this book and will reread it in the future because I know there are so many treasures I missed on a first read.  Thank you Erick!

Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

I still have no real conclusion about Hannah yet. It seems the author has something specific about her, as he talked about her a lot in posts. I still see her as an imaginary friend Meridia needs and loves and feels loved by, because she created her. If not, then maybe as one who became translucent and came back at certain times to help her. One who loved her. For me, this is also why sometimes at the end, maybe someone thought they saw someone in the house too that started the talk about who might be there. These "spirits" are seen by more than just one person at times, just as the mists are, just as Eva's bees are. What I am really hoping tho, is that she does not turn out to be someone real who will be used as, shalll we say, a political statement, in the middle of a fairytale. Do they make political statements? Yes, sometimes so, but they tend to make more stories of morals and that is different. I guess I am waiting to see what the author does finally tell us about her.

 

The festival of spirits rolling around again, to me, is a way of bringing things around again. That is where Meridia's life really started, and this would be a place to wrap up the story too. And maybe, if I am not wrong here, isn't the festival right after Meridia first meets Hannah, before Daniel and now after all this mess, Hannah comes back, its just before what the last lines may lead us to believe, that Meridia is going to take Daniel back again? Is Hannah tied to the festival of spirits in some way.

 

Could Hannah be more tied to Daniel than to Meridia in some way? Didn't Eva lose one baby? Or could this be Eva's mother? Maybe that is also why he is the only person you read about Meridia actually hiding Hannah from, or Hannah herself hiding from, is because she is from Daniel's side and trying to help these two be togetherm, and he might know her. All of this is conjecture, just some food for thought, but I will stick with the idea anyway that she is not a real life person that we don't see for "other" reasons.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
Posts: 143
Registered: ‎03-16-2009

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel


rkubie wrote:

Was Permony the "she" that Elias wanted to save? Could she have been saved?


How would you describe Malin's character, now that we've gone through so many changes with her? What kind of mother will she be?

 

With Permony, we witness a truly revolting scene with Ahab! Had you suspected something so terrifying about this character? Is this the only character who transforms into a monster?

 

Hannah returns! Do you feel you understand her character any better? Do you have a conclusion about her?

 

Have you reached any conclusions about Daniel's character? Are you sympathetic to him?

 

Do you think Eva's fierce will or Meridia resilience has played a greater role in the events of the novel?

 

Why again see the Festival of the Spirits?

 

What are Meridia's fireflies?



 


Where to start first?  

 

We see the Festival of the Spirits so Hannah can come back and relieve some of Meridia's loneiness and depression.  She always seems to come when Meridia needs her most. And when she comes back each time, she looks age appropriate to Meridia. I don't think she's "real", but there may be a lot in this book that isn't real. :smileywink: 

 

I think Meridia's fireflies are Ravenna's way of leaving her presence and protection for her.

 

Daniel woke up too late, but I am happy about the ending. I did feel sorry for him. He truly seemed repentant for what happened. My opinion is that Meridia didn't want to make the same mistake her parents did by "closing shop".  She still wants to give it a shot because of her love for him.

 

Ahab!  :smileymad:  I thought he was too go to be true.  At worst, I thought he would be charming at first and then treat Permony horribly then run off with their money. I didn't think he had any money of his own.  But the monster he was....shocked me.  

 

Malin's character was a good surprise.  I thought she would be just like her mother. The loss of her baby was devastating and along with maturity probably had a lot to do with her "transformation".  I think she will be a very good mother in spite of what her mother was. 

 

Meridia was Ravenna's daughter whether she liked it or not. (Ravenna's teflon exterior) That is what saved her from succombing to Eva's torment.  

 

At first thought, it would seem Elias meant save Permony--it's the most obvious choice.  But MAYBE he meant save Eva from herself. 

Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy
Posts: 174
Registered: ‎09-19-2008

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

I originally thought that Elias wanted to save Eva, but neither Eva nor Permony were saved. I wanted Eva to realize the person that she had become in time to change herself. She eventually did understand the cost of her actions, but it was too late. I think that Elias himself saved Permony. That was the astonishing discovery that the midwife made. Ahab turned out to be exactly the person that I thought he would be. His name was great foreshadowing of his true nature. Even though I knew he was evil, I never envisioned anything as repulsive and horrifying as what he did to Permony.

 

I think that we are all going to have a different take on Hannah, and we will all be right. It took me until the last page to come to a conclusion about who I think she is. Her name being a palindrome suggests that she is a mirror image. I think that she is the part of Meridia that completes her so that she becomes her true self. Hannah showed up whenever Meridia was in transition, first at school when she discovered she wasn't invisible, again when she was trying to build her business, and then at the end when she wanted to rebuild her marriage. I think that she was the person that Meridia was trying to become all through the book, and when she finally became that person Hannah stayed because Meridia was complete.

 

I think that the fireflies are Ravenna's spirit protecting Meridia. They first showed up when Ravenna disappeared and they left when Meridia no longer needed them.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Inspired Contributor
pode
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎01-30-2009

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

I kind of figured Erick might have trouble ending this grand tale. 

 

It was difficult for me to be sympathetic to Daniel after all the weaknesses he'd shown off and on throughout the story.  BUT.......I think Meridia could have done more mindful of herself as wife as well as daughter and mother.  With that thought, I think it's okay that Meridia and Daniel get back together at the end.  Somehow the end still didn't quite satify me.  Or maybe the message is that being together is always going to be a compromise in the end--love, strengthes, weaknesses....

 

I have a favorite passage. Page 295, Meridia had won an argument with Daniel by threatening to leave and take Noah with her.  "For the moment she had won, but every victory, as she well knew, came at a price that no one could predict."

 

Thanks, Erick, for the book.  What an interestingly told classic story of love, hate, passion, strength, weakness, evil and good!!

 

Pode

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"
â Henry Ward Beecher