Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Middle Chapters, 10 - 19

These chapters follow Meridia's life from her fist attempts to fit into her husband's household, to the birth of her son.

Were your first impressions of Meridia's new family accurate?

In what ways has Meridia grown up in these chapters?

How have her feelings for her own family changed? Have your feelings for Ravenna and Gabriel changed in these chapters?

What do the role do the scents of Verbena and of Roses have in the story? It there a scent you recognize and associate with a loved one or a family member?

What characteristics seem to make up the Willow Street house? (Please be careful of spoilers in answering!)

Why has Hannah appeared again, and why has she disappeared? Do you believe in her?

What birth stories have we had in the novel so far? What do each of them have to show us about the characters involved? Is the story of your birth always part of your own personal mythology of who you are?

Inspired Contributor
Linda10
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, 10 - 19

Good morning!  Although these are all very good questions, I think I'm going to come back to them later.

The first thing I would like to say is that, like a number of other people, I have been in a sort of limbo land so far as the first chapters are concerned.  Do I like this book?  Or don't I like this book?  I have liked it more than I haven't liked it.  But now that we're about halfway through it, I must say that I'm now leaning towards liking the book much, much more!  Some of our questions are getting answered now.

The one I would like to address first is the question we were all having as to what time period the story takes place.  Some people had trouble with this; and some people liked the idea that it was a timeless story.  Well, on page 114, we find some family photographs of Eva's, some of which are in color.  When did color photography appear?  In the '60s?  Late '50s?  Either way, it now puts a modern spin on this story.  I hope that doesn't spoil things for some of you!  And -- how weird that baby Eva's smile appeared and disappeared in one of the photographs!  More magic!

Just one thought so far.  I am enjoying the book, and even more now that some of the "loose ends" are getting tied up.

Frequent Contributor
GnANorman
0 Kudos

I finished the book last night, but will try to contain answers specifically from these chapters.  

My impressions of Meridia's new family led me to be suspicious.  Eva was so sicky sweet, that it was obvious she was setting up Meridia for something.  I was surprised by the amount of meddling Eva did in the newlywed's life.  She definitely wore the pants.

Because of Eva, Meridia was forced to grow up quickly.  She went from a situation where her parents seemed uncaring to one where Eva was overbearing.  She learned to stand up for herself.  I had to keep reminding myself how young she really was.  I am wondering, in what time period this story was targeted?  

Meridia did seem to change her feelings for her parents.  First she began to appreciate her mother for her strength and support.  Though her father still seemed to show disinterest, I think she started to see a glimmer of love from him as well.

Freedom and happiness seem to make up the Willow Street house.

I think Hannah appears whenever Meridia needs a true friend to rely on.  I think she is an apparition, but Meridia finds comfort in her until the situation that is causing stress is resolved.  I believe that Meridia believes in her.  

So far we have witnessed three births- Meridia, Daniel and now Noah.  All remarkable in their depiction.  I think they demonstrate the strength of the person as they grow.  I don't believe the story of my birth is part of my own personal mythology of who I am. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

These chapters follow Meridia's life from her fist attempts to fit into her husband's household, to the birth of her son.

Were your first impressions of Meridia's new family accurate? Yes, I always knew that there was more than meets the eye with them because Meridia was so enamored of them (well except Malia). It seems she jumped from the frying pan into the fire with them...in-laws can be difficult and living with them more so...no matter which way it went you were bound to have issues.

In what ways has Meridia grown up in these chapters? She seems to have found her voice and the ability to stand up for herself and others.

How have her feelings for her own family changed? Have your feelings for Ravenna and Gabriel changed in these chapters? I was proud of Gabriel for standing up for her but I still was angry when he told her that if the new move didn't work out she could not come back...I have to wonder why he doesn't seem to feel more love for her...it is not her fault, her mother tried to kill him. As for Ravenna, I do believe that she is not well and needs some kind of help but have no idea what is available to her in this imaginary world.

