Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
tamfish1
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi Susan,

I'm still waiting for my book so I hope it gets here soon.  This is my first time with First Look and my first book club.  Can't wait,

Tammy

Tamfish1
New User
Ruareader
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Iris A. Smith. I live in the Atlanta area and this is my first "First look Book Club" participation. I'm looking forward to this and future discussions.

rkubie wrote:
Welcome to First Look! I'm Rachel Kubie, and I'm excited to be moderating a book club for Colson Whitehead's new novel, Sag Harbor. Can't wait for us to get reading! Please use this space to introduce yourselves.

ns. I LOVE to read and discuss books.
New User
geraldmpiper
0 Kudos

Hello, everyone.  My name is Jerry, Brooklyn resident, just finished "Apex Hides the Hurt," and I'm currently reading "The Colossus of New York."  Looking forward to the discussion!
Contributor
spaced57
0 Kudos

Hi, My name is Danette and UPS just delivered Sag Harbor today.

I'm looking forward to this  discussion.

I've never done this before, but since I read so much and collect books, I decided

it was time to share with others.

Sag Harbor sounds interesting and isn't anything I've read before.

Danette

New User
peg0myheart
0 Kudos

Hello,

My name is Peggy I live in the East Village of Manhattan behind my shop.  I rarely read novels but joind First Look just to get Colson Whiteheads latest as soon as I could. 

I happened on a copy of Apex and am now a true believer in Mr. Whiteheads power to explain if not the world at least his world.

Apex was a delight.

The Intuitionist weirded me out (in a good way)

John Henry Days should be on every high school reading list

I hope every one reading Sag Harbor will treat themselves to his other works. 

Happy reading to all, Peggy

New User
Sylvss
0 Kudos

Hello! It's my first time here -- I just received my book, and I live in... Brazil! Yeah, thanks, Barnes & Noble.

I will start to read now!

Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

This is my first First Look.  Started reading The Intuitionist while waiting for Sag Harbor.  There are so many of us from so many places!  Very exciting!  I am enjoying all the various comments.  I live in a suburb west of Minneapolis and work parttime, have 3 adult children living closeby, am married and have a Border Collie.
ponie
New User
WJM_Book_Lover
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I'm Wanda and very excited about being part of the First Look  Book Club.  This is my first time participating and the first Colson Whitehead book I've read.  Lookfing forward to interesting discussion.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Welcome and Thank you for your thoughts on Colson Whiteheads Books..trying to decide on the next one....Sag Harbor is a wonderful insightful book...I had help posting a Map of Sag Harbor..Hope you can find it.Its a Great Community of Readers,writers..and peolple Do Care Here,for real...VTC..My 1st tie up sandles were made in the E.Village  Vtc
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hi Peggy, 

I too read "Apex Covers the Hurt" as well as "The Intuitionist".

I was gripped by both Mr. Whitehead's writing (very fresh, irreverent) as well as his stories. And you're right about his ability to open up his intriguing view of the world to his readers.

I'm hope that we can discuss his other works when he visits us. 

peg0myheart wrote:

Hello,

My name is Peggy I live in the East Village of Manhattan behind my shop.  I rarely read novels but joind First Look just to get Colson Whiteheads latest as soon as I could. 

I happened on a copy of Apex and am now a true believer in Mr. Whiteheads power to explain if not the world at least his world.

Apex was a delight.

The Intuitionist weirded me out (in a good way)

John Henry Days should be on every high school reading list

I hope every one reading Sag Harbor will treat themselves to his other works. 

Happy reading to all, Peggy

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
hoot
0 Kudos

I am a 25 year old Nanny in Chicago. I read daily and love discovering new and different novels. I read all types of books, typically 2 per week.

This is my first, First Look book. 

www.bellasnovella.com
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

tamfish1 wrote:

Hi Karen,

I'm from Missouri and have always been here.  I'm jealous that you have your book

and can't wait to get mine so I can discuss with everyone.

Writing from my classroom so have to go,

Tammy

Hi.  What part of Missouri are you from?
Contributor
StellaBee
0 Kudos

My name is Melanie.  I just got my book on Feb. 21.  I plan to start reading later tonight.  I'm looking forward to the discussion.

Contributor
tamfish1
0 Kudos

I'm  about 20 miles north of Columbia, MO.  Columbia, if you don't know Missouri, is half way between St. Louis and

Kansas City.  I finally received my book and what I've read I've really liked.  It goes along very well with everyone's

discussions.  I didn't feel like I missed anything after reading the discussions and the book.  I'm still behind

because I had my 4 grandsons this weekend and that took my time.  I WILL get caught up this week.

Tammy

Tamfish1
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hey tamfish,

I'm from St. Charles county and we have a few others from St. Louis I know EbonyAngel is from St. Louis. It's nice to have a new neighbor join. 

Contributor
tamfish1
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie,

I'm Tammy and I just got my book, also.  I can't wait to get started.  I read the responses to the posts and

it has filled me in a little on the story.  I'm also enjoying the discussions.

Tammy

Tamfish1
Contributor
tamfish1
0 Kudos

I was glad to see others from Missouri.  It made me feel right at home.  Someone posted about the horrible cold last week and I could sympathise.  I'm getting a late start.  I just got my book this weekend and I also had my 4 grandsons, so reading didn't happen.  I work about 12 hour days Monday-Wed. so I'm not sure how quickly I'll get caught up.  Thanks for responding to me.  I've never done this and I'm not sure I'm doing it right yet.

Happy reading,

Tammy

Tamfish1
Contributor
tamfish1
0 Kudos

Hi,

Brazil!  I knew it was all over the US, but I didn't know this went elsewhere.  That's awesome.  Your English is good.  Are you from here originally or have you studied it over there?  I hope to hear back from you.

Welcome,

Tammy

Tamfish1
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

I am Deb from New Jersey. Just got a confirmation. Waiting on the book. I am looking forward to reading this as well. I teach in high school----so many books, so little time. This will be a great experience.
Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
New User
sjschaaf
0 Kudos

My name is Steph from Minneapolis and this is my first time trying the First Look Bookclub.  I love to read and I look forward to reading Sag Harbor and participating in the discussions.