After reading The Physick by Katherine Howe

And it's magic if the book is right

Makes you feel enchanted morning noon and night

I'll tell you about the magic, much has been recorded

Read Of Bees and Mist and you'll be transported

Ohhhh talking about magic.......

Do you believe in magic?

:smileyvery-happy:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Your "Do You Believe In Magic"  off the charts,no blushing..that is really  good...You must play the piano..I thank you for all of us,even though its my song from you,its here for the BN Chorus....Imagine.."First Look Singers..May 15th Check your local BN for Showtimes...You Rock Ponie  !!!!! Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Your "Do You Believe In Magic"  off the charts,no blushing..that is really  good...You must play the piano..I thank you for all of us,even though its my song from you,its here for the BN Chorus....Imagine.."First Look Singers..May 15th Check your local BN for Showtimes...You Rock Ponie  !!!!! Vtc

Thanks!  You crack me up!  I don't rock, I rhyme!!!!!! And you read crystal balls.  Are you warming it up because confirmation angst and questioning has already begun; delivery date demands and inquiries are not far behind.

ponie
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

ponie wrote:

I want to teach you all a song as we wait...we will all be singing it soon; as soon as confirmation is received.  It goes to the tune of Oh Where Oh Where has my little dog gone.  I'm introducing it early so we can all be ready when we need it.  It goes with the waiting for the little brown truck dance. 

Here we go...

Oh Where Oh Where is the little brown truck?

Oh Where Oh Where can it be?

Got my PM today

Confirmation has come

Now I'm waiting for my A-R-C

:smileyvery-happy:

Ponie,

As a pre-K teacher, I love this!  Now next week when we are singing "itsy bitsy spider," I will have this tune in the back of my head also!  :smileyvery-happy:

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

PiperMurphy wrote:

aprilh wrote:
Hello to all my fellow First Lookers! My name is April and I'm thirty years old, living with my husband and twelve year old dog in Eastern Nebraska. This will hopefully be my fifth First Look and I have greatly enjoyed each and every one of them. My favorite by far (I think almost everyone agreed) was The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. We had some really great discussions on that board. Hope this book produces just as much enthusiasm! Can't wait to chat with you all later!

Hello April,

Where do you live in Nebraska? I grew up 25 miles from Omaha, then lived in Lincoln for 20 years before moving to the Kansas City area. It's always good to hear from someone from home.

I live in North Bend. It's a small town of about 1200 people and it's 60 miles west of Omaha. We're surrounded on almost all sides with towns much bigger than ours (some only 15 miles away) so it doesn't take much driving to get to where all the action is. Our biggest malls are in Omaha and Lincoln though (luckily both of which are equal distance from us), so whenever I'm in the mood to do some shopping at B&N it's only a forty-five minute drive!:smileyhappy:
April
Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

MSaff wrote:

ponie wrote:

Hello Hello!  ponie here!!!  I have been hovering over the site since 10:00 my time.  At 11:00 AM (my time) registration began and I was on it like white on rice!!! :smileyvery-happy: So I am registered.  Let the book waiting dance begin!!!! :smileytongue:

I am part of the B&N Online Book Club Minneapolis MN Contingent  :smileywink:..In the previous FL there were 13 of us.  I wonder how many will be returning to this FL? 

This selection looks very interesting.  This is my 3rd FL adventure!

Hey ponie,

I too was hovering most of the morning while checking for any unread posts.  I saw the message that the new book had been posted at 11:56AM here on the East Coast, so I immediately went up and registered.  So I guess I am also doing the book waiting dance.  

Well, Ponie and Mike,

I can certainly add myself to that book waiting dance!  I was hovering the whole week...guess I missed the memo that it would not be announced until Friday, May 1st.  The last First Look was my first, and I cannot wait to get reading and discussing again.  Have enjoyed all of your posts and look forward to more!

Thanks,

Aimee

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

Hi, Everyone!

I am Aimee from Strasburg, PA where I live with my husband, two children, collie dog, and 3 cats.  After participating in the last First Look Book Club (my first), I couldn't wait to continue the experience!!  Enjoying a fantastic debut novel was just the beginning!  The discussions were very thought-provoking and made the whole experience interesting, educational, and absolutely addictive!

Can't wait to get started!

Aimee

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
biljounc63
0 Kudos

I can't recommend Dog On It enough I simply found myself laughing and smile everytime I had the book in my hands. I am looking forward to Spencer Quinns visit here on the boards. I'm not even a dog person!

DSaff wrote:

Excellent! I hope to see you over at Center Stage on the 11th. :smileywink:

nlsamson wrote:
I am loving it.  I am loving the fact that it's written from the dog's perspective.  Every now and then I just can't help but laugh, Chet behaves just like my beagle. 

DSaff wrote:

How do you like Dog On It? I loved it and can't wait to talk with the author. Spencer Quinn will be on "Center Stage" here from May 11 - 15. It should be fun.

nlsamson wrote:

GoSox:

I'm actually about 20 pages away from finishing Dog On It, which a few of the other First Lookers suggested.  It's a great book. Not sure what I will pickup next.

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

aprilh wrote:

PiperMurphy wrote:

aprilh wrote:
Hello to all my fellow First Lookers! My name is April and I'm thirty years old, living with my husband and twelve year old dog in Eastern Nebraska. This will hopefully be my fifth First Look and I have greatly enjoyed each and every one of them. My favorite by far (I think almost everyone agreed) was The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. We had some really great discussions on that board. Hope this book produces just as much enthusiasm! Can't wait to chat with you all later!

Hello April,

Where do you live in Nebraska? I grew up 25 miles from Omaha, then lived in Lincoln for 20 years before moving to the Kansas City area. It's always good to hear from someone from home.

I live in North Bend. It's a small town of about 1200 people and it's 60 miles west of Omaha. We're surrounded on almost all sides with towns much bigger than ours (some only 15 miles away) so it doesn't take much driving to get to where all the action is. Our biggest malls are in Omaha and Lincoln though (luckily both of which are equal distance from us), so whenever I'm in the mood to do some shopping at B&N it's only a forty-five minute drive!:smileyhappy:

Sure, I know North Bend. I've even been there, but that was a very long time ago. I understand what you mean about the shopping. When I was growing up, we drove the 25 miles to do our shopping in Omaha. Lincoln was 50 miles away, so we didn't go often. Even now that I live in the KC area, I drive 30 minutes to get to B&N-not too different from your drive. And, I don't mind making that drive at least once a week. I try very hard to limit myself to weekly. Sometimes it's a challenge!:smileyvery-happy:
"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Correspondent
joyfull
0 Kudos

Hi everybody!

My name is Margot and I am in northern California. I am enjoying the benefits of retired life.

This is my second FL. My first was The Physick Book. I loved the writing in that book so much that I literally slowed down just to prolong the pleasure. I took the full four weeks. I'm very hopeful this next book will be the same way. It was also great to ask questions and read answers of the author. Again, I'm looking forward to that in this next book.

It's great to be a part of this book club. Happy Reading to all. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com
Inspired Correspondent
Adeline79
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

this is my second First look (my first being Katherine Howe) and now that I have discovered this book club I will not be dragged away! It is very exciting to read a new book before the release date. I am eager to get my copy signed by Katherine when she is in Boston. Will anyone else be there?

I am living in Nashua NH. Are there any others from Nashua or surrounds out there?   I am 30, married, mother of two little girls.

Looking forward to the discussion if I am accepted this time around. Of Bees and Mist sounds great. 

http://thereadingjourney.blogspot.com
Thayer
0 Kudos

biljounc63 wrote:

I can't recommend Dog On It enough I simply found myself laughing and smile everytime I had the book in my hands. I am looking forward to Spencer Quinns visit here on the boards. I'm not even a dog person!

DSaff wrote:

Excellent! I hope to see you over at Center Stage on the 11th. :smileywink:

nlsamson wrote:
I am loving it.  I am loving the fact that it's written from the dog's perspective.  Every now and then I just can't help but laugh, Chet behaves just like my beagle. 

DSaff wrote:

How do you like Dog On It? I loved it and can't wait to talk with the author. Spencer Quinn will be on "Center Stage" here from May 11 - 15. It should be fun.

nlsamson wrote:

GoSox:

I'm actually about 20 pages away from finishing Dog On It, which a few of the other First Lookers suggested.  It's a great book. Not sure what I will pickup next.