Why has Hannah appeared again, and why has she disappeared? Do you believe in her? I still think that Hannah is an imaginary friend who she brings about to help her in times that she can't seem to cope with herself..

Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise

my thoughts: 10 - 19

Chapter 10

I'm disturbed and perplexed that Meridia is treated as a servant in her new house.  She's rather like a wife-in-training.  I'm also disturbed that she almost enjoys this new role.  The bees are a curious character, and what does Patina have to do with the neighbour's dog's misfortune?

Chapter 11

So Eva and Patina have a long and complicated history.  At this point I wondered if perhaps they were sisters.  Why would Eva pull Patina out of her grief only to put her in a life of squalor?

Chapter 12

I'm not sure if anyone else felt this way, but the smile disappearing from the photograph was really creepy.  As was the return of the smile.  I'm not sure why the smile returned at that exact moment.  The story that Daniel told about Eva and Patina, there just has to be more to it. 

When Meridia meets Patina's sister, I find myself so frustrated.  Who is telling the truth, and what's with the ill-fated birthmark, it's sort of a creepy character of it's own. 

Pilar is sort of like pillar as in pillar of strength?  Will this be her role?  Hard to imagine that.

The roses are strong, however the marigolds are plentiful.  The roses represent Eva, who is strong in her horrible passive-aggressive way.  And the Marigolds are Patina?

Chapter 13

Is Meridia imagining Malin's stares?  Is Meridia being paranoid that Malin is talking about her to Daniel?

Malin - malignant, to malign

Meridia stood under the window and heard all the nasty things Eva had to say about her.  I wondered if Malin did this for Meridia's benefit or pain?

Chapter 14

Reading Meridia's conversation with Daniel about Eva makes me think the author has taken most marital relationships (including with in-laws and parents) and put them under a microscope.  Also, I'm really curious if Malin somehow orchestrated the tirade of Eva's? Was Malin able to imitate her mother's voice?  Could all this be a misunderstanding devised by Malin?

I was so sad when Meridia left her husband behind, but pleased by her strength to do so.  She waited for Daniel outside the house - so sweet.  But of course he never turned up, which was sad.

Chapter 15

The fight between the two sets of parents as well as Gabilon's description of what happened after Meridia left the house both seem overly dramatic and a bit unreasonable.  I'm glad that Meridia knows that Daniel attempted to go after her!  Will their love prevail?  Should it?  Is Daniel strong enough?  It will certainly be a surprise if he is.  Sounds like Malin might be changing sides a bit here, she seems really pleased (in her veiled way) with Meridia's strength.

This chapter is turning into a bit of a Romeo and Juliet story with Meridia watching from her window as Daniel is spurned by mist and mother.

Chapter 16

These winds that seem to mark all major passages is quite curious.  Is it related to the mist?  The wind came and made Meridia realise she was pregnant - or remember that she is.  She felt a kick in her stomach while talking to her father.  She would have to be about 4 months (3 if you wish to really stretch it).  Hard to imagine she didn't know or at least suspect prior to that.  And now her father disowns her (or puts it on the line) rather than become a grandfather?  Seems counterintuitive.  But perhaps is fitting since he has such a difficult relationship with his daughter.

Chapter 17

Hannah is certainly an interesting character.  She shows up just when Meridia's circumstances are at their lowest.  She injects life into Meridia and then vanishes.  And then the letter.  Who is this person (if that's even the right word)?  And she has such beneficial effects on Meridia, does it really matter if she's imaginary?

Chapter 18

I'm really disliking Eva.  Really!  Elias's attempts to re-ingratiate himself are so cute!  I loved seeing Daniel and Meridia working together to support each other and stand against Eva and to see Daniel standing up to his mother on his own. Although something tells me that may prove to be unfortunately costly.

Chapter 19

Why would Eva endanger her grandchild like that?  What's wrong with that woman?  And how did she appear in the room?  Just as some questions (may be) answered, other appear!!!

chris227

Initially I wanted to like Daniel's family, hoping that they would give Meridia a better life than she had with her own parents.  I was a little weary of Eva because of the introduction to the book but I had absolutely no clue that she would turn out to be so evil!!  Malin I was weary of but in the end she ended up being the one to show Meridia the truth and now is "in awe of her."  For Daniel I have many mixed emotions, loved him but wanted Meridia to be cautious of him, hated him when he didn't go after Meridia, but then love him again, knowing he attempted to go after her but was held back by his father.  He is redeeming himself by not giving in to Eva now that they live on Willow Street.

Meridia changed greatly in these chapters.  I no longer picture her as a little girl.  She has learned to stand up for herself and others.  She is no longer invisible.

Ravenna actually seemed like a good mother at the end of this section.  She stuck up for her daughter (I loved it when she slapped Eva across the face!!), welcomed her back home, and thwarts Eva's attempts to hurt Meridia.  She stood by and cared for Meridia through the birth like she had been there for her her whole life.  Gabriel was growing on me when he initially confronted Eva and Elias but again showed his true colors by telling Meridia she would no longer be welcomed in his house if she returned to Daniel.

The scents work on the same level as the mists and the bees.  The roses are Eva's evil working to suffocate Meridia during the night, preventing her sleep.  The Verbana is Ravenna's good (who would have thought?) preventing Eva's presence and evil. 

The Willow Street home was initially dark and dirty but it seems Meridia and Daniel have changed it into a welcoming home, full of love.  I hopes the home would protect Meridia in some ways but the birth scene makes it seem that this isn't so.

Hannah appears again to show Meridia how to get customers for her store.  She gives Meridia strength and courage and shows her what to do.  She is definitely more than just an imaginary friend although more and more she definitely doesn't seem real.  A guardian angel, maybe?  But then where was she during Meridia's time on Orchard St.? 

The birth stories so far have been Meridia's and her son's.  Neither of these was good stories.  The midwife having written Meridia off for dead and both Meridia and her son almost dying.  It makes me worry about Noah's fate.

chris227

Numbers

Okay, so I didn't realize the use of numbers until someone mentioned it in the discussion of the first section but that made me notice several occurrences in this section:

Ravenna mute for 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days which is the exact length of time Meridia was on Orchard Street.

Noah was born 6/6.  Okay so maybe I've watched too many horro movies but could the year be 06?  Making his birthday 06/06/06 (which adds up to 18 - the number of hours of his birth).  Could he be evil too?  But then his name Noah which means "peaceful"  funny after the torment Meridia went through during his birth...okay so I got off track from the number a bit but this book just has so much to talk about!

Scribe
DSaff

The book really picked up in these chapters! We see Meridia use skills her mother taught her to face the harshness of her new family. When I first read Ravenna tell her to stand straight and tall, I wasn't sure what was coming. But, now we can see that that "straightness" enables Meridia to weather the criticism and heap it back onto the others (especially Eva). It enabled her to hide her true feelings. Meridia sees that she just can't remain invisible, but must stand up for herself if she hopes to have a home of her own. I think she is also hoping that this will encourage Daniel to stand up, but, that wasn't to be - at first. When she left Daniel to go back to her parent's home, I feared that Eva would controll Daniel as she did Elias. I was extremely happy to see Daniel fighting for her and ultimately win.

Meridia hadn't really thought that her parents cared about her until now. When they came to her defense and fought for a home for her and Daniel, I think Meridia saw a softer hearted side of them. It still isn't perfect, but things are moving toward a more positive relationship. I loved how Ravenna's verbenna smell would drive Eva away. That was wonderful!

