Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
ponkle
0 Kudos

Re: Who's out?

I really enjoyed the discussion of being "out". I had a similar experience growing up where we spent summers on the St. Lawrence River at the Thousand Island. We had our school friends during the year and our summer friends. Some people were weekend people, some came for a couple weeks, some for all summer. The first question we asked was how long you "up" for?
Inspired Contributor
canterbear
0 Kudos

So far I relate to alot of this book.

Enjoying the read.

"Out" is a good way of describing that concept. Who is there and who isnt.

I also like the Haunted house conecept..the lawns mowed, but no one home.

The people who dont come out anymore.

Great descriptions. 

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

I agree with Vivian in that "being out" had many layers to it depending on your age and your circumstances.  I loved the way Benjie used it to check out which of his friends were yet so that he could reconnect.  For Benjie and Reggie, those that were out for the summer became their group, how they defined themselves for a few months.

i actually marked some sections regarding being out.  On page 2 there is such a good definition of all the meanings with "the magical answer... Through Labor Day or the Whole Summer."  Anything less was to signal misfortune.  And again toward the bottom of the page "Once we're all out, we can begin."

I also wondered what it said about Benjie's father's method of being out early.  Avoiding traffic, leaving early.  Also his commentary regarding the radio music.  Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

kathy 

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

adopted1-  I like your observations about the parents.  I am not finished with the book yet but am starting to wonder the same thing.  Is this marriage/family having difficulty?  When Benjie talks about shutting the windows because his father is yelling and he doesn't want neighbors to hear.  The fact that the parents sound like their intent is to come out each weekend but don't.  Is it because of financial difficulties or marital problems.

Kathy 

Inspired Contributor
deaver
0 Kudos

Kathy there are some great thoughts about the flipping in and out of the radio stations in the first thread on double consciousness. Just an FYI.  Very interesting.
Inspired Contributor
deaver
0 Kudos

Kathy there are some great thoughts about the flipping in and out of the radio stations in the first thread on double consciousness. Just an FYI.  Very interesting.

To be more precise -- Roller Rink Infinity 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi regarding the father wanting to leave early(5am),is truly the only way to beat the traffic.Its the Long Island Expressway,the only way to Sag Harbor,The hamptons..Really if you leave much later,its bumper to bumper...,the radio switching,was just what parents do,but in Benjis case it was aways the same Easy listening karen Carpenter?and Afrocentric talk Radio..I will ask Colson what station that was,all i could think of was WLIB...Progressive black radio..Great Music..I am White and Karen Carpenter,was never on my radio,all of our questions will be answered...Someone out here had a link to an interview he did with "The New Yorker" I think you will enjoy it..and a peek inside his head...have a Good Night, VTc
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

I liked that the first thing the author talked about was the issue of out. Being out, how long you're out for, who else is out were all good questions that took top priority when first arriving in Sag Harbor. It threw you into the world of summer vacationing (which by the way I'm ready for). Being out meant you were one of the fortunate people able to leave city life behind. If you weren't out or couldn't stay out the entire summer something was wrong and you were the subject of everyone's gossip. I think those staying out the entire summer used these questions to get a feel for what their summer was going to be like: who they'd be hanging out with, whose houses and parties everyone would be at. It would also be a good way to catch up with people you wouldn't normally see. Sort of a conversation starter.  
April
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

The New Yorker Mag 12/18/08 Colson Whitehead ..Interview and they also critique a chapter(I will not tell you which one)I read it weeks ago,but it hasn't inteferred with my reading.There was a  link in some thread..but I just googled it..VTC

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
Silvia
0 Kudos

"Oout" means getting out of the ciy and going to Sag Harbor. If you weren't "out" you might could not afford it or maybe something was wrong or maybe you were losing your place at Sag Harbor.
Contributor
valorietucker
0 Kudos

Being "out" is a big deal.  If you're not "out" something is wrong.  It could mean the family has moved, no longer has the financial means, or no longer has the time.  Regardless of why a person is not "out," they are excluded from the happenings and joys of Sag Harbor.  They are no longer a part of the community.
New User
spacmann
0 Kudos

To be "out"  means to have left the city for Sag Harbor.  The implication of not being out are some change in circumstance or status, but could also mean that not being out is being left out.  This is the first question because this is a community of vacationers.  They probably only see each other during the summer months (3-4 months) and many things can happen.  There is the community, but there are also groups.  This exchange of information isn't merely a form of gossip, but a ritual in belonging, being part of the group.
Inspired Contributor
gringorn
0 Kudos

"Out" means out of the city, out of the everyday life, out of living in a world where you probably are in the minority.  In Sag Harbor, families are on equal footing and status is based on how much money you have and other accroutrements of success rather than how you fit in to the white world.
Frequent Contributor
Dances_through_Books
0 Kudos

Who's out? is a competition set up by the adults.  To be out is to be in Sag Harbor. To be out implies high social status, class, money, affluence.  The more affluent tended to be "out" first and early.  There's an implication that if you aren't "out" for the whole summer, or early in the summer, and do not stay for the whole summer that something must be wrong. That family then loses "points" in the competition.

This competition is then transferred to the children, due to the adults constantly talking about who's out and who's not.  To the children, it's mostely about "who can I play with/hang up with this summer." But to the adults it's about scandal and gossip.

Reader
OpenMindInsertBook
0 Kudos

If you're 'out,' you've arrived. You're a part of the scene. Those who aren't out are subject to suspicion and gossip. Those are are out are part of the in-crowd.
Frequent Contributor
adopted1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Kathy...I too am still reading the book.

There is definately something going on in the family. What about when the lights got turned off for non-payment. Benji called his mom and all she said that there was some sort of mix up. Makes me wonder what is really going on. Hmmmmmmm.

Message Edited by rkubie on 02-18-2009 12:08 AM
adopted1
Contributor
JAmber
0 Kudos

If you are "out," you are at you summer house in Sag Harbor. The only reason not to be out is if something in your life has changed, leading to the questions; who's out and what happened to those who aren't out or when will they be out? Everyone seems to be looking for familiar faces and questioning why others aren't out. And, it is best to be out for the whole summer!
Inspired Contributor
ilenekm
0 Kudos

I agree with many of the posts in this discussion.  Being 'out' is being part of the 'in' crowd. If you are not 'out' you are missing 'out'
New User
Ruareader
0 Kudos

Being "out" meant being out in Sag Harbor for the summer vacation, whatever the duration. If you weren't "out" it was usually because of financial, work or other obligations. People came "out" at different times.

I think this was the foremost question in the community because it let the other residents know who was "out", meaning which families were in Sag Harbor and which ones weren't. It was kind of like taking inventory--so and so's here but so and so hasn't come out yet.

Contributor
koren56
0 Kudos

Being out seemed to be a social class system and a way of finding out where you were at on the social pecking order and where others were. The longer you were out for, the higher you were in the social pecking order.