Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

News, Schedules & Updates

We're pleased to announce that one of our featured selections for October's First Look is a forthcoming novel entitled The Believers by Zoë Heller.  

Participants in the First Look Book Club will receive a free advance reading copy, plus the exclusive opportunity to discuss the book with Heller and other readers.

If you have not yet enrolled, go to this thread for all the details. Quantities are limited, so sign up today.  When you receive your enrollment confirmation by PM, go to Karen's Welcome thread and introduce yourself to your fellow First Look readers.  The ARCs will be mailed in later this month.  

Be sure to check this thread often to stay up-to-date on news about this club.

We're thrilled to share this book with you and hope you enjoy the discussion!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Re: News, Schedules & Updates

We've started to open your requests and will begin to send out confirmations next week.  At that time, we'll post another update.

Thanks to everyone who signed up for Zoë's book club!

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

The first round of confirmations have been sent!

If you sent your registration for The Believers before 8:00 PM on 9-15 and gave us all the information we requested, and did not also try to sign up for the other First Look Book Club being offered (or try to sign up your friends on your account), then you should have your confirmation waiting for you in your PM box.  Please be sure your PM is enabled.  If it is not, then we cannot communicate your confirmation to you.

We're working on the second round of confirmations now.

More to come soon!

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Good afternoon!

Another round of confirmations have been sent.  If you submitted your information by 12:00 AM on 9-17, then you should have a PM waiting for you.

More to come!

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Another round of confirmations have been sent to those who registered before 11:59 PM on 9-19.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

We sent out more confirmations.  Essentially, if you enrolled as of this AM, you should have a PM waiting for you. 

And the books started mailing yesterday, so look for it in your mail!

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Discussion Schedule

[ Edited ]

Hello readers!

Below is the discussion schedule. I know some of the topics seem broad and I'm sure there will be overlap, but I believe we're going to have some really rich conversations about this book!

October 20th:

Prologue and Part I (Chapters 1-4)

Audrey & Joel

Politics and Radicalism

October 27th:

Part II (Chapters 5-8)

Rosa

Religion

**author Zoë Heller joins us to discuss the book

November 3rd:

Part III (Chapters 9-18)

Lenny

Family

November 10th:

Part IV (Chapters 19-24)

Karla

Feminism

Final Thoughts

Please be aware that spoiler rules will only be in effect on the threads discussing specific chapter groupings (Parts I, II, and III). On these threads you are not permitted to reference sections of the book beyond those under discussion. For example, you should not talk about what happens at the end of the book during the discussion of Part II. If this is at all unclear, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to elaborate.

On all other threads, the whole book is fair game, so you might want to steer clear of these threads until you finish the book.

Meet you back here on October 20th!

Karen

Message Edited by KxBurns on 10-04-2008 12:04 PM
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

More confirmations have gone out.  If you signed up as of this AM, and followed the directions, you should have a confirmation waiting for you in your PM box.

Thanks for your interest, we're greatly looking forward to our discussion!

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

I know we're all excited about this book and can't wait to get started on the discussion, but for the sake of the group, please remember that discussion of the book does not begin until Monday, October 20.  That includes your general impressions about the book.

Many thanks for your cooperation!

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

This board is now locked. 

What does that mean?

Only those who are registered for this Book Club will be able to post messages to the author and each another.  However, everyone is free to read the discussion as it happens.

Enjoy the conversation!

KxBurns
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I notice that many of you have set up your new My B&N profiles and that's great! My own is a work-in-progress :smileyhappy:

I just wanted to remind you that the profiles are set to "private" by default, so if you'd like to share yours be sure to change the setting to "public" so others can view it. To change your privacy settings, go to My B&N and look on the top of your main profile page, where you'll see the privacy options.

Best,

Karen