Correspondent
m3girl
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, 10 - 19

I have to say that these chapters were much easier and more enjoyable than the first nine.  I think it could be because it was much more grounded in reality.  Also I can relate to that marriage - it sure felt like my first marriage - Eva was my mother in law in so many ways.  But besides that it moved along at a good pace.  I'm not a big fan of all of the mystical things in this book and wonder if they are really necessary.  If you eliminated the mist, the strange staircase and the cold in the house would those first nine chapters read any different?  Would they be better?  Would they be less good?  See, I am unsure if they are necessary to the story line, in my opinion.  I'm not trying to convince anyone else of this....different strokes.

Anyway - these chapters felt much better - and more realistic.  The smells of the roses and the marigolds were interesting additions to the storyline but weren't nearly as overbearing as what I read in the first nine chapters.

On to more reading.  I am actually looking forward to see what happens in the next group of chapters and how I react to them.

Susan 

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

Hi, I saw your post. I am not sure that Meridia is manipulative. She does deserve to be happy. It seems like she went from one disfunctional family to another.

I can't believe Eve. She is definitely manipulative. I definitely believe that she had alternative motives for Daniel to marry Meridia. I am not sure what yet. Daniel do not have much of a backbone yet. He needs to get him and Meridia out and get their own place.

The father, Elias does not do much. He reminds me of Meridia dad.

I am finding this book interesting and intriguing.  I keep wondering what is going to happen next.

I am not trouble by not having a time or place. This story could be set in any time or place. You just have to imagine where you would like it to be. I think that is part of the mystery of this book. I don't think Eric meant for us to know what time or place it is suppose to be.

We can concentrate on the story he has giving us.

I will definitely read his next book. I would like to see him write a sequal to this book. Just a thought.

ReadingPatti

You know, Patti

I believe Meridia was manipulating but in a different way than Eva. It seemed she had to somewhat be manipulative because of Eva's abusive evil ways. Meridia was trying to save her family from being split up by Eva and her evil schemes. There was so much solid evil in the soul of Eva but Meridia knew love and how to love and protect her family, and when she used Manipulation it was too protect the people she loved.

Scribe
ReadingPatti

Kikar, I can now see what you mean. Meridia has to be manipultive in order to keep her family together. I just wish that her and Daniel would get their own home or apartment.

I feel so sorry for Daniel's sister, Permony. Eve is so mean to her. I really hope that she can get out and have a lfie. One away from Eve. Eve is going to eventually get was she deserves. All her evil will come back to her tenfold. She will regret all she did to make her family so miserable.

Eve's kind of love in not needed. She has a toxic kind of love in my opinion.

I love this book and really hope that Eric write a sequel to it.

ReadingPatti

Correspondent
HannibalCat

ponie wrote:

Shall we diagnose Eva with a huge dose of unhealthy narcissism??

Eva's mantra seems to be:  "If it's not about me, it's not!"

Flip that around to "It's ALL about me!"

Love that! Know too many people that have that same outlook. Eva is well known to us.

Distinguished Correspondent
TRJ4SQ

Were your first impressions of Meridia's new family accurate?

I was suspicious of them from the start and I was pretty much on target except with Patina's role in the story.

In what ways has Meridia grown up in these chapters? How have her feelings for her own family changed? Have your feelings for Ravenna and Gabriel changed in these chapters?

Merida has grown into her own self acceptance as a real, living breathing person who is valid. She's learned to be strong enough to voice her own opinions and act on her feelings without fear of parental repercussions. I think her feelings have softened for her parents as have mine. These chapters show a more humanistic side to their grief and behavior.

What do the role do the scents of Verbena and of Roses have in the story? It there a scent you recognize and associate with a loved one or a family member?

The scents serve as harbingers of each mother. For me, warms cast iron skillets for my grandmother, tomato plants for my grandfather and Chantilly Lace or lilac for my mom.

What characteristics seem to make up the Willow Street house? (Please be careful of spoilers in answering!)

Willow street is small, dusty and decrepit with many flaws. Perhaps this represents the past life events of Merida & Daniel that need to be repaired.

Why has Hannah appeared again, and why has she disappeared? Do you believe in her?

