Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Re76
0 Kudos

Re: What are TAGS?

blkeyesuzi wrote:

What does it mean when someone tags a comment?  I see the "tag" button at the bottom of the posts, but I'm not sure what this does.

Can someone enlighten me?

here's the info...you can find out more on the far right side of your screen under announcements...under new features.

Tags 

Tags are a new feature that helps you keep track of information in the way that makes the most sense to you.  If you see a lot of different posts in different boards that are all about a certain genre of fiction, you can give all of those posts the same tag – and then use that tag to pull up all of those posts in different areas.  You can use a tag to indicate a subject of interest in a post, a particular author, a note that you’d like to  see more information on the topic, or anything you like.  And other users’ tags are visible to you as well, so if you see that someone’s tagging posts in a useful way, you can use those same tags and add posts to them yourself as well.

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi

Re: What are TAGS?

Re76 wrote:

blkeyesuzi wrote:

What does it mean when someone tags a comment?  I see the "tag" button at the bottom of the posts, but I'm not sure what this does.

Can someone enlighten me?

here's the info...you can find out more on the far right side of your screen under announcements...under new features.

Tags 

Tags are a new feature that helps you keep track of information in the way that makes the most sense to you.  If you see a lot of different posts in different boards that are all about a certain genre of fiction, you can give all of those posts the same tag – and then use that tag to pull up all of those posts in different areas.  You can use a tag to indicate a subject of interest in a post, a particular author, a note that you’d like to  see more information on the topic, or anything you like.  And other users’ tags are visible to you as well, so if you see that someone’s tagging posts in a useful way, you can use those same tags and add posts to them yourself as well.

Thanks so much!

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Scribe
vivico1

Re: what the......

[ Edited ]

Ok you two, don't get a swelled head now lol and Lynda, of course it gives you more to do, what did you think? That you could "rest on your laurels"? hehehe! :smileywink:

Carmenere_lady also wrote..... Thanks a bunch Debbie.  It will be interesting to see how this all goes.  Either it's going to be fun or just another chore,....

dhaupt wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
I've not logged on for only a couple of days and I see these Laurel things on posts?  What are they and why do I have one?  Do we get free best sellers?  wink wink
Check out the announcement thread and it will tell you, because I was just as surprised this morning when I logged in.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 02-21-2009 04:02 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: what the......

Vivien!  I'll have you know that my laurels would love to take a rest.  lol
vivico1 wrote:

Ok you two, don't get a swelled head now lol and Lynda, of course it gives you more to do, what did you think? That you could "rest on your laurels"? hehehe! :smileywink:

Carmenere_lady also wrote..... Thanks a bunch Debbie.  It will be interesting to see how this all goes.  Either it's going to be fun or just another chore,....

dhaupt wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:
I've not logged on for only a couple of days and I see these Laurel things on posts?  What are they and why do I have one?  Do we get free best sellers?  wink wink
Check out the announcement thread and it will tell you, because I was just as surprised this morning when I logged in.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 02-21-2009 04:02 PM

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Islands, tornadoes and computers, Oh My!

Hey mch, just wanted to tell you that it worked!  I didn't get everything back but most of it.  I was given instructions as to how to back up so this won't happen again.  Thanks so much.

mchwest wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:

OMG, I made it back in time!  My computer crashed on Wednesday and through all my mechanizations I could not get it up and running.  Finally, I just replaced the hard drive, needless to say all is lost.....itunes, some but not many pictures, documents etc etc.  My advice to all.................back up!  I will from now on, that's a certainty.

Lynda, just a note, if you email Itunes, there is no such thing as calling them, they can direct you on how to recover your library! I hope you read this!

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Zoe Heller & the NYT's

Hey First Lookers,

There is an article in Thursday's New York Times featuring Zoe Heller and the impending release of her novel, "The Believers".  It includes some quotes from "a recent online chat with readers about her new novel....".  You can check it out at this link  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/books/26zoe.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=zoe%20heller&st=cse

Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting the link, Lynda--interesting article.

Joan

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

I love it!  "it's like watching sausage being made!!!" LOL

I can only imagine that's how she felt during the whole process.  It was probably a brutal one for her!

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Lynda, thank you very much for the link.

I cringed because one of those quotes was mine. I don't regret those comments, or my negative review; but I can imagine that Zoe Heller must have some very painful memories of her time with us.

I hope other authors, especially Mr. whitehead, aren't going to find us intimidating. 

Message Edited by IBIS on 03-01-2009 07:28 PM
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Reader 2
ValentineKC
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Thank you for this thread for all discussions that wander off topic from Sag Harbor.  It really separates the wheat from the chaff!
New User
sue2boys
0 Kudos

Hi. I received Colson Whitehead's book last week and find it very much describes the point in time. While I didn't go to the Hamptons, I had heard of the section of Sag Harbor as an enclave for  summer vacation for African-Americans. The language of Benji and his friends rings true, and I fondly recall the NY haunts he refers to (the Olympia at 107th -- where I think I first saw Last Tango in Paris). While I now live in Pennsylvania, I remain a New Yorker at heart, and a Brooklynite by birth. I feel nostalgic as I imagine Colson does as Benji reminisces. It sounds like Benji is reflecting on the 80's -- is this accurate?
Correspondent
detailmuse
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
hee hee (and not a spoiler) -- after all our calls for it in "A Fortunate Age," I laughed when I read the phrase "kicked to the curb" in this book! (p216) :smileyvery-happy:
Message Edited by detailmuse on 03-02-2009 11:44 AM
Frequent Contributor
x-tempo

sue2boys wrote:
Hi. I received Colson Whitehead's book last week and find it very much describes the point in time. While I didn't go to the Hamptons, I had heard of the section of Sag Harbor as an enclave for  summer vacation for African-Americans. The language of Benji and his friends rings true, and I fondly recall the NY haunts he refers to (the Olympia at 107th -- where I think I first saw Last Tango in Paris). While I now live in Pennsylvania, I remain a New Yorker at heart, and a Brooklynite by birth. I feel nostalgic as I imagine Colson does as Benji reminisces. It sounds like Benji is reflecting on the 80's -- is this accurate?

Hi, Yes, I think that sounds accurate. The Olympia theater is on 107th St. and Broadway, isn't it? Then on p. 102 Benji says that he attends a party a few blocks from his house on 98th St. and West End Avenue, so it's a pretty nice neighborhood.

On p. 14 he mentions the deaths of Eleanor Bumpurs and Michael Stewart -- the former a mentally ill black woman shot to death in 1984 by Emergency Services while being evicted; the latter a young African American graffiti artist choked to death in 1983 while in the custody of Transit Police. I was living in the East Village at the time.

These same two deaths are mentioned on p. 174 of the author's earlier novel "John Henry Days," where the young protagonist says of the Stewart choking "anyone could be next!" (and of course, not too long afterwards he nearly chokes to death himself by eating while standing in a buffet line! :smileyhappy: