Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

I sure am, and know it. :smileywink: But one thing, Mike isn't as old as his post made him seem!

ponie wrote:

As I recall, I think it was the Casting Call thread of TPBODD, your lovely wife spent some time ROFL-ing!!!:smileyvery-happy:  You two are something else!!! 

Yes, we do enjoy ourselves and each other.  I am lucky to have found her.  She keeps me young and energized. 

Take note DSaff, you are a lucky woman!!!!!!!:smileywink:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

Hello again! This will be my 2nd FL discussion. I am a couple of chapters short of finishing Deliverance Dane (hopefully finish reading it tonight). I really enjoyed participating in the last FL as it was an introduction to both book clubs and FL.

I am 37 and located in San Francisco.  I live here with my husband and my Cairn Terrier (think Toto), Buckley.

Goodreads ID: dinib
Distinguished Correspondent
PB684
0 Kudos

AMoriarty wrote:
Hello! My name is Anne and I'm from MA. This will be my 3rd First Look book if I signed up correctly and get the chance to read Of Bees and Mist. Speaking of signing up....I was wondering if anyone else noticed that the PM was slightly different then previous times. My other book requests went to an EDITOR at First Look. This one seemed to be sent directly to BeesMistReg mailbox. I see it in my sent folder, but I am nervous I have done something wrong. I would hate to miss out on the chance for this book because I am computer illiterate. (I have spent too many hours reading books I guess and not enough time on a pc!) If anyone can tell me if they think this sounds ok or if I should retry my registration attempt I would greatly appreciate it! I'm looking forward to another great read and a chance to discuss it with this insightful group.

Hi AMoriarty,

I noticed the same thing! I posted this question to Paul on the "How to get your free copy..." thread and I am waiting to hear. You might want to check there to see if he responds.

As long as I am here I will introduce myself to those of you who don't know me. My name is Paula and I live on Long Island. I have two almost-grown children and I work in a Kindergarten Center where I am in charge of the library. This will be my 5th First Look (if I get in) and I am excited to get started. I absolutely LOVED Physic Book and hope that this book captures me as well (sounds like it will!). I am glad to see so many of you back for another round.

Ponie, I'm doing the little brown truck dance as well!:smileyvery-happy:

PB684
Correspondent
MissShopaholic
0 Kudos

I just sent in my PM and am anxiously awaiting my confirmation.  Hope I don't Jinx anything. This will be my 2nd First Look.

I'm 27 years old but I feel like I just graduated from college yesterday.  I refuse to believe i'm getting older when i still feel like a silly kid. I live in the very southern tip of Texas and I teach Special Education in the area of English/Language Arts grades 6-8. 

After I finished reading Deliverance Dane I decided to pick up the book entitled What I Did for Love by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.  I picked up that book after i had seen that the Romance Book Club was reading it.  So far so good. I hope to have it done before my book arrives (if I submitted my request correctly).

Hope everyone is as excited as I am about participating.

Thayer
0 Kudos

Hey everyone,

I am Dawn from the great state of TN, but my heart is in New Orleans (my only son and daughter in law recently located there.)

Like many of you, I popped home from work today to register, now the hard part (aka, paranoia)  begins...waiting for confirmation and receipt of package!  You know, there are support groups for obsessions of this type.  :smileyvery-happy:   I guess this forum is ours. 

It's always a pleasure to be a part of this book club. There are so many intelligent, thought provoking discussions. It is especially enjoyable for me when the book offered is not my typical read. Can't wait to get started.

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Thayer
0 Kudos

DiniB wrote:

Hello again! This will be my 2nd FL discussion. I am a couple of chapters short of finishing Deliverance Dane (hopefully finish reading it tonight). I really enjoyed participating in the last FL as it was an introduction to both book clubs and FL.

I am 37 and located in San Francisco.  I live here with my husband and my Cairn Terrier (think Toto), Buckley.

DiniB,

I too, have a Cairn Terrier. Her name is Nola. She is my "empty nest" puppy and has been a delightful diversion. I am discovering that Cairns are a wonderful breed.

