Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

[ Edited ]

(ENROLLMENT IS CLOSED) 

We're happy to announce that our next First Look selection is Sag Harbor, a novel by Colson Whitehead.

In this deeply affectionate and fiercely funny coming-of-age novel, Whitehead uses the perpetual mortification of teenage existence and the desperate quest for reinvention to lithely probe the elusive nature of identity, both personal and communal. He will join our discussion in February, months before the book will be published!

You will receive a free advance reading copy and access to the discussion with the author. The ARCs will mail soon and the discussion will begin on February 16. The book club will be visible to the public, but only those enrolled will be able to post on the board and discuss the book with the author and other readers.

While we are happy to share this free book with you, the best way to ensure that we can continue offering this program to readers is for every recipient to come back and participate in the discussion. If you cannot find the time for the discussion that will be conducted from February 16 to March 13, please do not submit a request.

Here is how to enroll (ENROLLMENT IS CLOSED):

1. Sign in  (ENROLLMENT IS CLOSED)
If you are not signed into your book club account, please sign in from the link in the upper left of this page. This is important. If you don't sign in, you will not be able to request a book. If you are having trouble signing in, please click here for more information.

If you are not a registered book club user, you can create an account by clicking on the register link in the upper left of this page. It's easy, and it's free.

2. Submit your information (ENROLLMENT IS CLOSED)
Now that you are signed into your account,  (ENROLLMENT IS CLOSED). A private message (PM) will appear. Your private message must be enabled -- you can find that in Preferences > Display & Privacy Settings.

Now that your private message is open, enter the following information into the window, as described below:

Subject --

Your Message --
name
mailing address, including zip
daytime telephone number

Click "Send Message"
Note the following:
  • This message will be automatically sent to the correct mailbox -- do not insert or replace with additional addresses. We are only accepting registrations there. Please do not attempt to send this message to another account.
  • Be sure to give us all the information required and do not include any other text in this message other than what is requested.
  • These free books are limited, only one per account, per person, please. We will stop taking requests once we run out.
  • Finally, please do not post the requested information on the boards. Your information should only go into a private message.
You only need to send this message once. You'll receive confirmation of your enrollment via private message, not via email. It may take up to a week before this confirmation arrives. Once you get your confirmation, be sure to go to the welcome thread and introduce yourself!

Thanks for your enthusiasm, and for being a part of the Barnes & Noble Book Clubs. If you haven't done so already, please have a look at all our current discussions. There's a lot going on!
Message Edited by Maria_H on 02-23-2009 11:50 AM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Re: How to Get Your Free Reading Copy and Enroll in the Discussion

Thank you Maria,This book is surely one for a very lively discussion,I can just feel it...I am still readging A Fortunate Age..Joanna has been wonderful and her clear concise answers to some readers was very impressive...Will try and post a message for Joanna..sometimes it just doesn't work..have a Good Night..VTC
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

I am concerned that I haven't received a confirmation message yet.  There seems to be limited time to get the book shipped in order to read it before the discussion begins on the 16th.  I have participated in 3 previous First Look discussions and have always received the confirmation message within 2 -3 days.

Carolyn

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

We stated in the sign up instructions to allow for a week before a participant should expect their confirmation.  Thanks for your patience.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Maria,

Thanks for the feedback.  It has been almost a week, but hopefully I will get confirmation soon.  I look forward to participating.  I love this Book Club!

Carolyn

Contributor
LisaMM80
0 Kudos

I've been trying to follow the directions for signing up for the Sag Harbor book club and I can't seem to do it!  I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.  I've been involved in 2 other First Look book clubs, although I couldn't sign in under my original name (it said it didn't recognize my email address, which has not changed) so I signed up again with a slightly different name..  but I was involved in the book club for THe Sister by Poppy Adams and for Songs for the Missing by Stewart O Nan.  I'd LOVE to be involved in Sag Harbor if it's not too late, but I don't know what to do.  I can't figure this out!!  HELP!
Contributor
LisaMM80
0 Kudos

Oh, nevermind!!  It worked this time!  Hopefully it's not too late.
New User
ColletteLW
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by rkubie on 02-18-2009 11:07 PM
New User
Carli
0 Kudos

I want to join the group but I cannot get signed on to have the current novel sent to me.