Since so many TPBODD participants recommended Dog on It  I am making a trip to Barnes and Noble today to purchase it! Am looking forward to the Center Stage discussion. A nice diversion until the new First Look arrives. Another reason I love this club....great suggestions from fellow readers-this is not something I likely would have purchased without so much positive feedback.  Now, I think I heard something about nibbles in the community room?  Count me in!:smileywink:

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Julie and I'm a FL addict.  I find myself refreshing the B&N site regularly on FL announcement days then compulsively checking my inbox while waiting for a confirmation message.  Sigh.

I live in western MA (a special shout out to fellow FL participants in this area - it looks like there's a few of us now).  I absolutely LOVED The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and am really looking forward to delving into Of Bees and Mist then participating in the lively and insightful discussions that follow.   Thank you B&N for providing us with the FL Book Club.  Coming home to find that little brown package containing my ARC definitely a highlight in this crazy thing called life!  (That and the jingles from Ponie.) :smileywink:

Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Thayer, you are biding your time with Bernie and Chet (I love those "guys"!) and I am spending time (waiting for Monday) with Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.  I downloaded the audio book from the library and am really liking the book as well as the reader's voice and style.  Hearing a book read can be so different than reading it yourself.
ponie
Wordsmith
marciliogq

ponie wrote:

Thayer, you are biding your time with Bernie and Chet (I love those "guys"!) and I am spending time (waiting for Monday) with Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.  I downloaded the audio book from the library and am really liking the book as well as the reader's voice and style.  Hearing a book read can be so different than reading it yourself.

ponie

Ponie,

I don't know if I am ready to these new medias, such as audiobooks. I have a daily contact to books (I am an English language and Literature professor), and this contact is so physical. I live the smell of the books, their covers, printing, layouts, to feel them in my hands. Nothing like the magical contact of a "true" book and my eyes in a zig-zag movement through the pages of a discovering and brilliant new world that is revealed in the lines and my mind.

Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

januttall wrote:

Hello, my name is Julie and I'm a FL addict.  I find myself refreshing the B&N site regularly on FL announcement days then compulsively checking my inbox while waiting for a confirmation message.  Sigh.

I live in western MA (a special shout out to fellow FL participants in this area - it looks like there's a few of us now).  I absolutely LOVED The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and am really looking forward to delving into Of Bees and Mist then participating in the lively and insightful discussions that follow.   Thank you B&N for providing us with the FL Book Club.  Coming home to find that little brown package containing my ARC definitely a highlight in this crazy thing called life!  (That and the jingles from Ponie.) :smileywink:

Hey! Julie!! I know what you mean.  I get a lot of little jobs around the house done, waiting for confirmation and the much longed for ARC, because refreshing the B&N site is my "carrot".  OK. I loaded the dishwasher, now I'll check B&N...OK. I started the dishwasher, I'll check the site again...OK. I'll sort and ready the laundry to wash, then I'll check the site...Now as the washer is running I think I'll just quickly check again...See if someone new has posted in the last 4 minutes!!!!!!:smileyvery-happy:

The msn encarta dictionary defines addicted as

very enthusiastic: very interested in a particular thing and devoting a lot of time to it

Synonyms: hooked, obsessed, infatuated, smitten, enthusiastic, passionate, captivated, keen
Addicted we are!!!!!

Compulsive is defined as

1. driven to do something: driven by an irresistible inner force to do something

2. powerfully interesting: exerting a powerful attraction or interest

Synonyms: gripping, compelling, mesmerizing, attention-grabbing, exciting, thrilling, interesting

Compulsive we are!!!!!

Obsession is defined as

1. preoccupation: an idea or feeling that completely occupies the mind

2. state of being obsessed: the state of being obsessed by somebody or something

Synonyms: fascination, fixation, passion, preoccupation

Obsessed we are!!!!!

ponie
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Enjoy the book, Thayer! I picked it up because of the title (can remember saying "doggonit" as a kid) and read if for the story. How about Snausages and Kibble in the Community Room when it opens. LOL

Thayer wrote:

Since so many TPBODD participants recommended Dog on It  I am making a trip to Barnes and Noble today to purchase it! Am looking forward to the Center Stage discussion. A nice diversion until the new First Look arrives. Another reason I love this club....great suggestions from fellow readers-this is not something I likely would have purchased without so much positive feedback.  Now, I think I heard something about nibbles in the community room?  Count me in!:smileywink:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

marciliogq wrote:

ponie wrote:

ponie

Ponie,

I don't know if I am ready to these new medias, such as audiobooks. I have a daily contact to books (I am an English language and Literature professor), and this contact is so physical. I live the smell of the books, their covers, printing, layouts, to feel them in my hands. Nothing like the magical contact of a "true" book and my eyes in a zig-zag movement through the pages of a discovering and brilliant new world that is revealed in the lines and my mind.

Marciliogq, really I do agree with you!  There's nothing like holding a book in your hands and having those experiences of which you speak.  That's why I can't get on the bandwagon for the Kindle.  However in this case, unable to postpone gratification - do I have ADHD? :smileysurprised:-and wait for JS&MN to be available in print form at my library - and needing to fill the confirmation waiting time - and not at a late hour wanting to rush out and buy a copy - I caved!!!:smileywink:  I downloaded!!!:smileywink:

And should you ever want to just try an audio book take a look at these 2 

Product Details 

Witness by Karen Hesse

Synopsis

Leanora Sutter. Esther Hirsh. Merlin Van Tornhout. Johnny Reeves . . .These characters are among the unforgettable cast inhabiting a small Vermont town in 1924. A town that turns against its own when the Ku Klux Klan moves in. No one is safe, especially the two youngest, twelve-year-old Leanora, an African-American girl, and six-year-old Esther, who is Jewish.In this story of a community on the brink of disaster, told through the haunting and impassioned voices of its inhabitants, Newbery Award winner Karen Hesse takes readers into the hearts and minds of those who bear witness.

and this one - these are 2 of my favorite audio books

Product Details

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

From Publishers Weekly
The kinetic energy of the aptly named Locomotion (the nickname of Lonnie Collins Motion) permeates the 60 poems that tell his sad yet hopeful story. Lonnie's first poem sets up a conflict familiar to anyone who has attempted creativity: despite the cheering of his teacher, Ms. Marcus ("Write it down before it leaves your brain," she says), as he begins to write, Lonnie hears the critical voice of his foster mother ("It's Miss Edna's over and over/ Be quiet!"). As Lonnie explores poetry's various forms throughout this brief yet poignant and occasionally humorous volume, he also reveals Miss Edna's kindness toward him in the little things she says and does ("The last time Miss Edna came home and found me/ crying She said Think/ about all the stuff you love, Lonnie"). Gradually Lonnie reveals that at age seven, his parents died in a fire, leaving him and his younger sister, Lili, orphaned. Lili was adopted, yet Lonnie figures out a way to visit her regularly. The gradual unfolding of his life's events intermingle with his discoveries about poetry as a form, from haiku to sonnets ("Ms. Marcus says "sonnet" comes from "sonnetto"/ and that sonnetto means little song or sound/ It reminds me of that guy's name Gepetto/ the one who made Pinocchio from wood he found") to the epistle poems he writes to his father and to God. Woodson, through Lonnie, creates (much as Sharon Creech did with the boy narrator in Love That Dog) a contagious appreciation for poetry while using the genre as a cathartic means for expressing the young poet's own grief. Ages 10-up.
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-14-2009 02:31 PM
ponie
Contributor
crimekitty763
0 Kudos

Hi   My name is Rosalie and I live in Columbus, Ohio    GO  BUCKS    I am an avid reader. I am 65 years old so I can give the senior thoughts on books.  ;-)  Just finished THE PHYSICK BOOK OF DELIVERANCE DANE.  I am starting THE HERETIC'S DAUGHTER for another reading club.  I enjoy almost all genres of books with historical fiction being my very favorite one.  I like stories from middle ages to current day.  This book OF BEES AND MIST  sounds very good.  I definitely enjoy discussing books with other readers.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain.
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

I forgot to tell everyone that I finished Dog On It.  And I can't wait for the next adventure for Bernie and Chet.  What a nice read it was.  I hope you enjoy it Thayer.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown