Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

Re: Noah

rkubie wrote:
Noah is still a young kid during these chapters, but he's growing up fast. What kinds of lessons is Noah learning from his family? Do you have any sense of what kind of person he is becoming?

Hi Everyone,

To me, Noah is an extremely intelligent little man, with a lot of trust.  However, his trust must be earned, and as in the case where Elias accidently (?) caused the injury to Noah, Noah does not easily forget or forgive.  Only by trickery, does Eva gain any kind of confidence from Noah, and that appears to be very brief and fleeting.  

At times Noah is the type of child you would expect to see for his age, that of playful and happy.  At other times, I see a very serious young man with way more knowledge for his years.  

When Eva placed the curse on Meridia during her pregnancy, I wasn't sure we were going to meet Noah, let along get to know him.  I'm wondering if he is going to be Eva's undoing.  Now that would be on interesting turn of events.

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

Sassy398 wrote:

As for what kind of an adult... he's learning at an early age as to how to minipulate people...

so therefore he might become a controller???

Hi Sassy,

As long as he can control Eva , that could be a Good Thing. 

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

dk_phoenix wrote:

I can't say that I really got any sort of definite sense about Noah, other than being a perceptive child who responded in a way you might expect to the adults around him. Children often can tell things about a person, whether they're 'good' or 'bad' in a way that adults can't, so I thought it was very interesting how Eva picked up on that and managed to turn around his view of her.

That said, I think the other characters definitely overshadowed Noah, and it seemed that his personality often got lost among the other strong figures in the book. I wouldn't say that's a bad thing - after all, the book wasn't necessarily about Noah - but I find it hard to speculate on what kind of person he would become in the future because of it.

I, myself find it hard to pin him down.  I was wondering if anyone else had that problem. 

Scribe
vivico1

You know, I didn't feel the other characters overshadowed Noah at all. From the day of his birth there seemed to be something about him that was "special". To me, there seems to be a force in Noah, that if Eva could have won him over, game over! I don't think anyone left could stand against the two. Noah is very young, but a true observer. And for one so young, he seems to have quite the insight into not just one person but everyone.

Think of how up until now, all these adults are fighting, and trying to survive Eva's bees. And it is a battle! But they don't work on Noah and when she can't get at him because of Meridia, she sends him the bird (no pun intended lol). Think of how much he changes with that bird there, but despite this, and in the depths of it, he is still able to pull out of it and kill this wicked thing (the book leads us to believe it was him and I do). Has any adult male been able to save themselves from the bees?? Yet this is a child. He has a child's feelings at times but thats ok and as it should be. But when things are going on, no one really has to say too much to him, he knows .

This little boy is born of good and evil backgrounds and as strong as his sense of self and others are, with the few things said about him thus far. I still think he is probably the most formidable opponent for Eva yet to appear in this book, including Meridia. As with his name, he may be the one to save the few in his family worth saving, but Noah in the bible also fortold the flood, the end, the destruction to come. Maybe his birth is the turning point in this story and where things are heading towards the biggest destruction to come.

Immortal-Spirit wrote:

dk_phoenix wrote:

I can't say that I really got any sort of definite sense about Noah, other than being a perceptive child who responded in a way you might expect to the adults around him. Children often can tell things about a person, whether they're 'good' or 'bad' in a way that adults can't, so I thought it was very interesting how Eva picked up on that and managed to turn around his view of her.

That said, I think the other characters definitely overshadowed Noah, and it seemed that his personality often got lost among the other strong figures in the book. I wouldn't say that's a bad thing - after all, the book wasn't necessarily about Noah - but I find it hard to speculate on what kind of person he would become in the future because of it.

I, myself find it hard to pin him down. I was wondering if anyone else had that problem.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
LoBugs
0 Kudos

It's going to be very interesting to see how he turns out in the end because in his early years his love is used as a weapon between Meridia and Eva. He is sometimes rewarded for bad behavior to earn his affection away from another family member. This has to give a young child mixed messages. Time will tell if he learns or his mother teaches him the right way to behave before he takes on the bad behaviors of his family.   
Lobugs
Wordsmith
kiakar

LoBugs wrote:
It's going to be very interesting to see how he turns out in the end because in his early years his love is used as a weapon between Meridia and Eva. He is sometimes rewarded for bad behavior to earn his affection away from another family member. This has to give a young child mixed messages. Time will tell if he learns or his mother teaches him the right way to behave before he takes on the bad behaviors of his family.   

As was with Noah and his family, it still stands today in our life. With so much tension, anger and hatred floating around Noah, it has to affect him growing up. Maybe he will be cautious to who he is close too and who he really confines in. And Noah seems like a very smart little boy and will figure out  who to play against who to come out on top. A small child's senses are very mature and they can very well figure out tension and anger between people. There for awhile he didn't want to have anything to do with Eva, he had to sense her evil hatred outlook for her Mom and sense also the control she wanted from Daniel.  Maybe he was trying to fight off all the evil when he screamed and cried for so many days when he was small. He loved his Mother and he cared alot about his Dad also.  Yes, it is to wonder what he will be like when he is older.
Frequent Contributor
GnANorman

Noah, like most children, seems able to identify what he needs to do to get what he wants.  He also seems to have a keen intuition for who to trust (Meridia) and who to be fearful of (Eva).  As he grows, it will be interesting to see how the various forces influencing his life will effect him emotionally, spiritually and physically.
Distinguished Correspondent
lmpmn

I think Noah loves his mother fiercely and selflessly.  He really loved that bird, but when he realized it was making her sick he immediately wrung the thing's neck.  As he grows I think he'll do other things to protect his mother even if it means making a sacrifice on his part.
Happiness is a warm blanket!
Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

Noah is very observant and takes advantage of the adults in his life.  Early on - he gains Meridia's attention - by his constant crying and inability or refusal to nurse.  Daniel consoles his son by buying expensive formula but Noah still refused to sleep.  Noah divided his parents by pushing them apart (although their crumbling marriage did not need much help).  Noah did not like Eva and even when he was tricked by her -- it did not last for long.  Noah did not like Elias after the injury -- Noah could not forget nor forgive the harm his grandfather caused him.  Noah seemed to really like Ravenna.  Noah reacted to Gabriel much like Meridia did when she was a young child.

Noah is a complicated character in many ways -- the toy rabbit incident shows how manipulative a child can be at such a young age.  Noah may manipulate others -- however, he has had a lot of lessons taught to him from the diverse collection of adults that are part of his life.

Contributor
AKWillett

kiakar wrote:

Maybe he was trying to fight off all the evil when he screamed and cried for so many days when he was small. He loved his Mother and he cared alot about his Dad also.  Yes, it is to wonder what he will be like when he is older.

I had considered this too. Even though he is just a baby, he seems to have a clear sense of who in his family is bad (Eva) and who is good (Meridia, Ravenna, Elias, etc). I had wondered if his need to be so close to Meridia in the beginning was due to a feeling that he needed to protect her? Meridia and Ravenna sensed the bees in the room during his birth - maybe he did too, even though he was still in the womb, and knew they were hurting his mother. Although, I'm probably reading too much into it and it is just the normal need of a baby to be close to his mother. 

Distinguished Correspondent
TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
Noah is still a young kid during these chapters, but he's growing up fast. What kinds of lessons is Noah learning from his family? Do you have any sense of what kind of person he is becoming?

Noah is a child who is trapped in the drama of his family's self absorptions and quarrels. I get the feeling that he is a child who distances himself from these petty arguments and doesn't take sides knowingly until he sees the adults playing each other. This is a tactic learned but I think he also sees the results and finds them distasteful even at his age. As he grows in years, he seems to be taking on Daniel & Elias' trend for escapism and people pleasing.