Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Islands, tornadoes and computers, Oh My!

OMG, I made it back in time!  My computer crashed on Wednesday and through all my mechanizations I could not get it up and running.  Finally, I just replaced the hard drive, needless to say all is lost.....itunes, some but not many pictures, documents etc etc.  My advice to all.................back up!  I will from now on, that's a certainty.

Vivian, when I heard about your troublesome weather, I did think about you and said a little prayer. Glad you made it through safely.

E-man, I agree with your assessment of "island".  When I Googled Sag Harbor I was surprised to see that Long Island is quite large.  Bridges do seem to lessen the remoteness of island, don't they? But for many New Yorkers it may feel like being in another world.  Staten Island, of course, has their infamous ferries. Would that make it more islandish? Mmmm.  I'm off to google Staten Island and check out bridges, if any.....Til Monday, yippee I'm back!!!!!

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I actually lived on Staten Island for two years and rode the ferries regularly. But SI didn't seem that islandish because there were bridges to both Brooklyn and New Jersey, so seemed more like crossing rivers than going on and off an island.  Ferries are often used -- used to be used a lot more than they are now -- to cross rivers and long inlets.  Some of the ferries in the Pugeet Sound, for example, don't involve islands but just cut across the sound instead of driving around. 

Manhattan is, of course, itself an island, but doesn't seem that islandish, at least to me. 

Carmenere_lady wrote:

E-man, I agree with your assessment of "island".  When I Googled Sag Harbor I was surprised to see that Long Island is quite large.  Bridges do seem to lessen the remoteness of island, don't they? But for many New Yorkers it may feel like being in another world.  Staten Island, of course, has their infamous ferries. Would that make it more islandish? Mmmm.  I'm off to google Staten Island and check out bridges, if any.....Til Monday, yippee I'm back!!!!!

0 Kudos

Re: Questions about how this works.

If you recall many readers of A Fortunate Age had never been to NY..especially Williamsburg,Bklyn..Where I live in Vermont..Manchester..we have a map which is so helpful to the many people who did visit us(those days are gone,except for the ski crowd)If you can go on resortmaps.com...find LI,click on the site that has the hamptons listed ..The interactive online map of Sag Harbor,is quite good...It could give many readers an opportunity to see Sag Harbor,all the  areas that Colson writes about...its not to scale of course,but very good...Just want your feeback..I don't want to link it to the board,unless u think it would be ok...I personally think it should be up to Colson,or the moderator..Joanna did link a Map for all the readers of her book and it seemed to help..let me know when u can...Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

Everyman,

I am also new to this type of book discussion.  I have only read the first 70 pages and was going to read the next section this week as I posted.  I now plan on continuing to read this evening.  I appreciate you suggestions, so that I will be able to get the most out of this forum as well as be a good contributor.  I am definitely looking forward to starting the discussion.

Kathy 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

VTC, Upon your suggestion I checked out resortmaps.com and found it to be such a good reference to the book [Sag Harbor] that I made it one of my favorites to use for future vacations.  I'll also make a copy of it and use it to follow Colson's walks throughout his old stomping grounds.  Thanks so much, that was really useful information.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Just thought I would include some interesting information as to what constitutes an  island and then Long Island specifically.  Here, I thought my To Be Read pile was an island alas it only was when my basement was flooded a few springs ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island

Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Glad I could be of help...Its always a good referance..I love our map here In manchester,vt   When I first moved here,it was my referance  ..I believe you can also request one by snail mail..its a very good quality map..The Chamber of any town resort maps services would be more than glad to send one to you.See you in Sag Harbor...Vtcozy
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Vtc,

I think it's a lovely idea to post a link to a good Sag Harbor map. Thanks!

Rachel

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thanks for welcoming the reference...we will all be on board tomorrow as First Look Readers of Sag Harbor.. as we sail around the Harbor   VTC
Contributor
koren56
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]

To Vivian:

Thankyou from me too! This is my first time and I am still learning how to navigate the system.

Message Edited by koren56 on 02-16-2009 04:54 PM
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Good Evening Rachel...I really like the format,and the mix of readers,exciting..Rachel, I didn't post a real link to resortmaps.com,I just suggested it to some readers,did you or could you post a link , I am link to BN,challenged.. Sandy,asked me for it , and some readers thanked me,but they just googled it I suppose...  cozy night to u, Vtc  
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Here ya go VTC - I hope that you don't mind that I gave it a try - sleep tight
http://www.resortmaps.com/The_Hamptons
Vermontcozy wrote:
Good Evening Rachel...I really like the format,and the mix of readers,exciting..Rachel, I didn't post a real link to resortmaps.com,I just suggested it to some readers,did you or could you post a link , I am link to BN,challenged.. Sandy,asked me for it , and some readers thanked me,but they just googled it I suppose...  cozy night to u, Vtc  

Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thank you for multitasking for all of us..Especially for the readers that are in Kuwait,Sinapore,Alaska, and everyone else....I have the map of my town,because its goodlooking in a frame I made..to pick up the colors of the map.This is quite a good book,and probably an eyeopener for some,and just part of life for others.He is very good at pulling out emotions from his readers,and with his dry,scarcastic humor(always a cover for other feelings).,I appreciate that.Good to have you on board..Have you read the whole book? I haven't..will just go along with the chapters.....Sunny In Vt....vtc

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady

Re: what the......

I've not logged on for only a couple of days and I see these Laurel things on posts?  What are they and why do I have one?  Do we get free best sellers?  wink wink
Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

I also have read the first 70 pages and have been looking at the discussion, am a little lost and now that I look at the map I plan on rereading and pinpointing the streets and places. Thank you for the info.

Cora

dhaupt

Carmenere_lady wrote:
I've not logged on for only a couple of days and I see these Laurel things on posts?  What are they and why do I have one?  Do we get free best sellers?  wink wink
Check out the announcement thread and it will tell you, because I was just as surprised this morning when I logged in.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks a bunch Debbie.  It will be interesting to see how this all goes.  Either it's going to be fun or just another chore, we'll see.  I see you already have your new avatar.  I'm going to take a look at their new selections right now.
dhaupt wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
Check out the announcement thread and it will tell you, because I was just as surprised this morning when I logged in.

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 02-20-2009 06:26 PM
Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Contributor
mchwest

Carmenere_lady wrote:

OMG, I made it back in time!  My computer crashed on Wednesday and through all my mechanizations I could not get it up and running.  Finally, I just replaced the hard drive, needless to say all is lost.....itunes, some but not many pictures, documents etc etc.  My advice to all.................back up!  I will from now on, that's a certainty.

Vivian, when I heard about your troublesome weather, I did think about you and said a little prayer. Glad you made it through safely.

Lynda, just a note, if you email Itunes, there is no such thing as calling them, they can direct you on how to recover your library! I hope you read this!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

A laurel goes to you mch!  That is a wonderful suggestion!  I will email itunes tonight.  A thousand thank you's.
mchwest wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Lynda, just a note, if you email Itunes, there is no such thing as calling them, they can direct you on how to recover your library! I hope you read this!

Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

What are TAGS?

What does it mean when someone tags a comment?  I see the "tag" button at the bottom of the posts, but I'm not sure what this does.

Can someone enlighten me?

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs