Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

Welcome and Introductions

Hello! Please use this thread to introduce yourselves.
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hello Hello!  ponie here!!!  I have been hovering over the site since 10:00 my time.  At 11:00 AM (my time) registration began and I was on it like white on rice!!! :smileyvery-happy: So I am registered.  Let the book waiting dance begin!!!! :smileytongue:

I am part of the B&N Online Book Club Minneapolis MN Contingent  :smileywink:...in the previous FL there were 13 of us.  I wonder how many will be returning to this FL? 

This selection looks very interesting.  This is my 3rd FL adventure!

ponie
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi every one, I'm Debbie from a tiny town near St. Louis, MO and I've been a first looker from the start. I have enjoyed all of them and can't wait to start this one.

Just sent my pm. Hope to see a lot of old friends and new faces this time around.

Message Edited by dhaupt on 04-30-2009 12:42 PM
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone! This book looks so good and is another debut novel! I love this process. My name is Donna and I love to read. I live in Western MA with my husband and our dog Oscar. We have three sons who are grown and out of the house, so have time to enjoy reading and discussing books. I have been involved in First Look from the beginning, have found new favorite authors, and hope to be in this one as well. If you would like to see other FL selections, here is a link. Beware, this club is addicting! :smileywink:      http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-Books-First-Look-Book-Club/379000130

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, I wasn't going to reply to this thread until I got the confirmation PM but, since others are, why not! I hope that I don't jinx anything. :smileyhappy:

I was reading The Piano Teacher thread when I noticed the time and jumped right on that piece of rice! A few others were also surfing the grainy seas. :smileyvery-happy:

I've read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell  a while ago and did enjoy it. Personally, I could have done without page long footnotes but, other than that I had no complaints.

Almost forgot, my name is Cathy and I live in Central New Jersey with my husband and three children. The oldest will be going off to college in the Fall and plans on being an English professor. I have been involved in First Look from the beginning. I thank Barnes & Noble for this opportunity as I have enjoyed the books, discussions and author participation.

Looking forward to the confirmation PM, the book and the discussions!!!

CathyB

Message Edited by CathyB on 04-30-2009 12:58 PM
Inspired Contributor
kren250
0 Kudos

Hi again everyone! My name is Kelly, I'm 32 years old, and live in Iowa. This is my third First Look book. I'm really excited for this one, since it sounds like my type of book. I'm sure I'll be checking in several times a day until I get that confirmation email;-).
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

Hi again! I'm back and I have sent in my PM. I'm from beautiful Bucks County, PA. This will be my fourth First Look book and I have enjoyed them all (especially Deliverance Dane). It's really a great experience to be able to read a great book and then share in the discussion with everyone else. It's like going on a magical carpet ride and you know others are experiencing the same thing! Can't wait until my new carpet arrives!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

Hello I'm Susan and live in NH. I participated in the FL: A Fortunate Age by Joanna Smith Rakoff discussion and enjoyed the experience.

This books sounds like it is much more up my alley so I'm hoping I get the opportunity to participate. I was waiting for it to be posted so I could request my copy.

I missed out on the last book which looked amazing (The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane) so am now impatiently waiting for it to be released so I can read it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Contributor
Cyndell
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm somewhat of a newcomer. I have read a couple of First Look books, and love reading new authors and especially debut novels. I signed up for Bees of the Mist and hope that I am selected for this novel. I love books that are magical and mystical.

I love getting lost in a book.

Cyndell 

Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

This will be my fifth First Look book (should I be so lucky and receive confirmation).  I have been waiting all morning for the selection to be announced!  This book sounds really intriguing.  I can not wait to dive right in.  I am glad that we have a debut novel again.  Looking forward to a very lively discussion.  My name is Teresa and I live in Virginia.  I LOVE to read.  That's why we are here, right?  Thanks to B&N and First Look, I have had the opportunity to read books that I would have otherwise missed! 

"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

It's me, Vivian from Oklahoma. I have done all of the first look books but the last one. I knew I would be busy elsewhere and it wasn't one of high interest to me, so I did not sign up for it, so someone else would get the book and be in the club who did want it and had the time. Now I am back and this one sounds good and I am ready to see old friends (and new ones I hope) and discuss a book again! See you in a month! :smileywink:

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
Jennie77
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I just registered and sent my PM.  Like our last First Look selection, this too looks like it will be a good read!  I look forward to getting started and talking more with you....

Jen 

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

My name is Mike and I live in Western Massachusetts with my wonderful wife and our dog Oscar.  I have always found First Look to have some interesting and thought provoking books, and I'm sure that this next book will not let us down.  

I look forward to getting my confirmation and book and I especially look forward to another lively discussion.

Happy Reading 

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

ponie wrote:

Hello Hello!  ponie here!!!  I have been hovering over the site since 10:00 my time.  At 11:00 AM (my time) registration began and I was on it like white on rice!!! :smileyvery-happy: So I am registered.  Let the book waiting dance begin!!!! :smileytongue:

I am part of the B&N Online Book Club Minneapolis MN Contingent  :smileywink:..In the previous FL there were 13 of us.  I wonder how many will be returning to this FL? 

This selection looks very interesting.  This is my 3rd FL adventure!

Hey ponie,

I too was hovering most of the morning while checking for any unread posts.  I saw the message that the new book had been posted at 11:56AM here on the East Coast, so I immediately went up and registered.  So I guess I am also doing the book waiting dance.  

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Hello, Hello everyone!!!

One more First Look. Here I am again directly from Brazil to another FL discussion. I love books whose story is about women, their strength or generations.  Stories about love, hate, jealous, sensibility, sensitivity, victories and loss. That's a blend of ingredients a good plot needs.

I think and hope this discussion will be as productive and nice as the previous book. First looks have been like a surprise box, full of new and wonderful things and discussions have been more and more fruitful. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Hi everyone,

It's me, Vivian from Oklahoma. I have done all of the first look books but the last one. I knew I would be busy elsewhere and it wasn't one of high interest to me, so I did not sign up for it, so someone else would get the book and be in the club who did want it and had the time. Now I am back and this one sounds good and I am ready to see old friends (and new ones I hope) and discuss a book again! See you in a month! :smileywink:

Hi Vivian, welcome back. Missed you last time.

Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!  I'm Candi, and this will (hopefully) be my third FL book.  This book seems like an awesome selection, and I can't wait for my confirmation!
Candi
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.  I just signed up for this new First Look.  I hope it went through ok.

The message sent itself before I was finished putting in my data, so I had to start again.

Please let me know that I was successful.  I really enjoy these FL books.

MG

Inspired Contributor
pode
0 Kudos

I'm registered and ready to go.  The new book sounds intriguing. This will be my 3rd FL book, assuming I'm accepted.  My new daughter-in-law just registered which will make this even more interesting.

Okay, so before the next FIRST LOOK discussion starts........would someone please tell me what it means to "tag", when it's appropriate to "tag", how to "tag", why to "tag"?  I've googled but don't really get it.  (ponie, this is for you, too!)

Thank you!!!

pode

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"
â Henry Ward Beecher
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

Hello fellow readers!  I'm from northwest NJ and have 3 teenage children. I love to read and I also belong to a neighborhood book club.  Thank you to BN for another First Look offering.  I can't wait to start.