Frequent Contributor
LoBugs

Re: Making Ends Meet on Willow Street

They all benefit from the arrangement on Willow Street even Eva. Eva still gets the one thing she has to have, control/power over others. Meridia and Daniel get a roof over their head without living with Eva. Gabriel and Ravenna get to stop in and check up on the young couple to be sure that Eva lives up to the agreement they set up. Elias gets to visit with his daughters, without Eva being there.

Thier Trapped because Eva is still finding ways to control Daniel and Meridia's financial situation. Eva also keeps such a close eye on them that they are finding it hard to get financialy ahead so that they can make it on their own. Eva is the ultimate cuniving bitch.

Eva has this power because nobody has the financial or emotional independance to stand up to her. Eva has either an emotional or financial hold on everyone.

Lobugs
Frequent Contributor
GnANorman

[ Edited ]

CathyB wrote:

Elias, Samuel, Gabriel and Ravena are the benefactors.

Elias bestows gifts of food and clothing and comes with love in his heart.

Samuel goes into partnership with them and they all profit from the sale of the jewelry.

Gabriel has secretly been giving them money to help them make ends meet.

Ravena brings food and love. She puts the house in order.

I do not consider Eva a benefactor just because she is married to Elias. She is a detractor in every sens of the word.

Unfortunately they are trapped there because they do not own the house nor do they own the shop. Eva sucks them dry so that they are unable to save enough money to strike out on their own. Just when they think they are making headway, she takes more from them.

Totally agree with this.  I think, however, that Meridia is a benefactor in her own right.  She searches out ways to make themselves a success.  She convinces Daniel to keep secrets from his mother for the protection of their own family.  She enlists the help of Samuel who provides the quality jewelry they need to keep their business growing.
Message Edited by GnANorman on 06-18-2009 08:51 AM
Scribe
vivico1

You know, Samuel is in interesting character. To me, he just shows up, becomes a benefactor to them, willing to back whatever they want to do, takes their gold bars and things go on. Elias does know him and to help the kids, even tho he is hurt, tells Eva he owes Samuel so told him to sell his stuff to Daniel for his store, that it is not up to par for his.

This was odd to me that Eva believed that as controlling as she is, I can't believe she doesn't know the good stuff from the bad. She sure keeps an eye on recorded transactions and wouldn't she know if Samuel's stuff is selling so well and try to get it out of there and into their store? Also, as controlling as she is, why does she not know ALL of Elias's business acquaintances, or at least then want to know EVERYTHING about Samuel and what this whole favor thing is about? She has eyes everywhere! This part kind of seemed out of character for her.

Back to the Samuel thing, I have to say, since about everyone in the story so far has a hidden agenda, I am sure hoping he is not going to rip off Daniel and Meridia, or is not in cahoots with Eva since she isn't questioning him there. hmmm

GnANorman wrote:

CathyB wrote:

Samuel goes into partnership with them and they all profit from the sale of the jewelry.

I do not consider Eva a benefactor just because she is married to Elias. She is a detractor in every sens of the word.

Unfortunately they are trapped there because they do not own the house nor do they own the shop. Eva sucks them dry so that they are unable to save enough money to strike out on their own. Just when they think they are making headway, she takes more from them.

Totally agree with this. I think, however, that Meridia is a benefactor in her own right. She searches out ways to make themselves a success. She convinces Daniel to keep secrets from his mother for the protection of their own family. She enlists the help of Samuel who provides the quality jewelry they need to keep their business growing.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

You know, Samuel is in interesting character. To me, he just shows up, becomes a benefactor to them, willing to back whatever they want to do, takes their gold bars and things go on. Elias does know him and to help the kids, even tho he is hurt, tells Eva he owes Samuel so told him to sell his stuff to Daniel for his store, that it is not up to par for his.

This was odd to me that Eva believed that as controlling as she is, I can't believe she doesn't know the good stuff from the bad. She sure keeps an eye on recorded transactions and wouldn't she know if Samuel's stuff is selling so well and try to get it out of there and into their store? Also, as controlling as she is, why does she not know ALL of Elias's business acquaintances, or at least then want to know EVERYTHING about Samuel and what this whole favor thing is about? She has eyes everywhere! This part kind of seemed out of character for her.

Back to the Samuel thing, I have to say, since about everyone in the story so far has a hidden agenda, I am sure hoping he is not going to rip off Daniel and Meridia, or is not in cahoots with Eva since she isn't questioning him there. hmmm

GnANorman wrote:

CathyB wrote:

Totally agree with this. I think, however, that Meridia is a benefactor in her own right. She searches out ways to make themselves a success. She convinces Daniel to keep secrets from his mother for the protection of their own family. She enlists the help of Samuel who provides the quality jewelry they need to keep their business growing.

Yes, Viv, like you I liked Samuel also.  He really seemed geniune, it seemed he was written to be a mature character with having alot of respect for himself and others. I might get fooled but hope not. With a villian like Eva, you got to have a few saviors through out the story. Hannah is one and hopefully Sam can be the other and he is a real person I think!

