Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Part IV (Ch. 19-24)

Karla and Rosa have made changes in their lives within this book's time frame. I feel they feel these changes will lead to more changes especially as they age and then life will be fulfilling for both of them. Karla's husband controlled her and made her feel as little as an ant when she didn't agree to do things his way.  I think this change will work out a better life for her. And if Rosa finds her way with religion then maybe she will live a more fulfilled life also.

As far, as Lenny is concerned, he had alot against him from the beginning, even before Audrey and Joel adopted him. Excepting the fact his mom didnt live a life so he could be with her and also there was a conflict of interest with Audrey and Joel playing opposite roles as disciplinaries. He needed this in his life also to make him a strong individual and he would be able to make the right choices for himself. He has a fifty fifty chance to make it now that Audrey has seen the light and is not protecting him against the raft but trying to show him she is by his side through it all.

maude40 wrote:
It seemed to me that Lenny was the only one who might make a life for himself. If he stays away from his disfunctional family he might have a chance . Whereas Karla and Rosa are both struggling to find their way and really don't have a course laid out.

Contributor
Jennie77
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

maude40 wrote:
I don't really understand what Audrey hoped to gain by announcing Berenice and Jamil at the funeral. Although maybe doing it publicly was a way for her to accept it and deal with it.

Maude,

In my opinion, the only reason Audrey announced Berenice was so that she would still have the apparent upperhand. It was her way of controlling how and when the information about Joel's "love child" would get out.  While I generally like to look for the good in others, I think Audrey's motives were self-serving.  I don't believe she did it to accept them.  Rather, I think she did it to show that she could.  There was a great shock factor in doing it that way.  If she was doing it for the good of the family, she may have told Berenice first and had her seated somewhere near the family.  But, like I said, that's my opinion....

Message Edited by Jennie77 on 11-19-2008 03:32 PM
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

maude40 wrote:
I don't really understand what Audrey hoped to gain by announcing Berenice and Jamil at the funeral. Although maybe doing it publicly was a way for her to accept it and deal with it.

By going public first, Audrey keeps Berenice from sueing her for part of Joel's estate.  She can control what Berenice gets by her acceptance.  She also keeps the affair from becoming a scandle against Joel.  It was a pretty clever move.  She may not like her, but she doesn't become the second best.

MG

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

detailmuse wrote:

KxBurns wrote:
Which characters choose change, who chooses to maintain the status quo, and why?

What is the outlook for Audrey, Karla, Rosa, and Lenny as the novel ends?

Hoo boy, I fear I'm pessimistic here. I think all but Lenny have changed, but only a teeny bit -- and mostly just into new ways of doing their same old thing.

Audrey publicly acknowledged Berenice and Jamil, and I do think they will mix a bit into a tribe. But I think Audrey's motivation for doing so was to protect the forthcoming Foundation, which will be her work and livelihood and reputation moving forward.

Rosa needs to live within a tight structure and Orthodox Judaism is it for now.

Karla needs to hide in a relationship, Khaled is a safe, loving choice for now.

Lenny needs to withdraw from life, drugs and Mom work for now.

I actually saw Lenny as changing his life and standing upi to Mom when he declared that he was staying as an apprentice and asked Mom not to smoke around him.  Jo

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Jo,

what about when he went back home? Do you see him as keeping his good habits or going back to Lenny of the past? 

Frequent Contributor
Jodi
0 Kudos

Chapter 19

Audrey went and visited Lenny. Audrey met his sponsor.  Lenny is going to live in Pennselvania.  Jean told Audrey to basically move on with her life without Joel.  Audrey says no she'll all done.

Chapter 20

Karla and Rose went to Berenice's apartment and talked about her and Joel's relationship.  They didn't meet the kid.

Chapter 21

Rosa went to the girls show and was very disappointed on there performance and Khaled really let her have it.