Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
computerblonde
0 Kudos

Re: Who's out?

I agree with a lot of the posters reguarding the views of out.  The dynamics of how the social agenda played apart of being "out".  You came to Sag to show you still were sucessful and had money.  For Benji, being "out" was being able to express an identiy he wasn't fully able to at school.    The term of being "out" changed for me later in the book with all the issues going on in Benji's family, from his sister no longer coming out as much.  You find the real reason, besides just college.  Every chapter "out"got more layers.  You got to see the houses no one came to, the families that were breaking up, and the children being left alone.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

computerblonde: I am glad you gave me some clues to the rest of it. I was getting down because I am alittle behind in reading this.  Thanks

computerblonde wrote:

I agree with a lot of the posters reguarding the views of out.  The dynamics of how the social agenda played apart of being "out".  You came to Sag to show you still were sucessful and had money.  For Benji, being "out" was being able to express an identiy he wasn't fully able to at school.    The term of being "out" changed for me later in the book with all the issues going on in Benji's family, from his sister no longer coming out as much.  You find the real reason, besides just college.  Every chapter "out"got more layers.  You got to see the houses no one came to, the families that were breaking up, and the children being left alone.

Frequent Contributor
Jennd1
0 Kudos

Who's out was code for who's here.  It was a way of doing social accounting.  If you were not out for the whole summer it lowered your status.
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

What does it mean to be "out?" What are the implications if you aren't? Why is this the first and foremost question in this community?

I loved this whole concept and the way the author set-up the ambience of Sag Harbor.  I can just imagine the kids rushing to their bikes or other modes of transportation as soon as they arrive to learn who's "out" and re-convene for the summer.  Such a great "roll-call" tradition the kids had that brought them all back together to pick up where they left off, or better yet begin re-inventing themselves over the summer.

It reminded me a great deal of the time I spent at the neighborhood clubhouse/pool over the summers.  The main reason to go there had nothing to do with the amenities, but had everything to do with the anticipation of catching up with friends, seeing everyone and beeing seen.

Being "out" in Sag Harbor was when the vacation, fun, freedom, and adventure began.  It was a time to catch up with other friends who were lucky enough to be "out", too.  I think Sag Harbor also served as more than just a social outlet.  It was a place for some vacationers to relax and be someone else, separate from who they had to be at home.  It was also a place to explore possibilities, try-out new things, and learn from each other (good or bad). The longer you could be "out", the better.

Those who weren't fortunate enough to be "out" were likely suffering it out at home and missing all the fun.  It implied that the family had to alter their vacation priorities for one reason or another and it was usually believed to be the result of a hardship.Whatever the reason, not being "out" was reason for speculation by the adults for the most part. I think the kids focused more on who WAS "out" rather than who wasn't or why. They just wanted to see how the group dynamic was going to turn out and get down to the business of enjoying the summer.

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

Being "out" means you are on "vacation" . You are in Sag Harbor and away from your normal routine. If you are not out then everyone who is out speculates about what is causing you not to be out.

It is a big deal to be out and very important socially to find out who else is out.

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I’m enjoying the author’s light and humorous touch on serious subjects. For example, his play on words and how he layers multiple meanings on a simple phrase like coming “out”. Not only is a family’s physical coming “out” a barometer of their economic well-being, but so is the length of their stay … a long visit means one thing, and a short one means something else.

In the wonderful section about the “haunted houses”, those absent friends not coming “out” is a reminder to Ben and his friends that someday they themselves will no longer be coming to Sag Harbor.

Another layer to coming “out” is the emotional repercussions on those who are there by those who are not. Ben seems indifferent about his parents’ unexplained absences. He focuses on the benefits of having an “empty house” but never gives a second thought to why the electricity bill wasn’t paid or why his otherwise responsible mother leaves themunattended for so long.

And there are the psychological layers to coming “out”. Sag Harbor is a fun and safe place for three months when Ben can self-identify with his black friends. They are so different from those with whom he spends the other nine months of the year. Is the Ben who comes "out" in the posh private school the same Ben who comes out in Sag Harbor?

