Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

sylvia387 wrote:

Hi there...I'm Sylvia...proud member of the Minnesota contingency!  Holla..MN members.

This is my fifth FL Book.  I'm in Seattle at the moment and jumped on my cousin's computer at 9:00 am this morn to get my pm sent!

Looking forward to reading with all of you.

Hey Sylvia387!!!  The MN contingency grows...we are up to 5 known MN participants!!!
ponie
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

ethel55 wrote:
Hi all!  I'm from MN, where spring is finally arriving!  Missed out on the last First Look, but am looking forward to Of Bees and Mist. 

ethel55 you are #6 of the MN contingency!!  Welcome!!!
ponie
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nlsamson wrote:

GoSox:

I'm actually about 20 pages away from finishing Dog On It, which a few of the other First Lookers suggested.  It's a great book. Not sure what I will pickup next.

gosox wrote:

Hello fellow First Lookers!

My name is Helen and I live in the beautiful seacoast area of NH.I have spent the day chasing my grandson and almost forgot to sign up for this go around of First Look. After reading the introduction to our next selection, I now have a second wind! 

I am looking forward to reading this book that sounds like a great follow-up to "Deliverance Dane." 

"

As we wait for the book to come, what is everyone reading? I am presently reading and enjoying the book Mudbound   by Hillary Jordan.

Read Mudbound. Read Dog On it.  Liked them both.

Currently reading The Spare Room by Helen Garner.

Product DetailsFrom Publishers Weekly
Garner (Monkey Grip) employs her signature realism in this stunted novel about the infuriating and eye-opening experience of caring for a terminally ill loved one....

for more info go here:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Spare-Room/Helen-Garner/e/9780805088885/?itm=2

and have downloaded in audio book form from my library Strange Jonathan and Mr. Norrell which I plan on starting tonight.

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-14-2009 02:26 PM
ponie
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

Hello!

I'm Teresa from Ky.  Anyone coming to the Derby?

I've participated in two of the FL's including the most recent,  Physick Book. I wasn't a member when House at Riverton and Monsters of Templeton were offered, but I read and enjoyed them after discovering the B &N on line club and reading the posts.

It's been a lot of fun to read & share with other book lovers!

I'm  #3 on the waiting list at my local library for Kate Morton's newest

The Forgotten Garden  

Frequent Contributor
mooks
0 Kudos

Hi folks!

I'm a doctor in NYC, living in Brooklyn.  Before living in NYC, I'd been in New Zealand, the Philippines, and Chicago. 

I loved the last First Look selection Deliverance Dane. This is my second First Look Book Club and think that it's a brilliant idea.  Thank you so much, Barnes & Noble, Paul and Erick Setiawan.  

This book sounds excellent and I'm very excited!:smileyhappy:  

Mooks

Frequent Contributor
mooks
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Welcome Marciliogq!  It'll be great having someone from overseas in the FL discussion. It'll be interesting to hear your point of view.

The book sounds amazing - there will surely be lots to talk about and very active discussions!

Message Edited by mooks on 04-30-2009 11:59 PM
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

mooks wrote:

Welcome Marciliogq!  It'll be great having someone from overseas in the FL discussion. It'll be interesting to hear your point of view.

The book sounds amazing - there will surely be lots to talk about and very active discussions!

Thanks Mooks for your good words and welcome to the group too. I think like me everybody is very anxious for the yellow envelope in the mail box. Hope my book isn't so late as the previous that arrived when discussions had begun.
I agree with Carmenere_lady this is a group and most of the members are little by little compounding the club.

Welcome to all!!!

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hello to all of my fellow club members. Some old, some new. I am an old member of these barns and noble book clubs and I believe its my 6th new look I have read. The last First Look was so awesome, I just hope this one is half as good, if it is, it will be a winner with me! Deliverance Dante physick book by Katherine Howe was a superb novel that is doomed to be a number one seller very soon. And even a classic in time. About witches and such, it was entertaining and teaching in the same breath.

Well, I will continue with the present. This novel sounds like a winner also. It sounds magical and mystical blended all together to make  for a twinkle of a read.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Hello everyone, it's fun to come back and see so many people who have been here before.  You are all starting to feel like old friends, and I, for one, love our discussions.  I have been a member of the First Look Book Club since the first book and I love the diversity of the selections.

My name is Tarri and I live in Mount Vernon, Washington (state not DC).  I am retired, so I will have a lot of time to stand at the front door waiting for the brown truck to bring my book *crosses fingers*.  

This morning I got up and turned on the computer to sign up for the newest FL and my internet decided to go on strike, luckily I had plans for lunch so waiting was not unbearable.  

Glad to see you are back Vivian, I noticed your absence and was concerned that all might not be well with you. 

Wordsmith
ponie

I want to teach you all a song as we wait...we will all be singing it soon; as soon as confirmation is received.  It goes to the tune of Oh Where Oh Where has my little dog gone.  I'm introducing it early so we can all be ready when we need it.  It goes with the waiting for the little brown truck dance. 

Here we go...

Oh Where Oh Where is the little brown truck?

Oh Where Oh Where can it be?

Got my PM today

Confirmation has come

Now I'm waiting for my A-R-C

:smileyvery-happy:

ponie
Inspired Contributor
BDonnelly
0 Kudos

Hi!  I'm Beth and I live in upstate New York.  It's a beautiful spring here and I can't wait for my fifth FL book.  What a great experience this has been and thank you to Barnes and Noble for the opportunity.  I have two children - one away in ciollege and a junior in high school still at home.  This book sounds great.  I hope I make it and can't wait.
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Teresa. I have read The Forgotten Garden. It is well-written and I think you will love the story.  :smileyhappy:

tabcat wrote:

Hello!

I'm Teresa from Ky.  Anyone coming to the Derby?

I've participated in two of the FL's including the most recent,  Physick Book. I wasn't a member when House at Riverton and Monsters of Templeton were offered, but I read and enjoyed them after discovering the B &N on line club and reading the posts.

It's been a lot of fun to read & share with other book lovers!

I'm  #3 on the waiting list at my local library for Kate Morton's newest

The Forgotten Garden  

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

How do you like Dog On It? I loved it and can't wait to talk with the author. Spencer Quinn will be on "Center Stage" here from May 11 - 15. It should be fun.

nlsamson wrote:

GoSox:

I'm actually about 20 pages away from finishing Dog On It, which a few of the other First Lookers suggested.  It's a great book. Not sure what I will pickup next.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

Welcome fellow NHerite :-) I'm in Southern NH but love the seacoast.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

ponie wrote:

I want to teach you all a song as we wait...we will all be singing it soon; as soon as confirmation is received.  It goes to the tune of Oh Where Oh Where has my little dog gone.  I'm introducing it early so we can all be ready when we need it.  It goes with the waiting for the little brown truck dance. 

Here we go...

Got my PM today

Confirmation has come

ponie

I loved this song LOL. I wish I could sing it as soon as possible. Is it like a Christmas song?

Correspondent
bud12
0 Kudos

Hi everybody, this is my third First Look selection. I loved Sag Harbor,and  enjoyed Deliverance Dane, which I found entertaining but not as literary as Sag Harbor. Now I'm excited to see what adventure awaits me with this new book....  I live in Westchester, N.Y.  
Jo
dhaupt
0 Kudos

ponie wrote:

Here we go...

Got my PM today

Confirmation has come

Well ponie, while we're all impatiently waiting you can keep us entertained!:smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
pode
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Hi, Pode. I use tags to help me find information again. I name them things like, "book suggestions or board information" I found the following post helpful with the new features of the boards. So here is the link and a copy of the section on tags. It is by Jon_B.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=announcements&message.id=335

Tags

Tags are a new feature that helps you keep track of information in the way that makes the most sense to you.  If you see a lot of different posts in different boards that are all about a certain genre of fiction, you can give all of those posts the same tag – and then use that tag to pull up all of those posts in different areas.  You can use a tag to indicate a subject of interest in a post, a particular author, a note that you’d like to see more information on the topic, or anything you like.  And other users’ tags are visible to you as well, so if you see that someone’s tagging posts in a useful way, you can use those same tags and add posts to them yourself as well.

pode wrote:

I'm registered and ready to go.  The new book sounds intriguing. This will be my 3rd FL book, assuming I'm accepted.  My new daughter-in-law just registered which will make this even more interesting.

Okay, so before the next FIRST LOOK discussion starts........would someone please tell me what it means to "tag", when it's appropriate to "tag", how to "tag", why to "tag"?  I've googled but don't really get it.  (ponie, this is for you, too!)

Thank you!!!

pode

Thank you very much!  I'm going to try it.  I left your entire post in case there are others who might find it useful, too.

pode

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"
â Henry Ward Beecher
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I'm Carolyn from Virginia.  I have been part of FL since Songs for the Missing.  I love this club!  It's widened my horizons and opened my eyes to books I wouldn't ordinarily think of reading.  I think FL really hit its stride with Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.  The discussions have always been interesting, but this club really got going with the last selection.  I hope to receive Of Bees and Mist - it looks like another great read.
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Ponie, I like your little song!  Maybe you can come up with a first verse while we are all waiting for our confirmation PM.

ponie wrote:

Here we go...

Got my PM today

Confirmation has come