Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K

Thanks to Colson Whitehead, Bill Thomas, and our group!

[ Edited ]

I'd like to thank Colson and Bill from all of us for joining our discussion his month. You've provided us with an excellent novel and wonderful company! I am taken by how many of us relate so closely to Benji, from the lower corner of Texas to the Upper West Side!

Colson, I hope we'll see you again with your next novel.

And thanks to the group! As always, it's been a pleasure reading with you!

Rachel

Message Edited by rkubie on 03-11-2009 12:19 AM
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Thanks to Colson Whitehead, Bill Thomas, and our group!

Many thanks to Rachel, the B&N staff, and my fellow participants for a great book discussion! Colson and Bill, it has been a pleasure to have you with us, and to read your responses to our questions. I wish you great success with this and future books!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
dhaupt

I want to mirror what Rachel said and also take the time to thank her and Maria for making this such a great experience.

Colson, thank you for a wonderful look into the growing pains and pleasures of your brood of characters, they made me smile, angered me and opened my eyes to how differently we each perceive the world around us. 

I really enjoy the other participants and the rabble we rouse in each other by viewing and discussing each other's views.

This is such a unique quorum, and I'm just so thankful that B&N let's us be involved in it. 

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I want to mirror what Rachel said and also take the time to thank her and Maria for making this such a great experience.

Colson, thank you for a wonderful look into the growing pains and pleasures of your brood of characters, they made me smile, angered me and opened my eyes to how differently we each perceive the world around us. 

I really enjoy the other participants and the rabble we rouse in each other by viewing and discussing each other's views.

This is such a unique quorum, and I'm just so thankful that B&N let's us be involved in it. 

I couldn't have said this any better.  Thank you all for making my first experience with First Look Book Club so rewarding.

Kathy 

Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

Thanks B&N, Rachel, and Maria for another great First Look Read!  Also, big thanks to Colson Whitehead and his editor, Bill Thomas.  Colson was a great sport; spending time with us and taking the time to answer our posts/questions individually!  And thanks to the other participants for such a lively discussion. 
"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Debbie stole my thoughts and said them better than I could. 

dhaupt wrote:

Great discussion and wonderful book.  Thank you everyone. 

Frequent Contributor
Darbys_Closet
0 Kudos

Thank you Colson, Bill and all of those at B&N that made this dicsussion possible!  Chats with the author about the author's work, for me brings personal depth, feeling and attachment to the book, more so than I would of received from reading the book on my own.  It's a win-win for all involved; the readers gain additional appreciation and the author's receive great publicity thru the member's interaction.  I just so love this age of communication!!!

Thanks Again!

Darby

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Tarri, you can't see me but I'm blushing.

Thanks 

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Tarri, you can't see me but I'm blushing.

Thanks 

Yes, I can :smileywink:  and you're welcome.

Inspired Contributor
canterbear
0 Kudos

A big thanks to everyone who made this group possible. And to the leaders and each of the members.  B&N is a great place to learn, read and share.  Over the years I have enjoyed these groups so very much.

And a thanks to Colon and Bill for letting us evaluate this book.

Doreen 

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

This was quite the experience, reading this novel by you Colson. I learned things I never would have known due to the fact I am not from that area and have never visited that area either.

Aren't all childhoods filled with fond memories and not so faded out mischief that we recall.? This was a great book and I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks to Rachel and Maria  for all your direction that we take lightly but so counts for our smooth journey meandering through tunnels of reading on this site. 

Thanks to all  my fellow readers for your attention to this book  and your  comments were so helpful to me.

Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

I'd like to thank everyone, too--Colson, Bill, Rachel, Maria and fellow reader-participants.  This has been a really good First Look experience, and I appreciate the parts all have played in making it happen.

Joan

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

I would like to add my thanks to you, Colson, for sharing your wonderful book with us in this forum and for taking part in our discussions and providing your insights!

Many thanks to you, Bill, also, for providing us with this excellent novel and for joining us here.

Best of luck to you both!

Thanks to B&N for this opportunity, as well, especially Rachel and Maria, and many thanks to my fellow First Look book club members!

Best wishes to all,

Dawn

Inspired Correspondent
jclay26
0 Kudos

I would like to say thank you to everyone. I think it is such a wonderful gift when authors allow us an advanced view of their work and also that they allow us to interact with them. Thank you Mr. Whitehead, Bill Thomas, Rachel, Barnes and Noble, and everyone else that was involved in helping make this happen. Thank you for sharing your time and your hard work!

I also want to thank all the discussants because they help to open my eyes to things I do not see and make my book reading experience so much more enjoyable!

What you have to do...is trust your own story. Get the hell out of the way and let it tell itself. - Tim O'Brien; The Things They Carried
Inspired Contributor
mapleann
0 Kudos

What a wonderful experience this book has been. It will be a reread for me....someday. I think there is so much more I could get from it. When I read the last chapter I was thinking Mrs. Gardener's name was familiar--why? Hmm, should I have known why James was a little too cozy with her??? Wasn't she the one that came over drunk in the AM and stunk up the bathroom? Double hmm.

Could more pencil marks fit in the margins?

Thanks to all, especially Mr. Colson Whitehead. "Isn't it funny? The way the mind works?" (p. 273) Thanks for letting us in!

Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Thanks to B & N, Rachel, and Maria for another great First Look read!  Thank you Colson and Bill for giving us the privilege of an advanced copy of the book.  I enjoyed reading the book and the book club discussion really enhanced the experience.  Colson, I look forward to reading your next novel.
Frequent Contributor
cocospals
0 Kudos

Thank you to Barnes and Noble for offering us the opportunity to participate in the First Look Club and thank you to Colson Whitehead for offering us the privilage of reading his novel...it truly was a privilage.
Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there - John Wooden