~~Dawn
Correspondent
MissShopaholic
0 Kudos

Are you guys Kidding!!?? I've been hovering over this site for weeks just to find out when the new FL would be announced.  I realized around 2pm (central time) that the book was already taking requests.  Obesession??? just a little, but i think it's a healthy one.

Glad to be among a group who feel just as passionate as I about this.

MSaff wrote:

ponie wrote:

MSaff wrote:

ponie wrote:

Hello Hello!  ponie here!!!  I have been hovering over the site since 10:00 my time.  At 11:00 AM (my time) registration began and I was on it like white on rice!!! :smileyvery-happy: So I am registered.  Let the book waiting dance begin!!!! :smileytongue:

I am part of the B&N Online Book Club Minneapolis MN Contingent  :smileywink:..In the previous FL there were 13 of us.  I wonder how many will be returning to this FL? 

This selection looks very interesting.  This is my 3rd FL adventure!

Hey ponie,

I too was hovering most of the morning while checking for any unread posts.  I saw the message that the new book had been posted at 11:56AM here on the East Coast, so I immediately went up and registered.  So I guess I am also doing the book waiting dance.  

Mike,  I have just barely rested up from our previous TPBODD adventure!!  Maybe got 2 loads of laundry done!!! :smileywink:   And now we're off again on our next ride! :smileyhappy: This looks exciting.  I've decide dust is protective coating for my furniture so I no longer remove it!!!! :smileytongue: Gives me more time to read and respond to posts!!!  :smileyvery-happy: 

ROFL

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

Hello to all my fellow First Lookers! My name is April and I'm thirty years old, living with my husband and twelve year old dog in Eastern Nebraska. This will hopefully be my fifth First Look and I have greatly enjoyed each and every one of them. My favorite by far (I think almost everyone agreed) was The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. We had some really great discussions on that board. Hope this book produces just as much enthusiasm! Can't wait to chat with you all later!
April
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

Thayer:

How was the Easter trip?  I thought of you while we were there.  We had an awesome time! Already trying to plan the next trip. 

Nancy

Thayer wrote:

Hey everyone,

I am Dawn from the great state of TN, but my heart is in New Orleans (my only son and daughter in law recently located there.)

Like many of you, I popped home from work today to register, now the hard part (aka, paranoia)  begins...waiting for confirmation and receipt of package!  You know, there are support groups for obsessions of this type.  :smileyvery-happy:   I guess this forum is ours. 

It's always a pleasure to be a part of this book club. There are so many intelligent, thought provoking discussions. It is especially enjoyable for me when the book offered is not my typical read. Can't wait to get started.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
biljounc63
0 Kudos

MSaff wrote:

ponie wrote:

Hello Hello!  ponie here!!!  I have been hovering over the site since 10:00 my time.  At 11:00 AM (my time) registration began and I was on it like white on rice!!! :smileyvery-happy: So I am registered.  Let the book waiting dance begin!!!! :smileytongue:

I am part of the B&N Online Book Club Minneapolis MN Contingent  :smileywink:..In the previous FL there were 13 of us.  I wonder how many will be returning to this FL? 

This selection looks very interesting.  This is my 3rd FL adventure!

Hey ponie,

I too was hovering most of the morning while checking for any unread posts.  I saw the message that the new book had been posted at 11:56AM here on the East Coast, so I immediately went up and registered.  So I guess I am also doing the book waiting dance.  

Hey Mike I'm from western Ma as well. I too found myself having to get some work "done" at my desk just before noon today instead of being out in the work areas actually getting work done. I hope my boss does not see this. 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Frequent Contributor
sylvia387
0 Kudos

Hi there...I'm Sylvia...proud member of the Minnesota contingency!  Holla..MN members.

This is my fifth FL Book.  I'm in Seattle at the moment and jumped on my cousin's computer at 9:00 am this morn to get my pm sent!

Looking forward to reading with all of you.

Sylvia

No expectations..No disappointments
Frequent Contributor
ethel55
0 Kudos

Hi all!  I'm from MN, where spring is finally arriving!  Missed out on the last First Look, but am looking forward to Of Bees and Mist. 
Thayer
0 Kudos

nlsamson wrote:

Thayer:

How was the Easter trip?  I thought of you while we were there.  We had an awesome time! Already trying to plan the next trip. 

Nancy

Thayer wrote:

Hey everyone,

Nancy,

Thank you for asking-we had a lovely time (although I cried most of the way home.)  My son and new daughter in law surprised me with a lovely wedding photo album for my birthday, which to me is priceless! Had a wonderful time, ate waaaaay too much (including a crawfish boil at their new home) as I always seem to do on visits there. Hoping to return in May .

What about your trip? Did you visit for Jazz Fest? Don't you think this book sounds intriguing? I, once again, am looking forward to the discussion.

~~Dawn
Inspired Contributor
gosox
0 Kudos

Hello fellow First Lookers!

My name is Helen and I live in the beautiful seacoast area of NH.I have spent the day chasing my grandson and almost forgot to sign up for this go around of First Look. After reading the introduction to our next selection, I now have a second wind! 

I am looking forward to reading this book that sounds like a great follow-up to "Deliverance Dane." 

"

As we wait for the book to come, what is everyone reading? I am presently reading and enjoying the book Mudbound   by Hillary Jordan.

Inspired Contributor
gosox
0 Kudos

Welcome back Vivian!

Welcome back Vivian!

Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

Actually we missed Jazz Fest (came home 4/20), but really enjoyed French Quarter Fest (first time,but will be back).  I agree, that makes a wonderful birthday gift, something no one else could give you.

I am really looking forward to this book.  (reminds me of my family :smileywink:)  I should be able to participate a little more in discussions this time as there are no vacations scheduled, and I think I'm a little more comfortable this time. 

Nancy,

Thank you for asking-we had a lovely time (although I cried most of the way home.)  My son and new daughter in law surprised me with a lovely wedding photo album for my birthday, which to me is priceless! Had a wonderful time, ate waaaaay too much (including a crawfish boil at their new home) as I always seem to do on visits there. Hoping to return in May .

What about your trip? Did you visit for Jazz Fest? Don't you think this book sounds intriguing? I, once again, am looking forward to the discussion.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

GoSox:

I'm actually about 20 pages away from finishing Dog On It, which a few of the other First Lookers suggested.  It's a great book. Not sure what I will pickup next.

gosox wrote:

Hello fellow First Lookers!

My name is Helen and I live in the beautiful seacoast area of NH.I have spent the day chasing my grandson and almost forgot to sign up for this go around of First Look. After reading the introduction to our next selection, I now have a second wind! 

I am looking forward to reading this book that sounds like a great follow-up to "Deliverance Dane." 

"

As we wait for the book to come, what is everyone reading? I am presently reading and enjoying the book Mudbound   by Hillary Jordan.

Contributor
Jilly
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Like everyone else, I was watching my e-mail for this announcement! This selection sounds wonderful! 

I live in a small town outside of Boise, Idaho, and I love to read.  I'm looking forward to our discussions!

Cheers,

Jill

PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

aprilh wrote:
Hello to all my fellow First Lookers! My name is April and I'm thirty years old, living with my husband and twelve year old dog in Eastern Nebraska. This will hopefully be my fifth First Look and I have greatly enjoyed each and every one of them. My favorite by far (I think almost everyone agreed) was The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. We had some really great discussions on that board. Hope this book produces just as much enthusiasm! Can't wait to chat with you all later!

Hello April,

Where do you live in Nebraska? I grew up 25 miles from Omaha, then lived in Lincoln for 20 years before moving to the Kansas City area. It's always good to hear from someone from home.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Greetings fellow First Lookers!  So many familiar names, it's always like a reunion.  I'm Lynda from NE Ohio, married with one child and will be retiring shortly so that I may concentrate on reading and posting any ole time I want.  Yippee!!  I must admit, I'm a bit apprehensive about this selection because I don't seem to have much success when bees are part of the title, ie Secret life of Bees, but I want to give it a try and dispel any funky feelings about bees that I may foster.  Happy reading.
Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 04-30-2009 10:30 PM
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire