Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

Re: Meridia

rkubie wrote:

What is your early impression of Daniel's family and family life, and how do you think Meridia fits in with them?

Are you surprised by Gabriel and Ravenna's responses to her relationship?

Daniel appears to have a normal family life. I think to Meridia, it is the type of home that she has always wanted. And, that she would fit in well with them if she were allowed. I'm sure that Daniel's home is not what it appears to be. This is another place where time and setting don't agree. I picture Meridia's home as being Victorian and Daniel's as contemporary.

I was surprised at Ravenna's response. I thought that Gabriel behaved according to character, but I loved how Ravenna set him straight. I think that she had been building up to that cooking frenzy for years and it was the one way that she could make her point. She wasn't going to allow Meridia to become like herself.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Frequent Contributor
booksJT

I find Meridia to be strong and confident in what she does even though her parents are not aware of this characteristic. She has had little if any warmth and affection from her parents. The only person who seems to care about her is the  nurse until she is banished from the house. Her mother adores her when she is lucid which is not often.

Meridia meets Daniel at the plaza under magical circumstances. Everything was warm and more colorful.  Meridia described  what she felt when she first saw Daniel," ..The young man's eyes  shining on her, but his entire figure,it seemed ,was regarding her with a flame that had singed her earlier."pg 49.

My early impression  is that he has a  warm and happy family. There life seemed to be stable  and carefree. Meridia is not accustomed to family life so she would have a  hard time fitting in. Meridia knew little about how to participate in everyday family events. She had little experience coming from a unstable  home.

Not really since they never acknowledged the child's existence. She was just a pawn in the everyday fighting. 

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I like Permony as well, and think she is probably the more friendly of the two sisters. Meridia was drawn to her immediately and I hope we find there is more to their relationship. I love that Meridia acts as Permony's conspirator. :smileyhappy:

dhaupt wrote:

Meridia in the early chapters shows herself to be an odd child, a victim and an enabler, but in her defense what else could she have been. She's only shown affection by her nurse, her father despises her, her mother forgets she's even there. But as Meridia matures she also shows courage, intelligence and compassion.

Meridia only has been shown affection at the most basic level while growing up, first fleetingly by her mother and then by her nurse.

Meridia in my opinion is a very strong person to have survived through the childhood that she had.

I think the book reveals what early romance is like, it's all magical and giddy and ripe with possibilities.

My first impression of Daniel's family is that I liked the younger sister Permony and thought that Malin was a brat, but I felt it was a realistic view of siblings. I'll reserve my thoughts on the parents later as I know from the first chapter that Eva is apparently the root of all evil according to Meridia. As far as how she fits with them I think she wants to very much and she envies the love that she sees at her first visit.

I am not surprised any more by anything that Meridia's parents do. Although I would have thought that Gabriel would have been happy to be rid of her. 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
joyfull

I love it when authors give us characters like Meridia. I always like it when I feel compelled to be the advocate for a character.

I'm also feeling very sympathetic towards her. She is the victim of very poor, almost non-existent parenting but she makes it and develops some very positive traits. I like her spunk and her determination and her curiosity.

Meridia is a survivor. If she made it through that kind of childhood she can handle whatever is going to happen in the new household. I say to Eva, "Bring it on. Let's see what you've got. Meridia can handle it." And we will have fun watching.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Vivoco1,

I really liked your post, especially about Daniel being real OR not.

I wondered the same thing.

I definitely feel the foreboding in their relationship at this point of the book.

There is definitely something "off" with Daniel and his family.

pen21

vivico1 wrote:

I am leary of Daniel tho. After Hannah become "unreal", I first wondered if Daniel was even real OR was he a ghost with not the best of intentions. To me, because of the initial cat and mouse play they did, but mostly because of how she felt when she was in a place he just was, it was more than just the magic of one's first love, but there was a feeling of forboding to me that I just can't shake. Something just seems a bit off.

