Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Starting a Family

In what ways does this severe break up of Meridia and Daniel from their in-laws serve to help them start out on their own?

Do you see any plagues that might attach themselves to this small household yet?

What do you make of the story of Noah's birth?

Has Meridia developed into a formidable mother-character in her own right? Is she now strong enough to face down her parents and her in-laws?

What about Daniel? How strong a character has he turned out to be?

If you were the seer, what are your predictions for the start of this little family? (For those sticking to the weekly reading schedule!)

Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36

Re: Starting a Family

As with everything that has happened to this couple so far, I believe that they will have their hands full with Noah. Eva will be an evil presence and I don't know if Meridia and Daniel will have the strength to stay together through this. But children sometimes can help bring people together so there is always the off chance that this will bring both sides together to bring Noah along in a healthy manner. 

Meridia may have brought on the difficult birth by her belief in the curse. I do believe that curses only have power if you give them power and Meridia certainly did that in spades.

I think that Meridia will become the mother she should have had. With any luck both she and Daniel will do what it takes to protect Noah from whatever evil may come his way.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I do not believe someone can put a curse on other people but if you believe it, negative things will happen to you. Eva was a very strong force, she was the mother in law from the worst hell I ever imagined. It seemed impossible for anyone to be that devious and evil to others especially your own family. It did seem like she was mentally deranged. She really believed all the things she had glued up in her head. Yes, definitely it was bees buzzing and stinging when that lady was around. But all said, it made an astounding read the way Erick described and wrote so vividly how this woman operated.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

In what ways does this severe break up of Meridia and Daniel from their in-laws serve to help them start out on their own?

Like I voiced before, I do not believe in curses but I am sure Meridia believed that is what happened but since her mother had such a difficult time having her maybe it was something that happened within that family. She did have a terrible labor and I was so afraid Noah was going to die. I was so scared for Meridian and Daniel that they would loose Noah. So glad they didn't but then she couldn't have anymore children from the scarring. And also Noah seems to  be a difficult child also. Alot of stress had to be a burden on the young couple coping with Noah and with the horrible mother in law. Daniel couldn't stand Ravenna, wow, I don't think he ever really comphrehended what a witch and devil in disquise his mother was. And Ravenna was only trying to protect her daughter from anymore hurt she had to endure when she pushed Daniel out of their home. Why can't he forgive her. ?  

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

Do you see any plagues that might attach themselves to this small household yet?

Has Meridia developed into a formidable mother-character in her own right? Is she now strong enough to face down her parents and her in-laws?

If you were the seer, what are your predictions for the start of this little family? (For those sticking to the weekly reading schedule!)

I believe that Meridia was a strong person in the beginning. She stood up to her father that forbid her to wed Daniel and she was so into Daniel's family that she couldn't believe the witch Eva turned out to be. But when she finally realized this was not fantasy but Eva was for real a nasty person she stood up to her rigidly. 

Daniel was weak like his father was. It seemed Eva knew how to control them and made them think that she was always right and no one's else's judgment mattered.  I think Daniel wanted to stand up for Meridia but I do not believe Daniel really believed Eva was lying as much as she lied.  

dhaupt

The break with the in-laws showed me how much Meridia and Daniel love each other, for Meridia to have put up with Eva and her evil for as long as she did and for Daniel to go to Meridia time and time again even with Ravenna's wrath toward him.

The story of Noah's birth reminds me a little of Meridia's birth with all the complications, but it was comforting to see how the birth brought Daniel and Meridia even closer together. At this point if Eva could be burned at the steak every one's problems would go away.

I think Meridia is going to be a force to be reckonned with as a mother, she now has some one who relies completely on her for his life and well being and watch out to any one who has an ill effect on him.

At this point Daniel has been a knight in shinning armor for me, even though he has lived with his parents all of his life he takes the word and side of his lady-love. We'll see how well he upholds that in the future.

If I were a seer I would see dark clouds and a stormy future for our little family. 

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

This was a necessary step in the process of maturing. They needed to show that they are capable of makig their own decisions and would stand up for one another - that they have each become the center or most important person to one another.

Do you see any plagues that might attach themselves to this small household yet?

No. The plagues are only the things that you create. This is a fresh start.

It was traumatic.

Has Meridia developed into a formidable mother-character in her own right?

Not yet.

Is she now strong enough to face down her parents and her in-laws?

Has already done so but, I will stay say no; otherwise, there is no need for the additional chapters. I suspect that the story would be over at that point.

Daniel is at the start of beginning to find himself and the strength he possesses - he still needs more.

They will have issues with the in-laws. They will have issues amongst themselves - the not being able to have more kidsand the secrecy tat has started around that.

