Contributor
CL77
0 Kudos

Re: Meridia

rkubie wrote:

What kind of person does Meridia show herself to be?

What chances for real warmth and affection has Meridia had in her young life?

How strong a person is she?

Again, the budding relationship that Meridia develops with Daniel is full of magical

properties--how do those fantastical elements describe what early romance is really like?

What is your early impression of Daniel's family and family life, and how do you think Meridia fits in with them?

Are you surprised by Gabriel and Ravenna's responses to her relationship?

In the beginning, I had found Meridia much too weak and scared. But as I continued to read, my sympathy for her and her situation grew.  I, too, felt so happy when she made friends with Hannah and so sad when Hannah disappeared.  

I cheered for Meridia when she slowly grew strong enough to stand up to her father, then to Eva and to face the fact that her husband might not yet have the strength or will to contradict his mother. I was so happy when Daniel proved to be a worthy partner for her.  

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I'm a bit late to the party (we have a grant application due - oy!) so I'll do my best to catch up.

Meridia reminds me (especially in the early chapters with her nurse) of photographs of the old psychological experiment where baby monkeys were given a terry-cloth covered wire "mom" to see how it affected their emotional development; I think the alternative was a bare wire "mom" (I can't remember the name of that study....rats).  All those pictures of sad-eyed little baby monkeys clinging to their towel-covered "mommies" - Meridia is so starved of warmth and human affection that she immediately gravitates to proferred warmth be it Hannah or Daniel.

rkubie wrote:

Again, the budding relationship that Meridia develops with Daniel is full of magical

properties--how do those fantastical elements describe what early romance is really like?

What is your early impression of Daniel's family and family life, and how do you think Meridia fits in with them?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

Very insightful comparison between Meridia and the  monkeys that were deprived of their mothers. The same observation could be applied to Permony.
Inspired Contributor
Tasses
0 Kudos

Please excuse if this has already been posted. I'm late to the party...

I've finished the book (don't read ahead if you haven't) and there are parts of Meridia that I just don't like, even though I'm not certain the author intended this. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I think she's a bit spoiled. She's an unhappy child, an unhappy newlywed, an unhappy with her house wife....  Kind of a nag? I was really getting tired of her whining.  Perhaps I'd have gone the way of Daniel? Perhaps that was the point in his easily manipulated betrayal? For all the author's intent to show us the virtuous Meridia, I didn't really like her. I liked Ravenna and Malin. Go figure.

See all my reviews at: Reading Rumpus and Many A Quaint & Curious Volume
Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

Meridia hasn't had a very good role model in Ravenna and so I guess it's understandable that she also doesn't stand up for herself.  I can see why she grew so attached to Hannah = but we all wonder how real this Hannah is actually.  Escape seems to be the way to handle things in this imaginary world...

Daniel seems about a real as Hannah - and I wonder if their courtship was indeed as wonderful as Meridia thinks it was or if it was more imagination...

I expect Meridia to have problems living with Daniel's family - seems what is expected and perhaps somewhat cliched.  She goes along with it like a trooper - perhaps because of Ravenna's less than acceptable performance as a role model.

I don't know what to think of Gabriel - the father - as I just thought he was an ass.  He's an ass at how he treats his wife and daughter and just about everyone else for that matter.  I don't blame Meridia for leaving at the earliest opportunity. 

Frequent Contributor
CKindianCB
0 Kudos

Meridia is an intelligent, insightful girl.  Even as a child she is aware of just about everything that going on around her.  As a young wife she tries to fit in with Daniel's family. Meridia is someone I would chose to be a friend.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

CL77 wrote:

rkubie wrote:

In the beginning, I had found Meridia much too weak and scared. But as I continued to read, my sympathy for her and her situation grew.  I, too, felt so happy when she made friends with Hannah and so sad when Hannah disappeared.  
I cheered for Meridia when she slowly grew strong enough to stand up to her father, then to Eva and to face the fact that her husband might not yet have the strength or will to contradict his mother. I was so happy when Daniel proved to be a worthy partner for her.  

It certainly didn't seem Meridia consumed any nurturing or closeness from her mother or father. What a shame and how sadden it must have been for Meridia to grow up not knowing the warmth and comfort from loving parents.  So how did she learn about life, love and closeness.?  So did Hannah teach her all there was to learn about closeness, love and family?  Usually a person that doesn't know closeness, nuturing and so forth, grows up cold and doesn't seem to enjoy others or life. 

But maybe this was the magical part also, Meridia came out just wonderful. She seemed happy and very well adjusted with Hannah and Daniel. And his family she got along good with until she realized what Eva was all about.

And she seemed to be a wonderful mother with great love and patience for Noah.

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Meridia looks like a premature baby, an odd person still trying to complete the remaining days of life through questions, as a person in constant discovery of/about life and family ties. As a completely lost child still trying to get the strength of parents and their hands to go on life she sees herself in the world totally alone. Without parents, without anything, she cries like a baby still getting its mother's womb.
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

It's good to see you, Marcil!

marciliogq wrote:
Meridia looks like a premature baby, an odd person still trying to complete the remaining days of life through questions, as a person in constant discovery of/about life and family ties. As a completely lost child still trying to get the strength of parents and their hands to go on life she sees herself in the world totally alone. Without parents, without anything, she cries like a baby still getting its mother's womb.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com