Hannah reappeared because Meridia needed her. With Hannah's help, Meridia met her neighbors and canvassed the area building up her husband's business. I now think that Hannah is another part of Meridia's personality and she comes out when needed. I get that from page  173 - 174:

"Are you coming in?" asked Daniel. Meridia wiped her cheek and turned

"Yes, Daniel. This is --"

She felt Hannah's hand pressing hers with urgency. When she turned, her friend was nowhere to be seen.

"Why are you standing her all alone?" said Daniel. "I swear you were talking to yourself just now. Where is this mythical friend of yours? I must have a word with her for hogging you these three days."

Then, Meridia finds the letter from Hannah and tucks it away - "along with a part of her that had once again shut." pg. 174

I love the Willow Lane house. It has character and hidding places (for money, gold). It is a home. I especially love the way Elias helped furnish it and continues to visit bringing gifts, but doesn't want his wife to know. It is also wonderful when Ravenna comes and keeps Eva away. Eva and her bees are the thorn here and I can't wait to see if she gets what is coming to her!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
chris227

Time

The more I read the more confused I become about the time the story takes place.  There's talk about color photographs which would make the story more current.  But then all of the store records are handwritten in ledgers which to me makes me think more in the past.  And then the thing that really makes me think the story setting is in the past was the whole childbrith scene - the midwife was brought to the house, Daniel was kept out of the room, and it was said that childbirth was "nothing for a man to see."  Now it is common for the father to be in the delivery room and childbirth isn't thought of as an "image of horror" as it is in the book.

dhaupt

My first impression of Meridia's fit in her new family was that she better wake up and smell the coffee before all she does is serve it.

I think Meridia's coming of age is ongoing, she's just recently moved into her own home and had a child. But she is making progress even though her childhood was less that perfect she is making a good home for her family.

I think her feelings for her family have changed and even though Gabriel has more or less said if she leaves she can't come back, he didn't prevent her from coming home in the first place and he's speaking to her as more of an adult now. As for Revenna she has missed Meridia so much that she welcomes her back with open arms but is enough of a realist to see that her staying can't solve all her problems and even though Revenna blames Daniel as well as Eva for all of Meridia's heartaches she still agrees to the move to Daniel and Meridia's own home.

My feeling are still evolving for Meridia's parents. I am feeling less anger with Gabriel and am becoming to see Revanna as a good mother although it's a little late.

Hmm, I am following the reading schedule so my thoughts on Meridia's and Daniel's home so far is welcoming and a new beginning for them. So far a save harbor in a storm of in-laws and out-laws.

Hannah is so far the biggest mystery. Is she real? I don't know. But she always seems to show up when Meridia needs help and Hannah provides it.

We have quite a few birth stories from the almost tragedy of Meridia's and Noah's to the embellished story of Daniel's knowing Eva how could it not be. I don't think a person's birth is the window to how their life will be. 

Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09

Those stinking bees!  So nobody has a spare can of Raid?!  And while they're at it, a nice squirt in the face for Missy Eva isn't a bad idea!

Okay, I feel better now.  :-) 

I think that Meridia grew up quite a lot in this part of the book, and I was amused to see that she took a lot of her lessons from Eva, and then turned them around for her own good.

I was pleased to see Daniel finally see through his mother's wiles.  Well, sort of.  I'm still a little worried that he will be swayed back and turn against Meridia, but hopefully not.

I liked that Ravenna came out of her forgetfulness to help her daughter in a no-nonsense type of way, if not necessarily an affectionate way.  But then, that's not Ravenna!

I have liked the book all along, but found that it became more of a page-turner for me in this second section.

--Barb

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Yes.

She has finally learned to stand up for herself.

How have her feelings for her own family changed?

She now sees that they both truly care for her but, she still feels the same way about them.

Have your feelings for Ravenna and Gabriel changed in these chapters?

A little more sympathetic - but not much.

What do the role do the scents of Verbena and of Roses have in the story?

Show whose influence is predominant at the time.

It there a scent you recognize and associate with a loved one or a family member?