Frequent Contributor
booksJT
0 Kudos

With everything that has happened to Daniel and Meridia I think Noah would be a blessing. Noah will bring Meridia and Daniel closer.

Noah's birth was strange. Meridia believed everything she heard from Eva that is why she had such a difficult birth. This was all in her mind and she let it take over. As one of the readers said if you believe in something strong enough then it will happen.

Meridia will become a good mother to her son. I think she is strong enough to fight her parents and in-laws. She knows how to defend herself against the curses.

I think Daniel has proved himself to be a man. He no longer believes everything his mother tells  him and he defends his wife.

My predictions are they will struggle at first but they will succeed in the end.

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER

I think I held my breath throughout the entire section regarding Noah's birth...what a relief to read that Meridia and Daniel have begun the adventure of a lifetime...being parents. If this story does not end "happily ever-after" I will not be able to ever read another book.

Meridia showed her strength when she left her father's house and when she left her father-in-laws house. There is no doubt Meridia will now face down all obsticles.

Daniel is finally growing a spine...about time.

As I said, this story had better end; well no need to repeat myself.

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.

rkubie wrote:

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Inspired Contributor
dclement04

Everytime I read the story while these two were still living in Daniel's parents home I felt very heavy and just felt like I couldn't breathe. I don't know if that was because they felt restricted and suffocated, but once they broke out and moved into their own home, that feeling went away for me and I started to feel light and didn't have this cloud and negative energy over my head anymore. It was very weird. I don't know maybe somewhere in my past life I could relate to this story in a way.

I am so happy for them that they have a place of their own and that now Meridia can feel empowered to tell Eva her thoughts because she is in her home now.

Its good to see that Meridia is involved in the jewelry business helping out when she can because I did not want this story to just portray her as a housewife... I think the work and the family life is good for her. It gives her a sense of longing to want to achieve and do better things.

Good stuff...

Danielle

Distinguished Correspondent
emmagrace
0 Kudos

The breakup from the in-laws helped them to become independent and find other ways to thrive. You can see an improvement in their marriage already.

I am not seeing any plagues yet. I am sure Eva has a plan in the works however.

I was so worried throughout the story of Noah's birth. I am so glad that Ravenna was there to save her daughter from that evil woman and her bees.

Meridia is very strong and I think that she can face her parents and in-laws. She has already come such a long way. I feel that she will fight hard to protect her family.

Daniel has come a long way as well. He still has such a long way to go in terms of his mother. He really needs to stay away from her!

Scribe
DSaff

The severe breakup with Daniel's parents is the only thing that could save Daniel and Meridia's love. If they had continued to be pushed down, continued to be subservient, they would never have become adults. Children should be raised to fly, not to be subservient to their parents. We should be there to help, not hinder their growth. I think by taking this step, Daniel and Meridia can keep the respect for their parents yet become  a couple in their own right. They needed to do something drastic to force Meridia to use the lessons her mother had taught her and to help Daniel develop his backbone. Challenge either breaks us or makes us stronger. Here, the challenge definitely makes them stronger.

I don't know what to think about Noah's birth except that something horrible happened to Meridia. Did Noah rip and tear his way out? Was more cutting done than we think in order to save Meridia and Noah? I don't think the bees were real, but rather the constant irritation of having Eva in the room. It literally tore Meridia up to know that the woman who wished her ill was in the room for a blessed event. In the end, Noah is born a perfect little boy and Meridia can't have more children. But, with the arrival of Noah, I think we will see more strength and power come from Daniel and Meridia in their love for each other and their son. I think that will be their magic.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
LoBugs
0 Kudos

The break up helps Meridia and Daniel to start living their life together by their own rules, not by a set of rules put in place by one of their families.

The two mothers are still battling to try and keep the other from having any influence over the new house. Mother's who think their young are in danger can be a very dangerous!

It seemed that Eva wants to kill two birds with one stone. We know she would love to get rid of Meridia, and I think that she is afraid that this new baby will draw Daniels attention even further away from his loving mother. I think that this is why she tries to stop the birth of Noah with the bees. I also wonder if a woman who gives birth to a son gains some kind of power from the sons devotion to their mother. 

Meridia managed to servive the bees and deliver a son.  She has found her inner strength and seen the beauty in Noah,  that can come from using that strength. I think she has the strength to handle her parents and her in-laws, I just hope she uses it wisely.

Daniel is stronger, but I'm not convinced that he has enough in him to stand up to his mother on his own. He is still more likely to try and avoid her rather than confront her.

I would like to see a happy ending. However, the way this book started does not leave me much hope for happily ever after.

Lobugs
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

As others here have stated, Meridia and Daniel had to make a major break from their in-laws in order for their relationship to survive.

Yes, Meridia has definitely developed into a strong and formidable mother-character in her own right and I believe she would be strong enough to face down anyone.

Daniel is developing into a stronger character than he was earlier in the book.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

rkubie wrote:

I believe that Meridia was a strong person in the beginning. She stood up to her father that forbid her to wed Daniel and she was so into Daniel's family that she couldn't believe the witch Eva turned out to be. But when she finally realized this was not fantasy but Eva was for real a nasty person she stood up to her rigidly. 

Daniel was weak like his father was. It seemed Eva knew how to control them and made them think that she was always right and no one's else's judgment mattered.  I think Daniel wanted to stand up for Meridia but I do not believe Daniel really believed Eva was lying as much as she lied.  

I agree Kiakar!
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Contributor
Cata821

When they break away, they have to rely on themselves. This brought them closer as husband and wife. Also, once they broke away from their in-laws, they no longer had to conform to others' ideas of marriage, husband, and wife. Meridia and Daniel were free to explore and decide how their marriage should be and what being a husband and wife meant to them. It made them extremely happy, in a way they had never been happy before.

Inspired Contributor
fifenhorn

I think it's unfortunate that it took Gabriel's intervention to allow the family to split - his ultimatum allowed the family out from Eva's roof, which was a step in the right direction.

Meridia shows her strength by fighting for all the things that Gabriel set up for her. Believing this was her last chance and that she would NEVER be allowed back into her father's house, she knew she had to make this work and would fight to the death for it.  Unfortunately, Eva is cunning and can find cracks in even the strongest foundation.  I've come to liken her bees to what we refer to as negative self-talk. She starts the negativity and allows it to fester...pours a little salt in the raw wounds and pushes...ever so innocently, to get the "bees" buzzing. 

The baby's birth was horrific...but anything that happened is likely because Meridia believed in curses that didn't exist.  Eva was there...there wasn't anyone with the strength (other than Meridia) to keep her out...and she was making the "bees buzz" with her subtle suggestions...she may have suggested there was a curse...she was likely quietly stating that Meridia wouldn't be able to survive the birth, that she'd give birth to a monster, etc, etc. Any and all these things can be so harmful to the fragile psyche of a woman in labor (been there, done that, lol!).

Frequent Contributor
love2readSZ
0 Kudos

Cata821 wrote:

When they break away, they have to rely on themselves. This brought them closer as husband and wife. Also, once they broke away from their in-laws, they no longer had to conform to others' ideas of marriage, husband, and wife. Meridia and Daniel were free to explore and decide how their marriage should be and what being a husband and wife meant to them. It made them extremely happy, in a way they had never been happy before.

These are my sentiments exactly.  When my husband and I were first married and he was in the Navy we were assigned to a base in Spain.  To me this made our marriage stronger because we did have to rely on each other and we were without the negative influences of the in-laws.

Inspired Correspondent
jclay26

It seems that the break from both sets of in-laws is allowing Meridia and Daniel to view life from a different perspective. They are each growing in their own unique ways - Meridia learning how to be successful at selling/marketing and Daniel learning how to stand on his own especially with regards to finances. They are building their own nest egg and they are learning how to be independent of others and dependent on each other. It seems they are growing into adulthood and doing a great job. This is especially evident when Daniel finally stands up to his mother after he finds out she has paid a little boy to spy on their every move. He is beginning to come around - think about how he is changing the numbers in the books to confuse his mother and keep her at bay as well as put aside money for his family.

Noah's birth was very interesting for me. I was not sure what was going to happen and it kept me on edge. I was fascinated how at the very last moment Ravenna finally saw the bees and got rid of them. I was also intrigued by the fawn Meridia and Daniel had found was an omen of what was to come during Noah's birth. I have to wonder now if they should not have crossed the spirits that day at the festival. How will Meridia react to this child now that she knows he will be her only child? Will there be a divide between Meridia and Daniel now that Eva is aware that Meridia cannot have any more children? It seems Eva has gained back a bit of her power in the relationship since she is the one that caused all of this to occur. At this point I am not sure if Meridia and Daniel will be strong enough to break away completely especially from Eva. It seemed to me at the end of chapter nineteen a new round of war was about to begin. I wonder if Eva will not have some kind of hold on Noah and his fate since she had so much control over his birth.

What you have to do...is trust your own story. Get the hell out of the way and let it tell itself. - Tim O'Brien; The Things They Carried
Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

The plague I see is the plague of Eva's bees...once infected, they sting and sting until they finally control you.  This has happened with Elias and Daniel.  I am sure that we have not seen the last of the bees.  Very few are immune to their effects! 

Some have posted that Meridia's experience with childbirth was all due to the fact that she believed in the curse, but there must have been more to it due to the fact that she is now unable to have more children.  Meridia's mind could not have influenced this physical complication. 

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper