Reply
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
Posts: 606
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Welcome and Introductions


johndb wrote:
Hi! I'm new to First Look bookclub. My daughter told me to sign up because she enjoyed the last book so much. Looking forward to all the discussions. I live in southeast PA and my daughter lives in Charlottesville VA.
I am getting my mom to sign up today!!  Yippee- hope we both make the cut! 

 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
Posts: 606
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Let's all do the "Waiting for the Brown Truck Dance" together!  2 to the left, one to the right, and JUMP JUMP JUMP! Again, 2 to the left, one to the right, JUMP JUMP JUMP!

 

Be sure to clap while you jump!  

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
Posts: 606
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions


ponie wrote:

I want to teach you all a song as we wait...we will all be singing it soon; as soon as confirmation is received.  It goes to the tune of Oh Where Oh Where has my little dog gone.  I'm introducing it early so we can all be ready when we need it.  It goes with the waiting for the little brown truck dance. 

Here we go...

 

Oh Where Oh Where is the little brown truck?

Oh Where Oh Where can it be?

Got my PM today

Confirmation has come

Now I'm waiting for my A-R-C

:smileyvery-happy: 

 
Ponie- 
I think this will go well with the dance!  (wish I had seen this before I posted the dance- ) but we are thinking similar here. Scary for you!

 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
Posts: 163
Registered: ‎11-21-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

I live in Manchester.

Watch out Ponie that makes 3 NH peeps, we're gaining on y'all! :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
New User
Fuzzyape
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hello folks,

 

I thought I'd give this a try after getting a recommendation.  I may have waited too long to sign up, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

 

I do look forward to participating and getting insights from the other readers.  I've discovered that's my favorite thing about a book club.  People pick things up that I completely missed, and then I usually understand the book that much more!

Wordsmith
ponie
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎01-30-2009

Re: Welcome and Introductions


Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:
I live in Manchester.

Watch out Ponie that makes 3 NH peeps, we're gaining on y'all! :-)

 

:smileyvery-happy:

you say y'all in NH?:smileywink:

do you know each other?

3 of us are in the same mystery book club

4 of us participated in TPBODD

1 unknown to 3 of us met 2 of us offline at a B&N during the last FL (TPBODD)

2 of us are in the same fiction book club

2 of us know all of us

1 is a daughter in law of 1 and friend to another

1 does not know the daughter in law but knows the other 2 from mystery book club

The daughter in law's husband is of course 1's son but also a friend to another 1

 

So if a silver train left the station at 4:15 in the morning, heading east..how old is the 2nd cousin of the 1 who often wears flip-flops and is not in a book club??????

:smileytongue::smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

 

I need to take a nap!!!!

 

 

 

 

ponie
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
Posts: 195
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions


nlsamson wrote:

Thayer wrote:

DSaff wrote:

Enjoy the book, Thayer! I picked it up because of the title (can remember saying "doggonit" as a kid) and read if for the story. How about Snausages and Kibble in the Community Room when it opens. LOL


Thayer wrote:

Since so many TPBODD participants recommended Dog on It  I am making a trip to Barnes and Noble today to purchase it! Am looking forward to the Center Stage discussion. A nice diversion until the new First Look arrives. Another reason I love this club....great suggestions from fellow readers-this is not something I likely would have purchased without so much positive feedback.  Now, I think I heard something about nibbles in the community room?  Count me in!:smileywink:

 

 


 

haha, "treats" in the community room sounds great, but my Cairn Terrier, Nola has food allergies!  Aside from her $30 a bag dog food -alas she can have no regular dog treats. I have however compensated believe it or not, with baby carrots. They are healthy, crunchy, sweet and she loves them. She doesn't feel like she is missing out and most importantly they don't make her chew her paws until they are bloody. So, carrots for Nola and a venti cinnamon dolce latte (with whip) for me. What're you having?  Oh, I hope the community room is pet friendly!  LOL   :smileyvery-happy:

 

Of course it's pet friendly, and Nola won't have to worry about my beagle Lilly touching her carrots, try as I might, I just can't get her interested.  (she'll have to bring a chewy/ or a baby) I on the other hand, will be having my champagne and cranberry.  No other treat necessary. :smileytongue:

 

 

On second thought, I'll have what you're having  :smileyvery-happy:   Did Lilly make the trip to New Orleans with you? Nola has been 3 times. Last time she got ejected from Jackson Square....we were picknicking and didn't see the "no pets" sign-oops.  Am well into Dog on It and love it so far. The silhouette of the dog on the cover reminds me of George Rodrigue's  'Blue Dog.'   haha

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
Posts: 606
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions


ponie wrote:

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:
I live in Manchester.

Watch out Ponie that makes 3 NH peeps, we're gaining on y'all! :-)

 

:smileyvery-happy:

you say y'all in NH?:smileywink:

do you know each other?

3 of us are in the same mystery book club

4 of us participated in TPBODD

1 unknown to 3 of us met 2 of us offline at a B&N during the last FL (TPBODD)

2 of us are in the same fiction book club

2 of us know all of us

1 is a daughter in law of 1 and friend to another

1 does not know the daughter in law but knows the other 2 from mystery book club

The daughter in law's husband is of course 1's son but also a friend to another 1

 

So if a silver train left the station at 4:15 in the morning, heading east..how old is the 2nd cousin of the 1 who often wears flip-flops and is not in a book club??????

:smileytongue::smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

 

I need to take a nap!!!!

 

 

 

 


 
The answer is in the question!  Now I need to take a nap! 

 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
nlsamson
Posts: 104
Registered: ‎03-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

No Lilly has never made the trip to NOLA.  (she is 30 lbs, therefore my understanding is that she could not possibly fly in the cabin with us, and I could never put her in cargo, far to scary for me)  I would love to take her.  I had no idea that Jackson Square was a no dog zone. (oh well, live and learn).  I thought the same about the cover of Dog On It.  It was such a great book, although there was one point that did bring me to tears.

As for the champagne and cranberry (which I had for the first time in New Orleans...) I would be happy to share... anytime, if I leave now, I could be in New Orleans in about 6 hours (if I find the right flight...):smileywink:

 

 

On second thought, I'll have what you're having  :smileyvery-happy:   Did Lilly make the trip to New Orleans with you? Nola has been 3 times. Last time she got ejected from Jackson Square....we were picknicking and didn't see the "no pets" sign-oops.  Am well into Dog on It and love it so far. The silhouette of the dog on the cover reminds me of George Rodrigue's  'Blue Dog.'   haha

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
Posts: 163
Registered: ‎11-21-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Heh no they don't, but I spent two summers in college working on a dude ranch in CO owned and staffed by a lot of Southerners so I picked it up from them. :-)

 

 

And nope, I don't know the other two NH ladies but glad to see some locals on here anyway.

 

But it sounds like you got your own version of 6 Degrees going out in MN Ponie!!!! 


ponie wrote:

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:
I live in Manchester.

Watch out Ponie that makes 3 NH peeps, we're gaining on y'all! :-)

 

:smileyvery-happy:

you say y'all in NH?:smileywink:

do you know each other?

3 of us are in the same mystery book club

4 of us participated in TPBODD

1 unknown to 3 of us met 2 of us offline at a B&N during the last FL (TPBODD)

2 of us are in the same fiction book club

2 of us know all of us

1 is a daughter in law of 1 and friend to another

1 does not know the daughter in law but knows the other 2 from mystery book club

The daughter in law's husband is of course 1's son but also a friend to another 1

 

So if a silver train left the station at 4:15 in the morning, heading east..how old is the 2nd cousin of the 1 who often wears flip-flops and is not in a book club??????

:smileytongue::smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

 

I need to take a nap!!!!

 

 

 

 


 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Frequent Contributor
nikki824
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎01-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi everyone! Excited to read this months selection. I'm nicole from NY.
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
Posts: 195
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions


nlsamson wrote:

No Lilly has never made the trip to NOLA.  (she is 30 lbs, therefore my understanding is that she could not possibly fly in the cabin with us, and I could never put her in cargo, far to scary for me)  I would love to take her.  I had no idea that Jackson Square was a no dog zone. (oh well, live and learn).  I thought the same about the cover of Dog On It.  It was such a great book, although there was one point that did bring me to tears.

As for the champagne and cranberry (which I had for the first time in New Orleans...) I would be happy to share... anytime, if I leave now, I could be in New Orleans in about 6 hours (if I find the right flight...):smileywink:

 

 

On second thought, I'll have what you're having  :smileyvery-happy:   Did Lilly make the trip to New Orleans with you? Nola has been 3 times. Last time she got ejected from Jackson Square....we were picknicking and didn't see the "no pets" sign-oops.  Am well into Dog on It and love it so far. The silhouette of the dog on the cover reminds me of George Rodrigue's  'Blue Dog.'   haha

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.

 

Just got an invite from my son and daughter in law to come for Memorial Day weekend! Am excited beyond words...can't wait to go.  And yes, hard to believe that among the homeless and transients on the park benches, alas, no dogs are allowed in Jackson square.

 

We usually drive (9 + long hours) just so Nola may be with us. She is a Cairn Terrier (like Toto) and last time as we were walking along Decatur with her, the street performers began playing "Somewhere over the rainbow," so of course I HAD to tip them...very sweet.

 

Am immensely enjoying Dog on It. That's one of the reasons I love this club. Not only do you get to converse with people with like interests, such as yourself, but you get recommendations for books that you wouldn't likely look into on your own.  This new first look sounds intriguing and quite outside of my usual realm. Can't wait to dive in.

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Wordsmith
marciliogq
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎02-22-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Has anyone realized if the message sent to sign up the book is still in bold (not read yet)?

I'm anxious as the minutes are gone.

Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
Posts: 195
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Paul,

 

I may be way outta line here, but as we all bare our souls (book addictions, paranoia regarding first look acceptance, etc.) I realize that we know little or nothing regarding yourself.

 

 

Where do you call home? How long have you been with B&N? What do you like to read? Are you a family man or confirmed bach? Inquiring minds would like to know...:smileyvery-happy:

 

No matter what you feel comfortable diverging, I appreciate your attention, dedication and patience to/for our group. Your mom would be proud!

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Correspondent
nlsamson
Posts: 104
Registered: ‎03-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

I am so jealous... not only do I have to work part of Memorial Day weekend, but I won't be headed back to New Orleans until August at the earliest. ( I may have to adopt your son and daughter in law... I could possible share my grandson!) :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

I have no idea how long the drive would be from here, I know my mom is about 19 hours from here, she's in Birmingham Alabama.  But our only drive to New Orleans was from her house, I think I remember checking once and it was about 23 hours!  That would be why we fly!

 

I agree, never having joined a book club before, I find that I am enjoying this one to the fullest.  I have quite a list of books to read, I will need to live well beyone 100!  And we do meet some of the nicest people, all with varying tastes in literature.

 


Thayer wrote:

nlsamson wrote:

No Lilly has never made the trip to NOLA.  (she is 30 lbs, therefore my understanding is that she could not possibly fly in the cabin with us, and I could never put her in cargo, far to scary for me)  I would love to take her.  I had no idea that Jackson Square was a no dog zone. (oh well, live and learn).  I thought the same about the cover of Dog On It.  It was such a great book, although there was one point that did bring me to tears.

As for the champagne and cranberry (which I had for the first time in New Orleans...) I would be happy to share... anytime, if I leave now, I could be in New Orleans in about 6 hours (if I find the right flight...):smileywink:

 

 

On second thought, I'll have what you're having  :smileyvery-happy:   Did Lilly make the trip to New Orleans with you? Nola has been 3 times. Last time she got ejected from Jackson Square....we were picknicking and didn't see the "no pets" sign-oops.  Am well into Dog on It and love it so far. The silhouette of the dog on the cover reminds me of George Rodrigue's  'Blue Dog.'   haha

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.

 

Just got an invite from my son and daughter in law to come for Memorial Day weekend! Am excited beyond words...can't wait to go.  And yes, hard to believe that among the homeless and transients on the park benches, alas, no dogs are allowed in Jackson square.

 

We usually drive (9 + long hours) just so Nola may be with us. She is a Cairn Terrier (like Toto) and last time as we were walking along Decatur with her, the street performers began playing "Somewhere over the rainbow," so of course I HAD to tip them...very sweet.

 

Am immensely enjoying Dog on It. That's one of the reasons I love this club. Not only do you get to converse with people with like interests, such as yourself, but you get recommendations for books that you wouldn't likely look into on your own.  This new first look sounds intriguing and quite outside of my usual realm. Can't wait to dive in.


 

 

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Wordsmith
ponie
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎01-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions


Thayer wrote:

Paul,

 

I may be way outta line here, but as we all bare our souls (book addictions, paranoia regarding first look acceptance, etc.) I realize that we know little or nothing regarding yourself.

 

 

Where do you call home? How long have you been with B&N? What do you like to read? Are you a family man or confirmed bach? Inquiring minds would like to know...:smileyvery-happy:

 

No matter what you feel comfortable diverging, I appreciate your attention, dedication and patience to/for our group. Your mom would be proud!


 

Great idea Thayer and great questions. 

 

And I hope you, Paul, do not think them out of line.  Funny the assumptions we (actually I) make....I figured Paul H was married to Maria H...both B&N adminstrators. Hmmmm.

I think to know more about you Paul would be like hearing an author read from his or her book...Or like when an author answers questions at a book signing that then make reading the book all the more special.

ponie
Wordsmith
ponie
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎01-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions


liisa22 wrote:

Let's all do the "Waiting for the Brown Truck Dance" together!  2 to the left, one to the right, and JUMP JUMP JUMP! Again, 2 to the left, one to the right, JUMP JUMP JUMP!

 

Be sure to clap while you jump!  


 

First we shred to bits a hankie or 2 as we worry whether or not we will be chosen!!!  This is going to be a loooooo night!!!!!!  With the first round of confirmations coming out tomorrow, some may not sleep well and be hitting and rehitting the refresh button starting very early Monday morning!!!!! 
ponie
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
Posts: 606
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions


ponie wrote:

liisa22 wrote:

Let's all do the "Waiting for the Brown Truck Dance" together!  2 to the left, one to the right, and JUMP JUMP JUMP! Again, 2 to the left, one to the right, JUMP JUMP JUMP!

 

Be sure to clap while you jump!  


 

First we shred to bits a hankie or 2 as we worry whether or not we will be chosen!!!  This is going to be a loooooo night!!!!!!  With the first round of confirmations coming out tomorrow, some may not sleep well and be hitting and rehitting the refresh button starting very early Monday morning!!!!! 
I will not sleep until I know if I am indeed a chosen one! and darn it all- I have to work tomorrow.  AAHHHH  but I will be checking in, with fingers and toes all crossed- all 22 of them!  :smileysurprised:

 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
Posts: 606
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions


Thayer wrote:

Paul,

 

I may be way outta line here, but as we all bare our souls (book addictions, paranoia regarding first look acceptance, etc.) I realize that we know little or nothing regarding yourself.

 

 

Where do you call home? How long have you been with B&N? What do you like to read? Are you a family man or confirmed bach? Inquiring minds would like to know...:smileyvery-happy:

 

No matter what you feel comfortable diverging, I appreciate your attention, dedication and patience to/for our group. Your mom would be proud!



 
Great  questions! We have indeed shared ourselves, and it would be kinda nice to know....

 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
ponie
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎01-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions


liisa22 wrote:

Thayer wrote:

Paul,

 

I may be way outta line here, but as we all bare our souls (book addictions, paranoia regarding first look acceptance, etc.) I realize that we know little or nothing regarding yourself.

 

 

Where do you call home? How long have you been with B&N? What do you like to read? Are you a family man or confirmed bach? Inquiring minds would like to know...:smileyvery-happy:

 

No matter what you feel comfortable diverging, I appreciate your attention, dedication and patience to/for our group. Your mom would be proud!



Great  questions! We have indeed shared ourselves, and it would be kinda nice to know....

 


 

Is that just a woman thing?  Jump first, then ask questions??????:smileywink:
ponie