Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN

Re: Orchard Street

What are the characteristics of the Orchard Street house?

1) What do you think is Patina's true story?

I believe that Patina's child died and to comfort her -- her husband found or bought a poor woman's child to replace what Patina lost.  Patina was very happy and raised Eva as her own... it was not until Eva's real mother came looking (probably for more money) did Eva turn against her.  Patina felt so guilty and unfortunately made some poor decisions in order to make Eva happier -- however, these decisions only worked against Patina and now Patina has to "live in the bed -- she made"

2) Why are the roses and marigolds at war in the front yard?

I believe the war did not begin until Meridia began asserting herself --- the roses represent Eva and the marigolds represent Meridia.

3) What are the magical plagues of this household?

The bees (or I like to think of it as the nagging on Eva's part) is the plague that dominates this house.

4) On Monarch and on Orchard Street, what is most responsible for the overall atmosphere of each house?

A house's or as I would prefer the home's atmosphere is a direct reflection on the mother... Who in your home cleans, does laundry, cooks, etc,... What happens when mom is sick?...Oh yeah, that is right ... mom's can't get sick. 

Ravenna makes the home on Monarch Street very cold and darker to symbolize the relationship between her and Gabrial.

Eva makes the home on Orchard Road warmer since bees pollinate flowers and that can only happen if it is warmer... also I think of a nagging old woman and all the hot air spewing out of her mouth -- just like a swarm of bees on a hot summer day.

How do each of the inhabitants fit in here?

5) Is this house a home any more than Monarch Street was to Meridia?

At first Meridia thinks so .... but she figures out that it is more of a prison than she lived in before -- only Orchard Road is like a prison where they sentence you to hard labor.

6) What will it be like for Meridia and Daniel to live on Willow? Do you get a sense of that atmosphere and how it may change?

Meridia and Daniel will be able to live on their own, be independent and gain the maturity they both need.

In this book -- the atmosphere can shift like the mists on a cool spring day... only time will tell.

Contributor
Randie_CC
0 Kudos

Is this house a home any more than Monarch Street was to Meridia?

I think that both houses represent a stage in her development, but neither can really be called a home for her.  In each she struggles to find a sense of herself in relation to those she lives with, but it isn't until she moves out that she discovers who she really is and what she is capable of doing.

Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

"House" refers to a building. Size and substance matter. A very large building with many rooms is a "mansion." A small, poorly constructed building might be called a "shack." It would be incorrect to call a mansion, shack or an apartment a house.

"Home" refers to the building that you live in, but more correctly it can refer to where you reside.  Home is what you make it --- some are warmer and more inviting than others.  But it all comes down to what the occupants make it.

Distinguished Correspondent
TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

What are the characteristics of the Orchard Street house?

Orchard Street reeks of unrestrained overabundance.

What do you think is Patina's true story?

Patina's true story is a sad one.

Why are the roses and marigolds at war in the front yard?

I believe the roses represent Eva and the marigolds represent Merida.

What are the magical plagues of this household?

Eva's bees, Patina's condition, Eva's roses, Elias' fantasy worlds.

On Monarch and on Orchard Street, what is most responsible for the overall atmosphere of each house?

The mothers/wives are most responsible.

How do each of the inhabitants fit in here?

The men are passive escapists and the females serve as Eva's minions in one way or another.

Is this house a home any more than Monarch Street was to Meridia?

This house is no home to Merida.

What will it be like for Meridia and Daniel to live on Willow? Do you get a sense of that atmosphere and how it may change?

Willow appears in disrepair and is small as well as cramped. It will be financially difficult for a while but hopefully, they will have peace from the interfering in-laws. Perhaps the atmosphere of the house will eventually take on Merida's personality.

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

I'm not sure how Daniel convinced Eva to let Meridia in.

Money opens many doors.

TRJ4SQ
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Wouldn't it be interesting if our houses really did take on the appearance of those who live inside and who they were? What would our own houses look like from the outside, would they be inviting or scare people off?

Do you remember the book and movie, The Portrait of Dorian Grey?? The houses here are a lot like that hidden picture, showing the truth of who Dorian was.

An interesting thought...Sometime grief, saddness or illness is apparent by the appearance of the house exterior (and interior). The person who owned my house before me had a terrible car accident in which a groom was killed just hours after his wedding. Many in town blamed this former owner. He turned from renovations/repair to mass destruction after that. I'm not sure what happened to him but he is nowhere around here now.

An excellent comparison with Dorian Grey!