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

That's just it tho Kiakar. He is an interesting character but at this point, I don't know if I like him because I don't know if I can trust him yet. Guess we will have to let it play out and see huh. :smileywink:

lol, I like where you said, he is a real character, I think! hehe. You are so right. I am rooting for Hannah to be a imaginary friend or a ghost of some kind. She only appears when Meridia seems to need her and no one can see her but Meridia. As far as Meridia keeping her away from others, well considering Eva keeps trying to say she is crazy like her mother and sees things that aren't there. I wouldn't want to let people in on my imaginary friend then either! Nor let them tease me or put her down, if I have made her into something special. If she turns out to be real, and now we are going the other way, where instead of trying to decide if fantasy things are real, now it would be an allegory of who the real people are that we don't see, I am going to hate it. I saw some discussion on here about maybe she is real. Otherwise, I am ready to go back to the 60s and do some drugs to read this book and it won't matter what is real and what isn't, it will all just be one jumbled "groovy trip mannnn", hehe. Kidding, no drugs people!! :smileywink:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

GnANorman wrote:

CathyB wrote:

Yes, Viv, like you I liked Samuel also. He really seemed geniune, it seemed he was written to be a mature character with having alot of respect for himself and others. I might get fooled but hope not. With a villian like Eva, you got to have a few saviors through out the story. Hannah is one and hopefully Sam can be the other and he is a real person I think!

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

PiperMurphy wrote:
Did anyone else wonder when Eva left the jar of lotion, and told Meridia to use it, if it was more than just lotion? It could have been just plain lotion and Meridia could have not used it out of stubborness, but Eva does nothing without an ulterior motive. Eva puts a lot of time and effort into trying to make Daniel and Meridia fail. You would think her time could be better spent.
I hoped that Meridia wouldn't use the lotion when Eva left it and was glad she didn't, I wondered if maybe it would harm her in some way. And I like you don't think Eva does anything  without a motive so that made the lotion all the more suspect to me.

I was feeling the same way.  I don't trust anything Eva does.

Contributor
scuddednimbus
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

EbonyAngel wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

PiperMurphy wrote:
Did anyone else wonder when Eva left the jar of lotion, and told Meridia to use it, if it was more than just lotion? It could have been just plain lotion and Meridia could have not used it out of stubborness, but Eva does nothing without an ulterior motive. Eva puts a lot of time and effort into trying to make Daniel and Meridia fail. You would think her time could be better spent.
I hoped that Meridia wouldn't use the lotion when Eva left it and was glad she didn't, I wondered if maybe it would harm her in some way. And I like you don't think Eva does anything  without a motive so that made the lotion all the more suspect to me.

I think that if Meridia had used the lotion, it would have fed Eva's ego and been a confirmation that Meridia needed her (and her "generosity" ). It would have been something that Eva could have used against Meridia, especially when talking with Daniel, in the future. 

Message Edited by scuddednimbus on 06-20-2009 10:20 AM
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Very true.

scuddednimbus wrote:

I think that if Meridia had used the lotion, it would have fed Eva's ego and been a confirmation that Meridia needed her (and her "generosity" ). It would have been something that Eva could have used against Meridia, especially when talking with Daniel, in the future. 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

scuddednimbus wrote:

EbonyAngel wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

PiperMurphy wrote:

Message Edited by scuddednimbus on 06-20-2009 10:20 AM

Yes, I see now that this was one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" gestures that Eva could/would use to her advantage either way. I would have still been leary about what was in the stuff, though. Kind of a neat detail in the story.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

1) Who are their benefactors on Willow Street?

Eva and Elias think they are the benefactors -- but Meridia and Daniel are selling the "knock-off" copies as the real ones.  Neither Eva and Elias do not know about this.

2) In what ways are they trapped there?

Meridia and Daniel are trapped their mainly due to Daniel being spineless and not being able to stand up to his mother.  In addition - Daniel is not a strong provider to his wife and son.

Meridia is truly the business person.

3) Why does Eva have such power over them?

Daniel is Eva's puppet --- he is a spineless wimp that can't be the man his wife and son need.

TRJ4SQ

rkubie wrote:
Who are their benefactors on Willow Street? In what ways are they trapped there? Why does Eva have such power over them?

Elias is a secret benefactor for Noah's welfare.

Gabriel is a secret benefactor for the welfare of the whole family.

Samuel is a secret benefactor  for the success of the jewelry store.

Hannah is a secret benefactor for the success of the jewelry store.

Pilar is a secret benefactor by delivering the gold and money filled envelopes.

Ravenna is a benefactor for the family's welfare. She is the only one who is not a secret, interestingly enough.

I believe the question is how are Daniel & Merida trapped on Willow street and how much power does Eva have over them so I will answer accordingly...

The couple are trapped there by finances and the need to support a new baby. Eva holds great power over their ability to make ends meet because she is always skimming cash or finding new ways to keep them financially under her thumb.

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

PiperMurphy wrote:

I totally agree! Do you think Eva will ever look back on her life and see how much precious time she wasted trying to control everyone and make them miserable?
Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

I suspect the lotion was some sort of an enveloping cover that once applied Meridia would have been trapped and unable to get out of Eva's grasp -- much like a spider catching a fly in its web.  The lotion may have also been a sort of anti-verbena essence since the verbena essense keeps bees away.

TRJ4SQ wrote:

PiperMurphy wrote:

I totally agree! Do you think Eva will ever look back on her life and see how much precious time she wasted trying to control everyone and make them miserable?

PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

LISA-BRYAN wrote:
I suspect the lotion was some sort of an enveloping cover that once applied Meridia would have been trapped and unable to get out of Eva's grasp -- much like a spider catching a fly in its web.  The lotion may have also been a sort of anti-verbena essence since the verbena essense keeps bees away.

TRJ4SQ wrote:

PiperMurphy wrote:

Yes, you could be right. I like the spider and the fly analogy. The anti-verbena essence to prevent Ravenna's help is also a good possibility.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~