KxBurns
0 Kudos

Community Room

Here is a space for you to discuss topics not related to The Believers. Pull up a virtual chair and get comfy :smileyhappy: 

Two things to note: after you receive your ARC, you should not use this thread to begin discussing the book! And, as on other parts of this board, we expect you to keep your exchanges in here respectful and civil.

Enjoy!

Karen 

Frequent Contributor
LucyintheOC
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]
I would like to ask everyone what they read over the summer and their opinions! Also, what have you begun as fall is on its way? I'm always on the lookout for a book recommendation or caution! I read across all genre lines, so please share your thoughts  and opinions while we wait for news on our acceptance for The Believers! I think it would be really nice to hear what you have to say.
Message Edited by LucyintheOC on 09-19-2008 09:08 PM
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

LucyintheOC wrote:
I would like to ask everyone what they read over the summer and their opinions! Also, what have you begun as fall is on its way? I'm always on the lookout for a book recommendation or caution! I read across all genre lines, so please share your thoughts  and opinions while we wait for news on our acceptance for The Believers! I think it would be really nice to hear what you have to say.

Hi LucyintheOC-------Great idea. My in person book club just finished a non-fiction book that reads like a novel----Sudden Sea: The Great Hurricane of 1938 by R.A. Scotti. We couldn't put it down. But to us, it's very relevant. It's the 70th anniversary of that disaster and we live in New England and know or knew people who went through this hurricane! I'm also waiting to see if I get in First Look for The Believers. I have not previously read anything by this author. It looks very interesting and I would love discussing it with everyone.

Librarian

CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

I read "Child 44" this summer and thought it was a great thriller. It is set in Stalinist Russia and is Tom Rob Smith's first novel. The mystery is in it but also love and family. I really liked it.
CAG
dhaupt
0 Kudos

LucyintheOC wrote:

A great idea since I read so much I'll just list a few of my more memorable reads.
The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson - A very outside of the box novel, but I really enjoyed it. An epic love story that traverses 700 years.
Diane Gabaldon's Outlander series The epic love story of Jamie and Claire very good
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - The story of a reluctant time traveler and the woman he always comes home to.
Say Goodbye by Lisa Gardner - A thriller by one of my all time favorite authors starring characters that she's made my favorites also.
Left to Die by Lisa Jackson - another thriller by another of my favorites and a new series for her
Killer View by Ridley Pearson - the second in his series starring sheriff Walt Fleming and it was a whirl wind ride.
Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas - we read this for the General Fiction book club here at B&N, this book was a real wake up call for me, it was about a small town in Colorado where the government placed a Japanese/American internment camp during WW11. I knew about these camps from my history books, but during the discussion we also talked about the Italian and German/American detainees and that was something I was clueless about.
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - we're reading this for my in person book club through my local library. It's a hard book to read dealing with the murder and mutilation of a teenaged girl told from her perch in heaven. 

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room "Child 44"

CAG wrote:
I read "Child 44" this summer and thought it was a great thriller. It is set in Stalinist Russia and is Tom Rob Smith's first novel. The mystery is in it but also love and family. I really liked it.

I read "Child 44" because it was a BN recommended read.  I wasn't disappointed.

MG

Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36
0 Kudos

My in-person book club just finished "The Sister" by Poppy Adams -- not a bad book but not necessarily the genre I enjoy. I generally read alot of paranormal fiction but also read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" which I loved.  "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" is also very good.
Contributor
se_lyon
0 Kudos

Great idea!

I re-read the Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane mysteries by Dorothy L Sayers this summer. It had been a long time since I had read these elegant books and I loved them just as much this time. They are smart, romantic and suspenseful and if you have never read them I highly recommend doing so. The 4 books in the series are: Strong Poison, Have His Carcasse, Goudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon.

~ Sarah
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

You're right.  Wonderful books.

Not everybody knows that Dorothy Sayers was a legitimate intellectual in her own right, a first class honors graduate of Somerville College, Oxford, a poet, playwright, and translator of Dante.  

se_lyon wrote:

Great idea!

I re-read the Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane mysteries by Dorothy L Sayers this summer. It had been a long time since I had read these elegant books and I loved them just as much this time. They are smart, romantic and suspenseful and if you have never read them I highly recommend doing so. The 4 books in the series are: Strong Poison, Have His Carcasse, Goudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon.

0 Kudos

I read quite a few books, but I think my favorite this summer was One Mississippi by Mark Childress.  I am reading Crazy in Alabama now and it's wonderful.  His writing style is unique in how he can be very witty and entertaining, and then turn things around into what is sometimes brutal reality.  The characters are always so well defined and you find yourself getting lost in the story.  One Mississippi ended much differently than I expected, but it made sense when you thought about the story as a whole.  Oh, and I also loved Lesley Kagen's new book Land of a Hundred Wonders.  It is her follow up to Whistling in the Dark.  Both are outstanding. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  I guess I can add a few more things to my cart!  -Jeanie:smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

This has been quite a busy summer for me also. Whew! Lots of books into my brain also.  "The Book Thief by Mark Zuruk, Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen and TallGrass by Sandra Dallas. These were all in the Fiction Book club. We vote on books and then read one every month. Anyone that doesn't have a club they are busy with, should join us. Debbook is such a great helper with the club. She counts our votes and keeps up with our nominations and post questions and interests we might enjoy. She is the best moderator and is not a paid one either. We are very thankful for her.  Besides those, I have read The story of Edgar Sawtelle and Loving Frank. Also I have read Paulo Coelho's Zahir and eleven minutes. He is such a delightful man and can he ever write emotional and then some. I read Rebecca and Rebecca's Tale and both are really great reads. Also reading FeatherMan on Explorers Club and that is a super book.

I probably have read others but can't remember. 

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Summer Reading

LucyintheOC wrote:
I would like to ask everyone what they read over the summer and their opinions! Also, what have you begun as fall is on its way?

I did not read as much as I would have liked to this summer. Also I've been on a bit of a Young Adult/Children's book kick. I loved Cornelia Funke's Inkworld series and Lord of the Thieves. Inkworld is especially neat because it's very meta-fictional; the characters enter and participate in a story that the father reads aloud.

I read the Twilight series as well; I thought the first one was oddly compelling (so I finished the series), but I grew increasingly concerned with the books' thematic commitments as I read (I felt they limited female choice, and that Bella was a terrible heroine--I can't get behind someone who won't join a library because they don't have enough books [small detail, I know, but I thought it was very telling] and who can't imagine anything in her life beyond love [horribly unromantic of me, I know]). I cannot begin to express my disappointment with Breaking Dawn; I thought that Meyer completely changed several of her characterizations and violated many of her series' internal rules to write an ending that was unsatisfying and made the characters' sacrifices and choices throughout the series essentially meaningless.

I also have been enjoying Margaret Frazer's Dame Frevisse series. These are medieval murder mysteries set in an English priory in the 15th century. I enjoy them more for the ambiance and the milieu rather than the plotting; some of them are hardly your standard body-in-the-library who-dun-it. (I also agree with the commenter who loves the Lord Peter mysteries by Dorothy Sayers, by the way; I'm just starting to read her translations and plays).

This fall, I'm back in classes, which means I'm reading a lot of Milton, a lot of theory, and some literature from the US and hemispheric (ie Latin America/South America/Caribbean) Souths. I just finished Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner again, and I cannot recommend it highly enough to anyone interested in the US South. It is like a fine wine, it gets better with age (that is, with re-reading it as you grow).

dhaupt
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

This has been quite a busy summer for me also. Whew! Lots of books into my brain also.  "The Book Thief by Mark Zuruk, Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen and TallGrass by Sandra Dallas. These were all in the Fiction Book club. We vote on books and then read one every month. Anyone that doesn't have a club they are busy with, should join us. Debbook is such a great helper with the club. She counts our votes and keeps up with our nominations and post questions and interests we might enjoy. She is the best moderator and is not a paid one either. We are very thankful for her.  Besides those, I have read The story of Edgar Sawtelle and Loving Frank. Also I have read Paulo Coelho's Zahir and eleven minutes. He is such a delightful man and can he ever write emotional and then some. I read Rebecca and Rebecca's Tale and both are really great reads. Also reading FeatherMan on Explorers Club and that is a super book.

I probably have read others but can't remember. 

Here here on congratulating Debbook, she has made the experience very good for me as well.

Contributor
shesha35
0 Kudos

I have spent the summer catching up on series reads,and some other book boards group reads.

My favorite so far is the Twilight Series.I did not think i would like them but so far i am enjoying it.I just finished New Moon and have Eclipse waiting for me at the library.Other good ones I read this summer was Old Wound and In A Dark Season by Vicki LaneChange of Heart by Jodi Picoult,Carrot Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke,Cirque Du Freak book 1,Vampire Kisses book 1,and Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz.

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

From the top of my head, I remember reading the following

books during the summer (I may be missing one or two):

Dragon Bones by Lisa See

The Malice Box by Martin Langfield

A fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

Atonement by Ian McEwan

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos

Contributor
kolsonheld
0 Kudos

It's been a summer of light reading for me. I discovered Jodi Picoult last spring, and have been working my way through all of her books. Pontoon by Garrison Keillor was great as was Hard Air by Scott Olsen, some adventure essays. I read The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie, which was the first book I'd read by her. I am trying to make my way through Wicked. I love the musical but am having a harder time getting into the book.
Karin
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

I read Wicked a couple of years ago. Not an easy book to get into. I am glad I read it and moved on. It was enjoyable when I stuck with it. Definitely not my cup of tea.

Deb

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

I have to get off this computer. I have been on for hours catching up on posts. I need to read and perhaps sleep. See you all tomorrow.
Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Reader 2
3boyscreations
0 Kudos

This summer I have read many great books, but I will only list a few:

The Twilight Series, I read them all in one week!

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

Those are both young adult tiltles but worthy of reading by any adult.

Also Anita Shreve, Jodi Picoult, Karen Kingsbury and of course Nicholas Sparks is releasing his new one on the 30th of this month, I am so excited!!!

Frequent Contributor
LucyintheOC
0 Kudos

I had picked up Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and Mirror, Mirror some time ago and didn't care for them, but the thought I would try Wicked because of the popularity of the stage production--I thought maybe I would like it better than the other books. You just never know -- you can really like something an author has written but that's no guarantee you'll like everything he or she writes everytime a new book is  published by them. That being said, I didn't care for Wicked any more than the other tow. Maquire's writing isn't my cup of tea, either, I guess. I wish it were, because he's very creative. I gave the books to a fellow member of an in-person book club I belong to because she really likes his writing.

By the way, not that my opinion or thank you is important, but since I was the one who initially asked if people would share book opinions, I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to share; I'm really enjoying reading what everyone has written.

Has anyone read The Shack? I was standing in a line the other day and got into a book conversation with the person behind me (imagine that...talking about books...what a surprise! lol). Anyway, she highly recommended it and I wanted to ask for any opinions anyone might have on this book.