Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN

Re: Starting a Family

1) In what ways does this severe break up of Meridia and Daniel from their in-laws serve to help them start out on their own?

It allows Meridia and Daniel to become independent and start a life of their own with each of them making the decisions... it also signifies that they are growing up and maturing.

2) Do you see any plagues that might attach themselves to this small household yet?

Yes- Eva's bees --- Meridia began to get migraines and noticed that when her mother came over that Eva did not -- she make the connection that bees do not like the smell of verbena; so Meridia purchases a bottle of verbena scent to ward of the evil spirits so to speak.

3) What do you make of the story of Noah's birth?

I figured with how Meridia came into the world and with her relationship with Eva that something was going to go wrong.  I do not believe in curses but I am aware that in some cultures that a curse is a very serious act --- so Eva's curse on Meridia was probably her way of getting rid of Meridia.  I don't think Eva wanted to harm Noah but probably hoped secretly that Meridia died in childbirth so she could raise Daniel's child like her own.

4) Has Meridia developed into a formidable mother-character in her own right? Is she now strong enough to face down her parents and her in-laws?

Meridia is stronger now but I think she will continue mature and grow more as the book continues...

5) What about Daniel? How strong a character has he turned out to be?

Daniel has become strong but he is still whipped when it comes to his mother.  He tries to be a strong husband for Meridia ... I do hope he continues to be a stronger man for his wife and son's sake.

6) If you were the seer, what are your predictions for the start of this little family? (For those sticking to the weekly reading schedule!)

No comment folks -- don't want to be scolded for a spoiler.

Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit

The severing of their in-laws gives them the push that was neededIt showed them that in order to make it, they would have to depend on themselves.

Daniel has surprised meI think he's finally seeing what his mother is trying to doBy standing up to her and telling her not to come to the shop so often, is a good first stepEven "cooking the books" is something that I didn't think he was capable of beforeBefore their breakup, he just let things go and paid no attentionI guess he now knows what he will lose if he doesn't step up and be the husband and father he's supposed to be

I don't see the plagues stopping any time soonEva isn't done with her yetBut I know she was surprised when Ravenna swatted away the beesNo one else saw them but Meridia and Ravenna.

Distinguished Correspondent
TRJ4SQ

rkubie wrote:

In what ways does this severe break up of Meridia and Daniel from their in-laws serve to help them start out on their own?

It gives them a true sense of independence. It reinforces the idea that we are all we have, we need each other and we have to make this work.

Do you see any plagues that might attach themselves to this small household yet?

The resentment that each feels for the other's mother could be a problem in the future. Eva's meddling has been a plague from the start.

What do you make of the story of Noah's birth?

There is a theory that the unborn fetus can live their mother's experiences while still in the womb and remember. Eva's bees were supposed to be inside of Merida's womb doing damage while the baby was trying to be born. I'm wondering if this could be a problem for Eva in the future.

Has Meridia developed into a formidable mother-character in her own right? Is she now strong enough to face down her parents and her in-laws?

She was strong enough to face down her in-laws to begin with. That is what started the couple's road to independence. She is still too young and motherhood too new for her to have become formidable as of yet. I am sure that she will have the natural mother instinct to nurture and protect which will make her instantly formidable in any danger situation.

What about Daniel? How strong a character has he turned out to be?

Daniel is growing stronger too. However he is still a boy and fatherhood can be tough, especially when they are strapped for money. Family interference won't help either.

If you were the seer, what are your predictions for the start of this little family? (For those sticking to the weekly reading schedule!)

I'm not sure what to predict for this couple because, as I've said before, it's a story and anything can happen. It does remind me of a very young couple who moved into our neighborhood a few months ago. You could tell that they were very young and this was their first home together. They had a young daughter and a new baby at that. It seemed like the flow of in-laws was almost constant, the boy didn't appear to want to work and it didn't take long for resentment to grow. After a couple of months, there were clothes on the front lawn and a week later, they moved out. My point...Having a new family and starting out on your own can be tough. Some make it and some don't.