Still not sure what to make of Hannah. I'm beginning to wonder if she is Merida's alter ego after all. This is one of the most beguiling mysteries of the book.

What birth stories have we had in the novel so far? What do each of them have to show us about the characters involved? Is the story of your birth always part of your own personal mythology of who you are?

Merida's, Patina's & Noah's so far as I can remember. The story of their birth directly reflects who they are as a person. My birth story is  the beginning of my personal story and how I came to be named Talea.

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

Re: my thoughts: 10 - 19

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Chapter 12

what's with the ill-fated birthmark, it's sort of a creepy character of it's own. 

I've been wondering about this myself!

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

My first impression of Meridia's fit in her new family was that she better wake up and smell the coffee before all she does is serve it.

:smileyvery-happy: Too funny! But the truth...

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

I have liked the book all along, but found that it became more of a page-turner for me in this second section.

--Barb

I had to start another book just to keep myself from reading ahead.

Great idea! A pleasant distraction from a pleasant distraction! :smileyhappy:

I agree with Barb too.....This section grabbed my interest and has held it so far.

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote: 

My husband wears cologne and even after he leaves for work, I can still smell his cologne in the bedroom and closet. It seems to linger most of the day and reminds me of him when I go into the bedroom from time to time.

How sweet!

I smell my hsuband's on his pillow after he leaves. :smileyhappy:

Aren't we two lucky ladies! :smileywink:

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

LoBugs wrote:

Is the story of your birth always part of your own personal mythology of who you are?

I really hope not ,I was born brech, you know ass end first.  I would hate to think that my whole life will be in some way or another lived ass backward.

Hehehe...Too funny! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN

****************SPOILER ALERT*********************

PLEASE DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU YOU HAVE READ AHEAD -- I DO NOT WANT TO SPOIL THE STORY FOR ANYONE.

In response to:

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Chapter 12

what's with the ill-fated birthmark, it's sort of a creepy character of it's own. 

I have concluded that crescent shaped birthmark on Pilar's chin was symbolic of the a waxing moon that you would see at night.  Since Gabriel was in Pilar's company at night, the crescent shaped birthmark may be analogous to the red A that Hester Prynne that had to wear in The Scarlet Letter after it became apparent that she had committed adultry.

PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

LISA-BRYAN wrote:

PLEASE DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU YOU HAVE READ AHEAD -- I DO NOT WANT TO SPOIL THE STORY FOR ANYONE.

In response to:

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Chapter 12

I have concluded that crescent shaped birthmark on Pilar's chin was symbolic of the a waxing moon that you would see at night.  Since Gabriel was in Pilar's company at night, the crescent shaped birthmark may be analogous to the red A that Hester Prynne that had to wear in The Scarlet Letter after it became apparent that she had committed adultry.

Thank you! I have tried to figure out what the birthmark meant, but I didn't come up with anything that made as much sense as this. That would be why she fingers it while she is talking to Meridia. She feels guilty.
"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Wow, great analogy, Lisa-Bryan! The Scarlet Letter is one of my favorite novels. :smileyhappy:

LISA-BRYAN wrote:

In response to:

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Chapter 12

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

lmpmn wrote:
One thing I noticed in these later chapters was how the mists seemed to be protecting Meridia instead of thwarting her.  The mists shooed Daniel away when he came to try to win her back.  When she was living in her mother and father's house, the mists seemed to be stopping her from doing the things she wanted.  However, maybe they were protecting her all along.  For example, they'd wrap up her father so she couldn't see him coming and going to and from his mistress's home.  This could be seen as protecting her from that knowledge (although she found out anyway from learning her mother's secret language).

An interesting perspective......Thanks for sharing this thought!
TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

JerseyAngel wrote:

lmpmn wrote:

I find it very interesting that in these chapters at least 3 names that I've noticed are biblical names: Noah, Leah, and Rebecca.  Eva is pretty close to Eve as other posters have mentioned.

Well now that I think about it, Daniel, Hannah, and Elias are all biblical names.  Plus you could count the angel Gabriel too.

Someone asked Erick how he picked the names & he said he chose them from the bible. It's the very first post on this link Re: Questions for Erick Setiawan? (Names)

I missed this....Thanks for the link!