No

What characteristics seem to make up the Willow Street house? (Please be careful of spoilers in answering!)

a safe haven, cozy, warm

Why has Hannah appeared again, and why has she disappeared?

She was needed as she was before.

Do you believe in her?

She is not real - just a different persona that Meridia shows when she needs to do things that are out of her comfort zone. 

What birth stories have we had in the novel so far?

Meridia, Noah, Permony(?)

What do each of them have to show us about the characters involved?

Meridia - strong, fight to live

Permony - needy

Noah - too early to tell

Is the story of your birth always part of your own personal mythology of who you are?

No

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

The bookmark I made for "OfBeesAndMist" is a simple reminder: the story is a fantasy. This reminder has given me permission to read the words, get a mental picture, enjoy the words, move on. No more trying to make this "fit" into a world I may be comfortable with.

It is interesting that the families have no last names; they are known by the name of the street on which they live or work.

There is a solution for Eva's marigold problem; RABBITS will make short work of them all.

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Lil_Irish_Lass

Daniel turned out to not disappoint me in my gut feeling that he wasn't as knight in shining armor as Meridia made him out to be when they first met. Granted, he has started to redeem himself towards the end of this group of chapters but I cannot help but wonder, how long will he fight his mother before Eva wins? Overall Daniel is not a strong character in any sense of the word; it is Meridia who has to protect their family.

It was good to see Meridia grow up and show that even if she felt invisible in her childhood home, that Ravenna did provide her with the necessary life skills to running a household and being a wife. And more importantly Ravenna taught Meridia to stand up for herself even if it wasn't done in the typical loving, motherly way.

Elias is the polar opposite of Gabriel... both men are tormented by the powers that surround their wives. Where Gabriel rebels, Elias submits. And notice that when Gabriel submits (to letting Meridia and Daniel stay married) it is Elias who rebells against his wife by making the deal happily but putting up a front for Eva.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

Re: my thoughts: 10 - 19

Amanda-Louise,

Perhaps Meridia feels useful.

Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

I have liked the book all along, but found that it became more of a page-turner for me in this second section.

--Barb

Barb I totally agree! I'm determined to keep on the reading schedule so I don't have to worry about posting spoilers and I'm finishing the next group of chapters so early in the week I had to start another book just to keep myself from reading ahead.

I'm really liking this book. I love the ambiguity of all of it (with no set place or location in time). It helps to sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride when there are less facts to have to focus on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Frequent Contributor
booksJT

Yes they were. I thought the mother in law was so preoccupied in trying to run their life. In the beginning Eva was happy for them to be married. Then later on she showed her true feelings for Meridia.

Meridia had no choice but to grow up fast because of Eva. Eva was trying to ruin her marriage so she had to stand up for her family. In order to do this she had to take a stand against Eva.

Her feelings changed for her parents when they came to her defense against her in-laws. Her mother gave Meridia her support when everything looked gloomy. The father was still disinterested until Noah was born. Then he started to show a little sparkle of life.

The  scent of Verbena represents Meridia's mother. I think these scents represent the persons mood at the time. The Roses have an overbearing scent that takes over all other scents. 

I think happiness and relaxing make up the characteristics of Willow street.

Hannah appears when Meridia needs help in solving her problems. Hannah is her friend when she needs someone to console in. She disappears when she is no longer needed. Hannah is Meridia's imaginary friend.  

So far there have been three births. Meridia, Daniel and Noah. Each of these births represent the characteristics of each person as they develop.

I don't think so.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

Those stinking bees!  So nobody has a spare can of Raid?!  And while they're at it, a nice squirt in the face for Missy Eva isn't a bad idea!

Okay, I feel better now.  :-) 

--Barb

Thanks Barb, you made my Monday morning. Not often do I get to belly laugh on Monday am.
thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

My first impressions of Meridia's new family did prove to be accurate. Even though Meridia seemed excited about leaving her home on Monach Street something told me that she was not going to be as happy as she thought at Orchard Street.  Before long she learned about Eva's meddling ways that almost destroyed her marriage.

Meridia had to quickly grow up in order to protect herself against Eva's evil forces on Orchard Street. Soon she discovered that she could not even trust Daniel to come to her rescue. She did recall Ravenna's instructions in regards to how to remain strong and she learned how to combat Eva's evil and to give Eva a taste of her own medicine.

How have her feelings for her own family changed? Have your feelings for Ravenna and Gabriel changed in these chapters?

When Meridia arrived back on Monarch Street after she left Daniel, she began to realize the support she had from Ravenna and Gabriel. This support did change my feelings for Ravenna and Gabriel also. It was a good feeling to realize that her parents were in support of her.

What does the role of the scents of Verbena and of Roses have in the story? It there a scent you recognize and associate with a loved one or a family member?

The verbena scent is associated with Ravenna while the scent of roses is associated with Eva.  Merida has a few chilly feelings in which she smells the roses and is reminded of Eva's evil.

Eva also used the dying stench of roses while Meridia was sleeping causing Meridia's eyes to water and her throat to rasp but Meridia understood that the scent was used to help mask the drone of Eva's bees.

Meridia uses Ravenna's scent of verbena against Eva which forces Eva to stay away but soon Eva realizes this and returns again.

Another time that Meridia smelt the sweet scent of verbena, she found a cloth-wrapped parcel lying on her doormat which contained gold bars. She immediately associated that Ravenna had left them to help her and Daniel.

My husband wears cologne and even after he leaves for work, I can still smell his cologne in the bedroom and closet. It seems to linger most of the day and reminds me of him when I go into the bedroom from time to time.

My daughters used to remark that things that were donated to them by their cousin always carried a certain scent from her house. It seems to be true that when you visit other homes they all seem to carry a scent either from foods they cook or perfumes they use.

The Willow Street house seems to have a personality of its own. It seems to wheeze with an old man's lungs. The rafters, floors and walls seemed to have a cold and cough. A lot of dust and air trapped by the low celings and narrow rooms smelled of an asthmatic old man. Meridia worked hard to be rid of the old man smell by sweeping, washing and dusting the smell away. She is the mistress of the Willow Street house and she is happy about that.

Why has Hannah appeared again, and why has she disappeared? Do you believe in her?

I don't believe that Hannah is for real. I think she is Meridia's imaginary friend who appears and helps her feel stronger to do the things she needs to do at stressful times of her life. At this time, she appears and gives Meridia ideas in order for the jewelry store to gain more customers. But when Meridia tells Daniel about her, Hannah is no longer there.

What birth stories have we had in the novel so far? What do each of them have to show us about the characters involved? Is the story of your birth always part of your own personal mythology of who you are?

So far in the novel we have learned about the births of Meridia, Patina's daughter, where Eva came from, a mention of Daniel's birth from his mother and Noah's birth. Meridia's birth made Ravenna scared to have sex again and caused Gabriel to find a mistress, Patina's daughter died and her husband found Eva to replace Patina's daughter, Eva remarked that she wished somebody had spoiled her while Daniel was in her womb and during Noah's birth, Eva sent the bees to swarm and she placed a curse on Meridia's womb.

I believe that a person's birth is a part of that person's mythology. That's why people who believe in astrology check out their astrological signs to see what the moon and stars were doing at the time they were born.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor
bookworm_gp

I thought Eva showed her true colors after the wedding when she took the gifts and I was disappointed that Meridia and Daniel didn't stand up to her. I was even more disappointed when Meridia let Eva order her around but she was probably happy about the attention after getting none in her own home. Malin is trying to be nasty but her outburst with Meridia might wake her up and show her Eva's true colors. I just hope getting a little backbone doesn't cause her to lose Daniel.
http://write-juncture.blogspot.com/
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Gail_Pruszkowski
http://www.facebook.com/gail.pruszkowski
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bookworm_gp