I think there are other threads about Daniel's family that i can't see from here lol, so I will check for them and post there about my initial thoughts about them so this one doesn't go on forever lol.

Wordsmith
BookWoman718

Hannah reminded me so much of the tall, blond character in "Beautiful Mind" who was John Nash's only friend in college.   Like John Nash with his friend, Meridia becomes almost another kind of person when 'inspired' by Hannah and her suggestions about having fun, getting out, enjoying the city.   Hannah comes into Meridia's life when she is most needed, and then disappears, leaving Meridia to enjoy the results of what they conjured up together. 
Contributor
Shannanlee
0 Kudos

1. Meridia presents herself as a sad girl with very low self-esteem. She has never learned love. The one person who showed her any attention has left her.

2. The only real love she recieved was from her nurse but it was an overprotective and germaphobic love.

3. I don't think she is a strong person. She was never given choices in life.

4. The feelings of warmth and the feeling of being comfortable of with that person like that person can protect you.

5. There is some disorder within the family especially between the two sisters. I think she feel she fits right in because its similar to the relationship of her parents.

6. No, I am not suprised. Gabriel reacted the way I would expected him to act cruel and mean. He felt he was gonna lose control of her. Ravenna wanted her to experience the love she never had with her father or what she used to have with her father before the affairs she rants about.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

That is a great thought relating Hannah to the character in Beautiful Mind.

pen21

BookWoman718 wrote:
Hannah reminded me so much of the tall, blond character in "Beautiful Mind" who was John Nash's only friend in college.   Like John Nash with his friend, Meridia becomes almost another kind of person when 'inspired' by Hannah and her suggestions about having fun, getting out, enjoying the city.   Hannah comes into Meridia's life when she is most needed, and then disappears, leaving Meridia to enjoy the results of what they conjured up together. 

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Yeah, it's hard to know what to trust and what not to in this book so far huh!

pen21 wrote:

Vivoco1,

I definitely feel the foreboding in their relationship at this point of the book.

pen21

vivico1 wrote:

I am leary of Daniel tho. After Hannah become "unreal", I first wondered if Daniel was even real OR was he a ghost with not the best of intentions. To me, because of the initial cat and mouse play they did, but mostly because of how she felt when she was in a place he just was, it was more than just the magic of one's first love, but there was a feeling of forboding to me that I just can't shake. Something just seems a bit off.

I think there are other threads about Daniel's family that i can't see from here lol, so I will check for them and post there about my initial thoughts about them so this one doesn't go on forever lol.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
New User
lauriet

Meridia is a curious, smart , obsevant,    lonley little girl who is growing up to be a very independent girl.

She has had no real warmth or love to speak of. The only attention she received was from her nurse and the occasional lesson from Ravina.

I think she gets stronger as time goes by. She is getting used to the silence of her parents and the strange happenings in the house.

My impression of Daniels family was they are  pretty much like her own. Not alot of love in that house.Her relationship with Daniel is magical because when your in love all your senses seem to be heightend. The smell of his salty skin, his touch,how they could talk for hours and stare at the stars. They see the beauty in all things when they are together.I was not to surprised by Gabriels response. He does not want to see her happy. Ravennas response shocked me. She actually wanted to see her daughter happy and stood up to Gabriel so that he had to cave in and let them marry.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the name Gabriel was the angel Gabriel.  He announced to Mary(mother of Jesus) that she was pregnant.  So I think perhaps Gabriel will make an announcement at some point in the novel and of what, I  have no idea.
hookedonbooks09 wrote:

Speaking of names, I'm struggling with Gabriel's meaning.  Meridia is easy, Ravenna (always in black like a raven) is also easy.  Gabriel?  Not seeing it yet, anyway.

Their romance is typical---all young/fresh/new romance is about that magical time when you see no bad, only good.  You walk on air, feel like you're in a dream and glow!  I liked Erick's use of the word shine, instead of glow, when he described Meridia walking down the street.  It was so much MORE than glow, and as she emerges from the darkness of her own life/home, I imagine she would shine!

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 06-01-2009 10:17 PM
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

When, on page 84, Eva tells Meridia "a woman who is goddess in the kitchen will keep her husband faithful for life", I gasped at the irony since Ravenna who is always in the kitchen has an unfaithful husband, Gabriel. Although Meridia immediately realizes this comparison is false, she does not see that she is going to be working in the kitchen, chopping and preparing, consigned to the same fate as her mother, presumably to keep her husband faithful. Doesn't Ravenna only cook to ensure that her husband will at least return in the mornings? Does this comment by Eva foreshadow that Daniel will cheat? Does this mean he will eventually be unfaithful like Gabriel?

Before her marriage, while at home, Meridia was left to her own devices. She was totally independent with freedom and money to spend, although she was "invisible " to those around her, whose attention she sought. Now, although she has lots of attention, it is often still negative and cruel. Meridia is totally under Eva's control, as all of the household members seem to be. She is also now totally dependent on her husband's family to fulfill all of her needs.

Has Meridia's life really changed for the better or has she just changed locations for a different set of problems?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

I ditto your thoughts Vivian.  I don't know WHAT to trust nor do I know WHO to trust.  At this point in the story things are a bit muddy and at times I feel like I'm sloughing thru muck.
vivico1 wrote:

Yeah, it's hard to know what to trust and what not to in this book so far huh!

pen21 wrote:

Vivoco1,

pen21

vivico1 wrote:

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Scribe
debbook

I really felt Meridia's lonliness, her parents are so removed from her, and there is this big secret no one will tell her. I loved how she stood up to her father to marry Daniel. But I fear her new family has it's own secrets and she will be lonely again. I don't trust Eva and I bet Daniel does not turn out to be a great husband. I do think she has the strenghth to deal with whatever will come later.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Contributor
Em18966

What kind of person does Meridia show herself to be?

Strong and honorable.  Also, insecure and fearful of her place in life and ability to attract love.

What chances for real warmth and affection has Meridia had in her young life?

Virtually none.  The nurse was the only source of real caring she had, and she was taken away for fear of exposing family secrets.  She is looking for anything that she can get her hands on that even resembles love, stability and happiness.

How strong a person is she?

Very.  Her strength was her only defense against her family and upbringing.

Again, the budding relationship that Meridia develops with Daniel is full of magical

properties--how do those fantastical elements describe what early romance is really like?

The magical elements seem to be simple exaggerations of what people really feel when they are first in love (or lust).

What is your early impression of Daniel's family and family life, and how do you think Meridia fits in with them?

His family is very structured.  There is more competition than genuine affection, and everyone only survives by submitting to Daniel's mother.  Meridia is not weak or malleable enough to fit in well, and there is bound to be contention.  And Meridia senses it in her brief interaction with Daniel's mother.

Are you surprised by Gabriel and Ravenna's responses to her relationship?

Yes.  They demonstrated a deeper level of caring than they had ever shown at any other point in their daughter's life.  I expected them to simply not care one way or the other.

Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

Meridia to me reminds me a lot of Jane Eyre (I am currently reading this book as well). Both of these young women never really had any love from their families. Meridia is strong though because she her nanny practically raised her and her mother is whacko and doesnt really pay attention to her and her father doesnt at all and so to go through life like that is tough.

i was really happy for her though when she went to school and the author didnt portray her to be crazy and the dead beat loner because of the way she was raised...she didnt really have many friends but the other kids admired her anyway, the boys thought she was pretty and because she ignored most of them that just made them want her more (sort to speak).

Im routing for her in this book to overcome the ways of her familly and im interested to see if her and her new husband will stay together and if so will they have children and if she will be more motherly and loving with them or if she will pass on the cold shoulder to her children

Inspired Correspondent
libralady

I see Meridia as a lonely child, going through life "invisible" to her parents and shunned by her schoolmates; living in somewhat of a mist herself.  I think meeting Hannah allowed her to begin to bring some normalcy into her life.  I think she is very strong, otherwise she would not have been able to endure growing up in that house.  I also see her as determined.  Determined to find out what happened on that fateful night that changed her family forever.
"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Frequent Contributor
krenea1
0 Kudos

Meridia is kind, quiet and in her own way strong. She has to be strong to grow up with parents like hers. I'm thinking that without school and her gypsy friend she may have become a recluss.

There were no chances. It's a strange situation.

I would say it shows the sweetness of the relationship from start up. Everything is the first this and first that.

Daniel's family is not as strange as hers accept for the sister situation. His mother has an affection for one of the daughters that runs deeper than the other. They seem almost normal.

I was surprized by their responses. It was as if it was the only gift Ravenna saw that she could give her daughter and her father seemed to not care likewise except for the reputation. His worries were weird though since the family has not entertained guests in a very long time. They have almost fallen off of the face of the earth as far as the town is concerned.

Karen Renea

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Meridia is a very lonely child with only the nurse to love her. As many have mentioned in previous posts, her father seemed to despise her while her mother often forgot she existed. What a sad existence for a child.

I do believe that she is a very strong person.

I agree with the readers who said that Daniel and Meridia's budding romance is magical and sweet. It epitomizes young love.

the early glimpses of Daniel's family seem to make Meridia crave warmth and familial expression that she never had in her own house. She immediately connected with Permony and had the opposite relationship with Malin at the outset....At their very first meeting, she felt completely taken by Daniel's mother.

At first, I was extremely surprised by Meridia's parent's reaction to her relationship with Daniel. I was surprised that either of them felt as strongly as they did. That her father was so vehemently against it seemed out of character - however, I guess his fatherly instincts may have woken up and he felt (in his own way) that he was protecting his daughter (or maybe her honor - or perhaps even his own perceived 'honor'). (I do feel there was more to it than him just being mean). That her mother raged so strongly against Gabriel blocking Meridia's happiness was perhaps even more surprising to me. However, after reading about their confrontation over the breakfast table, I felt that I understood Ravenna's motivation more. 

Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

In a world of ghosts and mists and moving staircases, and parents who either have such self loathing they can't love her or maybe they just don't know how to anymore, Meridia is either one strong child (since she has no siblings to love or depend on either) or she is a child gone mad and has created a world of fantasy in which she can explain her invisibility by living among the truly invisible, i.e. the ghosts and Hannah. I don't know yet, but I do think, as with some children who are really alone, her curiosity is her saving grace from all of this. She is so terribly sheltered tho from the world, and not in good ways unfortunately, that to find out about the world, I think she really needed Hannah to get her started! Hannah, whether she is a ghost or an imaginary friend (and even I thought she was real until you find out she's not there! wow), was the force that got Meridia to go places that she probably always wanted to but never had the nerve to alone. She wasn't alone with Hannah. And then by getting out, becoming used to it, then even without Hannah, she is able to find Daniel. She may never have met him otherwise.

One last thought here tho, Meridia, for whatever is going on with her or who she is, in this book, she is my Hannah. She is taking me places that I am not accustomed to but I am willing to follow along with her to the things she can show me too, for as long as she can. :smileywink:

Hi Vivico, glad to see you here. I can't agree with you more. There is so much going on in that little girl's head! I have so many questions about her and what she is really seeing. Thy mystical is so much a part of her story.

I wonder about Daniel and his family. Why is Persimony so abused, and why does Daniel sit by and allow it? I am concerned for Meridia as she is so taken by the family that she does not really question what is going on with the two girls. I can't see most mothers allowing such behavior of one sibling to another. Even if one is clumsy. I would be most suspicious of this "loving" family.

So, just as you said, I will travel along with Meridia to see where she goes. I am most curious.