Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Jess_H

Re: Family

I wasn't too shocked by the picture that was painted of the family. There was definite foreshadowing earlier in the book that Benji's family was not the perfect "Cosby" family.

Each family member was in their own orbit not truly interacting with each other on a day to day basis. Both boys try to avoid direct confrontation with their father.

Benji and Reggie used to share an orbit but are starting to drift apart. Some of this drifting is brought on by Benji himself who wants to redefine himself as just Ben instead of part of "Benji and Reggie".

Their mother also tries to avoid issues. I am not too shocked that she doesn't mention her children in her bulletted list since after her confrontations with her husband she is probably thinking more of the relationship between her and her husband than of the family as a whole.

Contributor
Mytwoblessings
0 Kudos

This is the first time we see Benji's family together at Sag Harbor. Were you surprised by the picture we get of them?

I was very surprised by the picture of his family as I read more - the emotional abuse, and implied, but unsaid physical abuse of the father. Having worked in the DA's office for domestic violence in the past, it made me uncomfortable, but I totally understood Benji's reaction to his father yelling at his dad.  I did wonder why he never stood up for his mom, but could see at his age, it was all about self preservation.  I had to laugh once the father presented his 'wonderful' chicken and it was burnt to a crisp.   Where all the neighbors aware of his temper and catered to him in order to have a fun, uneventful summer.      

If Benji's position in his family is troubled, then Reggie is even more so. How do the boys cope with what goes on in the household?   Reggie did what most kids would do at that age - stay out of the house as much as possible.  

How does their mother cope? By appeasing the father. She had to do it in order to get along and keep not only herself safe, but hopefully the kids themselves.  As long as none of them set him off, they were fine.   I can only imagine what life was like for her during the week when they were back in the city.  

The father was very opinionated and had I'm alway right attitude. He didn't seem very happy and the family walked on eggshells in order to get along.   

Contributor
JAmber
0 Kudos

I was surprised by how both parents act, especially with three children. No one seems to care, as long as you aren't getting in trouble and don't bring them into your happenings. Remember when neither parent noticed Benji's eye. They all avoid eachother. It is really sad. Benji and Reggie aren't alone, look at their friends. They all have broken families. It seems that everyone is so caught up in Sag Harbor, that no one is really looking at themselves or their families.