Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hello Everyone:

My name is Cathy and I just received my confirmation. :smileyvery-happy: I can't wait to read Sag Harbor -

it sounds like it will be a great read. I haven't read anything else by Colson Whitehead but,

may have to after I read Sag Harbor. I am always on the lookout for another author to

read.  I have participated in other first looks and am quite pleased with the selection.

CathyB

Frequent Contributor
learningdragon
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am an avid reader, and am looking forward to participating in the discussion group. This will be my first experience with this type of forum.

Reader 2
Artistwriter
0 Kudos

I'm excited to read this author for the first time.

My name is Deb and I live in Long Island, NY.  We have a place near Sag Harbor which is a beautiful area should you want to come and explore for yourself.  What I love most about this forum is reading everyone's insights, it is actually amazing at times and adds so much to the experience.  Can't wait!

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Katie from Charlottesville, Virginia, and this club will be my fifth First Look. I'm looking forward to receiving my book in the mail (my confirmation came today) and to reading it and participating in discussions with you all.

The last time we did a previously published author, I read a lot of his stuff before I got the ARC, and I think I got a little burned out by the time we got to discussion, so I'm going to let Sag Harbor be my first encounter with Colson Whitehead (also, I'm mid-semester and already behind in my work--theoretically I am going to read Moby Dick by 2 tomorrow!)

So off to read! See you all in a few weeks!

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I received my confirmation message and am very excited to be part of this new First Look discussion. My name is Donna, and I love to read all kinds of books. This one looks very good, and I can't wait to start the discussion.  :smileywink:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
Thryth
0 Kudos

Hi!  My name is Lori, and I live in the Greater Seattle area in Auburn, WA.  I've read three of the books from First Look, and while I wouldn't recommend any of those books to other readers, it's still been a great experience participating in the discussions about those books .  I am really looking forward to reading Colson Whitehead's book, Sag Harbor, with quite a bit of enthusiasm.  It sounds like a wonderful coming of age story that might just deal with some very timely issues relating to a young teenage boy growing up in two vastly (or are they really?) different societies.  I can't wait to get my hands on the book and start reading.
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I just got my notice that I will be participating in the Sag Harbor discussion.  I really enjoy the First Look Book Club, because I get to read books I might not read.

My name is Tarri and I live in Washington state, midway between Seattle and the Canadian border.   I am retired, so I have a lot of time to read, knit, and mow the lawn.  This is my  seventh (I think) First Look book and I can't wait to read and discuss.  

Frequent Contributor
Sassy398
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!!!  I'm from Orchard Park,NY this is my 5th Arc and I get very happy when

a new Arc is available...Been with the  First Look Book Club  for over a year and feel very privy to be

apart of this club...I am not a mod for the club but if I can be of help, let me know...:smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

Just got my confirmation as well!  Perhaps the book will arrive by the weekend.  So excited!

Candi

Candi
Frequent Contributor
x-tempo
0 Kudos

Hi, Steve here. I've participated in some good book discussions led by Rachel including Ian McEwan's "Saturday" and Arthur Phillips's "Angelica," so I look forward to this one too. I read "John Henry Days" in June 2001 which I bought in hardcover at the B&N in Melbourne, FL, however, I must have bought "The Intuitionist" at the same time because I finished it first. They're both excellent but very different. JHD's structure seems really original. "Colossus of New York," which is not a novel, is also excellent.
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

Just got my confirmation and I'm looking forward to reading Sag Harbor. I have not read anything by this author and look forward to something new. Love the First Look Club. Lots of great people with great ideas for discussions. See you all soon.
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm Suzi and I'm very excited to be participating in the Sag Harbor book club.  I have Colson Whitehead's "The Intuitionist" in my to be read pile as we speak, so I'm very excited to be reading his latest novel.  I can't wait to get started.

See you all on Feb. 16!

Suzi

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Frequent Contributor
Sarita_Li
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I believe it's the Winter Fiction issue, dated Dec 22 & 29, 2008.

bud12 wrote:
Can anyone recall what issue of the New Yorker had the excerpt of this book? Many thanks, Jo  

Message Edited by Sarita_Li on 2009-03-12 03:12 PM
Sarita Li
Inspired Correspondent
jclay26
0 Kudos

Hello! My name is Janice and I live in Central Kentucky. My two children and I are recovering from a major ice storm and four days without electricity. What an eye-opening experience that was!

I am so glad to get the chance to participate in another First Look discussion. This book looks great and I cannot wait to get started reading it!

What you have to do...is trust your own story. Get the hell out of the way and let it tell itself. - Tim O'Brien; The Things They Carried
Contributor
cheer4lvw
0 Kudos

Hi!  I'm Michelle.  This is my 4th first look book through B&N.  I am an elementary school teacher who wishes she had more time to read.  I try to find a balance between books to challenge me, books to entertain me, and children's books.  I just finished Wuthering Heights for the 3rd time! 

I can't wait to read another "adult" book!

Frequent Contributor
Sarita_Li
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone!

My name is Sarita, and I'm a landlocked sailor (currently living in Bloomington, Indiana). I teach preshool by day and I write... well... also by day!

I'm really looking forward to reading Sag Harbor and to having great conversations with all of you!

:smileywink:

Fair winds!

Sarita Li
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Hello! I am Dawn from Long Island and I am so looking forward to reading Sag Harbor and discussing it with the group....Thank you Barnes & Noble and Colson Whitehead for this opportunity!
Contributor
Randie_CC
0 Kudos

Hi there.  I'm Randie and new to this book club.  In fact, it's been a long time since I've done a book discussion, but I love to read.  I'm really looking forward to reading the book and the discussion that follows.  Talk to you soon!
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! My name is April and I live in Nebraska with my husband and dog. I just got my confirmation for Sag Harbor. Yay! This will be my third First Look. I loved the other First Looks and know this one will be great also. I am looking forward to receiving the book and participating in the discussion.
April
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

Hello---I'm from Northwest NJ.  This book sounds great. I have never read anything from this author.  Can't wait to get started.