One question that intrigues me as I continue reading is… did the authentic Ben come “out” to Sag Harbor, or did his impersonator? Are the two Bens one and the same young man?Will we witness Ben combining both these personae to become the wonderful author who wrote this book?

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

computerblonde wrote:

I read through the posting and this seems to echo my thoughts more closely on "out"
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

I'm assuming that "out" meant "out of the city."

0 Kudos

I haven't gotten past the first week's reading yet, but am wondering how much we will see of the life back in the city to contrast with the life in Sag Harbor.  We've seen a bit of it so far, but not much.
0 Kudos

Hi, I haven't received my book yet, but after reading many posts, yours seems to sum all of

theirs up.  I don't feel so left out.  I CAN'T wait to get it.

Tammy

Tamfish1
Frequent Contributor
mgorbatjuk
0 Kudos

I took "out" to mean who was at Sag Harbor and who wasn't. I have such a visualization of a group of boys wondering around the neighborhood on squeeky bikes that have been immobile for the winter looking to see whose there and whose not.
Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

Page 2 says, "Once we're all out, we can begin." Schools out, we're out of the city, out in Sag Harbor, summer can begin. yvonne
Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

I was in Chapter 2 and feeling really disjointed so I just started the book over again. I am so glad I did.  I caught many more nuances than the first time through - like "out".  It seems the author really believes there are three questions to be solved to answer the question of out. 1) When did you get out? 2) How long are you out for? 3) Who else is out? The subtleties of the various answers place you in various stages of status.  Yet the all important declaration is "Once we're all out, we can begin".

The summer, the season, the new chapter of life all begins now.

SandyS

Inspired Contributor
drbjaded
0 Kudos

To be "out' is to be in Sag Harbor and away from wherever it is you came from.  If you are not "out" then you may think you're too good to be at Sag Harbor.  The first question is "How long are you out for?" 
"You cannot love life until you live the life you love."
Contributor
Cesspria
0 Kudos

I've just started the book, but here is what I get from "out" so far.

It means in Sag Harbor, and for the kids, it means free to have fun and be carefree. It also means, especially for the adults, an indication of the current economic status of the family. It seems like even Ben picks up on the economic aspect, but for the adults, this must be magnified.

Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Like ponkle (a previous post), who's "out" is like who's "up" for me as well.  We have a cabin in Northern MN but it is more a weekend thing.  By the time the younger stragglers -who couldn't leave their jobs early- arrive late Friday night, the ones who got there earlier -or those who were lucky enough to be able to take Friday off and come up Thursday night- know the answer to who [else] is "up" for the weekend.  The answer can predict the amount of solitude (ahhhh) or activity (darn jet skis) on the lake as well as generate conversations about those who aren't up or haven't been up lately and why if you have a cabin would you not come up?!
ponie
Contributor
Hillabeans69
0 Kudos

"Out" means to be out of normal life and on vacation.  Out of town for example.  If you aren't out your stuck in a rut and missing out of the fun.  This is the foremost question I believe as it shows this family is higher than some others as they can afford to be "out" and live a second life away from home.
Hill-a-beans
New User
AnnLS
0 Kudos

Being out means the summer has officially started.  School's out and you..are...free! Not being out means "something" has happened and its likely not something good.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I just realized that "all" there can have multiple meanings. 

maude40 wrote:
Page 2 says, "Once we're all out, we can begin." Schools out, we're out of the city, out in Sag Harbor, summer can begin. yvonne

[ Edited ]
Yup, it began dawning on me yesterday (Saturday) - perhaps somethings not right on the home front that "all" are not out.  I won't say anymore at this point.
Everyman wrote:

I just realized that "all" there can have multiple meanings. 

maude40 wrote:

Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 02-22-2009 06:12 AM
Message Edited by Carmenere_lady on 02-22-2009 06:12 AM
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire