Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
KristaT
0 Kudos

Re: Final Thoughts

liisa22 wrote:

I had a difficult time getting through the book.  I had lots of hope for it, as I too had grown up at the beach. I just wasn't as into it as I had hoped I would be. It was Ok, readable, but the lack of a cohesive plot threw me for a loop. 

Lisa,

I couldn't agree more. I just finished the book - finally. While it was an interesting read, I just couldn't get into it. I'm usually the type who reads a book in one or two sittings and I found myself putting it down after each chapter and then taking a couple week long break when life got in the way of reading.

To me it was a lot like individual short storied that all had the same characters. Each chapter left me wanting for more. As soon as I got pulled in to the story, it was over and had moved on to something else. There seemed to be a lack of contiguous plot.

On a positive note, the whole Jonni Waffle story-line was great. I worked at a grocery store and a restaurant in high school and I could just picture the scene at the ice cream shoppe. The verbal illustration was perfect.

Overall, the book was OK. It didn't hook me in, but it was well-written and told a story of a life and time I would not have known. I probably wouldn't have picked this book up on my own - which may be part of the reason I wasn't "hooked" - but it was worth reading.

Thanks,

Krista

Frequent Contributor
KCHaughawout
0 Kudos

Re: Final Thoughts

This isn't a book I would normally pick to read but I'm glad that First Look lets me broaden my horizons. If you want to reminisce about the 70s, it will awaken memories. However, the book did jump around and it was difficult to connect the dots.
Karen

"Every burned book enlightens the world."
Ralph Waldo Emerson