New User
MoMoJo
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi,

I'm Mo and this is my first "First Look" read and look forward to this experience and the discussion. 

I live in Dallas, am an avid reader, and can't wait to start Sag Harbour.

Book Lover
Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Judy from South Florida.  I hope I get selected for this latest First Look pick.  This will be my third First Look book.  I am a reading addict and love being part of the discussions. 
New User
TJTJ
0 Kudos

Excited to start this!
New User
Rototrav
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Robin from Charlotte NC.  I'm looking forward to reading my first Colson Whitehead novel and participating in my first book club!
Contributor
deb-oh
0 Kudos

Hi!  I'm Debbi from the very snowy New Hampshire, Lakes Region.  This has definitely been the winter to sit and read and I am looking forward to reading another First Look book!  They are great and I really enjoy the discussions.  Happy Reading!
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Rototrav wrote:
Hi, I'm Robin from Charlotte NC.  I'm looking forward to reading my first Colson Whitehead novel and participating in my first book club!

Robin- I am just up I77 from you! 

I'm Lisa and I am a teacher from NC. I hope to be selected for this First Look book!  It would be my second- A Fortunate Age is my first.

Message Edited by liisa22 on 01-28-2009 06:44 PM
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
kren250
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! I'm Kelly. I'm 32, married, and currently a stay-at-home parent with three children. I live in a small town in Iowa. I've never done this First Look book club before, and really hope I get to participate! I still haven't received my confirmation message yet, but am keeping  my fingers crossed.

I'm active in several on-line book discussion groups, which is how I heard about this program. Quite possibly I've "seen"some of you on other groups, since I've read about several people in my other groups taking part in this.

New User
Ioanna_Brewer
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Michelle (Mimi or IoIo) and hopefully Sag Harbor will be my first First Look book.  i am a middle school Social Studies teacher, and a avid reader.  I am ALWAYS looking for new, GOOD, literature.
Reader
gimp
0 Kudos

Hi. I'm Debbie, also known as the gimp. I live in CT, where we have had snow, ice and rain today. I have signed up for other discussions this past year, but have been unable to participate. I have multiple sclerosis; fell once and had a compound fracture of my left ankle; right after that "healed," I fell again and broke my left tibia. I have no plans to break anything this year!

I no longer work -- too busy breaking body parts! When I did work, I spent almost 17 years as a librarian. Ten years in a high school library -- the rest of the time as an adult services and reference librarian in a middle-sized library and then I finished my career as the director of a small public library.

I have tried to read the books from this group in between injuries. I was also lucky enough to meet Stewart O'Nan at a discussion at our local library. I'm very sorry to have missed that group online.

I'm looking forward to a good 2009... and no broken body parts! 

Frequent Contributor
nikki824
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! My name is Nicole. I am a dental hygienist and a lover of books. I'm from NY and this is my first time involved in a book club. I look forward to reading this months selection Sag harbor.  I gladly anticipate  expressing my opinions and  reading the opinions of others.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Welcome, everyone!

Has anyone read any other of Colson's novels? I'm in the midst of John Henry Days now. I think his sentences are full of genius, wonderfully funny, and very strange.

I also heard him read here in Charlotte, and had the same impression.

I'm a librarian in "real life" and have a number of his titles have been on top of my TBR stack.

Rachel

Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am in Northern VA and this will be my third time participating in First Look (if I get selected).  I have never read ay of Colson Whitehead's novels, but this one sounds very interesting.  I paticipated in "A Fortunate Age", and I really have mixed feelings about the book.  This is one of the reasons why I like First Look, you get the opportunity to experience books that you may not typically chose.  I am looking forward to the opporunity to try a new book!  (Fingers crossed)  :smileyhappy:

"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
New User
ReggieH
0 Kudos

Enjoyed the excerpt in The New Yorker a few weeks ago, and l'm

looking forward to reading _Sag Harbor_ (thanks for the invite Rachel!:smileyhappy:

A Whitehead fan from _The Intutionist_ on

r

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm IBIS and live in Boston. After I finish this post, I plan to shovel about 10 inches of snow off my driveway.

"Sag Harbor" will be my 4th First Look book... all of the earlier books have been wonderful reading experiences for me...

I'm a violinist with the BSO and in the middle of the 2009 season.... rehearsals and performances take up big chunks of mytime, so I can't log on and share in the conversations as much as I would like. Summertime, when the orchestra is in hiatus, is when I have more leisure time... then I'm on-line more frequently. I join in as much as my free time allows.

Thank you to B&N and you, Rachel for moderating.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
New User
Larry_Krone
0 Kudos

Hi Rachel & everyone!  Looking forward to this!

Larry

Reader 2
jpohedra
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Jennifer and I'm from Northern Virginia.  I'm looking forward to reading Sag Harbor and being an active participant in the resulting discussions.  This book looks very interesting; can't wait to get started!

-Jennifer

~Jennifer~
dhaupt
0 Kudos

As for me Rachel I'm a Colson Whitehead virgin so I'm really excited to dig into this book without any pre conceived ideas.
Correspondent
detailmuse
0 Kudos

ReggieH wrote:

Enjoyed the excerpt in The New Yorker a few weeks ago

Ooh, thank you. While looking up the issue, I found this New Yorker interview with the author about the book. Sounds like a funny, unscripted sort of guy!

I'm in Chicago, looking forward to temps above freezing this weekend (for the first time this year?)

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Have any of you actually received your confirmation or are you just posting in anticipation?

I registered at 2:29 PM on the 26th and my e-mail has yet to be read (still in bold in my sent box) let alone confirmed. Getting nervous as the discussion is set to start on the 16th of February - not much time.

Cathy

New User
AR80
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Tanya, this will be my first reading I'm doing with the group.  I just recently signed up & looking forward to my first discussion of the book Sag Harbor.

Thanks,

Tanya