Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

Re: Who's out?

Vermontcozy wrote:
I posted a link to a cool Sag Harbor map that our "Leader" Rachel,thought was good,have you found it? Its interactive,very simple...resortmaps.com ,click on New York,then The Hamptons..its right there, vtc

VTC,

Haven't found your cool Sag harbor map.  Which thread is it in?

SandyS

Frequent Contributor
Sassy398
0 Kudos

Who's out...obviously for this particular reading, ot means who's here and who's not

for the start of summer vaction.

Frequent Contributor
Re76
0 Kudos

I loved how this book starts, settling the question of "out." Out refers to going to Sag Harbor, and if  you are unable, the questions of why were next,was it financial or perhaps changes in the families. Then who else is "out", I loved the imagery of "a person in the pleated salmon shorts" that the author gave...stating that he saw ... and they would be out. Its as if life begins once everyone comes "out." A new beginning.

Renee

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi Sandy, I will look for it ,I believe in the community room.in the meantime  resortmaps.com   click on NY State,find The Hamptons located in the Long Island area,click on The Hamptons and Sag Harbor is there,its interactive...anything else you need don't hesitate.. have a cozy night, Susan....
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
nikki824
0 Kudos

Being "out" means to be at Sag Harbor. It means to be away from your everyday life where everything is about fitting in. At Sag Harbor your are amoung your "people" and you are known and respected. If your not "out" then something must be going on. Your either having a rough time (finances divorce or some kind of scandel). Not only being "out" is important but how long your "out" is important to everyone.
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

Who's out talks about who is there for the summer and how long they are there for.  I also believe it is a time for them to brag about how long they are "out" for or when they got out.  It is almost a time for them to try and "one up" each other.  It's an important question because they find out who they will be spending their summer with.  They then also speculate about why people aren't out, 'they are having money trouble', 'they are getting divorced'.

I found it interesting that it isn't just the teenagers that talk about who is out.  Benji mentions at one point that his mother is on the phone talking about who is out.

I liked that the book and chapter started off explaining "who's out" because it got you in the mindset of Benji and the other teenagers.

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Contributor
danikl
0 Kudos

Being a "snow bird", going from the north to the southwest in winter, I can relate to the question of who's "out". When we get to our southwest destination, it begins, who was able to come "out", who wasn't. Some can't come "out" anymore due to health, death, finances and family problems.

Once that question is settled, we can move on to accepting the new differences in our little community.

Frequent Contributor
adopted1

I really enjoyed reading all the responses and definitions of "out".

In my opinion, Mr. Whitehead is not just talking about the 'physical', he is also speaking of the 'emotional'. I understand about the possibilty of those that are not coming out due to their circumstances changing, but I read it as what we believe to be safe is ever changing around us and we (and our parents) have to talk about it to try to make the "new" situation make sense. When the boys are talking about who is and who isn't out, they are facing the reality of life and realizing that their world is not as constant and secure as they thought it was. There was a young girl mentioned that only came out on weekends to visit her Grandmother, and this shows the inconsistencies of life.

I did not see where anyone mentioned the fact that Reggie and Benji's Mom and Dad left them there to go back to the city to work. Does this not show that there is a strong possibility they may be the next ones not to come "out"? It turned into an unsupervised summer camp. They worked the "Even Stephen" system because they were only able to work their situation out with a childs game. And then they had to get jobs to survive. They hung around with, I believe his name was Clive, which afforded them the opportunity to remember they were still young. What about the other adults mentioned that just came out on the weekend?

I believe that coming "out" was not just about who was going to be on vacation for the summer, but it was also about coming "into" one self.

adopted1
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Adopted1,

Thanks for bringing it into the discussion that Benji & Reggie's parents were absent quite a lot to "qualify" as being "out" for the whole summer. I'm sure they felt the beach atmosphere was a healthy place for growing boys (that sea air as opposed to breathing city fumes), but I also wondered if the boys being at the beach house was in any small part, a means of claiming they were really "out" even while they held down their careers in the city. Interesting point!

Inspired Contributor
mapleann

Whitehead described the dynamics of a summer community with accuracy. It rang very true to my Midwest experience of a summer cottage on a lake while growing-up. Who's out it huge. The first thing I did was check-out who was "out" for the summer. It was very important,I needed to know what kind of summer to expect.

There was also a social distinction for those who did not have a second home, for example they went to the local school by the lake. There was prestige in being able to travel and have a lake home. There was prestige in having lakefront versus backrow house with lake access. We would cut across lawns or walk in the shallow water to see if we could spot children inside cottages. If there was someone new, we spied on them from afar. Weekend renters were the hardest;we desired to play with them, but never did so because we knew that they would only last a week or two. Also, a dissonance reviberated through the cove when a neighbor did rent out their cottage. The adults muttered, the kids muttered, but it was known not to say anything because someone would only do that if it was a necessary evil. How could anyone choose not to spend their summer with the warm breeze, the water recreation, and good company.

There were cliques with adults and cliques with children. The fascinating part, much like in the story is that the socializing was a large part of the community. The summer was one long party that ended at Labor Day. It was the vacation spot that was the common bond for these individuals that came from all different communities, without the vacation spot these individuals' lives would have never entwined. When the individuals go back to their primary residence, there is no communication between them over the winter.

Each summer is its own "summer romance", one that is surely to end. That is also why asking how long a person is out is so important. How long will it be till we have to say goodbye?

Contributor
KimberlyH

Out being the interesting word.  Normally, the word "out" is thought of as being out of the game, not included, no longer part of the group.  Instead of having to be "all in" before the games or the fun on the island starts - everyone has to be "all out".  Perhaps this is going to be the place to escape the social "in" groups with the pressures of social and economic conformity associated with such.  A place to find and be oneself with others that are also "out" of the normal daily game ~ with those that share being on the "out".
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

This statement confused me at first but I assumed in meant who's out of school, who's out on the island, who's ready to get this summer going!  Jo
Inspired Contributor
BDonnelly
0 Kudos

"Out" is a term that's still used.  I have a small second home in the Hamptons (several towns over from Sag Harbor) and it's the second question I get when being greeted by someone.  First is how was your winter and second is how long are you out for.  My feeling when being asked that is there is an implication that if you aren't out for the whole summer you're less than.  And less than can be a lot of things, affluent, fortunate, lucky, etc.
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Its such a universal question in small summer communities..many moons ago,I spent some summers out that way,even worked in Ammagansett,and the question at the beginning of the summer was "How long are you out for"..The book to me is less about race,but more about how the six degrees of separation is apparent..I have not gone beyound the chapters listed,but relating to the changes Ben is going through,it has no age,just the growing factor,if that makes sense                            "Continuity gives us roots;change gives us branches,letting us stretch and grow and reach new heights"   --Pauline R. Kezer
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Correspondent
detailmuse
0 Kudos

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

It quickly changes from just a head-count of sorts to an awareness of social status, when it gets to the point of noticing who's not out yet and contemplating the reasons why they may not be.

I really liked this layering of meaning. It tells us something about Benji (oops, Ben!) -- that he notices the underlying meaning ... is he just growing up and more aware or is it foreshadowing his own situation?

Frequent Contributor
KCHaughawout
0 Kudos

Out meant being at Sag Harbor. People who were not out were broke or had problems and were gossipped about. At the beginning of the summer season, the most important question was who was out. If someone wasn't gossip started. Remember, these people probably didn't keep in contact over the winter so they were hungry for news of each other at the beginning of the season.

Karen

"Every burned book enlightens the world."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Inspired Contributor
fifenhorn
0 Kudos

being "out" was getting out of the city. It was important to be "out" early.  It meant you had time...you were the lucky one who could be there all summer. You got to check everything out first and know what was going on.

If you weren't "out" it might mean that you couldn't afford it - that something was wrong, that you were losing your status on Sag. 

I also think that it established pecking order. The ones who were "out" first knew everything that was going on, and established the hierarchy of who led the group.

Contributor
mdreik
0 Kudos

An interesting start to the book and really set the tone for how the summer community really was separate from the ordinary working lives. It almost was like two different lives - the one during the summer and one the other nine months out of the year. I was able to relate to the way the homes were passed from generation to generation.
mdreik
Reader
epicrat

[ Edited ]

mapleann wrote:

Each summer is its own "summer romance", one that is surely to end. That is also why asking how long a person is out is so important. How long will it be till we have to say goodbye?

This strikes a chord in me. Not that I had summer romances, but my family and I used to visit my relatives in California when I was younger. It was always a blast, but I was always sad when the summer ended and we had to fly back to the Midwest. Saying goodbye was never pleasant.

It was interesting that the author highlight being "out" at the very beginning. It truly sets the tone for the rest of the novel. Whether it's to the Hamptons or Europe, I think summer vacation, winter break, and Spring Break are still hot topics - and I think the school system as well as society makes it a big deal. I mean, aren't we asked "what did you on your summer/winter vacation" on the first day we get back into school? What does that imply? It sets up envy and embarrassment for those who haven't done anything...or anything worth sharing. I'm curious to see why his parents didn't come out with the boys and what does that mean.

Message Edited by epicrat on 02-17-2009 01:40 PM
Message Edited by epicrat on 02-17-2009 01:42 PM
Inspired Contributor
deaver
0 Kudos

Fifenforn says:

being "out" was getting out of the city. It was important to be "out" early.  It meant you had time...you were the lucky one who could be there all summer. You got to check everything out first and know what was going on.

If you weren't "out" it might mean that you couldn't afford it - that something was wrong, that you were losing your status on Sag. 

I also think that it established pecking order. The ones who were "out" first knew everything that was going on, and established the hierarchy of who led the group.

I agree with this assessment of the reading 100% and couldn't have put it better and more concisely. 

The youths were very fortunate to have Sag Harbor to escape to every summer and were very aware -- thus the opening questions of 'out.'  The question was basking in this fortune.