Reply
Moderator
Rachel-K
Posts: 1,495
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Community Room

Please use this thread for all discussions that wander off topic from Sag Harbor. Anything goes, but please remember to keep all posts civil.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About the First Look Book Club

LOLOL.  Hey I may be there faster than you think! Here I sit on my birthday, in my house and all afternoon there has been tornado warnings all over the place, IN FEB! I know I am in Oklahoma but this is rediculous! Two tornadoes touched down in OKC and Edmond doing damage, ripping up businesses and houses and causing power outages. Trees and lines down on the roads. Its a mess! There are some storms just southwest of me, heading this way, so if a tornado hits here before I hit the tornado shelter if I need to, I may be visiting you up there soon. We ain't in Kansas anymore Toto!! :smileysurprised: !

 


kiakar wrote:

Vivian; thanks so much for your forever kindness .   You are a saint for doing what you do! Remind me again, what you do?  Oh! if you are in this area again, could you take me for a ride in that red and blue and white truck.. ??

 

 


vivico1 wrote:

That was me Linda, I thought I would drop it off for you. The brown truck left it on my porch.


 


 

 

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About the First Look Book Club

Stay safe, Viv!

 


vivico1 wrote:

LOLOL.  Hey I may be there faster than you think! Here I sit on my birthday, in my house and all afternoon there has been tornado warnings all over the place, IN FEB! I know I am in Oklahoma but this is rediculous! Two tornadoes touched down in OKC and Edmond doing damage, ripping up businesses and houses and causing power outages. Trees and lines down on the roads. Its a mess! There are some storms just southwest of me, heading this way, so if a tornado hits here before I hit the tornado shelter if I need to, I may be visiting you up there soon. We ain't in Kansas anymore Toto!! :smileysurprised: !

 

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About the First Look Book Club

Hey Vivian; All kidding aside;  Be safe.  And you are welcome any old time, down here in Virginia. we are having very unseasonal weather now. Temps in the 60 and 70's and its not even that cold over night. Wow! Sometimes we do  enjoy summer in winters especially the last five or so years anyway.

 

 

 

 


vivico1 wrote:

LOLOL.  Hey I may be there faster than you think! Here I sit on my birthday, in my house and all afternoon there has been tornado warnings all over the place, IN FEB! I know I am in Oklahoma but this is rediculous! Two tornadoes touched down in OKC and Edmond doing damage, ripping up businesses and houses and causing power outages. Trees and lines down on the roads. Its a mess! There are some storms just southwest of me, heading this way, so if a tornado hits here before I hit the tornado shelter if I need to, I may be visiting you up there soon. We ain't in Kansas anymore Toto!! :smileysurprised: !

 


kiakar wrote:

Vivian; thanks so much for your forever kindness .   You are a saint for doing what you do! Remind me again, what you do?  Oh! if you are in this area again, could you take me for a ride in that red and blue and white truck.. ??

 

 


vivico1 wrote:

That was me Linda, I thought I would drop it off for you. The brown truck left it on my porch.


 


 

 


 

Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
Posts: 157
Registered: ‎01-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: About the First Look Book Club

Hey, Happy Birthday, Vivian!  I hope the strong winds don't blow out the candles on your birthday cake!  Seriously, I hope you're safe and having a great day.

 

Joan

Frequent Contributor
Re76
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎11-18-2008
0 Kudos

Re: About the First Look Book Club

Vivian,

Happy Birthday, and stay safe down there.

Renee

Wordsmith
Tarri
Posts: 457
Registered: ‎02-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: About the First Look Book Club


vivico1 wrote:

LOLOL.  Hey I may be there faster than you think! Here I sit on my birthday, in my house and all afternoon there has been tornado warnings all over the place, IN FEB! I know I am in Oklahoma but this is rediculous! Two tornadoes touched down in OKC and Edmond doing damage, ripping up businesses and houses and causing power outages. Trees and lines down on the roads. Its a mess! There are some storms just southwest of me, heading this way, so if a tornado hits here before I hit the tornado shelter if I need to, I may be visiting you up there soon. We ain't in Kansas anymore Toto!! :smileysurprised: !

 



 

 


Vivian, I saw that tornado on the news, I'm so glad you are safe.  Happy Birthday!

