Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
cindysloveofbooksarcCS
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi Everyone. My name is Cindy. I am a stay at home mom. My son is in kindergarden. He is almost 6 but at times I feel as though he is going on 16. LOL. I live in the burbs of Montreal, Quebec (Canada). I have lived here for 13 years now. Before that I was raised in a little Northern community in New Bruswick. This will be my 3rd First Look book. My first one was Queens of Mightyville and I am still reading A Fortunate Age. I am an avid reader and book blogger. I have never heard of this author before but the book sounds really good. Can't wait to read it and discuss it with everyone here. Happy Reading everyone
Inspired Contributor
drbjaded
0 Kudos

Hello everyone.  My name is Julie and this is my second book with First Look Book Club.  I LOVED participating in the first one and hope this next book is as good at the first one.  Looking forward to reading it.  I'm from Texas, an administrative assistant and I love to read.  Have a wonderful day!

Julie

"You cannot love life until you live the life you love."
Frequent Contributor
kboston
0 Kudos

Hello!  My name is Kim.  This will be my second first look book club read, can't wait!
Frequent Contributor
Guerneymember12
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is my third time to participate in this book club and each time I have learned so much from what the other partcipants have to say and what I have to say by making myself think about the questions!

This book looks different, not like something I would pick up at the book store and sometimes those end up being my favorites!  That's why I love book clubs!

Guerney

New User
Abra
0 Kudos

Hi,

Im Abra from Staten Island, NY.  Just joined the "First Look" and I'm not sure what to do next since I am not at all talented with computers.

I work in the commercial insurance industry and have for almost 40 years.  I have four grown sons and five grandchildren.

I spend most of my spare time with my head stuck in a book or with an audiobook playing on my walkman.

Can't get enough of good mysteries.

Looking forward to reading the next mystery book by JD Robb or the next Nora Roberts novel.  I'm a huge fan of hers.

Abra in Staten Island, NY
Frequent Contributor
PinkBaby
0 Kudos

hi im sara and im very excited about our new book cant wait to get started:smileyhappy:
Contributor
Silvia
0 Kudos

Hi,my name is Silvia and I am an avid reader. This will be my first time participating in First Look. I haven't read anything by this Author before and I am exited for the opportunity to read a new Author and sharing opinions about the book.
Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

This is my first time being a part of First Look and I am very excited.  I am an avid reader.  I currently belong to two book clubs and co-author a very simple quarterly newsletter for readers which reviews 12 books each issue.  I am a speech pathologist and recently retired.  In addition to reading, I love knitting (as I see several others do as well) and spending time with my two young grandchildren.

I am really looking forward to hearing all of your comments about this book and can't wait for my copy to be delivered.

Kathy P 

Contributor
pjmama
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.

My name is Sharla and I'm a SAHM and former English teacher in SD.  I love reading...to myself and to my kids...and even writing a little.  This is my 4th First look and I've loved the books...especially the last couple.  I like reading the posts, but don't do so well keeping up, so I'm hoping to do better this time around.  I look forward to discussing with all of you. 

Contributor
mjc_813
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. My name is Melissa and I am really excited as this will be my first book club.  I have been married for thirteen years and a mother of two beautiful girls.  I also work as a Paralegal for Tax attorney, so this is the busy season.  Anyway, I am very excited and I cannot wait to receive the book.  So, happy reading everyone and talk to you soon.

Contributor
Bluediamond
0 Kudos

Hi, My name is Tracey from Dallas, TX. I'm so excited to try my first bookclub with B&N! I can't wait to get started.
Contributor
LisaMM80
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I'm Lisa, married mom of 2, book blogger and book club leader (in a face to face club).   Assuming I get in (which I'm not sure of- I may be late to this party), this would be my 3rd B & N First Look book.  I was here for The Sister by Poppy Adams and for Songs for the Missing by Stewart O Nan.  It was wonderful to be a part of those discussions and I look forward to reading Sag Harbor with all of you!

New User
chevy79653
0 Kudos

My name is Laura Goodwin and I am a 911 Operator for the City of Houston. I live in Conroe, Texas,  This is my first experience with the First Look. I am excited to be here!
Contributor
grapes63
0 Kudos

Hi Laura,

I'm glad to meet you. I haven't received my First Look book yet. I can't wait to get it in the mail. I live in SE Tn.

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Hi, I am Vivian from Oklahoma. I have been in all but the last first look club. I see my pm got read so will be looking forward to discussing the book with you all when I get it and start reading. Hope its a great read, then it can be my birthday gift from B&N :smileywink: lol.

Hey, good to see you here.  Missed you last time with "A Fortunate Age".
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I started out in it, but had some health issues and other things and just couldn't do it, but I did join in on the bookclub I had already finished, The Lace Reader here with the author for the month. I love when the author is here for the whole month (the new reads club). Its a shame more people don't check those out. We used to have a selection of at least 3 of those, maybe its because its just one now and some people just aren't interested in that one particular book, but I feel bad for the authors who are willing to give their time to the whole month and only maybe 4 people in there cause everyone crowds the free books here. Some of those with the author here for a month are first time authors too and really great books! In December, the book, The Good Thief was by a first time author and a really good book! Anyway, February's book seems to be following a theme of what those books are, so I decided to come try in here again instead, so yep, I will be around. :smileywink:

EbonyAngel wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
Hi, I am Vivian from Oklahoma. I have been in all but the last first look club. I see my pm got read so will be looking forward to discussing the book with you all when I get it and start reading. Hope its a great read, then it can be my birthday gift from B&N :smileywink: lol.

Hey, good to see you here.  Missed you last time with "A Fortunate Age".

Message Edited by vivico1 on 02-05-2009 09:40 AM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
New User
TorQuer
0 Kudos

Hello All

My name is Kevin, I live in Brooklyn NY. I recently read an excerpt of this book in The New Yorker and thought it was terrific, I can't wait to find out more. My family has been going out to Sag Harbor during the summers since my dad was a boy, and I spent a good deal of time out there myself growing up in the '80s, so I am very interested in reading about Colson Whitehead's experiences.

Contributor
kolsonheld
0 Kudos

Hello! I'm Karin from North Dakota, and I've participated in a few of these now. I also like these First Looks because they put a new book in my hands that I might not otherwise read. I'm looking forward to seeing UPS at my door sometime soon!
Karin
Inspired Contributor
pode
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

This is my first First Look Book Club experience.  I'm a Minnesota wife, daughter, mother, sister, grandmother and friend.  Reading is my favorite activity.  Looking forward to reading SAG HARBOR and seeing how this all works.

Paulette

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"
â Henry Ward Beecher
Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Barb and this is my first First Look book.  I'm excited about the concept and looking forward to receiving my copy and getting involved!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx