Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
AMoriarty
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi! My name is Anne and I am from Massachusetts. This is my first time here with the First Look Book Club and I am really looking forward to reading Sag Harbor and being involved in a discussion with readers from all over. I haven't gotten a confirmation yet, so I hope it's ok that I am posting this. But I was curious if this is typical of how long you wait to hear if you were selected. I signed up at 1:08pm on Monday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Anne

New User
SoulSearching
0 Kudos

Hello,

My name is Lisa and I am from hot hot Arizona.  This is also my first involvement in the book club and am very excited to be a part of this club and to be able to do this online is a HUGE plus.

I am a mother of three girls and reading is my passion.

~There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its' hands.

Richard Bach

Frequent Contributor
GSB65
0 Kudos

CathyB wrote:

Have any of you actually received your confirmation or are you just posting in anticipation?

I registered at 2:29 PM on the 26th and my e-mail has yet to be read (still in bold in my sent box) let alone confirmed. Getting nervous as the discussion is set to start on the 16th of February - not much time.

Cathy

I am wondering the same thing.  I sent my email on 1/26 and have yet to receive a confirmation.  I participated in A Fortunate Age discussion and it only took a day or two to receive confirmation.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hi to all of you readers out there in cyber space. I am a old soul on this club of many clubs on this board. I have been a member of Barnes and Noble reads before it was called a book club. It was Barnes and Noble University a few years back. I live in the Central part of Virginia, near all the beautiful mountains and not far from our east coast. I am retired and so I can read alot of my time away. But it doesn't dwindle needlessly. I have learned alot from reading in the last few years.  Happy reading to us all.
New User
chicaro
0 Kudos

I recently finished my master's degree after delaying it for decades and now I can read for pleasure again. Any idea when we will receive the free advance copy download? Thanks.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

Regarding questions about books arriving in the mail: This is my first "First Look," too, but I know the admins have always been excellent about getting materials to me quickly. I'll ask about what happens when books run out, and how we notify the book club members.

Note that it might take up to a week to get your confirmation by private message (pm) and that you won't get anything by regular email.

And, being new to "First Look" myself, I'm happy to see some of my reading friends in the crowd, and look forward to hearing from those of you I haven't met in the book clubs yet. I know we've got some excellent readers in the group!

Rachel

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi...Looking forward to reading,discussing "Sag Harbor"Colsom Whitehead has quite a background,..Lots of history out there on Sag Harbor..lets be surprised!  VtCozy 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
New User
JoanValerie
0 Kudos

Hi...

I'm a novice at First Look.  I am anxious to begin participating although I don't know if I will know how.  I am looking forward to reading Sag Harbor. I am a hospice RN and am working part time as a nursing supervisor in SNF.  I live in North Pole, Alaska...a land that is most beautiful and pristine.  I moved here 6 mos. ago to live with my son and be able to retire...haha...I love working and what I do.  I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pa.  I am 70 yrs. old.  GO STEELERS!!!!

Joan

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JoanValerie wrote:

Hi...

I'm a novice at First Look.  I am anxious to begin participating although I don't know if I will know how.  I am looking forward to reading Sag Harbor. I am a hospice RN and am working part time as a nursing supervisor in SNF.  I live in North Pole, Alaska...a land that is most beautiful and pristine.  I moved here 6 mos. ago to live with my son and be able to retire...haha...I love working and what I do.  I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pa.  I am 70 yrs. old.  GO STEELERS!!!!

Joan

Welcome Joan and all the other newbies.  I'm sure you'll like it here and I think you'll do just fine.  Everybody is very helpful.  Doing your first post is half the battle, the rest is pretty much the same.  North Pole, Alaska, wow, that's really awesome.
Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 02-01-2009 05:54 AM
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:
Hi to all of you readers out there in cyber space. I am a old soul on this club of many clubs on this board. I have been a member of Barnes and Noble reads before it was called a book club. It was Barnes and Noble University a few years back. I live in the Central part of Virginia, near all the beautiful mountains and not far from our east coast. I am retired and so I can read alot of my time away. But it doesn't dwindle needlessly. I have learned alot from reading in the last few years.  Happy reading to us all.

Good to see you again kiakar.  I remember the BNU days too.  Although I've changed names a few times.  I'll retire later this year and so look forward to reading more and learning more as well.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Good Morning..VtCozy again..So glad you found BN book Clubs..This is my 2nd First Look,and have become addicted to this venue for every kind of reader..If you scroll down a bit another Alaskan  Mapleann is also on here...have a great time here,and everyone is very helpfull w/any questions you may have....From The Best Place to Live...(Surely,I will receive other readers great places to live) 
Correspondent
bud12
0 Kudos

Can anyone recall what issue of the New Yorker had the excerpt of this book? Many thanks, Jo  
Jo
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

try dec. 15,  2008. i don't subscribe so i can't check for sure.
twj
bud12 wrote:
Can anyone recall what issue of the New Yorker had the excerpt of this book? Many thanks, Jo  

Reader
Kobimurphy2002
0 Kudos

Good day everyone. My name is Renee from cold snowy upstate New York. This afternoon I signed up to participate in First Look. I am a college administrator and I look forward to the challenge of reading and discussing the book with everyone.
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Six Degrees of Separation...I think u know what I mean...will get back 2u..Colson ..Googled him of course..just read a bit about him..no spoilers..Peace....so sixties..so important now..
sjj
Contributor
sjj
0 Kudos

Hi all, my name is Stephanie and I am very excited to get my hands on a new read.  I am a college professor, so I thoroughly enjoy reading fiction when I can.  I look forward to discussing Sag Harbor with all of you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Thanks for joining! I think Maria will be posting a notice to check for confirmations as we go along. You'll recieve it by PM--private message--the little envelope at the top of your screen will turn yellow and you'll know you have a message waiting.

Rachel

New User
ReggieH
0 Kudos

It was in the December 22nd "Winter Fiction" Issue. A short story called "The Gangsters". There's also a typically smart-alecky interview with him about the story here

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/tny/2008/12/q-a-colson-whitehead.html

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Marcílio. I'm a Brazilian professor from a small town called Cajazeiras in Brazil. This is my fourth Book Club. It's really amazing to participate of the discussions and I thank BN for the opportunity of a space like this that privileges the act of reading and discussions about books. I'm very curious about this new First look. The plot sounds very interesting and the thematic is a bit polemical. I don't know why the confirmation is lingering so much. Last First looks we had to wait only for two or three days. I know we can receive the confirmation up to a week but my message wasn't even read because it's still in bold in my mailbox. I'm worried about shipping and enough time to read and discuss because discussions will be at February 16th.
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

I am also concerned that I haven't received my confirmation message yet.  I have participated in 3 previous First Look discussions and have always received my confirmation message within 2-3 days.  There is very limited time for the book to be shipped so that there will be time to read it before the discussion starts on the 16th.

Carolyn