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,824
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About the First Look Book Club

Happy Birthday and stay safe Viv, the weather tormenting you hit us last night (St. Louis Metro area), but fortunately not as much damage just some flooded roads and power outages.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About the First Look Book Club

Thanks for the birthday wishes all and for the thoughts of safety for me. My internet went off during all this yesterday evening and I didn't get it back until about an hour ago. It was a very sad birthday. They are showing the tornadoes in OKC and Edmond Oklahoma on tv because they have video on those but the worst hit southeast of here in Ardmore and Lone Grove. The one in Lone Grove was over 1/2 mile WIDE and hit after dark so you couldn't see it. It hit so fast too that there is a ton of damage down there. They had to call off the search last night because there were still power lines down everywhere and the electric company there could not guarantee the lines were not live. Some first responders were hurt. They found 8 dead last night and are now, in the last few hours since daybreak going house to house looking for people. Over 50 were hurt and they think there may be more deaths. This is a small community of about 4500 people and this is just horrendous for them. I feel so bad for them, at least the ones in OKC and Edmond didn't kill anyone. I guess as the day goes on we here will hear more about any more deaths or damage there. At least the storms are over for the week, so they get get power restored to a lot of areas and clean up what they have left. We just don't get tornadoes in Feb! Less than one a year for over 60 years! And this is a record for deaths in Feb. I just feel so sad for them all. I just wanted to say, I am ok, thanks for your thoughts and I am going to go for awhile now. I am exhausted today. If I have any updates, I will post in the community room and get off this thread. We started this here not knowing how bad it was so I thought I should say. I am ok tho and so is all my property. Thanks guys.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Correspondent
HannibalCat
Posts: 238
Registered: ‎10-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About the First Look Book Club


Everyman wrote:

Stay safe, Viv!

 


vivico1 wrote:

LOLOL.  Hey I may be there faster than you think! Here I sit on my birthday, in my house and all afternoon there has been tornado warnings all over the place, IN FEB! I know I am in Oklahoma but this is rediculous! Two tornadoes touched down in OKC and Edmond doing damage, ripping up businesses and houses and causing power outages. Trees and lines down on the roads. Its a mess! There are some storms just southwest of me, heading this way, so if a tornado hits here before I hit the tornado shelter if I need to, I may be visiting you up there soon. We ain't in Kansas anymore Toto!! :smileysurprised: !

 


Ditto, Viv - stay safe and happy reading! Dorothy does not need company in Oz. We need you here in our Oz. 

 

Moderator
Rachel-K
Posts: 1,495
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About the First Look Book Club

Glad you're safe, Vivian. 

 

And happy birthday! If we were an in-person book group, we'd have brought a cake to group.

 

Rachel

Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
Posts: 189
Registered: ‎11-02-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

If you had spent a million dollars every day since Jesus was born, you still wouldn't have spent the $838 billion in the Senate's stimulus plan.

 

Everyman I love the quote? Where did you come across it? I often wonder where the money is going to come from. My wallet has been on a diet already. 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

It was a senator, I think Mitch McConnell, but I checked his math before I posted it, and he's right.  A trillion is a million million.  Multiply 2009 years by 365.25 days a year and you get 733,285.  So spend a million dollars a day and you only get up to $733 billion.  It's scary to think that we taxpayers are going to be on the hook for all that money.  Well, not me because I'll be dead long before the bill comes due, but my kids and grandkids. 

 

Sad.  Very sad.  

 

But we should probably not talk politics here -- too depressing!  On to Sag Harbor, which is a village not that much bigger than our little town here on the island, but on a MUCH bigger island than ours!  And of course on the other ocean.  Though it's hard in a way to think of Long Island these days as a real island, with so many bridges linking it to everywhere.   True islands don't have bridges to the world -- that's what makes them so special!

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Wordsmith
Tarri
Posts: 457
Registered: ‎02-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions


Everyman wrote:

It was a senator, I think Mitch McConnell, but I checked his math before I posted it, and he's right.  A trillion is a million million.  Multiply 2009 years by 365.25 days a year and you get 733,285.  So spend a million dollars a day and you only get up to $733 billion.  It's scary to think that we taxpayers are going to be on the hook for all that money.  Well, not me because I'll be dead long before the bill comes due, but my kids and grandkids. 

 

Sad.  Very sad.  

 

But we should probably not talk politics here -- too depressing!  On to Sag Harbor, which is a village not that much bigger than our little town here on the island, but on a MUCH bigger island than ours!  And of course on the other ocean.  Though it's hard in a way to think of Long Island these days as a real island, with so many bridges linking it to everywhere.   True islands don't have bridges to the world -- that's what makes them so special!


I though a trillion was a thousand million.  I feel much poorer now. 

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
Posts: 683
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About the First Look Book Club


dhaupt wrote:
Happy Birthday and stay safe Viv, the weather tormenting you hit us last night (St. Louis Metro area), but fortunately not as much damage just some flooded roads and power outages.

Judging by the winds outside my house, I'd say that it's made it to NJ today!

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
Posts: 276
Registered: ‎12-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: About the First Look Book Club


Jo6353 wrote:

dhaupt wrote:
Happy Birthday and stay safe Viv, the weather tormenting you hit us last night (St. Louis Metro area), but fortunately not as much damage just some flooded roads and power outages.

Judging by the winds outside my house, I'd say that it's made it to NJ today!


 

Yes, do stay safe, Viv.  I'm in North County, St. Louis and we just had a power glitch because of the high winds.
Distinguished Correspondent
Jennmarie68
Posts: 127
Registered: ‎02-09-2009
0 Kudos

Questions about how this works.

Ok, I got my book today. I know the discussions don't start till the 16th (can't wait BTW) and I know that in order to be allowed to participate in the future I have to be active.

 

Here are my questions:

1) I know I have to post a review here, but when can I do that? Also I have a blog, and I post reviews on a few other sites, can I post my review on those other sites, and agian is there a date that I have to wait till? 

 

I ask this because in one of the forums on another site a lady mentioned she just got an ARC but wasn't allowed to post the review yet. 

 

2) I also know that I can not sell the book. I donate a lot of my books to my Friends of the Library. Is that ok? 

 

3) If something happens and I can not participate every week will I still be allowed to participate in future First Look book discussions? 

 

Ok I think that is everything I have for now. I'm new to the whole ARC thing and I want to make sure that I follow the rules so I can continue to recieve them. 

 

Thank you,

 

Jennifer

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions about how this works.

Jennifer,

Let me see if I can help you on some of those questions lol. First, as for posting reviews, it really is better to wait until the club is over and close to the end is when they post a thread to do that too. That is to stop end of book spoilers and also, a review can change from when you read it to the end of a book club where you got to discuss it with others.

2. No you can not sell an ARC. I know some libraries do accept them. I am not sure how the author feels about that but as long as they are not selling it either. I have traded one ARC for another with a friend and I really don't think anyone can expect that you might not share it with a friend. Besides, thats more exposure for them and maybe more sales. You just can not sale it and I hate when I see them on Ebay. I am surprised Ebay even allows it. 3. You don't have to participate every day or every week, just when you can and on the threads you want to. As long as you are participating as you can throughout the month. I may not post for a week or two and then read a bunch of discussions I want to post to then and I do hang around for the reviews too. 

 

Hope that helps. :smileyhappy:

 


Jennmarie68 wrote:

Ok, I got my book today. I know the discussions don't start till the 16th (can't wait BTW) and I know that in order to be allowed to participate in the future I have to be active.

 

Here are my questions:

1) I know I have to post a review here, but when can I do that? Also I have a blog, and I post reviews on a few other sites, can I post my review on those other sites, and agian is there a date that I have to wait till? 

 

I ask this because in one of the forums on another site a lady mentioned she just got an ARC but wasn't allowed to post the review yet. 

 

2) I also know that I can not sell the book. I donate a lot of my books to my Friends of the Library. Is that ok? 

 

3) If something happens and I can not participate every week will I still be allowed to participate in future First Look book discussions? 

 

Ok I think that is everything I have for now. I'm new to the whole ARC thing and I want to make sure that I follow the rules so I can continue to recieve them. 

 

Thank you,

 

Jennifer


 

 

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Correspondent
Jennmarie68
Posts: 127
Registered: ‎02-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Questions about how this works.

Vivian,

 

Thank you for your help. That answered all of my questions for me :-) 

 

I'm excited about this book, not only because it's my first ARC but because I just finished the first chapter and it seems like it's going to be a pretty good book!

 

Again, thank you

 

-Jennifer

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions about how this works.

One more unsolicited suggestion.  Read as much as you can before the 16th, because typically there's a flood of posting that starts the first day, and if you're not caught up with the reading it's a real challenge to both keep up with the post and read. 

 

And if at all possible, check in at least once a day the first few days of the posting.  That flood of posts typically lasts at least a week (it keeps up if the book is really good and generates a lot of discussion; with other books it tends to drop off), but if you don't check in until day 3 or so you'll most likely be innundated with a flood of posts and get behind and maybe never catch up.  

 

Just a few suggestions from one who's participated in several of the First Look groups.  They're lots of fun, but also take lots of time if you're serious about keeping up with both the reading and all the comments!

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.