Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Orchard Street

Hi all,

Please use any of the following questions to discuss Orchard Street!

What are the characteristics of the Orchard Street house?

What do you think is Patina's true story?

Why are the roses and marigolds at war in the front yard?

What are the magical plagues of this household?

On Monarch and on Orchard Street, what is most responsible for the overall atmosphere of each house?

How do each of the inhabitants fit in here?

Is this house a home any more than Monarch Street was to Meridia?

What will it be like for Meridia and Daniel to live on Willow? Do you get a sense of that atmosphere and how it may change?

dhaupt

Re: Orchard Street

The Orchard street house is always in camouflage, looking prettily rumpled but has constant evil lurking about.

I think Patina's true story is the one that Pilar told.

Maybe the war of the roses and marigolds represent the struggle between Eva and Patina since the marigolds took over right before Patina's episode in the yard.

The magical plagues of this house are the bees, and Patina's loss and suffering. 

Good question Rachel, what is most responsible for the atmosphere of each house. I'm going to have to guess at this point and say it's the combined feelings of each homes inhabitants.

Orchard street is no more a home than Monarch, there is strife in each and tragedy and betrayals and suffering.

I'm hoping the house on Willow will be a home and embrace Meridia and Daniel into it's arms, but we all see the way of good intentions, so we'll have to wait and see how Willow stacks up. 

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB

I believe that Pilar told the true story of what happened to Patina.

The roses and marigolds  at war represent the war that will be waged between Meridia and Eva. The Marigolds are Meridia started to spread her brightness into the lives of those at Orchard street. 

The 'magical' plagues of the house are the bees, the smell of roses and the strenght of Patina's suffering in the presence of Eva.

In both houses, the woman (eva and Ravenna) are most responsible for the atmosphere of the house.

I think that only Eva fits in here. The rest are just her workers.

This house is no more a home to Mridia than Monach street.

Hopefully, Willow street will become a home to them. Outside the direct influence of their families, maybe they will survive.

No sense yet of what it will be like - both sets of in-laws still present.

Frequent Contributor
love2readSZ
0 Kudos

I like your thinking that the roses and the marigolds represent the war between Meridia and Eva.  Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

The Orchard Street house was an unassuming two-story of wood and exposed brick. There was a disorder about the house - dry grass sprouted from the eaves, a bird's nest on the roof, and moss and lichen were growing all over the bricks. A wilderness of red roses nurtured with loving hands covered the front lawn without a space for a clump of marigolds to survive.  Even though the house was not with grace and beauty it gave off a feeling of warmth. It had wide and inviting windows, caged birds sang from the terrace with two rocking chairs facing each other. Also a large mastiff lived next door.

Daniel and Pilar, Patina's sister, told Meridia that Patina is Eva's step-mother. Patina's real daughter died from malaria when she was a year old. Patina's husband, who was a goldsmith, went about town looking for a baby girl for Patina to love. The baby that he brought home was Eva. Sixteen years later, eight days after the goldsmith died, a woman showed up at Patina's home claiming that she was Eva's mother. When Eva heard about the woman she was very angry when she found out that she wasn't Patina's real daughter. Patina denied everything and that day Patina's feet began to twist like vines from her guilt. Patina's guilt, led her to serve Eva like a servant and Patina gave her the house and jewelry business that she inherited from her husband, the goldsmith.

Eva believed that an evil spirit was causing the marigolds to take over the roses. Eva had a superstitious habit of cutting fresh roses to hang above the shop door. She felt that the business would fold if she wasn't able to take the roses to the jewelry store daily. She believed that the marigolds posed a direct threat to the family fortune.

The most noticeable plague is Eva's use of the bees to get her husband's attention. She also uses them against Meridia while she is pregnant with Noah.

The marigolds trying to take over the roses seems like another plague which Eva believes will destroy their jewelry business.

Also Eva uses the scent of the roses to mask the drone of the bees and Meridia uses the scent of the verbena to try to keep Eva away.

On Monarch and on Orchard Street, what is most responsible for the overall atmosphere of each house?

On Monarch Street the overall atmosphere is caused by the fact that Ravenna tried to kill Gabriel after he took on his mistress.

On Orchard Street the overall atmosphere is caused when Eva finds out that she is not the real daughter of Patina.

How does each of the inhabitants fit in here?

Eva seems like the queen bee. Elias just wanted to be left alone to read his books. Permony and her father had a good relationship. This bothered Eva because her favorite was Malin who Eva thought was so much smarter and prettier than Permony. Daniel just wanted to go to work and enjoy being married to Meridia. Gablian and Patina did most of the cooking. Patina was made to be Eva's servant because of her guilt.

The house on Orchard Street was more of a home than Monarch St. because it was warm, bustling, practical and simple. Meridia picked up many household skills here.

What will it be like for Meridia and Daniel to live on Willow? Do you get a sense of that atmosphere and how it may change?

Meridia and Daniel will be a lot happier in the Willow Street home as long as they keep Eva away.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy

rkubie wrote:

Hi all,

Please use any of the following questions to discuss Orchard Street!

How do each of the inhabitants fit in here?

It is interesting that when I think about the Monarch Street house I see a Victorian English or American house, but the Orchard Street house feels Asian to me. This may be nothing more than the difference in neighborhoods, or possibly it is different cultures. The Willow Street house is different, but I haven't read enough to really get a feel for it. I'm hoping that by the end of the book, Meridia has been able to turn it into the home that she has always wanted.

I think that the roses symbolize Eva and the merigolds Meridia. Meridia has invaded Eva's territory and has brought her own influence to the house. Eva is afraid the Meridia will take over, or change things, the same way that the merigolds are threatening the roses.

We don't have Patina's true story yet. There is truth in Pilar's story, but it's not the whole truth. Right now, I'm thinking that when Meridia learns the truth about Patina, she will have the information that she needs to finally deal with Eva.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Frequent Contributor
booksJT
0 Kudos

The Orchard street house is beautiful when seen from the outside but there are evil spirits that surround the house.

I think Patina's true  story is that she lost a child and couldn't  carry anymore. Patina's husband knew the only way to help her would try and get her another child.

The Marigolds and Roses are at war because Eva removed Patina's child from it's burial ground.

The magical plagues in the house are the bees that appear when Eva is upset  along with Patina's loss of her daughter's (Eva) love.

In the Monarch and Orchard house their is deceit and tragedy. I don't consider either one of them a real  home because of the suffering caused by the parents.

Eva is in charge of her household. While everyone else just follows the law that she puts down. Elias just cares about his books while Permony wants to stay clear of her mother's wrath.  Malin on the other hand has her mother's devotion. Daniel is just a momma's boy because he believes everything Eva has to say.

No the Orchard isn't. In the beginning it appeared to be warm and friendly. After the marigolds took over Eva's gardens she became difficult to get along with.  After the marigolds took over Eva's garden she became curt towards Daniel and Meridia. She was like a witch on a broom. She started monitoring their spending.

Willow street will be a much warmer atmosphere for the couple. Meridia and Daniel will be able to set the grounds as long as they don't let Eva's bees in.

Distinguished Correspondent
emmagrace
0 Kudos

I feel so horrible for Patina! It seems like she feels like she deserves the treatment she receives from Eva. There is definitely more to her story!!

I think that the war between the marigolds and roses is like a fight between good and evil. The roses are evil and the marigolds are trying to destroy the evil(if that makes any sense).

The biggest plague is Eva and her bees. She is slowly destroying everyone around her.

If anything, Orchard street is so much worse than Monarch. At least Meridia could be invisible at the Monarch home.

I think that because Willow Street is her home, Meridia will do so much better there! At least she has some control over what goes on within her walls.

Scribe
DSaff

The Orchard Street house seems very cramped to me. Maybe it is due to the fact that Eva needs control over everything all the time, but things seem very close. It doesn't seem inviting because there doesn't seem to be room for anything or anyone new. It felt like the walls were closing in as I was reading about conversations or mealtimes. I'm not sure how Daniel convinced Eva to let Meridia in. This house has a story to tell and I hope we get to find it out.

The war between the roses and marigolds was fun to read because it upset Eva so much. Then, when I read about the baby that had been buried there, I thought that there was much more to it. Maybe the marigolds represent Patina's quest for the place near her for her daughter. That would certainly fight the control Eva is exerting over the spot with the roses. What if the little girl was never really moved?  Either way, Eva wants control even over the lamenting of a mother.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat

PiperMurphy wrote:

I think that the roses symbolize Eva and the merigolds Meridia. Meridia has invaded Eva's territory and has brought her own influence to the house. Eva is afraid the Meridia will take over, or change things, the same way that the merigolds are threatening the roses.

We don't have Patina's true story yet. There is truth in Pilar's story, but it's not the whole truth. Right now, I'm thinking that when Meridia learns the truth about Patina, she will have the information that she needs to finally deal with Eva.

I really like your comment about the marigolds threatening the roses as Meridia does Eva. I didn't have any ideas about the flowers and yours is a good one!

I agree with you that we don't know the whole story of Patina.  There is almost always a thread of truth in lies and different perceptions by all involved.

Tcat

Inspired Correspondent
tabcat

rkubie wrote:

I think the matriarchs of the houses are responsible for the atmospheres.  The fathers are passive.  Gabriel by his absences and Elias by ignoring Eva's behavior to benefit himself. The mist and cold describe Ravenna's personality and the bees show Eva's agressiveness.

Tcat

Scribe
vivico1

I think Patina's true story is what her sister says, with maybe some more mixed to it. No one in this story really has the truth of each other totally, but then don't we all have our ideas of the truth of things? It kind of makes the book more interesting in the sense that I am not sure we will really know any of the characters until the end. Each one has new facets to their lives as you go along.

I do believe the Marigolds and Roses are at war because Meridia is there. What I find interesting is that if the Roses represent Eva and her smell is that of dying roses and since roses are a very beloved beautiful flower, was Eva that at one time? Was she really a rose who has now turned to a vile thorn covered, putrid representation of what she once was? The Merigolds representing Meridia would make sense too because Merigolds can thrive among some of the harshest conditions and doesn't Meridia. Speaking of smells tho, how the roses smell of death, you know Merigolds are often grown in with vegetables to help keep insects out, that would eat away the fruit and have a smell unpleasant to them. Hmm, think about that too, keeping the insects away from the fruit....like trying to keep the bees away from the fruit of Meridias' womb which they are trying to destroy?

Who is responsible for the overall atmosphere of each house. Yes I would agree its Eva and Ravenna but at the same time, they all are and most certainly so are the men, Gabriel and Elias.

The houses have taken on the emotions and attitudes of the couples who live there and so I think that the little house that needs a lot of love on Willow Street, will take on the attitude of Meridia and Daniel and will become what they make it.

Wouldn't it be interesting if our houses really did take on the appearance of those who live inside and who they were? What would our own houses look like from the outside, would they be inviting or scare people off? Do you remember the book and movie, The Portrait of Dorian Grey?? The houses here are a lot like that hidden picture, showing the truth of who Dorian was.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
libralady

I think the roses are definitely representative of Eva.  I am leaning toward the marigolds representing Meridia, although I am not 100% of this.  One of the reasons that Eva was so upset when the marigolds seemed to be taking over is that she felt like she was losing her family to Meridia.  Obviously she and Daniel were married, but Permony had grown close to her and Elias seemed to like her (in the beginning) as well.  She may have felt that Meridia would some day take her place as head of the household.  Eva was truly head of the household because Elias did not stand up to her at all.  Actually, the only person who seemed to do what she pleased with no consequences was Malin.
"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

The question I chose to comment to in this section of the discussion is the question of:  On Monarch and on Orchard Street what is most responsible for the overall atmosphere of each house?

With that said, let me first of all state that I found that the two houses are at war.  Not only do we have the mists on Monarch and the Bees on Orchard Street, but the inhabitants of their respective homes are also in battle.   

When Meridia married Daniel and moved into Orchard Street, she left all the magical things such as the moving staircase , mirrors and mists behind, only to find that she is now living with a very strange garden and bees.  The garden itself is at war with itself between the Marigolds and the Roses.  The bees themselves are there to torment.  In either case between the two houses, I would rate them as equally bad.  

I guess I would say that the most responsible for Monarch Street , to me would be the mists, as the ivory mists poses a threat to anyone who approaches, while the Yellow and Blue Mists hide and transport people.  As for Orchard Street, I'm going with either Eva or the Bees, which I believe are one in the same.  They torment everyone, especially Elias and then Meridia during childbirth.

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

love2readSZ wrote:
I like your thinking that the roses and the marigolds represent the war between Meridia and Eva.  Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I hadn't thought of the roses and marigolds representing Meridia and Eva either but it does kind of make sense.  I was kind of hung up on Patina.
dhaupt

emmagrace wrote:

I feel so horrible for Patina! It seems like she feels like she deserves the treatment she receives from Eva. There is definitely more to her story!!

Me too and I hope we get to learn the "real" story of her. 

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

I like how you look at the marigolds and roses and agree in both houses the women are the MOST responsible.

CathyB wrote:

I believe that Pilar told the true story of what happened to Patina.

The roses and marigolds  at war represent the war that will be waged between Meridia and Eva. The Marigolds are Meridia started to spread her brightness into the lives of those at Orchard street. 

The 'magical' plagues of the house are the bees, the smell of roses and the strenght of Patina's suffering in the presence of Eva.

In both houses, the woman (eva and Ravenna) are most responsible for the atmosphere of the house.

I think that only Eva fits in here. The rest are just her workers.

This house is no more a home to Mridia than Monach street.

Hopefully, Willow street will become a home to them. Outside the direct influence of their families, maybe they will survive.

No sense yet of what it will be like - both sets of in-laws still present.

CAG
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Viv,

What an insightful analysis - I especially liked your line:

No one in this story really has the truth of each other totally, but then don't we all have our ideas of the truth of things?

AND -  I love the comparison to Dorian Grey!

Dawn

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Thank you Dawn :smileywink: I just thought of Dorian Grey when I was writing that too and how much it seemed true to me. That was an interesting story too as a matter of fact!

Deltadawn wrote:

Viv,

What an insightful analysis - I especially liked your line:

No one in this story really has the truth of each other totally, but then don't we all have our ideas of the truth of things?

AND - I love the comparison to Dorian Grey!

Dawn

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Yes, I agree, it was a very interesting story, too! I do love the comparison.... :smileyhappy: