Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CathieS
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

cheer4lvw wrote:

Hi!  I'm Michelle.  This is my 4th first look book through B&N.  I am an elementary school teacher who wishes she had more time to read.  I try to find a balance between books to challenge me, books to entertain me, and children's books.  I just finished Wuthering Heights for the 3rd time! 

I can't wait to read another "adult" book!

Hi Michelle,

I have never had the opportunity to read Wuthering Heights.  Way back in the day.... (early 70's) when I was in High School it was one of 4 reading choices one semester along with Les Miserables another choice that I didn't make.  It struck me when you mentioned it because I just finished New Moon and Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer and she mentions Wuthering Hights quite a bit too.  I think something is telling me it's time to pick it up.

Cathie

Frequent Contributor
CathieS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm Cathie and I'm from the southeastern part of Massachusetts.  I've had the opportunity to participate in a few of the other First Looks and this book sounds like it's going to be the best yet.  I work full time so I don't have as much time to read as I would like and needless to say my "To Be Read" pile of books is always 6 or 7 books ahead of me.  I'm the mother of two grown sons that I'm very proud and a very precious granddaugher.   When I'm not reading or working I'm probably off somewhere playing bridge. 

Life is good and I have much to be thankful for.

Message Edited by CathieS on 02-08-2009 09:03 PM
Contributor
Jusship
0 Kudos

I am half a world away in Singapore and received my book on Saturday...
Frequent Contributor
deannafrances
0 Kudos

i received my book in the mail on Thursday and am going to start reading it today.

This is my second first look book.

I live here in snowy cold Michigan --but the thaw has started --making everyone smile.

Is Sag Harbor In Maine?

Is the clothing line have anything to do with the town? 

Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

gimp wrote:

I was also lucky enough to meet Stewart O'Nan at a discussion at our local library. I'm very sorry to have missed that group online.

Hi Gimp,

How was meeting Stewart O'Nan?  I was a part of that discussion of his book "Songs for the Missing".  I would have loved to meet him and talk to him about his book.

I hope you don't break anything else.  Good luck!

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Frequent Contributor
candeny6
0 Kudos

deannafrances wrote:

i received my book in the mail on Thursday and am going to start reading it today.

This is my second first look book.

I live here in snowy cold Michigan --but the thaw has started --making everyone smile.

Is Sag Harbor In Maine?

Is the clothing line have anything to do with the town? 

Sag Harbor is in New York.  Near the Hamptons.

Candi

Candi
Inspired Contributor
fifenhorn
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! My name is Linda and this is my first time with the First Look bookclub. My sister told me about it and I'm glad she did.  I was going to do the January club, but was in the process of moving to South Carolina, so I waited for the February book. I signed up while living in a hotel, waiting to move into my new home! I was actually a bit surprised when the book came, as I have been overwhelmed with the unpacking and setting up house. But I look foward to reading and discussing Sag Harbor.

Linda

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

I received my book Friday.  I will start reading this week.  I don't see a schedule for discussion yet.  I thought we were to start next Monday, so I need to get goiong.  I am excited about this book.

MG

Frequent Contributor
Darbys_Closet
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone, my name is Darby.  My book arrived this past Saturday and I have read the first couple of pages.  This is my second read with B&N's First Look program and I'm excited to be included, my first book here was "A Fortunate Age" and the discussions were great!!!
Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

I received my book on Friday.  I can't wait to jump in and start reading it!  I plan on gettting started later this week!  :smileywink:  I think this book will make for some lively discussions.  Looking forward to discussing it with everyone!

"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

got my book today too. I have started to read it. It should be a quick read, just FYI for those still waiting. I am reading another book too, so good thing they are very very different books lol. I am not able to read 3-4 books at a time like I used to. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36
0 Kudos

fifenhorn wrote:

Hello everyone! My name is Linda and this is my first time with the First Look bookclub. My sister told me about it and I'm glad she did.  I was going to do the January club, but was in the process of moving to South Carolina, so I waited for the February book. I signed up while living in a hotel, waiting to move into my new home! I was actually a bit surprised when the book came, as I have been overwhelmed with the unpacking and setting up house. But I look foward to reading and discussing Sag Harbor.

Linda

Welcome sister dear :smileyhappy: -- look forward to getting into this discussion :smileyhappy: Enjoy
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi S,from Vermont.I work at a Ski Resort,pt,I love to knit and read also love good coffee,an skiing,and Barnes and noble book clubs This is my 2nd FL,and just picked it up at the PO...will start it as soon as I can today...I know this will be an interesting  discussion group,I have noticed more men than usual,I always like to hear other viewpoints..going to make some coffe now and sit on my prch...Vtc
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
JAmber
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Amber. I love my family, reading, cooking, animals, gardening and anything to do with arts & crafts. Sag Harbor will be my first book to review and discuss from the First Look Book Club. I got a confirmation today, I can't wait to start reading it. I haven't read any other Colson Whitehead books.

Contributor
chiheatherlove
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I'm Heather in Chicago... looking forward to reading this one.
Contributor
RedRaindrops66
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Shannon. I live in MA, where my husband works for the Coast Guard. We have a 15 month old son. I'm a stay-at-home mom, and I love love love to read.
New User
somergatlin1223
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!

I'm really excited to start reading this book, it looks really interesting.  I just barely registered today, so we'll see how long it takes me to get it.

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Hi, I am Cora from Northern California. I am looking forward to reading Colson Whitehead's book. I haven't read any of his writing before. And I am also new to discussion. This is a treat. Looking forward to Sag Harbor's arrivable. Thank you
Contributor
dreyslibrary
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I'm Audrey, from Wisconsin. This is my first First Look, and my first book club. I am really looking forward to this!  I've never done this before - so do we just "show up" on the 16th? Any time? (or did I miss something?)

I work full-time, and blog about books and reading.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone! For those keeping track, Sag Harbor made it to Nebraska today. I love having a present waiting for me when I get home from work!:smileyhappy:
April